Do we have a Craft Beer thread?

Posted 696 day(s) ago by Sooner JK27442 Views 259 Replies
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4

Originally Posted by MountainMan View Post
    LOL. Butthurt. Now you think Okies are just going to magically change thier habits?T

The reason you are mad is because what I said is true. Okies are way behind when it comes to craft beer and will never catch up. Look at the facts that have been provided. You will notice that craft brew and starbucks are much more popular from Colorado going NW. Okies are not anything like Colorodans, or people from the Pacific NW. You will also notice that those states where craft brew and coffee are most popular also have legalized marijuana. Oklahoma is nothing like Washington, Oregon, and Colorado. Don't' get you feelings hurt over it as that will not change.

The only person talking out thier ass is you claiming that Okies are craft brew experts and somehow suddenly going to start acting like hipsters instead of rednecks. Craft brew has been popular in those other states for years, now Okies are just jumping on the bandwagon way too late at this point..

You should get out of the state more you would know about this stuff instead of embarrassing yourself getting mad about the reality of the situation. For pretty much everything related to alcohol Oklahoma is 20+ years behind the rest of the country. Just the way it is. Does Oklahoma still sell 3.2 beer instead of the real stuff?
    When did SoCali move to the mountains?
    3 users like OUDoc's post: oorah_okie, OUMallen, Sooner JK

Oklahoma is never going to catch up with states like Colorado. Too many bud light and busch drinkers. I swear every time i'm in Ft Collins there is another brewery. There will never be anything like this in Oklahoma.
    http://www.newbelgium.com/Events/tour-de-fat/home

Same goes with coffee. Oklahoma is way behind in starbucks, 44th in the nation per capita.
    http://www.statemaster.com/graph/lif...res-per-capita

Okies just don't have sophisticated taste. But sonic's per capita has got to be near the top.
    You have no freaking idea what you're talking about. Just because *you* don't know about it, doesn't mean it don't exist, son!
    The following users like this post: OUDoc

LOL. Butthurt. Now you think Okies are just going to magically change thier habits?T

The reason you are mad is because what I said is true. Okies are way behind when it comes to craft beer and will never catch up. Look at the facts that have been provided. You will notice that craft brew and starbucks are much more popular from Colorado going NW. Okies are not anything like Colorodans, or people from the Pacific NW. You will also notice that those states where craft brew and coffee are most popular also have legalized marijuana. Oklahoma is nothing like Washington, Oregon, and Colorado. Don't' get you feelings hurt over it as that will not change.

The only person talking out thier ass is you claiming that Okies are craft brew experts and somehow suddenly going to start acting like hipsters instead of rednecks. Craft brew has been popular in those other states for years, now Okies are just jumping on the bandwagon way too late at this point..

You should get out of the state more you would know about this stuff instead of embarrassing yourself getting mad about the reality of the situation. For pretty much everything related to alcohol Oklahoma is 20+ years behind the rest of the country. Just the way it is. Does Oklahoma still sell 3.2 beer instead of the real stuff?
    Actually, our new brewery laws are the envy of Texas and some of the most progressive in the country. So, you're just ignorant and wrong. Whether we sell 3.2 beer doesn't make your point, but that's on the ballot to be eradicated in November anyway.

Here's the thing about things like craft beer: it doesn't take "20 years" to catch up. It takes a change in the law (which just happened 3 weeks ago), and a little time. Several breweries are in the process of opening in the OKC core right now.

And if your point is "Oklahoma will never be the PAC NW or Colorado when it comes to beer", you're right. But no one said we would be. We won't be Vermont, either. You cherry-picked the very best states you could think of to ensure Oklahoma wouldn't match up. Tulsa isn't Paris. The Oklahoma River isn't the Amazon, and never will be. Anything else?

The entire comparison/competition is something you just made up to try to win an argument on the internet, which is sad. Your initial point fails. "Okies don't have taste" was your initial point, and you're flat wrong. Then you go off on a "LOL BUTTHURT" 5th grade tangent like a true troll dumdum, and then make silly comparisons to try to prove your point.

You wanna talk about Okie taste? Funny thing is, if you like beer, you'd probably slap your mom to take a pick or two out of my cellar. Or you'd beg me for a can of the brewery-fresh Trillium hops that are arriving at my house in Norman today. But for your ****-all dipshit attitude, I'd be happy to open something for you for us to consider and enjoy together. Instead, you can pound sand.

