Do we have a Craft Beer thread?

Posted 384 day(s) ago by Sooner JK7017 Views 212 Replies
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Originally Posted by Sooner JK View Post
    So I'm in the 405 this week for a work conference - had a COOP F5 tonight - VERY nice - great IPA!!!
    F5 is my new favorite local beer. Had one at The Stables Tap Room on Friday.
    The following users like this post: Sooner JK

One of my associates suggested going to Oak & Ore - any experiences with this place for good beer?
    Very popular craft brew bar in the Plaza, I've been there one time. They have a lot of tap handles and great selection. That's bout all I know , but I don't think you can go wrong there.
    2 users like Hermit's post: OUMallen, Sooner JK

Mustang is headed to Edmond

http://www.thirstybeaglebeerblog.com...e-changes.html

I visited last Friday, and currently , it is the " nicest " tap room among our breweries, pic below. Had a couple of John Elkins brews. They are pouring a Whiskey Nemesis, imp stout aged in whiskey barrels with a hint of coconut.

So I'm in the 405 this week for a work conference - had a COOP F5 tonight - VERY nice - great IPA!!!
    And COOP is selling it fresh at the brewery for $34 case, as opposed to $42 at Byrons , and higher than that everywhere else.
    2 users like Hermit's post: 1stTimeCaller, OUMallen

my liquor store is still selling 16oz cans of F5. The date wasn't too old but they stopped making the 16oz cans a few weeks ago if I remember correctly.
    The following users like this post: OUMallen

Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post
    my liquor store is still selling 16oz cans of F5. The date wasn't too old but they stopped making the 16oz cans a few weeks ago if I remember correctly.
    For me time flies, but it seems like it was in July.

Anymore, I won't buy a hoppy beer unless it has a " brewed on " or canned date on the can/bottle.

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    For me time flies, but it seems like it was in July.

Anymore, I won't buy a hoppy beer unless it has a " brewed on " or canned date on the can/bottle.
    I just looked at their Facebook and on August 12th the had the video of their last 16oz beer being canned. It's sad because the machine is setup to can 4 at a time so the other three nozzles pour out 16 oz each.

One of my associates suggested going to Oak & Ore - any experiences with this place for good beer?
    Best beer bar in OKC, IMO. Cool space. Good owner. Thoughtful selections on tap.

My favorite place to hide out. Great joint.
    The following users like this post: Sooner JK

Played a show the other night while Coop Ale was doing a taster there. Their DNR was pretty damn nice. It'll knock you on your ass if you don't watch out though, it's a 10pt. Got a sticker and Pilsner glass from them. This guy is going on my guitar case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 users like AcousticSoup's post: OUMallen, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by OUMallen View Post

This was a treat Saturday night.
    I've seen this pic in a Facebook group.

Originally Posted by LordOfLittlePeople View Post
    I've seen this pic in a Facebook group.
    Come on man, why be a prick ?

Just left click on the pic, and Google search the image. You won't find any similar results.

And even if you could, it doesn't mean Mallen did not enjoy that beer and he just found a pic on the nets.

Come on man, why be a prick ?

Just left click on the pic, and Google search the image. You won't find any similar results.

And even if you could, it doesn't mean Mallen did not enjoy that beer and he just found a pic on the nets.
    I was just assuming it was the same guy

I was just assuming it was the same guy
    Ohh OK , I didn't think of that, since I don't do Facebook, probably.

I figured we had some bleed over from one or two of the FB groups to this thread.

And I did enjoy that beer. Wish I could buy a bottle for each of you. I was lucky to come across it at all.

I figured we had some bleed over from one or two of the FB groups to this thread.

And I did enjoy that beer. Wish I could buy a bottle for each of you. I was lucky to come across it at all.
    Is that one you shared with our get together/fish fry at your house last year? I remember a stout with cayenne maybe?

Anyone know anything about Propolis Brewing?

They are doing an event at Roosevelt's (a new craft brew gastropub on Cherry street in Tulsa) and I don't really know anything about them. They are based in Washington, but that's all I know.

I believe they are doing one in OKC as well. Craft & Barrel is sponsoring it.

Originally Posted by 1stTimeCaller View Post
    Is that one you shared with our get together/fish fry at your house last year? I remember a stout with cayenne maybe?
    Dude! Good memory! But this one from Saturday night had been aged in bourbon barrels, which was the first time I had that. But exact same beer otherwise.

