Do we have a Craft Beer thread?

Posted 754 day(s) ago by Sooner JK34697 Views 383 Replies
Results 351 to 384 of 384
Page 8 of 8 6 7 8
  1. #351
    Originally Posted by Clark W. Griswold View Post
    Had one of these while sampling the local fare out in California... a Rye Stout, brewed with coconut. Highly recommended by the owner. It wasn’t my thing, at all. Tasted like coffee.
    The color shouldve been your first clue.

  2. #352
    Originally Posted by JBret View Post
    The color shouldve been your first clue.
    Yeah, it actually was. Creamy, lukewarm beer. I guess my palate is not refined enough to enjoy it, and I’m okay with that. Nasty.

  3. #353
    Originally Posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
    Glad you all are enjoying Praire Artisan's beers. The brewery is owned by my cousin.
    I’ve been spoiled with some amazing Florida Breweries. But nothing beats Prarie imo. Whenever I visit Oklahoma I drive so I can bring back as much beer as possible in my yeti.

  4. #354
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    I’ve been spoiled with some amazing Florida Breweries. But nothing beats Prarie imo. Whenever I visit Oklahoma I drive so I can bring back as much beer as possible in my yeti.
    If you’ll bring me Cigar City I’ll make sure you have all the PAA you want!!

    Crooked Stave was pretty good - some hipsterish combinations though. I recommend the Rose or the Colorado Sage Saison, the IPA was meh, and the sour was freaking sour.

  5. #355
    Originally Posted by SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC View Post
    If you’ll bring me Cigar City I’ll make sure you have all the PAA you want!!

    Crooked Stave was pretty good - some hipsterish combinations though. I recommend the Rose or the Colorado Sage Saison, the IPA was meh, and the sour was freaking sour.
    You’ve got it. Cigar City is literally 3 miles from my house. I don’t know where Crooked Stave is but I had one of their petite sours or whatever they call it, and that was pretty incredible. I bought every crowler PAA had of that guava sour they had on tap. That seriously might have been one of the better sour beers I’ve ever had.

    I’ll bring a few extra cases of Jai Alai and Florida Cracker on the next trip.
    The following users like this post: SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC


  6. #356
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    You’ve got it. Cigar City is literally 3 miles from my house. I don’t know where Crooked Stave is but I had one of their petite sours or whatever they call it, and that was pretty incredible. I bought every crowler PAA had of that guava sour they had on tap. That seriously might have been one of the better sour beers I’ve ever had.

    I’ll bring a few extra cases of Jai Alai and Florida Cracker on the next trip.
    This is a fantastic plan... let me know when and I’ll have some of OKCs finest ready for you (Prairie, Elk Valley, Stonecloud, Roughtail, and American Solera if you want)

  7. #357
    Originally Posted by FtwTxSooner View Post
    Has anyone tried Founders Canadian Breakfast Stout? The owner of a small local beer & wine shop saved two bottles for me from his 1 case allotment when it was released. I haven't gotten around to drinking one yet.

    I was planning on trying it on New Years Day, but I just wasn't in the mood that night.
    Very solid beer if you're into barrel aged stuff. Also, much more accessible than Goose Island Bourbon Stout (that sells out quickly even here in Chicago).

  8. #358
    Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    I’ve been spoiled with some amazing Florida Breweries. But nothing beats Prarie imo. Whenever I visit Oklahoma I drive so I can bring back as much beer as possible in my yeti.
    I've tried many a Prairie beer and I keep going back to the Prairie Standard. Just an absolutely delicious refreshing beer.

  9. #359
    I think I might fill a growler of Coop Ale Works Territorial BBA Imperial Stout. I haven't had their stout yet, or much of anything from them. A keg was just tapped reasonably close by.
    The following users like this post: theend


  10. #360
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Coop is having their anniversary party on Mach 3rd - 2 different sessions that both go to support one of the local animal charities. Tons of great beers - several that will only released at the brewery on that day.

    Prairie/American Solera/Burn Co. are doing a beer dinner pairing that looks fantastic- and I’m only telling you people because I already bought my tix for it. Thursday 1/25 at Burn Co.

  11. #361
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Last night I had a fantastic barrel aged Hibernation from Great Divide. It was the 2017 release and is out of production now, but can still be found at liquor stores. Don’t let the per bottle price scare you off if you find it....smooth tasting, strong finish and at over 11% abv it can sit you down quickly.

  12. #362
    Ton of good craft breweries here in Charlotte. I miss Coop, Mustang Brewing, Choc, and Rough Tail. The better ones here in the Carolinas are NoDa, Olde Mecklinberg, Primal, and No Name.

