CR Part XIII: Stranger Things

Posted 308 day(s) ago by tydude845544 Views 12246 Replies
Results 12,201 to 12,247 of 12247
Page 245 of 245 145 195 235 243 244 245
    Originally Posted by ClosetSoonerFan View Post
    Disagree with posters above. If any team in the Big 12 actually won a NC, it would change the entire conversation. We get very respectable money, have great tradition, lots of fans. Just. Win. Baby.
    #4 in the 2014 preseason poll

Originally Posted by ekeithly View Post
    This kinda of crap has been going around a while if only people would open thier eyes to it.

The Big 12 is always the last conference discussed. Relegated to the bottom of highlight reels, skimmed over in pre-season shows, and slandered in comments. This is not new to anyone paying attention.
    And it has been that way since the Big 12 signed that first deal with Fox, long before Nebraska left.

Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    Irrelevance will be the catalyst. People can talk about everything else, like the conference money, while that money is pretty much fine as is...it's about relevance.

Relevance affects the product on the football field even when you have good coaching. Even when you're the tallest irrelevant midget.

Said it many times before, I'll say it again. Football season only increases Big 12 angst.

That dipshit CCG ominously looms out there on the horizon...watch out.
    4 users like Hamilton's post: notre dame joe, OKSooner, OU48A, OU812

Originally Posted by notre dame joe View Post
    #4 in the 2014 preseason poll
    Who was #4 in a preseason poll 3 years ago and why does it matter?
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
    And it has been that way since the Big 12 signed that first deal with Fox, long before Nebraska left.
    Nah. It is when the Big 12 started to slip actually. When OU and UT were ruling with an iron fist ESPN couldn't stop sucking the collective dick of the big 12
    The following users like this post: notre dame joe

Originally Posted by bullet View Post
    That's probably true to some degree but we can't escape FOX. Not just in bed with FOX but aligned with hamster wheel FS1. Good broadcasts... largely irrelevant.

ESPN is going all in on ACC and B1G/SEC, whatever they can get. We might get some table scraps from Mickey Mouse but the point is, it's either FOX or NBC in large (T1). I thought NBCs telecast of OU-ND 4 years ago was excellent. I'm all for it. But that's gonna bring less relevance than FOX who has at least been branding themselves for years now.

No good solutions.

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    That's probably true to some degree but we can't escape FOX. Not just in bed with FOX but aligned with hamster wheel FS1. Good broadcasts... largely irrelevant.

ESPN is going all in on ACC and B1G/SEC, whatever they can get. We might get some table scraps from Mickey Mouse but the point is, it's either FOX or NBC in large (T1). I thought NBCs telecast of OU-ND 4 years ago was excellent. I'm all for it. But that's gonna bring less relevance than FOX who has at least been branding themselves for years now.

No good solutions.
    There are at least two very good solutions. We can join the B1G or the SEC.
    4 users like RocketCitySooner's post: OU48A, Ruf Nek, tenaciOUs b, Transic

Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    What's your solution if they don't add us?

What's your solution if they don't add us?
    Texas and Oklahoma can still write their own tickets even with the B1G at 51 and the SEC at 45 million in 2018. It' just getting really tight on #2.

Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
    Sankey playing hardball in his never-ending desire to get UNC into the SEC. I would have preferred a box of chocolates if it was all the same.
    IIRC, Sankey is just overseeing the investigation, I think you will discover that he will side with UNC. Sankey seems to be fair much like Slive was.

Join that conference up North to get away from FOX. Did I read that right?

The B1G teams, as cars. http://www.cjponyparts.com/resources...teams-vehicles

Anyone want to do one for the BigXII? (graphics not required)

Originally Posted by hiphopfroggy View Post

Yep borged just like Pedo, cornhusker or any other unwitting prey to fall victim to their siren songs.
    So you're getting out in front of this and putting the B1G on notice that your alma-mater wouldn't accept a B1G invite. Good to know.

Did anyone discuss such a conference straddling arrangement? I can't imagine the ROSE BOWL teams would go for it.
    I did say "conditional" access to the Rose Bowl. Say the qualifying B1G or PAC program wasn't in the top 15 of the AP and ND was in the top 15 and hadn't been to Pasadena in five years. Something like that. That's water under the bridge, but unfortunately it was never discussed.