Hermit, you're welcome any time.
    The following users like this post: Hermit

wow I guess you told me
    Dude, GTFO of here with your bullshit and let us have our thread about wonderful beer.
    2 users like OUMallen's post: Hermit, Sooner JK

Oklahoma is never going to catch up with states like Colorado. Too many bud light and busch drinkers.

Okies just don't have sophisticated taste.
    1. Mountain water
    2. Better hop growing climate
    3. Better grain growing climate (except for northwestern parts of OK)
    4. Better storage and fermentation climate
    5. Fewer Baptists and Pentacostals/Charismatics

Colorado has better natural geography for a robust craft beer scene. Only one of the major factors has anything to do with culture, and that's based on religious belief.

Plenty of rednecks will happily drink a nice IPA or pilsner if offered, but will stick with the macros for the price point. That goes both for Okies and Coloradans. Is it any surprise, then, that it took the last oil boom for craft beer to finally get kickstarted in Oklahoma?

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post
    You have no freaking idea what you're talking about. Just because *you* don't know about it, doesn't mean it don't exist, son!
    LOL. The facts speak for themselves. less breweries and less coffee shops per capita than the NW part of the US. If you want to get upset because people in Oklahoma are different than Oregon knock yourself out. Don't be insecure. It's ok to admit that people from Oklahoma have different tastes than other parts of the country. That is why you see a different makeup of businesses with more Sonics and less breweries and Coffee Shops and no dispensaries.

It's like you are so insecure that if anyone points out how Okies are different you freak out and claim to be similar no matter how different the people are. Oregon has legal weed, do you think Oklahoma is going to do that soon as well??? Hell, no. The people are different son. You should get out more. Arguing that people in OKC have similar tastes to people in Denver and Portland is hilarious and only makes you look stupid. That's also why you dont' use any facts in your argument, you just claim I am wrong with no reasoning. Not very convincing at all. Try to hide your butthurt better next time.

But here is one where you can be proud of Oklahoma. #2 in sonics in the entire country with 247 while Washington, Oregon, and Colorado have 78 total. LOL

Alabama Sonic locations (105)
    Arkansas Sonic locations (170)
    Arizona Sonic locations (85)
    California Sonic locations (36)
    Colorado Sonic locations (77)
    Connecticut Sonic locations (1)
    Delaware Sonic locations (3)
    Florida Sonic locations (120)
    Georgia Sonic locations (118)
    Hawaii Sonic locations (1)
    Iowa Sonic locations (12)
    Idaho Sonic locations (16)
    Illinois Sonic locations (33)
    Indiana Sonic locations (22)
    Kansas Sonic locations (137)
    Kentucky Sonic locations (71)
    Louisiana Sonic locations (150)
    Michigan Sonic locations (2)
    Minnesota Sonic locations (1)
    Missouri Sonic locations (206)
    Mississippi Sonic locations (114)
    North Carolina Sonic locations (92)
    Nebraska Sonic locations (22)
    New Jersey Sonic locations (2)
    New Mexico Sonic locations (22)
    Nevada Sonic locations (18)
    Ohio Sonic locations (11)
    Oklahoma Sonic locations (247)
    Pennsylvania Sonic locations (3)
    South Carolina Sonic locations (65)
    Tennessee Sonic locations (188)
    Texas Sonic locations (889)
    Utah Sonic locations (14)
    Virginia Sonic locations (12)
    Washington Sonic locations (1)
    Wisconsin Sonic locations (2)
    West Virginia Sonic locations (2)
    Wyoming Sonic locations (4)

oooooooooooh Sonic location smack now - shit getting real

can somebody actually talk about a good craft beer instead of using their state of residence to measure their dick?
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

LOL. The facts speak for themselves. less breweries and less coffee shops per capita than the NW part of the US. If you want to get upset because people in Oklahoma are different than Oregon knock yourself out. Don't be insecure. It's ok to admit that people from Oklahoma have different tastes than other parts of the country. That is why you see a different makeup of businesses with more Sonics and less breweries and Coffee Shops and no dispensaries.

It's like you are so insecure that if anyone points out how Okies are different you freak out and claim to be similar no matter how different the people are. Oregon has legal weed, do you think Oklahoma is going to do that soon as well??? Hell, no. The people are different son. You should get out more. Arguing that people in OKC have similar tastes to people in Denver and Portland is hilarious and only makes you look stupid. That's also why you dont' use any facts in your argument, you just claim I am wrong with no reasoning. Not very convincing at all. Try to hide your butthurt better next time.