  13. #363
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    If you are in OKC the BUOK (formerly Mustang brewing) on Meridian has some good stuff this weekend. Vanessa House is celebrating one of their founders birthdays on Friday night with specials and a keg of Chocolate 5th Keg brown. Elk Valley is releasing something on Saturday (or maybe the next weekend), either way they released “Mashie” last week and might still have some - it is AWESOME & strong. Angry Scotsman has a great Rye pale ale, and is seriously brewed and served by a guy who is both Scottish and angry.

  14. #364
    DIB's Avatar
    Posts
    6,506
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Tulsa

    Originally Posted by SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC View Post
    If you are in OKC the BUOK (formerly Mustang brewing) on Meridian has some good stuff this weekend. Vanessa House is celebrating one of their founders birthdays on Friday night with specials and a keg of Chocolate 5th Keg brown. Elk Valley is releasing something on Saturday (or maybe the next weekend), either way they released “Mashie” last week and might still have some - it is AWESOME & strong. Angry Scotsman has a great Rye pale ale, and is seriously brewed and served by a guy who is both Scottish and angry.
    Is Kolibri still there? They were going to brew there until their full brewery in Tulsa was built out. They have a few interesting beers. Their grilled cherry oatmeal stout is really good. Most, if not all of their beers are gluten free, too.

  15. #365
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Is Kolibri still there? They were going to brew there until their full brewery in Tulsa was built out. They have a few interesting beers. Their grilled cherry oatmeal stout is really good. Most, if not all of their beers are gluten free, too.
    From what I understand they are still part of it, but have yet to brew anything there.

  16. #366
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    I’ve been spoiled with some amazing Florida Breweries. But nothing beats Prarie imo. Whenever I visit Oklahoma I drive so I can bring back as much beer as possible in my yeti.
    You should be able to find it in FL. They're selling in 37 States now and 14 countries.

  17. #367
    Originally Posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
    You should be able to find it in FL. They're selling in 37 States now and 14 countries.
    I can get the Bomb and the hoppy sour.

    That’s it. I fill up 8 crowlers of beer I can’t get here and ice them down in a yeti before road tripping back to Florida.

  18. #368
    Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    I can get the Bomb and the hoppy sour.

    That’s it. I fill up 8 crowlers of beer I can’t get here and ice them down in a yeti before road tripping back to Florida.
    Every time I head down to destin/navarre, I find all sorts of Prairie stuff. Crazy they're not spread out through Florida.

  19. #369
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by RedDirt717 View Post
    I can get the Bomb and the hoppy sour.

    That’s it. I fill up 8 crowlers of beer I can’t get here and ice them down in a yeti before road tripping back to Florida.
    If you want I can get you a care package together of samplers. Prairie Beers are not cheap, but you definitely pay for what you get.

  20. #370
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by MemphisSooner View Post
    Every time I head down to destin/navarre, I find all sorts of Prairie stuff. Crazy they're not spread out through Florida.
    They are officially the largest brewery in Oklahoma now. But even with the new 52,000 SqFt Brewery they're finishing out in McAlester and the Brewery in Krebs running full tilt, they're still having trouble keeping up with demand. They're at most times 6-7 months behind on orders.
    Last edited by SoonerKA1999; Today at 07:45 AM.

  21. #371
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by Sooner in S.C. View Post
    Ton of good craft breweries here in Charlotte. I miss Coop, Mustang Brewing, Choc, and Rough Tail. The better ones here in the Carolinas are NoDa, Olde Mecklinberg, Primal, and No Name.
    I can send you some Choc (That is my family as well.) Krebs Brewing Company original line was the CHOC line, they added Prairie after the original founders didn't want to keep it going and wanted to move on to America Solera. My Cousin did 90% of their production and basically coached them on how to perfect their recipes for macro production. Once Chase decided to move towards American Solera, my cousin bought 100% of the rights to the name and existing recipes. which they were already producing and bottling for them.
    The following users like this post: ChpThril


  22. #372
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
    They are officially the largest brewery in Oklahoma now. But even with the new 52,000 Brewery they're finishing out in McAlester and the Brewery in Krebs running full tilt, they're still having trouble keeping up with demand. They're at most times 6-7 months behind on orders.
    This is why I love the brewpub- always fresh and brewed on site, great recipe and variations

    Originally Posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
    I can send you some Choc (That is my family as well.) Krebs Brewing Company original line was the CHOC line, they added Prairie after the original founders didn't want to keep it going and wanted to move on to America Solera. My Cousin did 90% of their production and basically coached them on how to perfect their recipes for macro production. Once Chase decided to move towards American Solera, my cousin bought 100% of the rights to the name and existing recipes. which they were already producing and bottling for them.
    As much as I love American Solera (and Chase is a really nice guy), I’m glad this worked out the way it did. Tell your cousin thanks for keeping it going and expanding it! Also let him know I’m available for taste testing anytime
    The following users like this post: SoonerKA1999


  23. #373
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC View Post
    This is why I love the brewpub- always fresh and brewed on site, great recipe and variations



    As much as I love American Solera (and Chase is a really nice guy), I’m glad this worked out the way it did. Tell your cousin thanks for keeping it going and expanding it! Also let him know I’m available for taste testing anytime
    Absolutely! You should find Prairie on Facebook and sign up for their newsletter. Occasionally, they make announcements when they have special runs of beer they have public invites for in brewery tastings. You can eat at Pete's Place while you're there (Make sure to spoil yourself to some Lamb Fries).

