Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    If anything. Boren’s retirement increases the odds of OU staying in the Big 12.
    OK Baghdad 48. If you say so. lol Go West young man. I understand UT officials had an interesting visit in Los Angeles last week.

Originally Posted by ekeithly View Post
    How so... I think any kind of B1G move was going to be after Boren was no longer around. If everybody was thinking 2022, this changes nothing IMO. Might put more pressure to make the SEC, but if Boren is in control of this move then his successor will most likely carry out any plans put in place.
    Even if it's Harroz, he doesn't have the political capital that the SEC faction of the Regents do. He's still the new guy, even if he is Boren's handpicked replacement.

Boren was able to say "I've got the bona fides and connections to get a B1G move done, just give me time". His replacement, unless it's a slam-dunk pick who no one is talking about, won't be able to say the same thing - and the pro-SEC'ers will likely be able to block that choice.
    2 users like Val on the Getner's post: ekeithly, OU48A

Originally Posted by Val on the Getner View Post
    Even if it's Harroz, he doesn't have the political capital that the SEC faction of the Regents do. He's still the new guy, even if he is Boren's handpicked replacement.

Boren was able to say "I've got the bona fides and connections to get a B1G move done, just give me time". His replacement, unless it's a slam-dunk pick who no one is talking about, won't be able to say the same thing - and the pro-SEC'ers will likely be able to block that choice.
    Doesn’t that make staying in the Big 12 even more likely…?
    KREF is speculating that Joe C may take over as OU president for a limited time period with Kenny Mossman replacing him as AD.

KREF is speculating that Joe C may take over as OU president for a limited time period with Kenny Mossman replacing him as AD.
    IF state politics can block OU from moving to the SEC without Oklahoma State. After all, it was the same set of regents who blocked Boren from signing a GOR extension after he only got 1/3 of his demands, if rumors are true.

Might be a good time to start trolling the flight trackers again. This one seems interesting if the B1G is a player in your mind, given the timing.

I don't think it affects things long term, but I would certainly say any transition certainly puts the kabosh on anything happening for a year or two.

IF state politics can block OU from moving to the SEC without Oklahoma State. After all, it was the same set of regents who blocked Boren from signing a GOR extension after he only got 1/3 of his demands, if rumors are true.

Might be a good time to start trolling the flight trackers again. This one seems interesting if the B1G is a player in your mind, given the timing.
    I'm not sure the Board of Regents ever, really drive the bus. At best they are back seat drivers. The pro-SEC folks on the BOR's might have more of the ear for the next guy, which may make the SEC a higher percentage option, but I'm think the market and the other conferences will have the biggest say in what ends up happening.

As OU48A, points out in many ways this might make staying in the Big 12 more likely (it's the devil we know after all). I think it puts an end to any move in the next couple of years, which I thought was already highly improbable already. We are looking at the end of the GOR's and all the TV contracts with the various conferences that will expire roughly the same time frame.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    I'm not sure the Board of Regents ever, really drive the bus. At best they are back seat drivers. The pro-SEC folks on the BOR's might have more of the ear for the next guy, which may make the SEC a higher percentage option, but I'm think the market and the other conferences will have the biggest say in what ends up happening.

As OU48A, points out in many ways this might make staying in the Big 12 more likely (it's the devil we know after all). I think it puts an end to any move in the next couple of years, which I thought was already highly improbable already. We are looking at the end of the GOR's and all the TV contracts with the various conferences that will expire roughly the same time frame.
    Certainly you're correct in the Boren era. It might not be the case for his successor, though.

Anyway, think it's time for a new thread, if the 2pm announcement is what we think it will be.

Something bothering me here.
    Boren said: "Please join me at 2:00 p.m. today at Holmberg Hall. I will be making an important announcement about the future of the university. -DBo"
    His press secretary said the reports of Boren retiring were "inaccurate".

It would seem a bit presumptuous for Boren to link his retirement to the future of the university.

This announcement could be something entirely different than his retirement.
    Boren has stated he wants to serve as long as George Cross.
    Doesn't he need another couple of years to do that?

Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    Boren said: "Please join me at 2:00 p.m. today at Holmberg Hall. I will be making an important announcement about the future of the university. -DBo"

It would seem a bit presumptuous for Boren to link his retirement to the future of the university.

Yes, Cross served 24 years. Boren took over the OU job Dec 1st 1994. To pass Cross he would have to go into 2019, which is 2 years. You'd assume a notice of some kind from Boren, but 2 years is a bit much.

I'm hoping Boren announces we have joined the AAU and are also leaving the Big 12 for the Big Ten. (one can dream)
    3 users like Redhawk's post: ekeithly, OU48A, ThreeHatBilly

Exactly. It doesn't sound like a retirement announcement.

Parse the words carefully.

"Reports of his stepping down tomorrow are inaccurate" does not mean that he will not be announcing his retirement at some point in the future, either end of fall semester or '17-'18 academic year. It simply means that he will not be announcing his retirement, effective immediately, today.