The best case scenario now, IMHO, is if enough of the old Big8 teams plus UT constitute a 9 or 10 team B1G-west while the schools from Maryland to Northwestern make up the B1G-east. Get enough cross conference play so Delaney can put on a top hat and show off the Sooners & UT to the east coast markets every decade or so (you know, kind of like when they brought King Kong to NYC). It's not perfect, but it'll make bank and keep the conference divisions somewhat regional.

Originally Posted by UseemMisinformed View Post
    I did say "conditional" access to the Rose Bowl. Say the qualifying B1G or PAC program wasn't in the top 15 of the AP and ND was in the top 15 and hadn't been to Pasadena in five years. Something like that. That's water under the bridge, but unfortunately it was never discussed.

The best case scenario now, IMHO, is if enough of the old Big8 teams plus UT constitute a 9 or 10 team B1G-west while the schools from Maryland to Northwestern make up the B1G-east. Get enough cross conference play so Delaney can put on a top hat and show off the Sooners & UT to the east coast markets every decade or so (you know, kind of like when they brought King Kong to NYC). It's not perfect, but it'll make bank and keep the conference divisions somewhat regional.
    The problem is that what you propose is also the SEC's "best case". If the B1G got Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas you would still need one more school to get to 18. Are you then going to accept Iowa State, Kansas State or Oklahoma State?
    In the SEC version courtesy of JR, the SEC would be willing to accept Oklahoma State to round out to 18.

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech or Kansas

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Miss State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt

Originally Posted by XLance View Post
    The problem is that what you propose is also the SEC's "best case". If the B1G got Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas you would still need one more school to get to 18. Are you then going to accept Iowa State, Kansas State or Oklahoma State?
    In the SEC version courtesy of JR, the SEC would be willing to accept Oklahoma State to round out to 18.

Arkansas, Louisiana State, Mississippi, Missouri, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Tech or Kansas

Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Miss State, South Carolina, Tennessee, Vanderbilt
    If the SEC got UT, OU, and KU and needed one more for 18 I think they would take WVU. That said UT is not going to the SEC.
    The following users like this post: UseemMisinformed

If the B1G is taking UT, OU and KU (of which, I think the possibility is nil), then I think they simply put up whatever money is necessary to free UVA. Tarheel arrogance (my god it's almost whorn-like) thinks UVA will never, ever leave the plantation because Tarheel likes the plantation just the way it is, but they'll leave.

The B1G East doesn't need another football blueblood, and they'd need to add another academic (and media market/recruiting area) school to balance OU and KU. ACC backfills with WVU (maybe UCONN). The B12 backfills with assorted G5 detritus.

The rust belt may have much in common with former big8 schools but has nothing to offer anyone in Texas. UT to the B1G is a pipe dream the likes of ND to the Big12.

I've always maintained that Texas is not going to the B1G for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that I think the B1G views Texas as more of a cancer than they're worth. To that, you can add the LHN and the whorn arrogance that will push them into giving independence or SWC 2.0 a try.

That being said, it's hilarious to watch the slaves dwelling on UT's plantation eagerly defending Massah because they're scared of what might happen if he leaves. Or to use another metaphor, guess who's TCU and who's UT in this video.

3 users like Vic Ferrari's post: Hamilton, RocketCitySooner, UseemMisinformed

The rust belt may have much in common with former big8 schools but has nothing to offer anyone in Texas. UT to the B1G is a pipe dream the likes of ND to the Big12.
    They could offer Texans some humility.

It would be rejected, but they could offer it.
    2 users like Hamilton's post: notre dame joe, UseemMisinformed

Not if they're the tOSU fans I know!

It would be rejected, but they could offer it.
    I think the odds are better than even that OU goes to the B1G or SEC and brings along either KU or OSU....and expansion's done for both conferences regardless of who gets the final rose. I just don't see UT going to the SEC and the odds are not great they go to the B1G either. Some in B1Gopolis are fine with UT not joining the B1G for reasons already discussed -- not me, but "some". I think ESPN will underwrite a SWC 2.0 and allow UT to have an ND/ACC type deal if they sign-off on the morphing of the LHN to SWCN.

I actually like Iowa St. to the B1G. I know the B1G offices in Chicago/NYC would fire anyone for even whispering ISU to the B1G as being a possibility, but 50 years ago they would have been seen as a solid add. Plus I like how they seem to be able to beat Iowa now and then. I've got nothing personal against the Hawkeyes, but they are the Achilles-heel of Michigan every time we get a decent season going and then they don't proceed to keep winning after that.