But here is one where you can be proud of Oklahoma. #2 in sonics in the entire country with 247 while Washington, Oregon, and Colorado have 78 total. LOL

Why aren't you posting with your OkieLite name anymore?

I really need to stop by some of the breweries.

My backup liquor store guy told me that Mustang was recently bought by MillerCoors? Any truth to that?

Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post

My backup liquor store guy told me that Mustang was recently bought by MillerCoors? Any truth to that?
    I haven't heard that.....but that doesn't mean it ain't true.

Nimrod, I said in my post that Oklahoma will never be Oregon when it comes to beer. Or Vermont. Or probably Colorado.

No one ever said we would be. WTF are you talking about.

Not to my knowledge, and if anybody would know its Nick ... uhhh ,won't try to spell his last name, but he breaks more beer news than anyone in Oklahoma on his blog

http://www.thirstybeaglebeerblog.com/

And he's not said a thing.

Speaking of Mustang, John Elkins gypsy brews at Mustang, and his beers are available in the tap room. His Coffee Nemesis is an exceptional stout. I have not been there yet, but may go this weekend.

The following users like this post: Sooner JK

If I had a buddy who worked a block from me and lived in Norman maybe they would go the breweries with me. If I only had a friend like that who liked good beer...

Nimrod, I said in my post that Oklahoma will never be Oregon when it comes to beer. Or Vermont. Or probably Colorado.

Yes, I never implied that either, but we will be shooting up from the bottom, as I said. And the data in the link I posted, is already outdated. Its from 2015 and we've had new breweries just the past year, in anticipation of our laws changing.

That's OkieLite, he hates all things Oklahoma and ruins each and every thread he posts in. He has the same self esteem issues that 87 has.

Reading comprehension can be helpful. Go read the posts again real slow. A poster pointed out how far behind Oklahoma was as far as craft beer and then another indicated Oklahoma would be quickly climbing with the explosion of craft beer in Oklahoma. I politely pointed out that Oklahoma really has little demand for craft brew and coffee compared to other states who have been doing this for years and then the insecure ones in the bunch got mad because Oklahoma sucks at something else. But they are #2 in Sonic's overall and per capita #1. . Thanks for the personal insult.

Now if any of you Okie beer drinkers want to have some real fun that's not available in OK try tour de fat.

Last edited by MadMex; September 9th, 2016 at 01:54 PM. Reason: Hotlinks

That's OkieLite, he hates all things Oklahoma and ruins each and every thread he posts in. He has the same self esteem issues that 87 has.

Nice try. More like the insecure Okies get mad when you point out that they are years behind the craft brew fad. Better to accept who you are than to get mad when people point out the differences between people in different states.

I could claim Oklahoma has terrible chinese food compared to China and Okies would get mad and claim otherwise. That's just how insecure people act. Not my fault.

Which brewery in OKC has the best tasting/tap room? Which has the best food?

In other news, I went to COOP last evening, and bought a case of F5 that was brewed yesterday, canned at 1:53 pm.

Soooo great, to be able to get fresh hoppy beer.
    The following users like this post: 1stTimeCaller

Which brewery in OKC has the best tasting/tap room? Which has the best food?
    I've described the tap rooms further up in the thread, as to food .... it would depend on what food trucks are there at the time.

I got a good pork taco from these people yesterday

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    I've described the tap rooms further up in the thread, as to food .... it would depend on what food trucks are there at the time.

I got a good pork taco from these people yesterday

Thanks! What about the physical rooms, are they all pretty similar or some nicer than others? I like beers from all of the breweries and have. O problem with dirt floors but my wife on the other hand...

Hmm, COOP is just integrated into the brewery, on Thursday's and Friday's they just have tall table sat round with no chairs. On Saturday's , they have tables with chairs, no A/C but they have a Big Ass fan and some huge coolers.

Roughtail is small, but they got some tables made from wireline spools, pretty spartan. But it is A/C.

Anthem is much like COOP, its just a bar in the brewery with a couple of tables and some tall tables.

I haven 't been to Mustang, but I hear its " nicer " .

Ones I've been to are bare bones and spartan.

