Do we have a Craft Beer thread?

Posted 385 day(s) ago by Sooner JK7045 Views 212 Replies
Page 5 of 5 3 4 5
    my wife got me some mustang washita wheat for Christmas...
    i've had allergies this week and i can't taste much of anything so i haven't tried it yet...

Originally Posted by 82XFire View Post
    So my wife and I hit all the local breweries when we go to away games and I have to say COOP and Marshslls are hard to beat beer for beer. Really liked the Black Horse offerings out of Knoxville too. The Deep Ellum Brewery Blonde Ale is an outstanding anytime beer.
    i really liked marshall's octoberfest......but it's seasonal ..
    if you're familiar with octoberfest....do they have anything else that is similar?

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    if you're familiar with octoberfest....do they have anything else that is similar?
    I am familiar and like it but I don't think they have a year round beer that is similar. They've had octoberfest tasting beer in other seasonals but can't remember the name. I'm sure it will be brewed and if so I'll post it. Too many to remember!

On a similar note, we're doing the NOLA beer tour tonight.

In New Orleans for the Sugar Bowl and at The Wayward Owl brewery. Currently trying their Scotchale and Twany Twit (English bitter ale). New brewery and they're still figuring it out. The twit is decent but could use some more flavor.

Onward!

New Years Eve .............and I'm breakin out some beers I've been cellaring .............. first we opened a Prairie Okie, this a 750 ml , corked and caged, and was brewed in the spring of 2013 at Choc Brewing in Krebs , by Chase Healy. Chase had yet to get his Tulsa brewery opened, even though he had done Kickstarter to raise funds, and he raised 25,000 dollars in a week. Hermit is happy to say, he pitched in $50 bucks on the deal

But anyway, Mrs Hermit and I been saving this Okie, and ...... we should've opened this long ago, aging did this Brown Ale aged in Whiskey Barrels , no good. The finish on this , was terrible, left a bad taste, it was not good. Its a 13% ABV beer, which probably continued to ferment in the last four years, no tellin what it is now

Next .... we've had this Anthem beer for a couple years, at 17% ABV ... ya better find the right time to open it ... and New Years Eve was as good as any. This beer was great, first of all, its a great beer but the aging really helped this one ......

And then later tonight, Mrs Hermit and I will open this gold wax Bomb. Gold waxed Bomb, was the very first batch Chase Healy brewed at Krebs. But our expectations are not high, we opened the blue wax Bomb a couple weeks ago, and there was rust under the bottle cap, oxygen had gotten to it , and it was not good.

Moral of this story, don't hold on to great beers thinkin their gonna get even better.... they probably won't . Drink them ASAP.

And that said , I have these COOP Territorial Reserve Oak Aged Imperial Stouts, years 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2014 .... and they're gonna have to be opened

Its been suggested, that I do this as a " vertical " , but If I do that, gonna have to have help
    The following users like this post: Sooner JK

Last edited by Hermit; December 31st, 2016 at 10:00 PM.

Addendum ................the gold wax Bomb .............. was the ****ing bomb, it was great ........ wow !!

I only regret , I could not do a side by side, with a current year Bomb.

But what the hell, its New Years Eve .

And Happy New Year !!

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    Can't beat the Paulaner Maerzen/Oktoberfest. But then again, I'm a tard for the Bavarian 6.

Speaking of Boulevard, I bought their Narwhal Imperial Stout. It's good though at something like 10.5% ABV, it's really potent. It's more like a barleywine.

Originally Posted by OUDoc View Post
    Speaking of Boulevard, I bought their Narwhal Imperial Stout. It's good though at something like 10.5% ABV, it's really potent. It's more like a barleywine.

Thanks Mr. Narwhal
    2 users like Sooner JK's post: DirtyBob, OUDoc

Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout is the best beer I've ever had.

Also, if any of y'all are ever down in Tampa, do the Cigar City Brewing tour. One of the best tours I've ever been on and they make some really great beers. I loved Jai Alai IPA.

Originally Posted by DirtyBob View Post
    Founders Kentucky Breakfast Stout is the best beer I've ever had.

Also, if any of y'all are ever down in Tampa, do the Cigar City Brewing tour. One of the best tours I've ever been on and they make some really great beers. I loved Jai Alai IPA.
    yasssss, Founders KBS is awesome.

Originally Posted by Tommy_Boy View Post
    Can't beat the Paulaner Maerzen/Oktoberfest. But then again, I'm a tard for the Bavarian 6.
    i'll give it a try...
    not a fan of the mustang my wife got for me...