Do we have a Craft Beer thread?

Posted 386 day(s) ago 7051 Views 212 Replies
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3

Do we have a Craft Beer thread?

currently a big fan of this - Odell Brewing company out of Colorado....their Pale Ale is pretty tasty as well.

4 users like Sooner JK's post: Aurora, burnsyo, Mixer!, Wailer

No pics, but I've been drinking waaaayyy too much beer lately. Mainly because the winter offerings are so delicious. I've really like Anchor's Merry Christmas Happy New Year beer. Full Sail has a winter beer called Wassail that is great. Also the Widmer Bros have one called BRRRRR that is fantastic. I can't get enough of them. My belly growing by the day is proof. Also Mustang Brewery has a Peanut butter stout that is surprisingly good. I didn't think I would like it but I do.
    2 users like Wailer's post: Mixer!, Sooner JK

Originally Posted by Wailer View Post
    No pics, but I've been drinking waaaayyy too much beer lately. Mainly because the winter offerings are so delicious. I've really like Anchor's Merry Christmas Happy New Year beer. Full Sail has a winter beer called Wassail that is great. Also the Widmer Bros have one called BRRRRR that is fantastic. I can't get enough of them. My belly growing by the day is proof. Also Mustang Brewery has a Peanut butter stout that is surprisingly good. I didn't think I would like it but I do.
    if you can find a Breckenridge Christmas brew - please do - it's fantastic

i had a sip of a peanut-ty stout the other day at Village Burger down here - wasn't a huge fan of it
    3 users like Sooner JK's post: Mixer!, odin's beard, Wailer

Founders Backwoods **** is legit. 100% grade A legit. Only B'vards Rye on Rye touches it, which is in my opinion the best beer on the planet.

Currently drinking Lagunitas Brown Sugga Ale. Excellent stuff.
    2 users like Bruno Gianelli's post: Aurora, Mixer!

So my wife and I hit all the local breweries when we go to away games and I have to say COOP and Marshslls are hard to beat beer for beer. Really liked the Black Horse offerings out of Knoxville too. The Deep Ellum Brewery Blonde Ale is an outstanding anytime beer.
    3 users like 82XFire's post: Aurora, burnsyo, Mixer!

How bad it sucks...???

Originally Posted by 82XFire View Post
    So my wife and I hit all the local breweries when we go to away games and I have to say COOP and Marshslls are hard to beat beer for beer. Really liked the Black Horse offerings out of Knoxville too. The Deep Ellum Brewery Blonde Ale is an outstanding anytime beer.
    I am a dedicated local beer enthusiast however besides their Spare Rib Pale Ale and Negative Split Ale I have just not been impressed by COOP. My current beer crush is on Anthem's Arjuna and Uroboros. In the end it is ALL better than the InBev bullshit.

Originally Posted by 82XFire View Post
    i like just about all of the Deep Ellum offerings - the pale ale is a fave, as is the Dallas Blonde...they have a seasonal mexican lager that is really good as well
    The following users like this post: Aurora

We have some good craft beer in the Houston area, Saint Arnolds is my jam, they make so many I love. Their Oktoberfest is so good. Santo is my regular gig, and the Christmas beer is pretty good too. I also love their Stout.

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    How bad it sucks...???
    Not our fault you drink shit for beer and have no taste.

The wife and I are doing another craft beer tour today before we head off to the Keys. I'll post my notes

Miami Brew Tour
    Warm up at Kush before the tour starts
    6 Point Brewery in Brooklyn, 6 Point Crisp. Light easy drinking

Funky Buddha Brewery near Hollywood FL.
    Little Nicky blonde ale - mango, lime, salt and chili peppers.
    ****y, taste all the flavors. Served in a snifter

Fugettaboutit red ale - Malty touch of sour. Biscuity

Hop Gun ipa - Tastes just like atlas ipa from Marshall's.

Floridian Hefeweizen - banana, cloves, citrus. Good flavor clove is understated.

Nips Smuggler - milk porter, not too milky. Hint of vanilla.
    2 users like 82XFire's post: Aurora, Sooner JK

LauderAle Brewery
    GoseZilla - gose style beer, sour tastes tomatoes.

El Nino- blonde ale, easy drinking on a hot day but blondes are.

J. Pinkman - American pale ale, medium ipa, not too bitter, hint of coconut

Gulf Stream Cream - cream ale, hint of corn.

Now these are just the ones I've tried. Being from the Budwieser Miller generation my tastes are maturing.
    The following users like this post: Sooner JK

Wynwood Brewery

Wynwood IPA - typical ipa, hoppy with a bitter finish.

La Rubia Blonde Ale - same ol same ol.

Good not great, very busy tap room, trendy area, hipsters and young families bringing their children.

i cant remember the last time i had a bud, coors, mich lite, etc.....it's been ages

life is too short to drink shit beer
    The following users like this post: Aurora

For several years I've bought High Life for the lakehouse and when we float in a cove at lake tenkiller. It's cheap, plentiful and drinks with any lake food. It's in the fall and winter months I start buying craft in bulk.