Doubtful....the future of the university is directly tied to the serving president. The future depicted in the statement is most likely an announcement of the next president and path leading to his retirement. A new era begins at OU once DBo steps down.

Certainly you're correct in the Boren era. It might not be the case for his successor, though.

Anyway, think it's time for a new thread, if the 2pm announcement is what we think it will be.
    fair point. it will be interesting to see how the dynamic of the BOR's with the OU President changes with the next guy. Powerful people like to be in charge, and for many years, Boren was unquestionably in charge and the BOR's acquiesced to Boren's leadership. They (the BORs) might think they need to lead the new guy a bit more.
    The following users like this post: Val on the Getner

That does seem a bit arrogant for someone to say their retirement is so important to the future of the university, unless he's announcing his replacement.

Is there stadium expansion news due, or a big donation?

Yes, Cross served 24 years. Boren took over the OU job Dec 1st 1994. To pass Cross he would have to go into 2019, which is 2 years. You'd assume a notice of some kind from Boren, but 2 years is a bit much.

I'm hoping Boren announces we have joined the AAU and are also leaving the Big 12 for the Big Ten. (one can dream)
    There are reports of a new mixed use (retail/residential) development near the old airport (Max Westheimer). Some speculation that it might also house a venue for OU basketball. Doubt that rises to this level but it's possible.

BTW, I'd be happy with your speculation. (I'm fascinated when heads explode.)

We have until 2... until then I going dream that the flight from Chicago is Delany to offer by hand an invitation to the Big 10 and DBo retirement was a smoke screen to keep it from leaking. Then my dreams will be crushed.
    4 users like ekeithly's post: Big8Fan, OU48A, Redhawk, Val on the Getner

Parse the words carefully.

"Reports of his stepping down tomorrow are inaccurate" does not mean that he will not be announcing his retirement at some point in the future, either end of fall semester or '17-'18 academic year. It simply means that he will not be announcing his retirement, effective immediately, today.
    I've been an expert in parsing the words of official statements since I learned the meaning of "Is" so I'll admit that is a possibility.
    I also can see where Boren's announcement might not concern his retirement at all but be something far greater. That would also be consistent with the statement by the press secretary.
    The following users like this post: Cornfield Spartan

I've been an expert in parsing the words of official statements since I learned the meaning of "Is" so I'll admit that is a possibility.
    I also can see where Boren's announcement might not concern his retirement at all but be something far greater. That would also be consistent with the statement by the press secretary.
    Sure, but where there’s smoke, there’s fire.

If anything. Boren’s retirement increases the odds of OU staying in the Big 12.
    I'm hearing, from a really good source, that this opens up the Pac 12 option again. And it might be the most likely option. When I asked if the SEC opened up, he laughed.

If he's not announcing his retirement today, it's coming very soon.
    The following users like this post: ekeithly

We have until 2... until then I going dream that the flight from Chicago is Delany to offer by hand an invitation to the Big 10 and DBo retirement was a smoke screen to keep it from leaking. Then my dreams will be crushed.
    LOL You’re killing me LOL

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    I'm hearing, from a really good source, that this opens up the Pac 12 option again. And it might be the most likely option. When I asked if the SEC opened up, he laughed.
    That would suck IMHO

The president stepping down and announcing plans for his replacement would be a pretty important thing for the future of the university.

Sure, but where there’s smoke, there’s fire.
    So what will we name the new thread.
    I'm still partial to "Whistling Past the Graveyard."
    Of course if Boren is announcing his retirement, we might choose "Flowers on the Wall."
    Then if it is a new conference, we could go with "Careful What You Ask For.", "Exploding Heads.", or, maybe "Free At Last, Free At Last."
    2 users like RocketCitySooner's post: kopp0e, OU48A

Not a huge fan of moving to the Big 10 as currently configured. Before they added Maryland and Rutgers it would have been more attractive.

If rumors of his retirement came out yesterday, and he calls a press conference for today, I'd be quite surprised if the press conference didn't involve his retirement (likely effective at the end of the school year or something).

Of course if Boren is announcing his retirement, we might choose "Flowers on the Wall."
    Then if it is a new conference, we could go with "Careful What You Ask For.", "Exploding Heads.", or, maybe "Free At Last, Free At Last."
    A Whole New World

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    Not a huge fan of moving to the Big 10 as currently configured. Before they added Maryland and Rutgers it would have been more attractive.

If rumors of his retirement came out yesterday, and he calls a press conference for today, I'd be quite surprised if the press conference didn't involve his retirement (likely effective at the end of the school year or something).
    Those that heard there would be a press conference to address the future of the university might just have assumed it was retirement. IOW, rumors of a press conference may have preceded retirement speculation.

Kick Baylor out, Texoma 4 to PAC, WVU to ACC, KU and ISU to B1G - gets the job done most easily, you'd have to think. Sucks for KSU and TCU, though.

A Whole New World
    I'll support that. "A Whole New World" works for Boren's retirement or any other big announcement.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post

It was a joke...

