#SoonerSquad17 Discussion Thread

Posted 186 day(s) ago by p23570147165 Views 1463 Replies
Page 6 of 30 4 5 6 7 8 16
    Trivia God
    There is no off position on the Genius Switch.

Originally Posted by Sooner 1234 View Post
    Wouldn't you agree OU has out recruited Baylor the last few years? Same with Houston. I promise you they would have switched classes with us in a heart beat( the last 5 years) and beat us even WORSE last week.again I can think of one player ou offere that signed with Houston.

The development isn't there anymore. Where are the Claytons, Griffins, Codys, Straits, that came to ou and completely changed as players? Where are the wilkersons, Roys, and Woolfolks that changed positions and became absolute stars?

Where is the genius coaching moves by putting them in the perfect place to succeed ? Where is the development?

Recruiting is overrated if you cant develop player too.

We literally have no depth because our development is pathetic.

We have a true freshman , who wasn't even here most of summer .....that is probably going to start at corner from here on out. Not because hes a star....its because our development of other highly recruited kids sucks.

Name me a list of guys that came in , took a couple of years to make an impact , were developed .......and now are difference makers. its would be a very short list.

Our players either come in as impact players or they never even see the field. That's horrible development.

If we had got smoked by OHIO STATE last week, then I would agree with the need for upgrade talent issue. We got smoked by Houston, that's not a talent issue...that's a developmental issue.

te
    1. On paper, yes. By the Eye Test, maybe. Skill position other than RB, no.
    2. Those Players PUT IN THE WORK. Do we have the slightest idea as to whether the current Players work as hard as that group?
    3. Who is most responsible for "development"? A Coach who keeps trying to give Players chances and they either fail to take advantage of those chances or blow assignments?

Originally Posted by Leroy Jenkins View Post
    He visited Texas last weekend. And with Houston on a huge upswing, I think OU's chances are pretty slim.

But if OU beats Ohio State, TCU, and Texas...that'd be helpful
    OU is top 2. I interviewed him. Talk to him regularly.
    4 users like Coov23's post: HCF01, Leroy Jenkins, northspeter, RockE

Originally Posted by BernieMadoff View Post
    1. On paper, yes. By the Eye Test, maybe. Skill position other than RB, no.
    2. Those Players PUT IN THE WORK. Do we have the slightest idea as to whether the current Players work as hard as that group?
    3. Who is most responsible for "development"? A Coach who keeps trying to give Players chances and they either fail to take advantage of those chances or blow assignments?
    Again we use to get more with less and now we get less with more.

Look at our wide side corner . We have always had a player that we could plug in and be serviceable .Now we have a true freshman ( who basically missed all of summer camp ) starting because the undersized veteran is even worse.Both have played HORRIBLE so far.

It's not this freshman is just amazing and best out some solid cbs. We are just that bad that a true freshman can literally walk in be at ou one month and wining the starting job Ina supposedly NC type team .
    This kid is struggling and not ready to be a starter but he's STILL the best we have? That's pathetic .

I think Cobb will be an outstanding CB , I honestly feel bad for him because it's obvious he's struggling and not ready.

I've never seen a bigger hole ( position wise ) at Oklahoma unless their were multiple injuries / players dismissed .Without major improvement that CB position will cost us another 1to 2 games . Heck it's probably a huge reason we already have one loss.

I'm straight up telling you development is not there. This staff can't be that unlucky of signing the wrong kids year after year . THese were players everyone wanted , it's not like we are going on a limb and hoping for the best .

Same with wr.
    Last edited by Sooner 1234; September 14th, 2016 at 12:06 PM.

Look at our wide side corner . We have always had a player that we could plug in and be serviceable .Now we have a true freshman ( who basically missed all of summer camp ) starting because the undersized veteran is even worse.Both have played HORRIBLE so far.

It's not this freshman is just amazing and best out some solid cbs. We are just that bad that a true freshman can literally walk in be at ou one month and wining the starting job Ina supposedly NC type team .
    This kid is struggling and not ready to be a starter but he's STILL the best we have? That's pathetic .