Ohhh yeah, COOP has a big " back yard " for food trucks. With picnic tables, gazebo tents on weekends, horseshoe pits ... etc.

Nice try. More like the insecure Okies get mad when you point out that they are years behind the craft brew fad. Better to accept who you are than to get mad when people point out the differences between people in different states.

I could claim Oklahoma has terrible chinese food compared to China and Okies would get mad and claim otherwise. That's just how insecure people act. Not my fault.
    Oh the irony....

Bye bye okielite. No socks

If I had a buddy who worked a block from me and lived in Norman maybe they would go the breweries with me. If I only had a friend like that who liked good beer...
    I'm down!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll open just about anything I have for you, 1TC.

Hmm, COOP is just integrated into the brewery, on Thursday's and Friday's they just have tall table sat round with no chairs. On Saturday's , they have tables, no A/C but they have a Big Ass fan and some huge coolers.

Roughtail is small, but they got some tables made from wireline spools, pretty spartan. But it is A/C.

Anthem is much like COOP, its just a bar in the brewery with a couple of tables and some tall tables.

I haven 't been to Mustang, but I hear its " nicer " .

Ones I've been to are bare bones and spartan.

Ohhh yeah, COOP has a big " back yard " for food trucks. With picnic tables, gazebo tents on weekends, horseshoe pits ... etc.
    Not sure if it's an "every day" thing or not, but RT had the garage door open and picnic tables in the brewing facility where you could open a can you had purchased. That was fun.

In other news, I went to COOP last evening, and bought a case of F5 that was brewed yesterday, canned at 1:53 pm.

Soooo great, to be able to get fresh hoppy beer.
    I had a few COOP beers when I was back and they seem to have gotten better with time. The F5 was a really good IPA and the Oktoberfest was great!

Thanks! What about the physical rooms, are they all pretty similar or some nicer than others? I like beers from all of the breweries and have. O problem with dirt floors but my wife on the other hand...
    the prettiest one is American Solera in Tulsa.

COOP has a nice clean facility that is worth visting. Roughtail's isn't as nice, but if you like hoppy beers, the beer is better.

Haven't been to Mustang yet. But Elkins is killing it. Apparently he has a terrific coconut barrel aged stout on right now.

Coors rocks!

Where is the Anthem tap room? Have some friends from out of town next weekend and would love to hit up that place Friday after lunch for some day drinking.

Had the Ogletoberfest last weekend, too. That was a really good beer.

Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    Where is the Anthem tap room? Have some friends from out of town next weekend and would love to hit up that place Friday after lunch for some day drinking.
    A few blocks North of I40 off Western on 3rd street. Pretty sure it's 3rd.

Originally Posted by Val on the Getner View Post
    1. Mountain water
    2. Better hop growing climate
    3. Better grain growing climate (except for northwestern parts of OK)
    4. Better storage and fermentation climate
    5. Fewer Baptists and Pentacostals/Charismatics

Colorado has better natural geography for a robust craft beer scene. Only one of the major factors has anything to do with culture, and that's based on religious belief.

Plenty of rednecks will happily drink a nice IPA or pilsner if offered, but will stick with the macros for the price point. That goes both for Okies and Coloradans. Is it any surprise, then, that it took the last oil boom for craft beer to finally get kickstarted in Oklahoma?
    1) Guessing these places use treated city water
    2) Guessing hops are only sourced locally for niche beers most places. Can't you ship hops? Are they highly perishable?
    3) You can ship grain, right?
    4) This is done in climate controlled environments, right?
    5) True

A few blocks North of I40 off Western on 3rd street. Pretty sure it's 3rd.
    Farmer's Market, right? Near Powerhouse, which is badass. I will be there next Friday if they are open early.

Right in there. I want to say that you turn just past Urban Farmhouse.

Just picked up Anthem's OK Pils today. Always liked the Arjuna.

Originally Posted by Sandman6 View Post
    Just picked up Anthem's OK Pils today. Always liked the Arjuna.
    I'd like to see Anthem Pils take over as the local "go to" beer in place of macro junk.

I missed this news from Thirsty Beagle earlier this week. I hate to see Greg leave Tapwerks, I've been a regular there for quite a few years and he and Courtney Larry are responsible for the Craft Beer Festival. Now both are gone, Courtney is now a rep for COOP in Dallas. Greg and Courtney also had a lot of great beer events and special pint nights. Along with promoting home brewers with great events like " Mashed In " and adding a home brewer section to the Festival. I enjoyed " Mashed In " as much a OCBF, I hope it continues there.