If we leave osu and the other Big 12 little brothers behind its no doubt "Free At Last, Free At Last."

I have been singing “We shall overcome”….. “Someday” for way too long

That is not good. I would rather us go to the B1G over the PAC.

Kick Baylor out, Texoma 4 to PAC, WVU to ACC, KU and ISU to B1G - gets the job done most easily, you'd have to think. Sucks for KSU and TCU, though.
    I'm hearing KU is involved. That makes it a bit more difficult, though, so I don't think there's any way anything is close at this point. Seems like OU and Texas likely want different things again.....
    The following users like this post: kopp0e

Originally Posted by MrQster View Post
    That is not good. I would rather us go to the B1G over the PAC.
    So would I.

I'm hearing KU is involved. That makes it a bit more difficult, though, so I don't think there's any way anything is close at this point. Seems like OU and Texas likely want different things again.....
    The BMD Citation jet to and from Chicago real quick becomes curiouser and curiouser...
    2 users like Val on the Getner's post: IndySooner, OU48A

The BMD Citation jet to and from Chicago real quick becomes curiouser and curiouser...
    It could be a wife of a BMD who needed to pick up a new dress or some such. This is not an unusual type of event among certain very wealthy people.

What if...

PAC:
    Kansas #13
    Oklahoma #14
    Texas #15
    Texas Tech #16

B1G:
    Missouri #15
    Connecticut #16

SEC:
    Oklahoma State #14
    TCU #15
    West Virginia #16

ACC:
    Notre Dame (full member) #15
    Navy (football) / Georgetown (olympics) #16

It could be a wife of a BMD who needed to pick up a new dress or some such. This is not an unusual type of event among certain very wealthy people.
    Sure - explains the Dallas trip last week - but why go to ORD when Midway is the preferred option for private jets if you're headed to the Loop? On the other hand, B1G headquarters are literally next to O'Hare.

Note - I'm not saying any sort of agreement was made. If anything, it might just have been Boren doing professional courtesy and personally announcing to Delany and crew that he would be retiring. It's still fascinating, though.

People! It is not Tuesday, therefore it cannot be CR related, Sheesh.
    3 users like NM Jayhawk's post: bullet, notre dame joe, tenaciOUs b

PAC 12 South

OU
    UT
    USC
    UCLA
    Colorado
    AZ
    ASU

OU and UT playing USC every year would be a Primetime hit. Playing a game in LA every year would be an asset for LR's recruiting. Every other year OU fans would be guaranteed one Primetime game in Norman.

Originally Posted by Jett View Post
    PAC 12 South

OU
    UT
    USC
    UCLA
    Colorado
    AZ
    ASU

OU and UT playing USC every year would be a Primetime hit. Playing a game in LA every year would be an asset for LR's recruiting. Every other year OU fans would be guaranteed one Primetime game in Norman.
    A championship game rotation that includes the new stadium in Vegas would be glorious.
    2 users like SplitTD's post: Jett, kopp0e

Originally Posted by kopp0e View Post
    What if...

PAC:
    Kansas #13
    Oklahoma #14
    Texas #15
    Texas Tech #16

B1G:
    Missouri #15
    Connecticut #16

SEC:
    Oklahoma State #14
    TCU #15
    West Virginia #16

ACC:
    Notre Dame (full member) #15
    Navy (football) / Georgetown (olympics) #16
    Really, really need a "DON'T LIKE" button.
    The following users like this post: mmc22

Two options here if the PAC is now a serious leader in gaining both OU & UT...

#1) PAC adds 4 in:
    KU / OU / UT / TT

#2) PAC adds 6 in:
    KU / OU / OSU / UT / TT / TCU
    or
    ISU / KU / OU / OSU / UT / TT
    or
    KU / KSU / OU / OSU / UT / TT
    or
    OU / OSU / UT / TT / TCU / Rice
    or
    KU / OU / OSU / UT / TT / Tulane

The 6 member setup gives various options as it allows the PAC to keep it's current north & south divisions while adding 6 members to the CTZ, thus allowing OU & UT their old regional rivals...

Originally Posted by NM Jayhawk View Post
    People! It is not Tuesday, therefore it cannot be CR related, Sheesh.
    But it got leaked on a Tuesday... Am I right..?

Hint. Track Jerry's jet.

Originally Posted by kopp0e View Post
    Two options here if the PAC is now a serious leader in gaining both OU & UT...

#1) PAC adds 4 in:
    KU / OU / UT / TT

#2) PAC adds 6 in:
    KU / OU / OSU / UT / TT / TCU
    or
    ISU / KU / OU / OSU / UT / TT
    or
    KU / KSU / OU / OSU / UT / TT
    or
    OU / OSU / UT / TT / TCU / Rice
    or
    KU / OU / OSU / UT / TT / Tulane

The 6 member setup gives various options as it allows the PAC to keep it's current north & south divisions while adding 6 members to the CTZ, thus allowing OU & UT their old regional rivals...
    Oh, I get it now. Boren's big announcement is that California has removed the travel ban.