I think Cobb will be an outstanding CB , I honestly feel bad for him because it's obvious he's struggling and not ready.

I've never seen a bigger hole ( position wise ) at Oklahoma unless their were multiple injuries / players dismissed .Without major improvement that CB position will cost us another 1to 2 games . Heck it's probably a huge reason we already have one loss.

I'm straight up telling you development is not there. This staff can't be that unlucky of signing the wrong kids year after year . THese were players everyone wanted , it's not like we are going on a limb and hoping for the best .

Same with wr.
    This will probably get moved to the rant thread, but whatever. Just last year we were as high as can be on Cooks, but now he can't develop players?
    3 users like SoonerSapper's post: BernieMadoff, NickDangerThirdEye, RDC212

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    This will probably get moved to the rant thread, but whatever. Just last year we were as high as can be on Cooks, but now he can't develop players?
    I think we forget that the new coaches are in year 2 so their guys are still getting into the system. As far as Mike goes I'm not sold he has it but the new guys are still working with previous staffs players
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by andymancan20 View Post
    I think we forget that the new coaches are in year 2 so their guys are still getting into the system. As far as Mike goes I'm not sold he has it but the new guys are still working with previous staffs players
    Great, now the new coaches can only develop guys they recruited. We are so screwed.

Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    Great, now the new coaches can only develop guys they recruited. We are so screwed.
    No but we can't forget they've had 1 real year to get the teaching better. I'm very disappointed in the results so far but they are new so I'm hoping we see some big jumps soon

Same with wr.
    Like I said one of the biggest holes I've ever seen . if the best we can out out there at CB is that , developing if a thing of the past

Thanks Bob, but please leave Norman ASAP!

I see Barnes and Reagor taking a trip to uterus

Close this thread...they will all go to real teams

I can't even imagine a WORSE scenario for this recruiting class!! They have to be emberassed to call themselves "commits". I see this class melting away and the usual 2-star rejects reaping the rewards!

Good news!! Can't loose next week!!
    BOOMER!!
    2 users like Tempesooner56's post: cbsooner, RedDirt717

I'm here for the exodus

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    Maybe you were high cooks , not me . This season you are seeing some of the worst technique for cbs I've ever seen at OU and we have three games I the book and not ONE int. Are you kidding me ?

I wish we would recruit elite "athletes" like the big boys do. Get em on campus and sort it out later

Regardless of the outcome on Saturday or the rest of the season for that matter this class (SS17) is the the beginning of the FUTURE for OU!! I am going to hold faith that this group will be the spring-board for the the next few years!! With a few more key additions this class will be stacked and will come in and compete right away for PT. gotta keep his group together at all costs !!

Maybe you were high cooks , not me . This season you are seeing some of the worst technique for cbs I've ever seen at OU and we have three games I the book and not ONE int. Are you kidding me ?
    Could be that the athletes want to do their own thing and not listen to he coaches...what i saw at the end of last season was great technique and tackling from the secondary...I'm sure Cooks hasnt changed much...BOOMER!

Originally Posted by IKE93 View Post
    Could be that the athletes want to do their own thing and not listen to he coaches...what i saw at the end of last season was great technique and tackling from the secondary...I'm sure Cooks hasnt changed much...BOOMER!

Really .....what I saw was the benefit of playing a bunch of back up QBs in the meat of our schedule . That's when our defense got better.

But I'm sure you are right , we returned 1cb and 2 safeties .... I'm sure they are just playing bad on purpose because they aren't listening to coaches now

I mean seriously we haven't had a major injury at qb. The staff knew all year Sanchez was going pro and what we had on campus ( depth wise )

They choose to not go Juco and stick with what they had . lucky a miracle happens and Baylor recruit falls right into their lap ..... Or it would be even worse.

How was cooks not prepared for this ? We lost NOBODY unexpectedly.