I was introduced to a lot of good beers, cause of Greg. I'll have to follow him to Prairie.

Monday, September 5, 2016

Longtime TapWerks GM joins Choc/Prairie team
    Happy Labor Day, beer fans!

In a fitting development, I have some news today on someone who has always worked hard for advancement of the Oklahoma craft beer scene.

Greg Powell, longtime general manager of TapWerks Ale House, last week started a new job with Choc/Prairie.

Powell has been hired away from TapWerks and will head up the team that will run the new Oklahoma City Prairie brewpub set to open next year near Automobile Alley.

Powell has had an exemplary run at TapWerks -- the bar was really THE destination for local craft beer prior to 2010. TapWerks was probably one of the first, if not the first, pub to serve firkins from local brewers.

And of course Powell and his team were the founders of the Oklahoma Craft Beer Festival, now the state's largest, most significant craft beer fest.

Powell told me he will remain involved with OCBF, but one might still be inclined to wonder what will become of the fest.

And clearly TapWerks will have big shoes to fill. Making that effort is the new GM, Garrett Sullivan, who boasts a wealth of experience in pub management, including with the Bricktown Brewery chain.

In the meantime, Choc is continuing its string of aggressive moves, the latest of which is snagging one of the founding fathers of our current craft beer scene to head up their newest brewpub project.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    1) Guessing these places use treated city water
    2) Guessing hops are only sourced locally for niche beers most places. Can't you ship hops? Are they highly perishable?
    3) You can ship grain, right?
    4) This is done in climate controlled environments, right?
    5) True
    Practically none of them just use city water. Engineering the water is part of the game.

Hah !!

Hah !!

Sorry for being dense, but what are we looking at here?

I missed this news from Thirsty Beagle earlier this week. I hate to see Greg leave Tapwerks, I've been a regular there for quite a few years and he and Courtney Larry are responsible for the Craft Beer Festival. Now both are gone, Courtney is now a rep for COOP in Dallas. Greg and Courtney also had a lot of great beer events and special pint nights. Along with promoting home brewers with great events like " Mashed In " and adding a home brewer section to the Festival. I enjoyed " Mashed In " as much a OCBF, I hope it continues there.

I was introduced to a lot of good beers, cause of Greg. I'll have to follow him to Prairie.
    The Prairie Brewpub in Tulsa is awesome. Great food and beer. With Greg involved in the OKC one, I'm sure it will be equally as awesome.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Sorry for being dense, but what are we looking at here?
    Tank 7 is a Boulevard beer.

Originally Posted by OUDoc View Post
    Tank 7 is a Boulevard beer.
    Ah. Didn't know that. Thanks.

This was a treat Saturday night.
    2 users like OUMallen's post: DIB, Hermit

Anyone going to the McNellie's Harvest Beer Festival in Tulsa on the 24th? It's always one of my favorites. Good selection of local nano and micro brews as well as national and international.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Anyone going to the McNellie's Harvest Beer Festival in Tulsa on the 24th? It's always one of my favorites. Good selection of local nano and micro brews as well as national and international.
    My mom just had a lumpectomy and is recovering at my brother's house in Ft. Worth, but she should be back in Bixby by then. I'll go visit that weekend and kill two birds with one stone.

I ate lunch with her there two weeks ago right after we left the doctor's office where he gave her the the "good" news, as if finding out you have cancer can be considered "good". She was expecting the worst (she's 84). After she found out a lumpectomy would take care of it, she was so relieved, as was I. She's like "lets go to McNellie's and have a beer". I'm like "OK!".
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: DIB, Hermit

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    The Prairie Brewpub in Tulsa is awesome. Great food and beer. With Greg involved in the OKC one, I'm sure it will be equally as awesome.
    Zach Pritchard of Choc, is also connected to Petes Place in McAlester, which is not shabby for good food.

If the pricing is just not off the charts, I'll probably make the move with Greg

And thinking of Pete's Place, with our new laws, this would be a good time to make a trip .

So I'm in the 405 this week for a work conference - had a COOP F5 tonight - VERY nice - great IPA!!!
    3 users like Sooner JK's post: Hermit, OUMallen, Stinger_1066

One of my associates suggested going to Oak & Ore - any experiences with this place for good beer?