Do we have a Craft Beer thread?

Posted 486 day(s) ago by Sooner JK12063 Views 254 Replies
Page 4 of 6 2 3 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    My stash of local beers

Do you just like the Bourbon Barrel aged stouts? I have 3 dozen B'vard Smokestacks in the bar - Bourbon Barrel Quad, Rye on Rye, and Rye on Rye Sazerac. They are ales, and my goodness are they good.
    The following users like this post: ChpThril

Originally Posted by Bruno Gianelli View Post
    Do you just like the Bourbon Barrel aged stouts? I have 3 dozen B'vard Smokestacks in the bar - Bourbon Barrel Quad, Rye on Rye, and Rye on Rye Sazerac. They are ales, and my goodness are they good.
    I always meant to try their other smoke stacks. One of my favs was the chocolate ale, but they discontinued it last year and that particular beer doesn't last more than a month

Next week is Belgium week at Tapwerks

Those are local beers that are not hop centric.

The COOP TROAIS are 2011, 12, 13, + 14, it was one of the original bourbon barrel stouts, first brew was 2010, IIRC, all I have left of that year is an empty bottle . Year is on the lower right of the label, just above " e " in " reserve ". 2015 should be in package stores soon, COOP teased it on Twitter last month.

The other is a Prairie Okie, its an oak aged brown ale. This is a corked and caged 750 ml from the first batch in 2013. I could rake in a big haul on Beer Trader with that beer, if I wanted to part with it.

I'm waiting on special occasions to open these beers, nothing really special has come along. But the stouts will age well , not sure about the Okie.

And now that Oskar Blues is available here, I've set back some Ten Fidy. I also have some original batch Prairie Bomb from 2013. Stouts age well, as opposed to beers with more hops.

Yes, I enjoy the Blvd Smoke Stack series, though they will be harder to find in 750ml corked and caged, they're moving to 4 paks of 12 oz. My wife and I enjoy the 750's , but most people don't. For us it works well, we can share one bottle. But most would rather not have to drink the entire 750, especially high ABV.

I have several Blvd Saison Brett, dating back to 2013, that I'm letting set. Its probably my favorite Smoke Stack beer. And I enjoy a good farmhouse ale or a sour as much as a stout, especially the Prairie variations.

Kinda glad I'm not the only one who trends away from beers overloaded with hops. I just don't see the point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

went to a wedding reception at 5 oaks lodge in tulsa last weekend...
    they served a local craft beer that was really good...
    unfortunately they poured it in a glass and i forgot to go back to ask what it was...

had this Breckinridge red ale last night - big fan - very tasty

The following users like this post: Sandman6

Will be anxiously waiting on this ......... might even go chase this down, if my local package store won't stock it .

2 users like Hermit's post: Bruno Gianelli, Sooner JK

Will be anxiously waiting on this ......... might even go chase this down, if my local package store won't stock it .

Good excuse to start eliminating the stash of 2015

Bourbon barrel quad has my interest...

My neighborhood package store has a 2014 Bourbon Barrel Quad ............. I'm afraid of it, I doubt it ages as well as a stout. But I look closely at it and wonder, every time I'm in the store

And btw, Blvd's Imperial Stout is one of the better bourbon barrel stouts. They store a quantity in the barrels, then blend it back with plain ole Imperial Stout, IIRC ... its 30% bourbon barrel to Imp stout.

The Rye on Rye is always a good high ABV beer.

I tried Anthem's Bourbon Barrel Aged Golden One this weekend. Surprisingly good.

http://www.anthembrewing.com/beers/b...rel-golden-one

Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    Bourbon barrel quad has my interest...
    Dude that and Rye and Rye are legit. Go to Freeman's on Western and pick up a 2015 Quad.

Originally Posted by DIB View Post
    I tried Anthem's Bourbon Barrel Aged Golden One this weekend. Surprisingly good.

http://www.anthembrewing.com/beers/b...rel-golden-one

I'd buy it just for the bottle.

Anyone here had a kronenbourg 1164 blanc? Really good. I expected a heineken skunky clone, which I hate. Instead I got a fruity witbier with hints of coriander, peach, and pineapple. Quite refreshing without being overly sweet.

This looks interesting .............

Vote yes on sq792. I'm out of the beer I brought from OU/Texas.

Originally Posted by Sandman6 View Post
    Vote yes on sq792. I'm out of the beer I brought from OU/Texas.
    My neighborhood package store , is using sacks with " Vote No on SQ792 " printed on them.

I've done business with him for years and I'm torn on continuing. I understand he's protecting his livelihood, but he's sort've killing himself if this passes. There's nothing in SQ792 that would make me go to another store. I would continue to purchase some beers from him. What's really taken my business from him, is that I am now buying beer from local brewers.

Was in the UP in Michigan hunting grouse this weekend and drank the Upper Hand Brewery Yooper IPA. It was very good.

Another in my party drank the Cortland Beer Co. Black Widow Stout. They enjoyed it as well.