  24. #374
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by MemphisSooner View Post
    Every time I head down to destin/navarre, I find all sorts of Prairie stuff. Crazy they're not spread out through Florida.
    If you pressure your favorite Beer/Liqour Store to carry it, they'll carry it. It's available pretty much in every state through their liquor brokers. It's grown so much in popularity in Texas, HEB now carries a good spread of their labels.

  25. #375
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    BTW if you have every had the novelty 'Texas Sux' beer, that is made by my cousin as well. It is just CHOC relabeled. lol!

  26. #376
    Originally Posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
    I can send you some Choc (That is my family as well.) Krebs Brewing Company original line was the CHOC line, they added Prairie after the original founders didn't want to keep it going and wanted to move on to America Solera. My Cousin did 90% of their production and basically coached them on how to perfect their recipes for macro production. Once Chase decided to move towards American Solera, my cousin bought 100% of the rights to the name and existing recipes. which they were already producing and bottling for them.
    So just to clarify, CHOC now produces Prairie and the Prairie guys now make American Solera? I haven't lived in Oklahoma for 10 years, so its rare when I get some Prairie, but this news leads me to think that I have to hunt down some American Solera next time I visit.

  27. #377
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by MemphisSooner View Post
    So just to clarify, CHOC now produces Prairie and the Prairie guys now make American Solera? I haven't lived in Oklahoma for 10 years, so its rare when I get some Prairie, but this news leads me to think that I have to hunt down some American Solera next time I visit.
    Why? CHOC literally made 90% of Prairie's production since they really started becoming popular. The reason you get consistency in the Prairie recipes is largely due to Michael Lalli, who knows micro and macro-production. Mike is my cousin's (CHOC/Prairie's) Brew Master (Who has won multiple Gold Medal Awards at The World Beer Festival). American Solera is decent. But the concept is different. And you probably won't be able to get it as easy. Chase and his group at America Solera just setup a "bar" or "tasting facility" on 18th and Boston, but truthfully, I've never seen it open (I drive Uber/Lyft on the weekends and drive by it constantly). Not knocking him or his new concept, but I'm not sure where it is going.

  28. #378
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
    Why? CHOC literally made 90% of Prairie's production since they really started becoming popular. The reason you get consistency in the Prairie recipes is largely due to Michael Lalli, who knows micro and macro-production. Mike is my cousin's (CHOC/Prairie's) Brew Master (Who has won multiple Gold Medal Awards at The World Beer Festival). American Solera is decent. But the concept is different. And you probably won't be able to get it as easy. Chase and his group at America Solera just setup a "bar" or "tasting facility" on 18th and Boston, but truthfully, I've never seen it open (I drive Uber/Lyft on the weekends and drive by it constantly). Not knocking him or his new concept, but I'm not sure where it is going.
    It’s open a lot - especially in comparison to other taprooms.

    From what I understand Chase didn’t want to deal with the day to day and consistency that your cousin is known for, so it really was good for both of them.

    Prairie sets the standard for stouts, and their other stuff is good. American Solera has fantastic items that are not stouts and more varied...they also change what they are doing all of the time.

    In their lanes both are hard to beat. And anyone who knows Chase’s history (redbud, coop, etc) should not be shocked by this.

    Based on the recent collaborations with Prairie and AS I think both agree they are doing what they should, and are quite amicable
    The following users like this post: SoonerKA1999


  29. #379
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC View Post
    It’s open a lot - especially in comparison to other taprooms.

    From what I understand Chase didn’t want to deal with the day to day and consistency that your cousin is known for, so it really was good for both of them.

    Prairie sets the standard for stouts, and their other stuff is good. American Solera has fantastic items that are not stouts and more varied...they also change what they are doing all of the time.

    In their lanes both are hard to beat. And anyone who knows Chase’s history (redbud, coop, etc) should not be shocked by this.

    Based on the recent collaborations with Prairie and AS I think both agree they are doing what they should, and are quite amicable
    When is American Solera's Taproom on 18th open? I've never seen it open at all.