If OU can hold onto their current commits then it will be a good core coming into next season. My only worry is that we have 6-8 more spots to fill and those places will be taken by leftovers, projects etc. if more poor showings persist as the season chugs along. Using a horrible term, OU doesn't look like a "program on the rise."
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Per Brandon of TFB. I hope he's right:

Originally Posted by HCF01 View Post
    ^That’s a great post to read…
    A teams bond is critical….It take great leadership from young men who usually have great parents.
    They will help us with future recruiting classes.
    2 users like OU48A's post: BoomerSooner1997, HCF01

Kina what i was hoping for on the day of the game in Houston when I posted:

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post

Sooner Squad 17 recruits are some pretty smart kids.

They looked at that shit-show for a performance and recognized that they can come to Oklahoma and have immediate playing opportunities.
    The following users like this post: HCF01

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    ^That’s a great post to read…
    A teams bond is critical….It take great leadership from young men who usually have great parents.
    They will help us with future recruiting classes.
    I call bullshit on this . Hell we lose long term recruits every year in years when we finished strong ( last year )

What are the kids on their official visit say " this place sucks and in going to look around and back off my commitment "

You can bet with this many early NATIONAL type recruits we will lose some even with a great season . With a below expectations type season you can expect even more .

i can promise you we will lose some of the recruits it happens every year . 17 year old kids change their mind every 5 minutes .Remember the CB from Florida that was as soild as can be , recruiting for ou like a mad man every day on Twitter....... Guess what he's gone .
    The following users like this post: oupunk

Will Stoops be pissed when they take other visits?

I call bullshit on this . Hell we lose long term recruits every year in years when we finished strong ( last year )

What are the kids on their official visit say " this place sucks and in going to look around and back off my commitment "

You can bet with this many early NATIONAL type recruits we will lose some even with a great season . With a below expectations type season you can expect even more .

i can promise you we will lose some of the recruits it happens every year . 17 year old kids change their mind every 5 minutes .Remember the CB from Florida that was as soild as can be , recruiting for ou like a mad man every day on Twitter....... Guess what he's gone .
    If you don’t think players and their families don’t talk among each other about the pros and cons of the universities they have choices of, then your naïve. When a group of players and their family’s bond together it can be something that others want to be part of. We might lose a player or 2 but this is what you want to see right now.

If you don’t think players and their families don’t talk among each other about the pros and cons of the universities they have choices of, then your naïve. When a group of players and their family’s bond together it can be something that others want to be part of. We might lose a player or 2 but this is what you want to see right now.
    Again we lose 2 to 3 players in recruiting in great years , a down year it probably will be higher . That just how it's goes with early commits especially with a kid moving halfway across the country .

All the bonding bullshit , firm commit , family all in .... It's all bs .

When it comes down to the it all , they are going to go the place that is the best for them . ( at that time )
    Sure if they signed tomorrow they might all come but 5 months is forever in recruiting . New offers , new excitement. , coaches leaving ....... Shit happens in recruiting . Don't hold your breath especially in down underachieving / every coaching taking crap on you years

Lastly I've yet to ever see a kid openly talk crap about a school they are currently visiting to a reporter that covers that school .
    It's always false hope ( sometimes made up ) to keep readers happy.
    Rivals , James hale , these dumbasses ....... All the same . Keep morale high it helps with traffic

Again we lose 2 to 3 players in recruiting in great years , a down year it probably will be higher . That just how it's goes with early commits especially with a kid moving halfway across the country .

All the bonding bullshit , firm commit , family all in .... It's all bs .