Originally Posted by Vic Ferrari View Post
    If the B1G is taking UT, OU and KU (of which, I think the possibility is nil), then I think they simply put up whatever money is necessary to free UVA. Tarheel arrogance (my god it's almost whorn-like) thinks UVA will never, ever leave the plantation because Tarheel likes the plantation just the way it is, but they'll leave.

The B1G East doesn't need another football blueblood, and they'd need to add another academic (and media market/recruiting area) school to balance OU and KU. ACC backfills with WVU (maybe UCONN). The B12 backfills with assorted G5 detritus.
    Virginia could leave (who really knows), but it would be odd. They basically sit at the top of the pecking order in the ACC and all their natural rivals are there. Leaving power and friends for shekels might be the most un-Virginia thing I could imagine.

Though along those lines, are VPI and UVa set up with the same board of governors? I want to say no, but I honestly don't know.

Originally Posted by UseemMisinformed View Post
    I think the odds are better than even that OU goes to the B1G or SEC and brings along either KU or OSU....and expansion's done for both conferences regardless of who gets the final rose. I just don't see UT going to the SEC and the odds are not great they go to the B1G either. Some in B1Gopolis are fine with UT not joining the B1G for reasons already discussed -- not me, but "some". I think ESPN will underwrite a SWC 2.0 and allow UT to have an ND/ACC type deal if they sign-off on the morphing of the LHN to SWCN.
    One must consider where Texas could be placed that would earn ESPN the most most money, after all they have the most invested. That is why I have never believed that Texas would head to the Big 10. And if you try to think like ESPN might, then you have these two options (one of which has variables). Texas doesn't want to be a partial member as they don't want to fool with placing minor sports.

Option #1 therefore becomes create a division of Friends Of Texas in either the SEC, or PAC (if ESPN gains leverage there). It isn't the most profitable ESPN move however. It requires higher payouts for a few schools they might not feel compelled to pay for and it limits the Texas schedule to at least 2/3rds being against a particular conference including some less than stellar games ESPN has paid for in past years (the FOT's).

Option #2 is much more likely to be profitable for ESPN. How do you prop up or add to the values of three of your contracted conferences with 1 property? Texas does join the ACC as a partial football member only. They play 5 games against ACC opponents. Paired with N.D.'s agreement that takes two of the top major national brands and elevates the games against ACC competition 2 x 5 for content value. Suddenly a football depth deficit in the ACC is compensated with 10 games involving either Notre Dame or Texas. Meanwhile Texas parks their minor sports in the AAC where they have Houston and S.M.U. and likely where Baylor would be joining them perhaps even with Kansas State. By playing in the Southern Division of an expanded AAC Texas minor sports keep a more Texas centric and regional feel. ESPN gets a big elevation of AAC content value for hoops and baseball. If Texas agrees to schedule 2 AAC games a year they prop up that value as well. Finally Texas agrees to play the Aggies again and to keep the RRR. Now Texas has 9 games of their annual schedule set. The added names like Clemson, F.S.U., Georgia Tech, Va Tech and UNC rotating through helps home ticket sales while they potentially keep 3 Texas schools on their schedule (Houston, S.M.U., & A&M). If OU winds up in the SEC then the RRR totally belongs to ESPN. If they wind up in the Big 10 then ESPN gets it every other year. The UT/A&M game becomes an ESPN property.

So what Gus is saying here is that ESPN has every motivation to see UT go the Indy route and would only try to steer them to full membership in an ESPN conference if Texas insisted on full membership somewhere to keep their whole sports program within a single unit.

If the cost of getting extra content for the SEC and owning the RRR outright is OSU then I have to think that even though the numbers aren't there for OSU on its own steam that ESPN might make it happen.

So I concur that I expect to see OU in a new conference home and that as you stated that could either be the B1G with Kansas or the SEC with OSU. I don't think that ESPN is going to relinquish control of Bevo's leash anytime soon.

Oh, and I might add that if UT joined the ACC as a partial for 5 football games, and packed their minor sports off to an enhanced Southern division of the AAC, then there is no reason they would have to give up the danged LHN.

Originally Posted by JRsec* View Post
    One must consider where Texas could be placed that would earn ESPN the most most money, after all they have the most invested. That is why I have never believed that Texas would head to the Big 10. And if you try to think like ESPN might, then you have these two options (one of which has variables). Texas doesn't want to be a partial member as they don't want to fool with placing minor sports.