More from Thirsty Beagle , and I've been wondering about this myself. What happens when the novelty wears off ?

http://www.thirstybeaglebeerblog.com...usings-on.html

Roughtail is releasing the much-anticipated Wheat Dreams at the brewery today at 4. The brewery-only beer will be available in cans, growlers and pints. They're also putting out a draft-only run of Everything Rhymes with Orange. Roughtail is expecting a big crowd; they've even provided a snarky parking tutorial on their FB page. I think this is a really interesting release because we're starting to see how things are changing for brewers now that the newness of being able to sell from the brewery is wearing off. I've spoken to several brewers who said they were thrilled with the reaction and crowds on Aug. 26, but the real test would come several weeks down the road. Would foot traffic sustain on a regular basis? I think the key will be in the content, like with any business. Brewers will have to maintain a focus on giving consumers a reason to get out to the brewery. That's likely going to mean a pretty interesting proliferation of one-offs and special beers. Certainly it will be interesting to see if those offerings continue to pull people in.
    And speaking of Roughtail, they Tweeted parking advise this week .......... glad parking is a problem for them. Wonder how long till they look for a new location ? When COOP moved to their new location out west, they were saying they would be there five years or so, then try to find something downtown on the River.

More from Thirsty Beagle , and I've been wondering about this myself. What happens when the novelty wears off ?

http://www.thirstybeaglebeerblog.com...usings-on.html

And speaking of Roughtail, they Tweeted parking advise this week .......... glad parking is a problem for them. Wonder how long till they look for a new location ? When COOP moved to their new location out west, they were saying they would be there five years or so, then try to find something downtown on the River.

I think RT will have no problem selling. I plan to stop by there tomorrow.

The big thing will be the breweries who selected crappy parts of town (because, why not? You didn't need foot traffic.), who now would love foot traffic. It will be interesting to see what RT does. I think they ought to move to a better part of town. Their operation is not super big. Imagine if they could fit somewhere around the Plaza District, or even down along Film Row. Would be killer.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    Anyone going to the McNellie's Harvest Beer Festival in Tulsa on the 24th? It's always one of my favorites. Good selection of local nano and micro brews as well as national and international.
    Hey Dib - are they doing this at both locations? I'll be in Tulsa tomorrow and I promised my mom I'd take her if they are doing this at the one on the south side.

I think RT will have no problem selling. I plan to stop by there tomorrow.

The big thing will be the breweries who selected crappy parts of town (because, why not? You didn't need foot traffic.), who now would love foot traffic. It will be interesting to see what RT does. I think they ought to move to a better part of town. Their operation is not super big. Imagine if they could fit somewhere around the Plaza District, or even down along Film Row. Would be killer.
    Was at RT bout two years ago, was talking with Tony . He said a lot of money was just waiting for our laws to change to open up tap rooms, he said really nice tap rooms. I gotta think they are prime to attract investors.

COOP's tap room beers can be found on their facebook page

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Hey Dib - are they doing this at both locations? I'll be in Tulsa tomorrow and I promised my mom I'd take her if they are doing this at the one on the south side.
    Just the downtown location, but you could always head to McNellies South and order a few beer flights to make your own festival.
    2 users like DIB's post: dallasstars10, Stinger_1066

Just the downtown location, but you could always head to McNellies South and order a few beer flights to make your own festival.
    I'm sure we will. My wife and mom are both beer drinkers, as am I. No wine for those women.
    The following users like this post: DIB

I'm sure we will. My wife and mom are both beer drinkers, as am I. No wine for those women.
    They have some good flights to choose from, including an Okie one that is all Oklahoma beers.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

F5 is my new favorite local beer. Had one at The Stables Tap Room on Friday.
    A few comments but this one I had to quote ...

If you like F5, there are two other local IPAs you should try: COOPs Alpha Hive and Roughtails Hoptomitrist. I can't find Alpha Hive anywhere. But it was my favorite release in 2016. As for the Hoptomitrist, I had two people from California in the past week tell me it's one of if not the best IPA they have tasted.

Oak & Ore is fantastic.