When it comes down to the it all , they are going to go the place that is the best for them . ( at that time )
    Sure if they signed tomorrow they might all come but 5 months is forever in recruiting . New offers , new excitement. , coaches leaving ....... Shit happens in recruiting . Don't hold your breath especially in down underachieving / every coaching taking crap on you years

Lastly I've yet to ever see a kid openly talk crap about a school they are currently visiting to a reporter that covers that school .
    It's always false hope ( sometimes made up ) to keep readers happy.
    Rivals , James hale , these dumbasses ....... All the same . Keep morale high it helps with traffic
    It’s not at all BS…. In too many cases this has been the start of life long friendships and bonds that shared experiences bring… Good team players play as much for each other as anything else.
    Your cynicism is no more objective than a complete homer.
    The following users like this post: NickDangerThirdEye

It’s not at all BS…. In too many cases this has been the start of life long friendships and bonds that shared experiences bring… Good team players play as much for each other as anything else.
    Your cynicism is no more objective than a complete homer.
    Again our Florida CB commit recruited HALF of our current commits . He literally was our best recruiter for a while( including our coaching staff) Until he committed to Miami ......

I wonder if some of you have ever even followed recruiting . I can promise you we will lose some recruits ..... It happens EVERY YEAR .Even playing for national championship years .

Again listening to third party stories from recruiting sites about what a 17 year old impressionable kid who lives 1500 miles away is REALLY going to do 5 months from now and taking it as oath is the biggest joke I've ever seen .

Just so beautiful, love these kids.
    4 users like BobStoopsGinger's post: BoomerSooner1997, cccasooner2, DirtySouth_Sooner, Recruiting Nut

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ope...september-21st

wanted to reiterate here that as you can see, this past weekend may not have gone as planned on the field but the Sooners impressed a lot of recruits. Right now I expect the Sooners to land both Daley and Ealy. And they have obviously made a great impression on Tyler Taylor and others. – (Super K)

– Keep Your Eye on USC Commits: As many of you know, USC has struggled on the field. I spoke to a source close to the program and it sounds like whatever issues the Trojans have off the field are, in part, due to issues they have within the program. It sounds like there are a lot of unhappy players. The Sooners like to recruit California so USC’s misfortunes can sometimes lead to recruiting gains for Oklahoma.

I’ve already spoken with one USC commit on the defensive side of the ball who tells me that the Sooners have reached out to him and he plans on taking a visit to OU. However, the player did ask that I keep the information, “confidential”.

Oklahoma doesn’t have a ton of spots left in this class but there are still some and you’ll definitely want to keep your eye on the California recruitment. While I certainly don’t wish ill on anyone or any program, the harsh reality is that unless there are some drastic changes made (and perhaps a change at the QB position is a start) I get the sense USC’s troubles could just be beginning. – (Super K)
    7 users like SoonernVolved's post: BobStoopsGinger, BoomerSooner1997, cccasooner2, HCF01, O-USMC, OU48A, Recruiting Nut

We need at least 4 DTs, and probably more like 6 in next year's class, and we have none so far and don't really appear close to grabbing anyone.

The DT's on next year's roster will be Romar, Gallimore, and the oft-injured Marquise Overton.

If Thibodeaux can't pull a complete miracle, which it doesn't look like he's going to do, that's likely to be the ship that sinks Stoops career.
    The following users like this post: Miles4OU

Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    We need at least 4 DTs, and probably more like 6 in next year's class, and we have none so far and don't really appear close to grabbing anyone.

The DT's on next year's roster will be Romar, Gallimore, and the oft-injured Marquise Overton.

If Thibodeaux can't pull a complete miracle, which it doesn't look like he's going to do, that's likely to be the ship that sinks Stoops career.
    Why would we need 6 DT's, or even 4, if we are running a 3 man front?

I don't like the 3 man front but that's what we have and it doesn't seem as though we'd need quite the number of DT's as some or we have in the past.
    The following users like this post: CPSooner

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    Why would we need 6 DT's, or even 4, if we are running a 3 man front?

I don't like the 3 man front but that's what we have and it doesn't seem as though we'd need quite the number of DT's as some or we have in the past.

We rotate our guys inside and outside, and we also want to have depth.
    2 users like sperry's post: HCF01, OU48A

Originally Posted by sperry View Post

Did I miss something with Lampkin? Does not change your point if he is still here, but wondering if I missed something.

