#SoonerSquad17 Discussion Thread

Posted 186 day(s) ago 147165 Views 1463 Replies
Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11

Swag #SoonerSquad17 Discussion Thread

maudz, don't **** this one up by making it a dump thread!

We could possibly sign 27 in this

Boomer Sooner!!!
    Last edited by SoonerWarrior; July 20th, 2016 at 01:36 PM.

Originally Posted by p23570 View Post
    maudz, don't **** this one up by making it a dump thread!
    THANK YOU

Originally Posted by SoonerWarrior View Post
    Class barring any Juniors go to the draft
    4 OL
    1 QB
    4 to 5 WR
    2 to 3 RB
    4 to 5 DL/DE
    4 to 5 LB
    4 to 5 DB
    2 ATH
    1 P
    Would have to have multiple juniors leave in order to take 25+ so it's not barring, but I pretty much agree with your breakdown except for the 2 Ath. Going off your list there wouldn't be any need for two athletes as you have OU getting at least 4 DL, 4 WR, 4 LB, and 4 DBs.

the number of spots that will be open per position due to graduation:

pos: (number of players at said position bob stoops said he wants) - (number of players that will still have eligibility after the seniors graduate) = (number of spots open)

qb: 4 - 3 = 1
    wr: 14 - 7 = 7
    rb: 6 - 4 = 2
    te/fb: 4 - 2 = 2
    ol: 16 - 14 = 2

dl: 12.5 - 10 = 2.5
    lb: 10.5 - 10 = 0.5
    db: 15 - 13 = 2

k/p: 2 - 1 = 1

so, that currently gives ou a total of 19 open spots for this class. throwing in normal attrition (nfl/injury/trouble/quit/etc...), and 24-25 is reasonable. 27 is possible, but it's really hard to say at this point. right around a month from now we'll know a lot more on the number of open spots.

one thing that stands out to me is the number of seemingly open wr spots. there's no way they sign 7 wrs in one class. i think the max number of quality wrs they could get in one recruiting cycle would be 5. some pwo wrs 'bout to get some free schoolin'!

Just like we are seeing Cooks transform the talent level for the secondary, Simmons and Gundy are doing for WR. Gonna be a huge talent infusion at both those positions over the next couple of classes although Simmons first class wasnt bad at all.
    The following users like this post: Kelulu

Originally Posted by TheJaffe View Post
    Just like we are seeing Cooks transform the talent level for the secondary, Simmons and Gundy are doing for WR. Gonna be a huge talent infusion at both those positions over the next couple of classes although Simmons first class wasnt bad at all.
    they're gonna have to. loading up on a bunch of 4th/5th/6th option guys won't cut it with only 7 scholarship wrs returning next year. time to get multiple players that EVERYBODY wants or else the wr decline we likely see this year will extend to next year as well.

with how prolific ou has been at throwing the ball under stoops, it still amazes me how hard it has seemed for ou to land highly thought of wrs.
    The following users like this post: HCF01

they're gonna have to. loading up on a bunch of 4th/5th/6th option guys won't cut it with only 7 scholarship wrs returning next year. time to get multiple players that EVERYBODY wants or else the wr decline we likely see this year will extend to next year as well.

with how prolific ou has been at throwing the ball under stoops, it still amazes me how hard it has seemed for ou to land highly thought of wrs.
    Well, having one do something worth a darn in the pro's would help. Just my opinion...

Yeah, no shit! I'm glad that we have the attention of the top WRs on OUr board with a good possibility of landing them (Joseph Lewis, Omar Manning, etc.) as opposed to yesteryear where took the (insert what ever the **** you want to call it here) approach. Sure, I'll credit him with getting Mark Andrews and Shep but the bottom line is that most of his guys never panned out.

Kind of a miscocpetion though if you look at the last couple of recruiting classes for WR. Based on paper the WR class of '14 was a top three positional class that year based on the caliber of player brought in. I think one of Green or Miller will eventually become a solid contributor to along with the production we will have gotten out of Dede for the class of '15. OU bombed on the class of '16 because they only brought in two WRs now that Hardy is gone, but they are killing with the class of '17.

2 users like HCF01's post: p23570, TheJaffe

Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Well, having one do something worth a darn in the pro's would help. Just my opinion...
    honestly, that should really be another selling point. just imagine what they would have done on the field in college if, say, julio jones picked ou instead? might not have been drafted higher, but he would have caught a ton more balls.

but, ya, it wouldn't hurt for shep to do something big this year.

Marquis Hayes (as posted above) has big time news coming at 1pm. seeing as how he's taking an official visit today and what other #Soonersquad17 kids are tweeting, I'd say he's about to commit to us! Get ready!

Originally Posted by HCF01 View Post
    #Justwaitonit

We have 79 players on scholarship now
    Soonersports.com roster has a somewhat of an update but they don't have Walk on Juco WR Reggie Turner on there yet.

1. Charles Walker is most likely going pro
    2. Jordan Thomas
    3. Steven Parker
    4. Baker Mayfield
    5 . Samaje Perine
    6. Joe Mixon hopefully he stays another year
    7. William Johnson
    8. Gabriel Campbell could transfer next year
    9. Depending if Johncarlo Valentin makes it in
    10. So after all that we lose 15 SRs on scholarship so that could make 27.

There it is. BOOM! Another addition to the already stellar class.

2 users like HCF01's post: CrimsonOberon, SoonerWarrior

#BedenbaughKnows
    4 users like TheJaffe's post: andymancan20, CrimsonOberon, HCF01, SportyJames

2 users like HCF01's post: andymancan20, txbbcoach4OU

I approve this thread.