They have a firmly established beer culture up there and some really amazing taverns.

Anyone here had a kronenbourg 1164 blanc? Really good. I expected a heineken skunky clone, which I hate. Instead I got a fruity witbier with hints of coriander, peach, and pineapple. Quite refreshing without being overly sweet.
    1664. It's good and decent stuff.

As for 792 ... I am torn. It's all about the out of state big box stores selling crap. That does nothing for me. I will continue to go to Freeman's or Cellar because they sell good booze. Not crap.

As for 792 ... I am torn. It's all about the out of state big box stores selling crap. That does nothing for me. I will continue to go to Freeman's or Cellar because they sell good booze. Not crap.
    Oops you're right ....1664.

Refrigeration is a part of it , and getting rid of 3.2 beer , for good.

I don't think the government should be protecting anyone's business model i.e. the local package stores . If someone can give me a good reason the govt should do this, then I will listen . Basically , liquor laws have been historically written to control distribution of alcoholic beverages, not to create a business.

I feel for these package stores who can't compete. They are going to lose their wine business, which will hurt them much more than beer. They will still have spirits , but wine and beer is where the money is at.

And I really don't expect WalMart to carry the selection of beers I'm interested in, I will still support a package store who WORKS at adapting to the new laws and providing that selection, rather than depending upon liquor laws to drive their business. Those that are afraid of change, need to disappear. Ask all the laid off oil workers, about change.

For the consumer, this is nothing but good. There will be more price competition, somethng other than having to drive to Byrons to get a slightly better price.

To me , its a free market issue, and I'm all for the freerer the better.
    2 users like Hermit's post: ChpThril, Clark W. Griswold

Refrigeration is a part of it , and getting rid of 3.2 beer , for good.

I don't think the government should be protecting anyone's business model i.e. the local package stores . If someone can give me a good reason the govt should do this, then I will listen . Basically , liquor laws have been historically written to control distribution of alcoholic beverages, not to create a business.

I feel for these package stores who can't compete. They are going to lose their wine business, which will hurt them much more than beer. They will still have spirits , but wine and beer is where the money is at.

And I really don't expect WalMart to carry the selection of beers I'm interested in, I will still support a package store who WORKS at adapting to the new laws and providing that selection, rather than depending upon liquor laws to drive their business. Those that are afraid of change, need to disappear. Ask all the laid off oil workers, about change.

For the consumer, this is nothing but good. There will be more price competition, somethng other than having to drive to Byrons to get a slightly better price.

To me , its a free market issue, and I'm all for the freerer the better.
    I would like Crest to do what Hy Vee in KC, MO does - they have a quasi separate "store" for booze. And have a great selection of craft beer and shit beer. The wine selection is average - what you would see in an average to small liquor store. Same with the booze though I think their brown selection is a tad better.

Target and Walmart in that area carry the bare minimum. Someone like Crest should step up, spend the initial capital, and create a nice little niche between places like Cellar and Freeman's and what Target and Walmart will offer.

When we used to go to Republic a lot, it was my wife's go to beer. Pretty good. I'm not as much a fan of the Kronenbourg 1664 Blac (blue botle) though.

The following users like this post: OUMallen

2016 Imperial Stout Announcement

2016 Imperial Stout Announcement

November 3, 2016
    To All Boulevard Fans:

In September of this year we released our Barrel-Aged Thrillogy sample pack featuring one 750 mL bottle each of Boulevard’s Bourbon Barrel Quad, Rye-on-Rye and Imperial Stout. Following a recent staff tasting, we’ve determined that 750 mL bottles of 2016 Imperial Stout are exhibiting off-flavors indicative of the presence of lactobacillus, a lactic acid-producing bacteria. While lactobacillus is not harmful, it can produce off-flavors and aromas not intended by our brewers, most notably a distinct tartness.

Before the beer was released, we found no evidence of any issue in the microbiological testing or sensory evaluations performed by our Quality Assurance team, as the acidity had not yet become pronounced enough to be detected. Over the intervening weeks, however, in bottles stored both warm and cold, sufficient lactic acid has been produced to become noticeable.

We are currently conducting extensive research to pinpoint the precise source of the problem, and taking immediate steps to try to ensure that it does not happen again. We can state with confidence that no other Boulevard beers in the marketplace, including 12-ounce bottles of 2016 Imperial Stout, have been compromised.

To those who purchased the 2016 Barrel-Aged Thrillogy package, please know that neither Bourbon Barrel Quad nor Rye-on-Rye bottles are affected. We apologize for this problem, and are offering a refund to any consumer who purchased the Barrel-Aged Thrillogy sample pack in the amount of one-third of the total retail price paid. To receive a refund, send us the name of the store where you purchased the package, the total purchase price, your name and mailing address, and a scan or photo of the back label from your 750 mL bottle of 2016 Imperial Stout. If you purchased more than one Barrel-Aged Thrillogy sample pack, please include a scan or photo of all Imperial Stout bottles together.