Originally Posted by SoonernVolved View Post
    https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ope...september-21st

wanted to reiterate here that as you can see, this past weekend may not have gone as planned on the field but the Sooners impressed a lot of recruits. Right now I expect the Sooners to land both Daley and Ealy. And they have obviously made a great impression on Tyler Taylor and others. – (Super K)

– Keep Your Eye on USC Commits: As many of you know, USC has struggled on the field. I spoke to a source close to the program and it sounds like whatever issues the Trojans have off the field are, in part, due to issues they have within the program. It sounds like there are a lot of unhappy players. The Sooners like to recruit California so USC’s misfortunes can sometimes lead to recruiting gains for Oklahoma.

I’ve already spoken with one USC commit on the defensive side of the ball who tells me that the Sooners have reached out to him and he plans on taking a visit to OU. However, the player did ask that I keep the information, “confidential”.

Oklahoma doesn’t have a ton of spots left in this class but there are still some and you’ll definitely want to keep your eye on the California recruitment. While I certainly don’t wish ill on anyone or any program, the harsh reality is that unless there are some drastic changes made (and perhaps a change at the QB position is a start) I get the sense USC’s troubles could just be beginning. – (Super K)
    I'll give you a thousand bucks if you tell me this USC recruit is a five-star player.

Originally Posted by Recruiting Nut View Post
    I'll give you a thousand bucks if you tell me this USC recruit is a five-star player.
    this USC recruit is a five-star player.
    4 users like qwerty's post: BernieMadoff, BobStoopsGinger, CPSooner, sovasooner

fwiw I have no idea, all I know is I'm good at following instructions.

pay up.
    4 users like qwerty's post: HCF01, OhioBornSoonerBred, Recruiting Nut, sovasooner

Originally Posted by Tempesooner56 View Post
    I can't even imagine a WORSE scenario for this recruiting class!! They have to be emberassed to call themselves "commits". I see this class melting away and the usual 2-star rejects reaping the rewards!

Good news!! Can't loose next week!!
    BOOMER!!
    Maybe they realize they can play early

Originally Posted by swizzler View Post
    Did I miss something with Lampkin? Does not change your point if he is still here, but wondering if I missed something.

You didn't, I forgot about Lampkin. That makes things slightly less disastrous, but we still need a **** ton of interior linemen.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/open-post-weekend

– Coaches On the Road: The Sooner staff is out seeing players this weekend. Some of those players are…

K’Lavon Chaisson – Was told coach Thibodeaux stopped by to see the talented OLB/DE target yesterday. I suspect they are trying to make sure Chaisson gets back up to Oklahoma for a return visit.

Darrell Simpson – Sooners also going by to see 2018 OT, Darrell Simpson (Justin, TX). Simpson is very high on the Sooners and would make a heck of a grab to add to their commitment from Brey Walker.

Tyrese Robinson – Sooner commit.

Chuck Filiaga – Oklahoma is in a great spot with Adrian Ealy who we suspect may pull the trigger next month. But that isn’t stopping them from continuing to recruit. Filiaga has moved from California to Texas and is looking at programs like Texas, TCU and OU among others. Filiaga hasn’t made a return trip to Norman but tells us he plans on it. A visit from the OU coaches could be just what they need to ensure that visit happens.

Reece Moore – Offensive coordinator, Lincoln Riley stopped by Seminole, TX yesterday to see 2018 TE/OL, Reece Moore. Moore recently visited OU and said the visit was, “awesome…I loved the atmosphere and coach Riley is a great guy!” Moore said he has also been in regular contact with coach Bedenbaugh.

Ceedee Lamb – Sooner commit was visited by OU yesterday.

Joshua Moore – We are told Oklahoma will be by to see 2018 WR target, Joshua Moore today. Oklahoma is in a good spot with Moore.

– UPDATE (Fri., 1:01 pm): I am told Sooners LB coach, Tim Kish was in Georgia yesterday to see recent OU visitor, Tyler Taylor. Also, Kish will be at Jacob Phillips game today. – (Brandon)

Well said!! After a week to cool off and no official "decommits" I'm back in the right frame of mind

Bring in SS17 and have open tryouts for every position on the field...... SS17 will occupy at least half if this happens-- BANK IT!!