DNR - this stuff is amazing and will get you arrested. My buddy and I had 4-6 each at Blackbird before the 2013 Texas Tech game (that was delayed by weather). I remember Bell's touchdown pass. And then the next thing I recall was being at Louie's in midtown OKC. Chalk that one up to "never, ever again."
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Last edited by Bruno Gianelli; September 24th, 2016 at 04:51 PM.

Anybody else tried oculto? I love this stuff. Infused with agave tequila. Its my go to beer now when im not drinking guiness. Yessir

They have some good flights to choose from, including an Okie one that is all Oklahoma beers.
    We ended up going to Paddy's at 101st and S. Mingo. Nice place, but the service sucked. Food was so so. They need a broader beer selection.

Did anyone go to krebs today? I missed it

Do we have a Craft Beer thread?

I had lunch in Krebs Friday on our way to Beaver's Bend. What was going on there?

The local breweries in Beaver's Bend were junk. I had a Nitro Coffee Stout and it tasted like stale coffee.

We ate at Grateful Head last night and I had a pitcher of Marshall Dunkel Lager. It was mighty tasty!

Originally Posted by metes View Post
    I had lunch in Krebs Friday on our way to Beaver's Bend. What was going on there?

The local breweries in Beaver's Bend were junk. I had a Nitro Coffee Stout and it tasted like stale coffee.

We ate at Grateful Head last night and I had a pitcher of Marshall Dunkel Lager. It was mighty tasty!
    Prairie was releasing some beers!

Wish I had been there, but the problem with going to Krebs ................... I eat at Pete's Place and get sooooo ****ing full, that I'm bloated ....... and then have trouble enjoying the great beers

Gotta decide to eat ................... or drink .....

Wish I had been there, but the problem with going to Krebs ................... I eat at Pete's Place and get sooooo ****ing full, that I'm bloated ....... and then have trouble enjoying the great beers

Gotta decide to eat ................... or drink .....
    Drink first, then eat. It's always easier to pile food on top of beer than beer on top of food.

Drink first, then eat. It's always easier to pile food on top of beer than beer on top of food.
    Yes, and I also love drinking on an empty stomach

Was visiting San Diego last week and got to check out the Ballast Point Brewery. It was fantastic. If you're an IPA fan go to the local liquor store and get a 6 pack of the Ballast Point Sulpin IPA.

https://aleheads.com/2011/07/01/the-...pa-in-america/

Link is from 2011... but it had the Sculpin ranked as the #1 IPA in the country.

I brought this home from Broken Bow. Saving it for game day.

Anyone else doing the plaza pub crawl tonight? Got to get the pitcher!!!

I got the pitcher, shaker pint , and the mug. Time for the tulip glass at saints!! Prairie beer is great

I'm must be the only one here who thinks the Oklahoma breweries are shit. Sorry, but there's no refinement. It's like a 3 year finger painting with water colors while their older siblings are onto paint brushes and oil paints. The only ones I see who like these beers are Okies and I think it's a sentimental thing. They love to load every beer with way to much hops. But to each their own.

My favorite new bar is jack macs swill and grill in Plano. I'm building a few banks down there so I've been there quite a bit checking on my projects. Once a week they rotate their kegs to something new from one of the local Texas breweries. They also have a dedicated tx whiskey wall, but that's another topic. Anyways for their anniversary they had two beers that were terrific. They were both quads which tend to be my favorite. One was Noble ****, which is a Belgian style quad and a collaboration between noble brewery and four corners brewery (the ****) It was awesome!!!! Unfortunately it was only a limited run. Very very similar westvletaren 12. In flavor. Which unfortunately, both are quite rare. I believe this was 10.X if memory serves me correctly.

The second was from Lakewood, called lions share IV. It starts life as a traditional Belgian style quad but it's then aged in a brandy casket which imparts a tantalizing finish. The sweet brandy really shines through on the back end. You pick up cherries, figs, raisins, and toffee like so many Belgian style beers, but then the sweetness of the brandy hits and it's an explosion. It's like sweet on sweet on sweet. I use sweet loosely as your average beer drinker or iPa drinker wouldn't call a Belgian style quad sweet... But I have a sensitive palate and the figs, and grapes in them impart a sweetness that's unique. It is a 12.4 similar to st. Banardus ABT 12 so be careful.

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    I'm must be the only one here who thinks the Oklahoma breweries are shit.
    Well, that seems pretty open minded.