Dont sleep on PWO Turner.,He's a burner with good feet. I bet he gets a ship before the year is up
    Originally Posted by TheJaffe View Post
    Kind of a miscocpetion though if you look at the last couple of recruiting classes for WR. Based on paper the WR class of '14 was a top three positional class that year based on the caliber of player brought in. I think one of Green or Miller will eventually become a solid contributor to along with the production we will have gotten out of Dede for the class of '15. OU bombed on the class of '16 because they only brought in two WRs now that Hardy is gone, but they are killing with the class of '17.

Originally Posted by qaz View Post
    Dont sleep on PWO Turner.,He's a burner with good feet. I bet he gets a ship before the year is up
    I completely agree. He looks like Westbrook 2.0, IMO.
    The following users like this post: qaz

Need to get some highly rated OL. Ohio state has two 5* ol. Hard to beat teams when you can't get a push.

Sent from my 7040T using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by oupunk View Post
    Need to get some highly rated OL. Ohio state has two 5* ol. Hard to beat teams when you can't get a push.

I could counter your statement, and argue that UNC had "the best offensive line" in the country last year. And Clemson steamrolled those guys. If you have studs on the D-Line, you can get through a solid O-Line.

Another example is Eric Striker vs Alabama a few years ago.
    The following users like this post: melbitoast

Soonersports.com roster has a somewhat of an update but they don't have Walk on Juco WR Reggie Turner on there yet.

2. Jordan Thomas
    3. Steven Parker
    4. Baker Mayfield
    5 . Samaje Perine
    7. William Johnson
    Huh??

Originally Posted by BobStoopsGinger View Post
    I could counter your statement, and argue that UNC had "the best offensive line" in the country last year. And Clemson steamrolled those guys. If you have studs on the D-Line, you can get through a solid O-Line.

I wouldn't call a one TD difference in a high scoring game a steam rolling. First half was a battle.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    I wouldn't call a one TD difference in a high scoring game a steam rolling. First half was a battle.
    I watched the whole game, and Clemson was killing their O-Line. Marquis Williams at one point was 7 for 28 or something like that. He couldn't hit anything, because he didn't have any time.

Edit: Yep, I was right. He finished a phenomenal 11/33.

I watched the whole game, and Clemson was killing their O-Line. Marquis Williams at one point was 7 for 28 or something like that. He couldn't hit anything, because he didn't have any time.

Edit: Yep, I was right. He finished a phenomenal 11/33.
    Okay if you're just going to be the "box score" guy ... well he pretty much was just as accurate against VTech but threw only ONE touchdown against VT versus THREE touchdowns against Clemson. Clemson had a grand total of two sacks and one interception versus NC (Pretty sure Striker was a little more productive versus Bama). So with your box score logic: VTech Defensive Line > Clemson Defensive Line.

Yes Clemson has an elite offensive line but versus NC ... it was by no way a "steam rolling".

My point was more pointing to the future not what certain teams did last year. Has Bama has had high rankings the last several years? Yes, and we beat them. Yet how many nc do they have vs ou in last decade?

I used to think the problem was the hbc, now I'm thinking it it's more recruiting. Ss17 it's great but we need highly coveted line players to go with the skill.

2. Jordan Thomas
    3. Steven Parker
    4. Baker Mayfield
    5 . Samaje Perine
    7. William Johnson
    i'd be willing to bet that not all of them leave early. namely 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8.

Imagine how bad it would have been if their O-Line sucked.
    The following users like this post: BobStoopsGinger

Originally Posted by oupunk View Post
    My point was more pointing to the future not what certain teams did last year. Has Bama has had high rankings the last several years? Yes, and we beat them. Yet how many nc do they have vs ou in last decade?

I used to think the problem was the hbc, now I'm thinking it it's more recruiting. Ss17 it's great but we need highly coveted line players to go with the skill.

Don't they usually say that OL is hard to project from HS to college? I'm assuming it's mostly because they don't know how much additional weight a guy will put on his frame, how much power he can gain, stuff like that..

anyone here worried about Tre Brown visiting Florida and FSU?

Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    He visited Alabama, and nothing came out of it. I think he just wants to to see the country. No big deal.
    2 users like jdizzle's post: andymancan20, HCF01

Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    Maybe he can recruit some FLA kids.

We get Okudah, & Brown is SOLID!

Campbell almost enlisted...nothing to do with transferring. It would be a toss up really. His family prob talked him into giving it one more year. If he doesn't see the field then he could very well rethink that decision
    i'd be willing to bet that not all of them leave early. namely 3, 4, 6, 7, and 8.

The following users like this post: CalSOONER

I think it's about time for Chaisson or Hines to make it official
    4 users like TheBorenSupremacy's post: HCF01, northspeter, OU812, thatsoonerfan89

2 users like HCF01's post: andymancan20, p23570

He's probably talking about our move to the B1G. .
    The following users like this post: Nostalgic Scientist

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    Post it in there and watch everyone freak out. A shit show in there anyway

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: thatsoonerfan89

Stoops seems re-energized / re-committed to kicking ass in recruiting. Let's hope this leads to a NC

Is he talking about what he's going to do when he gets here, or is he talking more commits?

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Is he talking about what he's going to do when he gets here, or is he talking more commits?
    Another possible commit. There's a lot of Twitter chatter but no one specific. Let's just say that the Recruiting BBQ could be fulls of Booms!
    2 users like HCF01's post: Nostalgic Scientist, OU812

SMH...BOOMER!

For the comically impaired, this was a joke.

For the comically impaired, this was a joke.
    I don't understand how people could take it any other way. Especially when you hear about the juggernaut programs kicking the tires on the big 12's chevy Capri.

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    I don't understand how people could take it any other way. Especially when you hear about the juggernaut programs kicking the tires on the big 12's chevy Capri.
    What's a Chevy Capri?

The official pants of the members of soonersquad17. You can't drive a caprice without capris.