The following users like this post: BobStoopsGinger

Originally Posted by SoonernVolved View Post
    https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/open-post-weekend

– Coaches On the Road: The Sooner staff is out seeing players this weekend. Some of those players are…

K’Lavon Chaisson – Was told coach Thibodeaux stopped by to see the talented OLB/DE target yesterday. I suspect they are trying to make sure Chaisson gets back up to Oklahoma for a return visit.

Darrell Simpson – Sooners also going by to see 2018 OT, Darrell Simpson (Justin, TX). Simpson is very high on the Sooners and would make a heck of a grab to add to their commitment from Brey Walker.

Tyrese Robinson – Sooner commit.

Chuck Filiaga – Oklahoma is in a great spot with Adrian Ealy who we suspect may pull the trigger next month. But that isn’t stopping them from continuing to recruit. Filiaga has moved from California to Texas and is looking at programs like Texas, TCU and OU among others. Filiaga hasn’t made a return trip to Norman but tells us he plans on it. A visit from the OU coaches could be just what they need to ensure that visit happens.

Reece Moore – Offensive coordinator, Lincoln Riley stopped by Seminole, TX yesterday to see 2018 TE/OL, Reece Moore. Moore recently visited OU and said the visit was, “awesome…I loved the atmosphere and coach Riley is a great guy!” Moore said he has also been in regular contact with coach Bedenbaugh.

Ceedee Lamb – Sooner commit was visited by OU yesterday.

Joshua Moore – We are told Oklahoma will be by to see 2018 WR target, Joshua Moore today. Oklahoma is in a good spot with Moore.

– UPDATE (Fri., 1:01 pm): I am told Sooners LB coach, Tim Kish was in Georgia yesterday to see recent OU visitor, Tyler Taylor. Also, Kish will be at Jacob Phillips game today. – (Brandon)
    Rumors came out that Josh Moore was dissing OU during & after the game with tosu.. Some SS17 members got in his grill & let him know it wasn't cool...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: BobStoopsGinger

Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    Rumors came out that Josh Moore was dissing OU during & after the game with tosu.. Some SS17 members got in his grill & let him know it wasn't cool...

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    If true good for SS17..... And to hell with Josh Moore..... Once again if true
    The following users like this post: SoonernVolved

Anyone have any performance updates on OU commits?

Tennessee was his leader going into the weekend. He was at Tenn UF game, he gone.

Originally Posted by htownSOONER View Post
    Tennessee was his leader going into the weekend. He was at Tenn UF game, he gone.
    Don't be so sure. Hearing mixed opinions on him.

Agree.

https://thefootballbrainiacs.com/ope...september-26th

most of you know that LSU has fired long time head coach Les Miles and offensive coordinator Cam Cameron. LSU is notorious for having excellent recruiting classes. Some LSU prospect were high on Oklahoma before their decision to commit to LSU. TFB reached out to a couple of players. Those players asked us to keep them anonymous for the time being.

One commit said, “I’m open. Oklahoma is a great school and I will be reaching out to their staff this week.”

Most of the recruits, however, were in shock and were just going to play it by ear for the time being. TFB spoke with one who said that he intends to talk with his parents in the next few days and then decide on his next move.

TFB spoke to a source on the OU side of things and they have full intentions to reach out to several of the commits and get a feel for they may stand, currently, with LSU having a lame duck staff (it’s election year so I had to use that pun). Keep in mind that a number of their current commits are from Louisiana and may just feel like they want to stay put and play for LSU.

As you can imagine, this is very tough on the youngsters who were hoping to be coached by Les Miles. The old adage of committing to a school and not a staff is easier said than done. These kids have built a bond and trust in the staff that they committed to at LSU. That staff won’t be there and there is no guarantee that the future staff will want to have them in their class. Some may not fit the new staff’s system. – (Brandon)

They'll all be excited to play for Herman, who's a great recruiter.

Or jimbo.