I'm must be the only one here who thinks the Oklahoma breweries are shit. Sorry, but there's no refinement. It's like a 3 year finger painting with water colors while their older siblings are onto paint brushes and oil paints. The only ones I see who like these beers are Okies and I think it's a sentimental thing. They love to load every beer with way to much hops. But to each their own.

My favorite new bar is jack macs swill and grill in Plano. I'm building a few banks down there so I've been there quite a bit checking on my projects. Once a week they rotate their kegs to something new from one of the local Texas breweries. They also have a dedicated tx whiskey wall, but that's another topic. Anyways for their anniversary they had two beers that were terrific. They were both quads which tend to be my favorite. One was Noble ****, which is a Belgian style quad and a collaboration between noble brewery and four corners brewery (the ****) It was awesome!!!! Unfortunately it was only a limited run. Very very similar westvletaren 12. In flavor. Which unfortunately, both are quite rare. I believe this was 10.X if memory serves me correctly.

The second was from Lakewood, called lions share IV. It starts life as a traditional Belgian style quad but it's then aged in a brandy casket which imparts a tantalizing finish. The sweet brandy really shines through on the back end. You pick up cherries, figs, raisins, and toffee like so many Belgian style beers, but then the sweetness of the brandy hits and it's an explosion. It's like sweet on sweet on sweet. I use sweet loosely as your average beer drinker or iPa drinker wouldn't call a Belgian style quad sweet... But I have a sensitive palate and the figs, and grapes in them impart a sweetness that's unique. It is a 12.4 similar to st. Banardus ABT 12 so be careful.
    I won't argue taste with you, everyone has a different palette, but I will argue facts. American Solera is one of the top 20 breweries in the world, according to Untappd. Prairie Artisan Ales consistently has beers rated towards the top of about every respected beer list.

I won't argue taste with you, everyone has a different palette, but I will argue facts. American Solera is one of the top 20 breweries in the world, according to Untappd. Prairie Artisan Ales consistently has beers rated towards the top of about every respected beer list.
    I actually haven't had any of the American Solera or the Prarie artisan for that matter. I was mainly referring to the coop, mustang, and choc brands. You know.... the ones that most the restaurants and bars in the metro carry. I'm always open to try them in hopes I find one I like and can support a local brewery. But alas... none of them seem to suit my palate. Of course I'm not a heavy hop type of guy and most of the ones I try are loaded with hops

Originally Posted by OUDoc View Post
    Well, that seems pretty open minded.
    Always open and always disappointed...

I actually haven't had any of the American Solera or the Prarie artisan for that matter. I was mainly referring to the coop, mustang, and choc brands. You know.... the ones that most the restaurants and bars in the metro carry. I'm always open to try them in hopes I find one I like and can support a local brewery. But alas... none of them seem to suit my palate. Of course I'm not a heavy hop type of guy and most of the ones I try are loaded with hops
    I don't care for Mustang. Coop and Choc are good. I love Anthem's IPA (but if you aren't an IPA guy, that's fine). Roughtail 12th Round is really good (and pretty damn potent). I don't even know if Battered Boar is still around (haven't seen them in a while) but I liked what they put out a while back.

I've seen Prairie beers at liquor stores, bars and restaurants all over the country. I'm shocked they aren't available in OKC. The OKC breweries tend to make hoppy beers. Alpha Hive is probably the highest rated beer from COOP, but again, you have to like hoppy beers. If you don't, try their Territorial Reserve series. The Oak Aged Imperial stout is really good. Prairie and American Solera tend toward farmhouse ales, sours and stouts. Marshalls in Tulsa in another one that does a lot of non-hoppy beers. They have a nice Oktoberfest.
    The following users like this post: ChpThril

The IBU index is your friend.

My stash of local beers

The following users like this post: DIB

I can understand people not liking a lot of the Choc or Mustang or (some) Coop. But Prarie and Roughtail make great beers - as I said earlier, I had two guys from Cali (and one from Dallas who took me to Lakewood last OU/Texas) rave about Alpha Hive and Hoptomistrist.

Note - Choc has a 13.6% whiskey barrel ale that is MF'g the shit ... and $10 a 12oz bottle.

Just got my first pack of 12th round. Sounds like a good beer to drink while we are on defense tomorrow.
    2 users like Bruno Gianelli's post: AcousticSoup, David2016