***Official 2016/17 Oklahoma City Thunder Regular Season Thread***

Posted 487 day(s) ago by Bear_Jew750028 Views 9791 Replies
Results 3,201 to 3,250 of 9792
Page 65 of 196 15 55 63 64 65 66 67 75 115 165
    I can understand what Billy was looking for with the Singler experiment, look at how the guy played in Detroit and you will see he is exactly what the Thunder needed. The big problem is Billy should have put a stop to the experiment way earlier than he did. That's probably my most frustrating aspect of Billy is he has given much longer leashes to guys like Singler to work out whatever their games are and then you have a guy like Abrines who barely gets any kind of playing time at the start of the season while several of us on here are just begging for the guy to just get some playing time. Thankfully Billy is starting to give him playing time and we are starting to see the benefits of that.
    2 users like OUMarty's post: ChocoLab, nstinson

Singler should never see the court. Id rather Huestis play over him. Playing Singler was colossally stupid on BD's part.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    When he was hired, the gauge we were going to measure him by was keeping KD. He didn't do that. So then that wasn't his fault and how we gauged and judged changed completely. I'm critical of him, yes. You're not critical of anything. Being critical doesn't make one a fair weather fan--quitting a team when they aren't playing well does. Deep throating everything a coach does doesn't make one a real fan. It makes your opinion shit.
    Who's gauge, yours? No one said Billy had to keep KD it was mostly a given KD was staying. Billy needed to make us competitive compared to Scotty and he dealt with KD injured in early part of season. He also had well established habits to undo from KD/Russ/Ibaka and he had a center with only 2 years experience (Adams). And Billy did put us in position to make the finals it was Cupcake who folded in crunch time due to his weak mind and knowing he was going to GS. That wasn't Billys fault. Maybe Billy should have benched him. But no one saw KD folding in the WCFs, no one. Cupcake was the fault of losing he had his worst 7 game stretch of BB in his career. Yes educate yourself and look it up. He had hos worst 7 games in his career. Hmmmmmm

How you can blame Billy for KD leavimg shows your ignorance as a fan. Billy has faults but he's a damn good coach. He outcoached Pops on Pops home court and SA only lost 1 game all season at home. He won on GS home court too.

KD leaving was all about KD and no one else. His mind was made up way before playoffs. He is weak as **** and buddied ip with GS players after the SB in Feb. Blaming Billy shows how little you know about this team.

Billy has faults but all coaches do. I think he should have been playing Amo more earlier. Singler less. But when I saw what he did in playoffs last year he completely ****ed with Pops and lineups, and I think the experimemts during reg season set that up. See, if you always do the fan thing and play the exact same starters or bench combos then teams have much more film. If you throw a lot of lineups in reg season teams in playoffs can only guess what you may do.

Benches are key in playoffs and Billy does a lot of mix and match. Come playoffs he will have a lot of secret recipes to use depending on situations. And those role players will have played enough quality (crunch time) minutes in reg season to give good minutes in playoffs. Lets take Singler, we all know he sux. We also know his cost is too high to trade. So Billy may try him against a "type" of player in reg season to get him experience. It may be that type of player is similar to a playoff team player and could be helpful if we have foul trouble or are not defending him well. The reg season is an experiment lab even though us fans want to win every game. Players are gaining cinfidence and trust in their coach too. It worked out last year and we used a lot of role players in playoffs. Little known to everyone is Cupcake was so mentally weak he could not allow himself to beat the team he was going to.

Educate yourself about Billy before you just blame him for everything including KD leaving. That is bullshit and you know it.
    3 users like SoonerVikeThunder's post: freedombird, wheelihan, xunil

Billy has explained his philosophy.

If something isn't working or a guy isn't playing well, Billy wants to know WHY its not working or the guy isn't playing well.

And he will tinker with it to see if he can improve it by either playing a different way or playing the guy with different personell.

Singler is at the end of the rope. But he plays when A Mo and Abrines have a defensive matchup they can't handle. And like last night when Abrines got 3 fouls in the second quarter. Singler isn't a good defender but he at least has some athleticism and length and can provide some resistance, and who gives a shit if he gets in foul trouble.

I too would prefer to see Huestis instead of Singler, but Billy knows a hell of a lot more basketball than me and sees them both in practice.

I'd say we have a pretty good coach if our main complaint is over who the ninth or tenth guy is and how many minutes they get.

