#SoonerSquad17 Discussion Thread

Posted 181 day(s) ago by p23570130810 Views 1251 Replies
Page 4 of 26 2 3 4 5 6 14

Originally Posted by TheJaffe View Post
    Many players shouldn't leave, that doesn't stop them tho. Also as deep as this RB class will be, it's not like he would go undrafted.
    No. But maybe 5th round
    The following users like this post: TheJaffe

Originally Posted by CalSOONER View Post
    Rivals is big into Nickelback.
    that explains so much

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post
    No. But maybe 5th round
    Possibly lower then that, depending on his year.

Trivia God
    There is no off position on the Genius Switch.

Mixon isnt leaving (at least he shouldn't) because the RB class is loaded at a position the NFL draft doesn't value
    Friendly wager on that? I have NO inside sources but my gut is telling me he has planned all along to leave after 3 years in Norman and will do so as people who shouldn't have left early did. See : Jefferson, Tony

Originally Posted by BernieMadoff View Post
    Friendly wager on that? I have NO inside sources but my gut is telling me he has planned all along to leave after 3 years in Norman and will do so as people who shouldn't have left early did. See : Jefferson, Tony
    That worked out for Tony financially though. While he was making 450k, others were still playing for the chance to get paid. Tony wasn't even a good measurement guy so him leaving in hindsight wasn't a bad decision IMO.
    3 users like TheJaffe's post: BernieMadoff, Hang Half a Hundred, northspeter

Trivia God

That worked out for Tony financially though. While he was making 450k, others were still playing for the chance to get paid. Tony wasn't even a good measurement guy so him leaving in hindsight wasn't a bad decision IMO.
    Agree completely. My point was that Tony had predetermined that he was gone after 3 and I think Mixon has done the same.
    2 users like BernieMadoff's post: Hang Half a Hundred, TheJaffe

Mixon should let Perine go, and him become the solo feature back if he wants big draft money. If he gets 25+ touches a game, it would help his stats and draft status
    The following users like this post: RockE

Agree completely. My point was that Tony had predetermined that he was gone after 3 and I think Mixon has done the same.
    I do agree that Mixon unlike Tony would be leaving money on the table if he comes out this year. This he is a 4th to 5th round pick. Next as the lead back I could see going no lower than 3rd, which would add about 500k to his rookie contract.

To be fair we've only seen the kid one year in college. Let's see how this year plays out before we rate his draft status.
    4 users like OUMick's post: Leroy Jenkins, melbitoast, soonerlarry, StatGeek

Tony didn't lose a year of playing time because he broke some girls
    Jaw and he also wasn't a backup splitting reps with third teamers.

MIxon isn't going anywhere this year unless he messes up again leaves for another college team .

Teams aren't going to throw major money to a back up rb who has only played two years in college and also has huge baggage that will follow him to whatever organization signs him. He's very unproven and could be a PR nightmare if tape comes out ( even if he's stays out of trouble )

It's too easy to draft quality rbs . They are a dime a dozen .

MIxon will play on Sunday's but he's going to be in Norman at least a couple more years . Hopefully for his future the tape is never released because if it is , he may never make a team .

I'm not saying I agree with the PC women's movement , but sponsors do .
    The following users like this post: soonerbartender

Trivia God

Originally Posted by Sooner 1234 View Post

MIxon isn't going anywhere this year unless he messes up again leaves for another college team .

Teams aren't going to throw major money to a back up rb who has only played two years in college and also has huge baggage that will follow him to whatever organization signs him. He's very unproven and could be a PR nightmare if tape comes out ( even if he's stays out of trouble )

MIxon will play on Sunday's but he's going to be in Norman at least a couple more years . Hopefully for his future the tape is never released because if it is , he may never make a team .

Again, friendly wager? He MIGHT stay one more year, which I personally doubt, but there is no way he stays two.
    The following users like this post: Hang Half a Hundred

Again, friendly wager? He MIGHT stay one more year, which I personally doubt, but there is no way he stays two.
    I've never seen a player come out as a sophomore to be a 4th round pick ( or worse) .

no way any player in their right mind would leave with two years available ( unless grade trouble/ injury problems )

He will have the best qb in the country, plus maybe the best oline in the country in 2017. Not to mention be the feature back .