Option #1 therefore becomes create a division of Friends Of Texas in either the SEC, or PAC (if ESPN gains leverage there). It isn't the most profitable ESPN move however. It requires higher payouts for a few schools they might not feel compelled to pay for and it limits the Texas schedule to at least 2/3rds being against a particular conference including some less than stellar games ESPN has paid for in past years (the FOT's).

Option #2 is much more likely to be profitable for ESPN. How do you prop up or add to the values of three of your contracted conferences with 1 property? Texas does join the ACC as a partial football member only. They play 5 games against ACC opponents. Paired with N.D.'s agreement that takes two of the top major national brands and elevates the games against ACC competition 2 x 5 for content value. Suddenly a football depth deficit in the ACC is compensated with 10 games involving either Notre Dame or Texas. Meanwhile Texas parks their minor sports in the AAC where they have Houston and S.M.U. and likely where Baylor would be joining them perhaps even with Kansas State. By playing in the Southern Division of an expanded AAC Texas minor sports keep a more Texas centric and regional feel. ESPN gets a big elevation of AAC content value for hoops and baseball. If Texas agrees to schedule 2 AAC games a year they prop up that value as well. Finally Texas agrees to play the Aggies again and to keep the RRR. Now Texas has 9 games of their annual schedule set. The added names like Clemson, F.S.U., Georgia Tech, Va Tech and UNC rotating through helps home ticket sales while they potentially keep 3 Texas schools on their schedule (Houston, S.M.U., & A&M). If OU winds up in the SEC then the RRR totally belongs to ESPN. If they wind up in the Big 10 then ESPN gets it every other year. The UT/A&M game becomes an ESPN property.

So what Gus is saying here is that ESPN has every motivation to see UT go the Indy route and would only try to steer them to full membership in an ESPN conference if Texas insisted on full membership somewhere to keep their whole sports program within a single unit.

If the cost of getting extra content for the SEC and owning the RRR outright is OSU then I have to think that even though the numbers aren't there for OSU on its own steam that ESPN might make it happen.

So I concur that I expect to see OU in a new conference home and that as you stated that could either be the B1G with Kansas or the SEC with OSU. I don't think that ESPN is going to relinquish control of Bevo's leash anytime soon.

Oh, and I might add that if UT joined the ACC as a partial for 5 football games, and packed their minor sports off to an enhanced Southern division of the AAC, then there is no reason they would have to give up the danged LHN.
    What about a third option, SWC 2.0 built around the remnants of the Big Xii (less OU/KU) with the LHN as the conference network?
    The following users like this post: Ruf Nek

What about a third option, SWC 2.0 built around the remnants of the Big Xii (less OU/KU) with the LHN as the conference network?
    It could work, but any product reconstituting itself out of the Big 12 might be subject to having split rights with FOX. ESPN controls the AAC. So if ESPN sanctioned and controlled a rebuilt SWC.2 the risks to them would be that some of the product for that new conference would have to come out of the AAC and that would be destabilizing to product that ESPN holds in a stronger demographic. I wouldn't rule out the rebuilt SWC theory, but I think there are a few impediments.

The SEC reforms as:
    West: Arkansas, LSU, Bama, Auburn, Miss, Miss St, FSU, Miami
    East: Pitt, WVU, VT, NC State, Clemson, S Carolina, TN, Kentucky.

The Midmajors are:
    ACC: UCONN, BC, Cuse, Wake, ECU, Navy, UCF, USF
    BigXII: Houston, TCU, Baylor, OKSU, KSU, Kansas, ISU, TTU.
    PAC: WSU, OSU, Boise, BYU, CSU, SDSU, UNM, UNLV.

The CFP typically includes the SEC champ and the 3 B1G champs with an outside but realistic chance of a midmajor making it.

B1G Divisions and scheduling (number in grid indicates number of meetings in an 8 year cycle).

It could work, but any product reconstituting itself out of the Big 12 might be subject to having split rights with FOX. ESPN controls the AAC. So if ESPN sanctioned and controlled a rebuilt SWC.2 the risks to them would be that some of the product for that new conference would have to come out of the AAC and that would be destabilizing to product that ESPN holds in a stronger demographic. I wouldn't rule out the rebuilt SWC theory, but I think there are a few impediments.
    It's difficult to 'buy' Texas. Money probably means less than prestige. Their ego might rebuild the SWC.

What about answering the question I posted to you upthread? I'd like to hear your preference if the B1G/SEC chooses not to add anyone.