Sent from my XT1096 using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Strangers View Post
    Singler should never see the court. Id rather Huestis play over him. Playing Singler was colossally stupid on BD's part.
    Presti signed Singler to a 4 year contract making roughly 4.7mm per year based on the potential he showed at Detroit. Someone above already said it: it seemed Singler could fill the huge 3&D wing player hole we had. If you put truth serum in BD at this point I'm sure he'd say yeah I don't know wtf is wrong with that guy's head. The organization likely thought eventually he'd snap out of it and start playing like he practices. The reality is, when you have that much salary locked up in one guy you can't give up on him halfway through his first season. But the next season? They realize he's not an attractive trade piece at this point and he still plays like he's lost so his minutes are whacked. If you want to call BD colossally stupid, you have to lump Presti in that statement as well.
    2 users like Morningwood's post: freedombird, SoonerVikeThunder

Yeah, I don't blame Billy or Presti for KD leaving. I don't see how anyone could.

I mean it isn't their fault KD fell in love with Draymond.
    4 users like ChocoLab's post: freedombird, Malicong, Master Pandemonium, SoonerVikeThunder

Originally Posted by SG1 View Post
    I'd say we have a pretty good coach if our main complaint is over who the ninth or tenth guy is and how many minutes they get.

Yep, I agree and Billy unfortunately doesn't get enough praise for keeping the team together especially with all the chaos of this summer the effect it has had on this team.

Honestly I didn't really appreciate the coaching ability of Billy till that Spurs series in the playoffs last year and he just put it to Pop. Then in the Warriors series he was killing Kerr with things like using Roberson as the screener on the pick and roll which they just couldn't answer. It still amazes me the Warriors winning that series but alas...

Billy is certainly not perfect but I think we have a good one now unlike Brooks who was just stubborn to a fault as much as we liked Brooks as a person.
    4 users like OUMarty's post: AquariumDrinker, ChocoLab, freedombird, SoonerVikeThunder

I was a fan of Kerr before he went to the Warriors.

I was dubious of Presti hiring a college coach.

But I joined team Billy at the presser.

And when I saw Billy's long game come to fruition in the playoffs, and his willingness to make quick, decisive adjustments when they matter the most, I think Billy is easily an upper echelon coach in the league.

I now wouldn't trade Billy for Kerr, that's for sure.

3 users like SG1's post: Morningwood, nstinson, SoonerVikeThunder

I was a fan of Kerr before he went to the Warriors.

I was dubious of Presti hiring a college coach.

But I joined team Billy at the presser.

And when I saw Billy's long game come to fruition in the playoffs, and his willingness to make quick, decisive adjustments when they matter the most, I think Billy is easily an upper echelon coach in the league.

I now wouldn't trade Billy for Kerr, that's for sure.

I think Billy makes Billeibers out of all of us this Spring. This team and his coaching acumen are going to be a **** for a team or two.
    The following users like this post: SoonerVikeThunder

When he was hired, the gauge we were going to measure him by was keeping KD. He didn't do that. So then that wasn't his fault and how we gauged and judged changed completely. I'm critical of him, yes. You're not critical of anything. Being critical doesn't make one a fair weather fan--quitting a team when they aren't playing well does. Deep throating everything a coach does doesn't make one a real fan. It makes your opinion shit.
    I think KD's mind was made up when he had his injury year.

Fun fact:

Through 32 games last season the Thunder were 22 - 10.

Through 32 games this season the Thunder are 20 - 12.

The following users like this post: theend

Fun fact:

Even more interesting fact as I brought up earlier you take away the Nick Young "Walking across America" three pointer and then the Hawks loss where Russ was mauled numerous times even on the last shot and guess which team has the exact same record as a team from last year?

Yeah I know woulda, shoulda, coulda but interesting none the less.

Fun fact:

Impressive but I think its fair to say last year's team more or less dicked around for many regular season games. Billy D also experimenting didn't help OKC win many games in stretches.

Basically, its impressive on paper but seems a little shallow.

And if I recall, last year started off with a particularly brutal schedule, and this year has been pretty easy thus far.

Don't live in Wichita, but I am a Sooner.

Originally Posted by HeroOfTheDay View Post
    Impressive but I think its fair to say last year's team more or less dicked around for many regular season games. Billy D also experimenting didn't help OKC win many games in stretches.

Basically, its impressive on paper but seems a little shallow.
    Shallow? To me it's the opposite. Each and every win means so much more than they did last year. I'm enjoying this year more than last year by a factor of 10.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    You were judging Donovan by whether he was able to keep KD? Seems your opinion is shit.
    Go read the threads after he was hired. It wasn't me using that measure. Your analysis of my opinion would have more validity if it was based in knowledge rather than whatever crap falls out of your ass.

Is it just me or is Tim Bontemps a ****ing ****?

Before the season he predicted the Thunder wouldn't make the playoffs and even now thinks they're no better than the 7 seed.

He talks about the Thunder like they're a ****ing D League team.

http://content.newsok.com.s3.amazona...er_Buddies.mp3

Is it just me or is Tim Bontemps a ****ing ****?