You are acting like he's a once every 5 year qb , or a dominant left tackle , or a 300 pound defensive tackle who runs a 4.7

You act like scouts are drooling over him , rbs like him grow on trees .

He's a rb . Dime a dozen .

Not to mention a sophomore ....... Who doesn't even start on his own team .......... A broke a girls jaw in which video will more then likely come out within the next couple of years .

He WILL be back
    2 users like Sooner 1234's post: jccouger, soonerbartender

Last edited by Sooner 1234; August 25th, 2016 at 12:10 PM.

Trivia God

I've never seen a player come out as a sophomore to be a 4th round pick ( or worse) .

no way any player in their right mind would leave with two years available ( unless grade trouble/ injury problems )

He will have the best qb in the country, plus maybe the best oline in the country in 2017. Not to mention be the feature back .

He WILL be back
    I will say once again: Friendly wager? $10 bet for the board?

I will say once again: Friendly wager? $10 bet for the board?
    Do you think the chance of wining $10 is even worth remembering ??? Is $10 really some type of victory ??

i'd be happy to take both of your money.
    2 users like p23570's post: BernieMadoff, HCF01

Originally Posted by skeeter starfish View Post
    Mixon should let Perine go, and him become the solo feature back if he wants big draft money. If he gets 25+ touches a game, it would help his stats and draft status
    The best thing for Mixon to do is to leave after this year for reasons totally unrelated to football
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Zero chance Mixon stays 2 years.

Trivia God

Do you think the chance of wining $10 is even worth remembering ??? Is $10 really some type of victory ??
    Name your price.

Name your price.
    If your begging for a $10 bet then believe me..... It would be more then you could cover .

How does a staff prepare for a huge game while hosting the largest recruiting weekend in his tenure? Honestly what are the logistics?

How does a staff prepare for a huge game while hosting the largest recruiting weekend in his tenure? Honestly what are the logistics?
    I think i read somewhere that's what Steve Spurrier Jr. was brought in to do?

All I ask is that OU beats Ohio State. The Notre dame game back in 2012 had the same buzz that this one does, be we came up short and didn't leave with any moment recruiting wise. If OU wins this game it's not only going to amplify this current class, it's will set the tone for 2018 as the class to be in IMO. This year could be one that was the fuel that launched OU into the Bama, Ohio State, territory in recruiting for years to come.
    6 users like TheJaffe's post: Batigs, HCF01, NickDangerThirdEye, OU48A, OU812, TheBorenSupremacy

He WILL be back
    I think what Bernie is saying is that it doesn't matter to Joe what his draft status is. He planned to stay 3 and go to the NFL, there is nothing stopping him from doing that. He would just have to live with a lower draft position and less money.

All I ask is that OU beats Ohio State. The Notre dame game back in 2012 had the same buzz that this one does, be we came up short and didn't leave with any moment recruiting wise. If OU wins this game it's not only going to amplify this current class, it's will set the tone for 2018 as the class to be in IMO. This year could be one that was the fuel that launched OU into the Bama, Ohio State, territory in recruiting for years to come.
    You could be right. I think as long as OU retains the offensive system they shouldn't have much of problem recruiting top flight offensive talent. It's the elite defensive national recruits that I would like to see us getting in on again. Every year during the NFL draft, most of the elite defensive talent seems to come from Bama, LSU, Ohio St., USC, Georgia, Florida, insert another NFL defensive pipeline program here ____. In order to start getting in on more of those guys, you have to CONSISTENTLY beat the aforementioned schools so as to change the narrative that surrounds your program. Signing guys like Caleb Kelly, Neville Gallimore, Mark Jackson, and having '17 guys like Levi Draper committed that could have gone anywhere are a good start but if you beat tOSU you really put yourself in a position to have a fighting chance at landing any kid on THEIR board.
    2 users like HCF01's post: cccasooner2, TheJaffe