You can email this information to [email protected], or send it by regular mail to “Imperial Stout Refund, Boulevard Brewing Company, 2501 Southwest Boulevard, Kansas City, MO 64108.” You can expect a check within 2-4 weeks of your submission.

Again, please note that no other Boulevard beers are affected, including 12-ounce bottles of 2016 Imperial Stout.

We strive every day to make superior beers, and are disappointed that this batch of Imperial Stout did not live up to our expectations, or to yours. We promise to learn from this situation, and to redouble our efforts to make only the finest ales and lagers that you’ve come to expect from Boulevard Brewing Company.

If you have any questions about this release, or any other Boulevard offering, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us.

Interesting, this is insurance claims ...

10 common claims from craft breweries

Yea, I get to have beer today !!

I've been dieting for the past four weeks with success, lost eight pounds. I'm limiting myself to beer , two days a week. And cutting calories way down and pedaling my bicycle 75 to 100 miles per week.

Being inactive due to shoulder surgery and drinking waayyy toooo much good craft beer, I'd put on too many pounds.

My buddy and I want to the Hopping Gnome Brewery Company in Wichita last night. They had some very tasty beers.

Any one go to the whiskey nemesis release? Pretty tasty beer. Lots of coconut.

Originally Posted by LordOfLittlePeople View Post
    Any one go to the whiskey nemesis release? Pretty tasty beer. Lots of coconut.
    Did not make that .... just could not get away. I understand it was a brewery release only ?

Did not make that .... just could not get away. I understand it was a brewery release only ?
    Yeah. Only like 41 cases. I didn't make it either.

Deschutes Armory....try it

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

They had the same problem with the chocolate ale 2 or 3 years ago.

Boulevard intends to release some new brews for 2017.... Here's the beers and projected release dates according the Boulevard release schedule.

Show-Me Sour (February release)
    Berliner Weisse (August)
    Imperial Pilsner (March)
    Milk Stout (September)
    Scotch-on-Scotch (February)
    Barrel-Aged Blend (April)
    Love Child No. 8 (June)
    Upper Crust Fruit Tart (July)
    Collaboration No. 7 (August)
    Cider (October)
    Barleywine (November)
    an as-yet unnamed summer seasonal (April)

Quite a few of these have my interest...

Pirate bomb comes out tomorrow. Is there a store selling cases?

I had a couple of the Roughtail Make Out Sessions last night and holy **** it's good. They own IPA and if some flemish **** sticks try to buy them we need to get a group together and run them out of town.

18.8 point bourbon barrel aged pumpkin porter from Avery. It was a sipper. Tasted more like a bourbon than a beer. Conflicting feelings about that one.

Originally Posted by AcousticSoup View Post

18.8 point bourbon barrel aged pumpkin porter from Avery. It was a sipper. Tasted more like a bourbon than a beer. Conflicting feelings about that one.

That would be really hard to hide the boozy flavor , in that beer.

Looks like the new manager is clearing out Greg Powell's cellar . I've not been to Tapwerks since Greg left.

It was cool , when Greg was at Tapwerks. If you ordered a beer from his cellar, he would bring it to your table personally, and pour it for you.

He's gonna do well with Prairie at their new beer pub. I know, I will be a regular.

That would be really hard to hide the boozy flavor , in that beer.
    That was the problem. It didn't taste like a beer at all.

This is tooooo cool, I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger on this purchase

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008K4FTV8...inkId=31504112

i think i mentioned a while back that i had a really good craft beer at a wedding reception in tulsa but didn't know what it was...
    i found out it was a marshall brewing craft beer ...
    unfortunately it was an octoberfest seasonal beer...
    they have others year round so i'm going to get some if i can find it in enid...

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    i think i mentioned a while back that i had a really good craft beer at a wedding reception in tulsa but didn't know what it was...
    i found out it was a marshall brewing craft beer ...
    unfortunately it was an octoberfest seasonal beer...
    they have others year round so i'm going to get some if i can find it in enid...
    Why not just make a trip to Tulsa and visit the brewery ? Its not that far and would be worth your time.

i don't get to tulsa much during the week...
    also....i don't value alcohol that highly that i'd drive almost 2 hours to visit a brewery...

I had a request from a family member in KC - a real beer connoisseur - who is wanting me to obtain a gaggle of Roughtail Everything Rhymes with Orange. I cannot make it to the brewery this weekend and it's only opened Friday afternoons and Saturday. I will be leaving for KC the 30th.

So ... anyone seen this beer in the metro aside from the brewery?

found some Breckinridge Christmas Ale at Total Wine - best seasonal ale ever imo

also interesting article from the twitters:

http://gearpatrol.com/2016/12/23/the...ng-to-brewers/

I just finished a Great Divide Yeti , not the expresso Yeti or any variation thereof, just the plain ole Yeti from way back, an Imperial Stout. Its not even bourbon barrel aged.

And this is one of the great classic craft beers. Its delicious. A real favorite of mine.