  30. #380
    Originally Posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
    When is American Solera's Taproom on 18th open? I've never seen it open at all.
    Visit our SOBO location
    Sunday: 12-6 p.m.
    Monday: CLOSED
    Tuesday: 4-9 p.m.
    Wednesday: 4-9 p.m.
    Thursday: 4-9 p.m.
    Friday: 12-9 p.m.
    Saturday 12-9 p.m.

    108 E 18th St
    Tulsa, OK, 74119

    They can only be open until 9 because of Oklahoma's stupid laws.

    In my opinion Prairie does set the standard for stouts, as mentioned above. But that is due to Chase. The majority of Prairie's other stuff does not justify the price. If you ever have the chance to try Sons of Darkness by AS, don't pass it up.
    The following users like this post: SoonerKA1999


  31. #381
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by Sooner09 View Post
    Visit our SOBO location
    Sunday: 12-6 p.m.
    Monday: CLOSED
    Tuesday: 4-9 p.m.
    Wednesday: 4-9 p.m.
    Thursday: 4-9 p.m.
    Friday: 12-9 p.m.
    Saturday 12-9 p.m.

    108 E 18th St
    Tulsa, OK, 74119

    They can only be open until 9 because of Oklahoma's stupid laws.

    In my opinion Prairie does set the standard for stouts, as mentioned above. But that is due to Chase. The majority of Prairie's other stuff does not justify the price. If you ever have the chance to try Sons of Darkness by AS, don't pass it up.
    You have to really appreciate stouts to enjoy the variations Prairie does...I’m actually driving to Tulsa this week and making a trade for some Prairie that didn’t make it past the brewery release, and will probably go stand in line for the pirate paradise release.

    It is definitely a taste thing, but I promise you Prairie is known/respected far and wide amongst craft beer enthusiasts. You wouldn’t believe the value of their beers (especially those that don’t hit distribution) for trading.
    The following users like this post: SoonerKA1999


  32. #382
    SoonerKA1999's Avatar
    Posts
    662
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Tulsa, OK USA

    Originally Posted by Sooner09 View Post
    Visit our SOBO location
    Sunday: 12-6 p.m.
    Monday: CLOSED
    Tuesday: 4-9 p.m.
    Wednesday: 4-9 p.m.
    Thursday: 4-9 p.m.
    Friday: 12-9 p.m.
    Saturday 12-9 p.m.

    108 E 18th St
    Tulsa, OK, 74119

    They can only be open until 9 because of Oklahoma's stupid laws.

    In my opinion Prairie does set the standard for stouts, as mentioned above. But that is due to Chase. The majority of Prairie's other stuff does not justify the price. If you ever have the chance to try Sons of Darkness by AS, don't pass it up.
    That explains why I haven't seen them open. Cool! I'll have to come check it out.

  33. #383
    Originally Posted by SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC View Post
    You have to really appreciate stouts to enjoy the variations Prairie does...I’m actually driving to Tulsa this week and making a trade for some Prairie that didn’t make it past the brewery release, and will probably go stand in line for the pirate paradise release.

    It is definitely a taste thing, but I promise you Prairie is known/respected far and wide amongst craft beer enthusiasts. You wouldn’t believe the value of their beers (especially those that don’t hit distribution) for trading.
    Haha, I know...that is why I said I agree Prairie is one of the standard setters for stouts. Bourbon Paradise is maybe the best distro beer I have ever had, and you can never go wrong with Pirate Bomb or Vanilla Noir. But outside of the stouts, Prairie is not worth the price tag, in my opinion.

    The releases seems to be better at the OKC location, if you are going to PP. Being able to wait inside was much better at the BA Xmas & Bomb release.

  34. #384
    SSSSSSMMMMMMCCCCC's Avatar
    Posts
    7,698
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Near, Far

    Originally Posted by Sooner09 View Post
    Haha, I know...that is why I said I agree Prairie is one of the standard setters for stouts. Bourbon Paradise is maybe the best distro beer I have ever had, and you can never go wrong with Pirate Bomb or Vanilla Noir. But outside of the stouts, Prairie is not worth the price tag, in my opinion.

    The releases seems to be better at the OKC location, if you are going to PP. Being able to wait inside was much better at the BA Xmas & Bomb release.

    The inside wait is nice in OKC, but man it will be crowded early. The new brewer at the OKC brewpub seems pretty cool, and has done some good things outside of stouts already. He is from OHio I think and seems to have a good hand at IPAs and farmhouse.

Similar Threads

  1. Craft Beer at Anheuser-Busch
    By HorpelKrufkin in forum The Pub
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: October 6th, 2013, 12:59 AM
  2. Bubba's Hover Craft
    By OUSchitzo in forum The Pub
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 3rd, 2013, 04:59 PM
  3. Spiegelberg Wants To Craft A New Image Of Kliff Kingsbury
    By SoonerDan74012 in forum Football
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: March 5th, 2013, 12:30 AM