Originally Posted by HCF01 View Post
    You could be right. I think as long as OU retains the offensive system they shouldn't have much of problem recruiting top flight offensive talent. It's the elite defensive national recruits that I would like to see us getting in on again. Every year during the NFL draft, most of the elite defensive talent seems to come from Bama, LSU, Ohio St., USC, Georgia, Florida, insert another NFL defensive pipeline program here ____. In order to start getting in on more of those guys, you have to CONSISTENTLY beat the aforementioned schools so as to change the narrative that surrounds your program. Signing guys like Caleb Kelly, Neville Gallimore, Mark Jackson, and having '17 guys like Levi Draper committed that could have gone anywhere are a good start but if you beat tOSU you really put yourself in a position to have a fighting chance at landing any kid on THEIR board.
    I disagree with that completely, 1000%. You may sway a kid who has tOSU and OU in their finalists. But just beating a team doesn't make a team a favorite for a kid they have not been recruiting.

Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    I disagree with that completely, 1000%. You may sway a kid who has tOSU and OU in their finalists. But just beating a team doesn't make a team a favorite for a kid they have not been recruiting.
    I didn't say that simply beating a team made you a favorite to land a recruit. I said, "Signing guys like Caleb Kelly, Neville Gallimore, Mark Jackson, and having '17 guys like Levi Draper committed that could have gone anywhere are a good start but if you beat tOSU you really put yourself in a position to have a fighting chance at landing any kid on THEIR board.
    Also, my implied statement from above is that BOTH SCHOOLS are recruiting the same kid.
    4 users like HCF01's post: cccasooner2, OU48A, RockE, TheJaffe

Trivia God

If your begging for a $10 bet then believe me..... It would be more then you could cover .
    First, it should be "If YOU'RE begging for a $10 bet. And, yeah, I was "begging" for a $10 bet. Sigh...

Second, how about this: last year the date to declare for the '16 Draft was 1/26/16. Let's assume the same day to declare for the '17 draft, 1/26/17. If Mixon hasn't declared by that date I will donate $100 to the American Cancer Society. (Stinger and I were gonna bet on something but then just decided that each of us would donate $100 to the USO and I can find that for proof of my word if you need.) If Mixon declares before that date you donate $100 to the American Cancer Society.

I know that I don't want your ass to see any of my money and I assume that you don't want my ass to see any of yours. Deal?
    2 users like BernieMadoff's post: oupunk, SoonerHawk

Originally Posted by HCF01 View Post
    Especially those kids like Dobbins and Okudah who show that they are willing to leave the state of Texas.
    The following users like this post: HCF01

Especially those kids like Dobbins and Okudah who show that they are willing to leave the state of Texas.
    ^BINGO^

I wouldn't consider Mixon's role on this team as splitting time with 3rd teamers. There have been times when both backs go relatively high when splitting carries. I'm not saying he will or won't go. I'm not saying he should or shouldn't but to make that judgement in August is ridiculous. If Perine goes down the 1st game and Mixon rushes for 2,000 yds. I think he could definitely jump in the draft. You also have no idea what kind of numbers he would put up in the combine. There have been many players including running backs that stock soars after the combine.

First, it should be "If YOU'RE begging for a $10 bet. And, yeah, I was "begging" for a $10 bet. Sigh...

Second, how about this: last year the date to declare for the '16 Draft was 1/26/16. Let's assume the same day to declare for the '17 draft, 1/26/17. If Mixon hasn't declared by that date I will donate $100 to the American Cancer Society. (Stinger and I were gonna bet on something but then just decided that each of us would donate $100 to the USO and I can find that for proof of my word if you need.) If Mixon declares before that date you donate $100 to the American Cancer Society.

I know that I don't want your ass to see any of my money and I assume that you don't want my ass to see any of yours. Deal?
    Make it interesting. "Who's going to be the bottom?" bet.

Or "post your tax returns if you lose", since financial smack was brought up
    The following users like this post: BernieMadoff

Trivia God

Shit. You've seen me. You KNOW I would be The Top.

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    I think what Bernie is saying is that it doesn't matter to Joe what his draft status is. He planned to stay 3 and go to the NFL, there is nothing stopping him from doing that. He would just have to live with a lower draft position and less money.
    Was it joes plan of losing a year of playing football because he broke a girls jaw?