My latest favorite is Lazy Magnolia Southern Pecan. It's got a great pecan flavor. It's best as a draft and Tapwerks has it.

under the sheets

If you live near or in Edmond and like to try local brews then stop by the Patriarch. Cool pub/biergarten that has ALL of the local brews in Oklahoma. Best selection of Oklahoma brews you will find anywhere.
    The following users like this post: Sooner JK

there's a new place in Allen - for those of you in the DEE-EFF-DUB - right off Watters and 121 - The Brass Tap with 200 ish craft brews on tap - food is just so so - but the beer selection is superb

Pirate bomb is delicious!
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

I was in Washington DC this week for work and had a Chesapeake Alewerks Pale Ale - very very nice (smooth) pale ale

back closer to home in Allen - is a local micro brew - Nine Band - they've got several brews that I think are really good - the Pale Ale, Summer June Bug (their version of Blue Moon - only better) - and their own bock - Blue Lacey (not available in cans yet) - which is friggin awesome

2 users like VUGear's post: Bruno Gianelli, OUMallen

I'm sorry, but since this is Oklahoma, we need to set some ground rules.

1. No posting in this thread after midnight.
    2. No posting from grocery/convenience stores.
    3. No posting when room is chilled.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

Originally Posted by SixBean View Post
    I'm sorry, but since this is Oklahoma, we need to set some ground rules.

1. No posting in this thread after midnight.
    2. No posting from grocery/convenience stores.
    3. No posting when room is chilled.
    All posts must be sold to a distributor and held on property for 24 hours, before being posted.
    2 users like DIB's post: OUMallen, SixBean

Originally Posted by LordOfLittlePeople View Post
    Pirate bomb is delicious!
    Were you at Saints yesterday?

Got some Iron Monk imperial yesterday at Freeman's after trying it in Stillwater. Some pretty good shit.

Anybody had DogFish Head 90 or 120 minute IPA?

Originally Posted by apr727 View Post
    Anybody had DogFish Head 90 or 120 minute IPA?
    ive had both. 90 minute is probably my favorite IPA. the 120 was about 8 times the cost, and tasted about the same to me.

ive been drinking a lot of this lately: the Renewal and the Longwalk are fantastic. and its brewed literally a mile from my house here in Austin

The following users like this post: apr727

The COOP ****y Hawaiian is delicious but I can't have more than one at a time. Too ****y!
    The following users like this post: Hermit

Was in Ontario last week....these were a few I remember

Prison Break
    Lunatic Fridge
    Steam Whistle
    Dead Elephant IPA
    10W30

Had a couple of Coop F5 IPAs today at McNellie's in Tulsa. Never had those before. Will drink again.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Had a couple of Coop F5 IPAs today at McNellie's in Tulsa. Never had those before. Will drink again.
    Have you tried Coop Alpha Hive? Another great IPA they make

Headed back to OKC this weekend. Probably only have time for one tap room. Which should I check out?

Originally Posted by LordOfLittlePeople View Post
    The COOP ****y Hawaiian is delicious but I can't have more than one at a time. Too ****y!
    I tried this last weekend, and did not expect to like it , would not have ordered it if my first choices had not been sold out. And it was a pleasant surprise. And the beer has been on my mind all week.

And I'm not a fan of wheat beers, with the orange or lemon slice thing , nor hefeweizens ........... I can't tell ya why I even tried the beer. But glad I did.

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Headed back to OKC this weekend. Probably only have time for one tap room. Which should I check out?
    Sort've depends on what ya like, if you really enjoy hoppy beers then Roughtail would be the place. That's their thing, they go over the top with hops. Roughtail will also have some small batch beers, never can tell what it will be.

Anthem had a head brewer who was big on belgiums, so a lot of their beers are in that style, like their Golden One or the Belgium stout, Uroboros. But that brewer left, and the first beer their new brewer turned out was a big IPA, which is good. He came from COOP. They've had trouble with their keg system this week, and have only been serving cans/bottles. Surely they've got it fixed by now.

COOP will have a good selection of small batch. Last week they had a variation of their Belgium style DNR, with Cherry. It sold out quick. This week its a Pomegranate DNR. Along with the ****y Hawaiian ( pineapple and habanero hefeweisen ) , a double dry hopped F5 , a pilsner ..... and more. They had a Blood Orange Toad last week, that sold out fast, not sure it will be offered again, it was gone before I got there.

I've not been to Mustang Brewing and have not more of their beers than what I got at the Craft Beer Festivals, but John Elkins of Elk Valley operates out of their brewery, and he makes some fine beers. A great stout called Nemesis, and Coffee Nemesis. He has a beer called Ferme, which is an apricot farmhouse beer, that's really popular.

Just depends on what you like .
    The following users like this post: IndySooner

And one more bit of info, I don't think COOP does growler fills ..... they sell Crowlers , which are 64oz cans. And pricing was very reasonable at COOP.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Have you tried Coop Alpha Hive? Another great IPA they make
    No. Will try next time.

Time for Oktoberfest beers. Picked up this years Sierra Nevada release yesterday. Last years was fantastic.