Before the season he predicted the Thunder wouldn't make the playoffs and even now thinks they're no better than the 7 seed.

He talks about the Thunder like they're a ****ing D League team.

http://content.newsok.com.s3.amazona...er_Buddies.mp3

Who? I don't click on that link I gave them up 5 years ago. They turned into TMZ, or what TMZ used to be.

As for 7 seed thats possible but I put it at the bottom of our range. I think 5-6 is reasonable. Jan will be a huge month with so many away games.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Roberson's replacement had a triple double and the game winner for the Blue last night.

If Daniel Hamilton keeps playing like this it'll be easier to let Roberson walk this summer.

But can he hit free throws?

Originally Posted by silverwheels View Post
    But can he hit free throws?
    Not sure he could miss any more.
    The following users like this post: Section31

Thu/Sat games are huge for potential seeding. Play Memphis and Clippers both right around our record. Big games especially with Jan sched.

Interesting

Adam Joseph
    Adam Joseph – Verified account ‏@AdamJosephSport

The Oklahoma City Thunder now own the best clutch defense in the NBA (83.6), 8th offense (111.5) & 2nd overall in Net Rating (+27.8).
    5:15 PM - 28 Dec 2016 from Geelong, Victoria
    11 RETWEETS24 LIKES

Russ is killing me with these turnovers. Yikes. Cmon.

Russ gonna try for that quadruple double tonight.

Go read the threads after he was hired. It wasn't me using that measure. Your analysis of my opinion would have more validity if it was based in knowledge rather than whatever crap falls out of your ass.
    Ok, so your basis for judging whether Donovan was a good hire is from internet message board opinions on whether he was able to get Durant to resign?

That's just ****ing ignorant based on anybody's knowledge.

Last edited by xunil; December 30th, 2016 at 05:45 PM.

Originally Posted by xunil View Post
    Ok, so your basis for judging whether Donovan was a good hire is from internet message board opinions on whether he is able to get Durant to resign?

That's just ****ing ignorant based on anybody's knowledge.
    This has gotten convoluted and don't want to muddy up the game talk--I'll finish by saying that was the gauge many here used. When that didn't happen, they changed their gauge.

Billy's recruiting prowess was one of the reasons why we assumed he was hired.

But since then he proven to be a very good coach.

And as for not being able to retain cupcake time has shown that he had new members of his orbit whispering things in his ear who were out of Billy's reach.

Back to the game, **** this game in the goat ass.

The following users like this post: Morningwood

The Thunder shot sub 40%, allowed greater than 50% shooting and only had 3 assists.

Yikes

Thunder aren't getting any ****ing loose balls tonight.

Holy meltdown...

That's probably for the best, **** this game

Let's get wild Billy.

If you want to look at Abrines running point, here you go.

Guess it didn't matter that Memphis had lost two in a row going into this game.

Gasol is just dominating this game defensively.

Pull the starters? Game is getting away from them. Pull them and save them for the next one.

So, who's the backup point?

Abrines???

So, who's the backup point?

Abrines???

Look to be trying to find someone so they can move Payne.

Momma said there'd be days like this.

I guess Oladipo is hurt worst than we thought?? When is the leg amputation?

Somehow, someway this is Singler's fault.

Just give me a bit to figure out how.

The following users like this post: freedombird

I'd also have Roberson in the game running as many pick n rolls as possible as the ball handler.

He ran one earlier with Collison and it wasn't awful.

He missed the layup, but he did get to the rim and had a good look.

Have to just throw this game away. It happens.

Robes is a liability though.

Originally Posted by SoonerVikeThunder View Post
    Have to just throw this game away. It happens.

Robes is a liability though.

I like that Billy is continually trying new shit with him.

Brooks would have just parked him in the corner and "you are in the NBA, you have to make a shot if you are open." Like that would have done any ****ing good.

The Thunder were short handed and became even more short handed during the game, but I don't this it is much of a hot take to say that Memphis just might be worst matchup in the league for the Thunder.

The lack of shooting is well documented, but the Thunder against most can still play bully ball and pound it inside.

Ruh roh, against the Grizz the Thunder got bullied inside and the Grizz didn't even have to sell out and pack the paint. Gasol is a one man paint packer.

Thank the gods the Grizz won't be a playoff opponent.
    2 users like SG1's post: DirtyBob, soonervegas

Bad loss.

December 29, January 2 and now apparently January 7.

Cam keeps posting his return date but he hasn't been so accurate.

Maybe the third time is the charm?

The following users like this post: nstinson

In the eight consecutive seasons Oklahoma City has hosted a game on the final day of the year, the team has racked up a 7-1 record.

Vic is back tonight

2 users like SG1's post: chantundefeated, OUMarty