It's difficult to 'buy' Texas. Money probably means less than prestige. Their ego might rebuild the SWC.
    They don't have to buy them. Like many of your posters here, most Texas folks, including their A.D., knows that FOX doesn't get them the exposure they desire. They want to be on ESPN and get that Mouse Affection.

Originally Posted by Luku View Post
    OU doesn't get to play USC but Nebraska does?

UT doesn't get to play Stanford but Nebraska does?

But we both play Iowa for some reason?

You a Nebraska fan or something? Go back to the drawing board.

Originally Posted by Vic Ferrari View Post

UVa isn't leaving the ACC. They love where they are right now. Besides, I don't want a certain arrogant fan of theirs running down the Big Ten from the inside than from the outside.

Down for the Pac-16. Hope we move before 2024. OU should be in prime position in a Pac-16 East.

No good solutions.
    Is Mich A. vs anOSU relevant because it's on FOX?

Are you old enough to remember the dismay caused by the NFL on FOX? (there was a good SNL sketch on this that doesn't appear to be youtubable)

How about when nobody had heard of ESPN?

There's a lot of horse&cart here that just doesn't carry water. Great exposure of SECSPEEEEEEEEED did not keep their east afloat, and last year even their west went adrift.

Half of Michigan went to Texas after the 70's oil embargo. All them now retired folk like to see them Big Ten teams in Texas once in a while.

Case in point... I hear there's a big stadium in Arlington that Michigan will have played in a couple times now.

Nothing to offer?

p.s.

If still not convinced, good luck with the Buckeyes in Arlington next year (I think they're from the Rust Belt too). They will have you outnumbered in your backyard.

They don't have to buy them. Like many of your posters here, most Texas folks, including their A.D., knows that FOX doesn't get them the exposure they desire. They want to be on ESPN and get that Mouse Affection.
    They had ESPN furnish them a network for that purpose. With that problem solved, why not extort Fox as well?

Is Mich A. vs anOSU relevant because it's on FOX?

Are you old enough to remember the dismay caused by the NFL on FOX? (there was a good SNL sketch on this that doesn't appear to be youtubable)

How about when nobody had heard of ESPN?

There's a lot of horse&cart here that just doesn't carry water. Great exposure of SECSPEEEEEEEEED did not keep their east afloat, and last year even their west went adrift.
    Stop drunk posting Joe.

What about answering the question I posted to you upthread? I'd like to hear your preference if the B1G/SEC chooses not to add anyone.
    If no one offers us a spot then we'll stay where we are.

Originally Posted by Sea Blue View Post
    Half of Michigan went to Texas after the 70's oil embargo. All them now retired folk like to see them Big Ten teams in Texas once in a while.

Case in point... I hear there's a big stadium in Arlington that Michigan will have played in a couple times now.
    I have met dozens of people from places like Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota and Iowa who moved to Oklahoma mostly in the 70’s or early 80’s for economic reasons. They said they didn’t have a very favorable impression of Oklahoma before moving here but most of them ended up loving it here so much they retired here…None that I know of ever moved back. Most of these people either worked in the energy sector or for GM.
    If OU in a western pod / division of the B1G this can gradually improve our state's image in a location where people are often looking for better economic opportunities with far less ice & snow in the winters by comparison, but still within a day’s drive back home.
    2 users like OU48A's post: RocketCitySooner, Ruf Nek

I'm pretty sure after 50 years of fleeing, Michiganders know all the best roads to get out of Dodge.

Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
    I'm pretty sure after 50 years of fleeing, Michiganders know all the best roads to get out of Dodge.
    They may have been leaving in a Dodge, but it's Pontiac and Detroit they were fleeing.

If no one offers us a spot then we'll stay where we are.
    So you prefer the Big 12 over everything but the SEC/B1G. Got it.

OU doesn't get to play USC but Nebraska does?

UT doesn't get to play Stanford but Nebraska does?

But we both play Iowa for some reason?

You a Nebraska fan or something? Go back to the drawing board.
    I can't believe someone actually read the table. Nebraska has the better schedule because they're already in the B1G, and the B1G is calling the shots.... and because I got bored while I was trying to get the Northwestern, Duke, Vanderbilt, Stanford rotation. It's not a real schedule; just an example of how the megaconferences wouldn't have every school playing the same rotation as their division mates.

So you prefer the Big 12 over everything but the SEC/B1G. Got it.
    There aren't any other options.