Originally Posted by Sandman6 View Post
    Time for Oktoberfest beers. Picked up this years Sierra Nevada release yesterday. Last years was fantastic.
    COOP released their Octoberfest last Friday.

Oklahoma is always battlin it out with Mississippi for last place , or first place in negative categories , and its true with breweries per capita .

But that is gonna change , and quickly. With our laws changing, we are going to shoot up the charts.

WHERE DOES YOUR STATE RANK IN CRAFT BEER PRODUCTION? [MAPS]
    The following users like this post: Sandman6

Oklahoma is never going to catch up with states like Colorado. Too many bud light and busch drinkers. I swear every time i'm in Ft Collins there is another brewery. There will never be anything like this in Oklahoma.
    http://www.newbelgium.com/Events/tour-de-fat/home

Same goes with coffee. Oklahoma is way behind in starbucks, 44th in the nation per capita.
    http://www.statemaster.com/graph/lif...res-per-capita

Okies just don't have sophisticated taste. But sonic's per capita has got to be near the top.

Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    Oklahoma is never going to catch up with states like Colorado. Too many bud light and busch drinkers. I swear every time i'm in Ft Collins there is another brewery. There will never be anything like this in Oklahoma.
    http://www.newbelgium.com/Events/tour-de-fat/home

Same goes with coffee. Oklahoma is way behind in starbucks, 44th in the nation per capita.
    http://www.statemaster.com/graph/lif...res-per-capita

Okies just don't have sophisticated taste. But sonic's per capita has got to be near the top.
    Hide and watch.

You're talking out your ass.
    2 users like Hermit's post: Hogarita, OUMallen

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Hide and watch.

LOL. Butthurt. Now you think Okies are just going to magically change thier habits?T

The reason you are mad is because what I said is true. Okies are way behind when it comes to craft beer and will never catch up. Look at the facts that have been provided. You will notice that craft brew and starbucks are much more popular from Colorado going NW. Okies are not anything like Colorodans, or people from the Pacific NW. You will also notice that those states where craft brew and coffee are most popular also have legalized marijuana. Oklahoma is nothing like Washington, Oregon, and Colorado. Don't' get you feelings hurt over it as that will not change.

The only person talking out thier ass is you claiming that Okies are craft brew experts and somehow suddenly going to start acting like hipsters instead of rednecks. Craft brew has been popular in those other states for years, now Okies are just jumping on the bandwagon way too late at this point..

You should get out of the state more you would know about this stuff instead of embarrassing yourself getting mad about the reality of the situation. For pretty much everything related to alcohol Oklahoma is 20+ years behind the rest of the country. Just the way it is. Does Oklahoma still sell 3.2 beer instead of the real stuff?

I went to the liquor store after reading about COOP on here and checking out their facebook page. Picked up a 4 pack of the Oktoberfest and it has quickly become a favorite. I drank one last Saturday during the game and ended up drinking another and it put me on my ass for a little while. If their other beer is as good as the Oktoberfest, I think I might have found me a new brand.

Originally Posted by CondescendingMountainDouche View Post
    LOL. Butthurt. Now you think Okies are just going to magically change thier habits?T

The reason you are mad is because what I said is true. Okies are way behind when it comes to craft beer and will never catch up. Look at the facts that have been provided. You will notice that craft brew and starbucks are much more popular from Colorado going NW. Okies are not anything like Colorodans, or people from the Pacific NW. You will also notice that those states where craft brew and coffee are most popular also have legalized marijuana. Oklahoma is nothing like Washington, Oregon, and Colorado. Don't' get you feelings hurt over it as that will not change.

The only person talking out thier ass is you claiming that Okies are craft brew experts and somehow suddenly going to start acting like hipsters instead of rednecks. Craft brew has been popular in those other states for years, now Okies are just jumping on the bandwagon way too late at this point..

You should get out of the state more you would know about this stuff instead of embarrassing yourself getting mad about the reality of the situation. For pretty much everything related to alcohol Oklahoma is 20+ years behind the rest of the country. Just the way it is. Does Oklahoma still sell 3.2 beer instead of the real stuff?
    All hail Colorado, the utopia of utopias. Thank you for bringing awareness to this esteemed competition in self importance that nobody gives a shit about. I can't wait until we too can place rank in your arbitrary hierarchy of states that you have pulled out of your ass. Honestly though you sound like some "redneck" microagressed you. You should probably go to your safe space and just cry it out.
    2 users like JoeDirt's post: Hogarita, OUMallen

Last edited by JoeDirt; September 9th, 2016 at 07:49 AM.

i don't know if Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale truly counts as a "craft beer" just because it's so widely distributed - but it's damn tasty

i don't care for any of the other Kona beers - but tried the Fire Rock when we were in Hawaii in early July - finally found some at Market Street
    The following users like this post: Bk2X

Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post

wow , I guess you told me.

state beer smack is kind of stupid - even for the internet
    2 users like Sooner JK's post: OUMallen, Redhawk

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    Hide and watch.

wow I guess you told me