Again all these people thinking Joe is all about making millions or making the nfl ate completely wrong .

If that were true he would have transferred to Oregon / ucla and playing football as a true freshman vs sitting out a year not only from football but the team .
    He and his family are intelligent people and they aren't going to throw always MILLIONS by coming out when he's not ready .

Again if his " plan was to play three years and go to the draft" he would have left OU in a heartbeat and started from day one at another program as a true freshman and on his way to the nfl after this season .

He's a team player and obviously being patient for better things in the future in not a problem , since he sat a whole season .

HOw many true freshman who are halfway across the country from home , who are told they are going to miss a whole season and barred from any team activities , know they could leave tomorrow, move closer to home and play instantly for another program ...... Stay ??? Not many

Trivia God

Was it joes plan of losing a year of playing football because he broke a girls jaw?

Again all these people thinking Joe is all about making millions or making the nfl ate completely wrong .

If that were true he would have transferred to Oregon / ucla and playing football as a true freshman vs sitting out a year not only from football but the team .
    He and his family are intelligent people and they aren't going to throw always MILLIONS by coming out when he's not ready .

Again if his " plan was to play three years and go to the draft" he would have left OU in a heartbeat and started from day one at another program as a true freshman and on his way to the nfl after this season .

He's a team player and obviously being patient for better things in the future in not a problem , since he sat a whole season .

HOw many true freshman who are halfway across the country from home , who are told they are going to miss a whole season and barred from any team activities , know they could leave tomorrow, move closer to home and play instantly for another program ...... Stay ??? Not many
    So...taking my latest bet. Yes or no?

So...taking my latest bet. Yes or no?
    Damnit Bernie haven't you figured it out. Your opinion is wrong and only his can be right. He's given you reason after reason why Mixon will stay. He has obviously talked to Joe many times about the subject.
    The following users like this post: BernieMadoff

So any SoonerSquad17 updates?
    4 users like barlowd's post: Bear_Jew, StatGeek, thatsoonerfan89, WestCoastSooner

3 users like D1ehard5oon3r's post: Clwright0331, Malicong, RockE

How bout loser post shower pics of their wife?

Chris Robison injured his shoulder in the first game...

Sounds like he was just held out for precaution. I hope Chris has a good year.
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

Not gonna lie - I am loving this class.

But I am also watching 2.5* Mike Evans lighting up the Browns

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    Not gonna lie - I am loving this class.

But I am also watching 2.5* Mike Evans lighting up the Browns
    That dude is a hell of a story.

Tulsa Union (Trey Brown) just beat Texas power house South Lake Carroll (Robert Barnes)...BOOMER!
    2 users like IKE93's post: andymancan20, OU48A

Originally Posted by IKE93 View Post
    Tulsa Union (Trey Brown) just beat Texas power house South Lake Carroll (Robert Barnes)...BOOMER!
    http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...90b6d42f4.html
    The following users like this post: IKE93

Watched some of the HS football on ESPN Sat. and the network is pimping so hard in recruiting for the SEC it's sickening. They might as well list ESPN as a recruiting tool/service for the SEC.
    The following users like this post: freedombird

BOB PRZYBYLO
    10:57 AM
    SoonerSquad17 hit the gridiron in full force this weekend.

Week 0 is in the books, and Oklahoma’s commits put on a show across the country. Here’s a look at how the Sooners pledges fared over the weekend.
    http://www.scout.com/college/oklahom...-rewind-week-0

PS: Be sure and watch Levi Draper destroy some poor little kid.
    The following users like this post: andymancan20

Anthony Hines is committing on November 29th...the same day as Baron Browning. Something tells me that isn't a coincidence, and it scares the hell out of me! Browning is a Longhorn lock, hence why it scares me.

Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Anthony Hines is committing on November 29th...the same day as Baron Browning. Something tells me that isn't a coincidence, and it scares the hell out of me! Browning is a Longhorn lock, hence why it scares me.
    Not when Texas goes 8-5 again and Charlie strong is on the chopping block