Podcasts worth listening to?

Posted 191 day(s) ago 1401 Views 34 Replies

Podcasts worth listening to?

I just figured out how to listen to podcasts.
    Anybody got any worth tuning into? Nothing political because I don't want to start a war. I subscribed to "Serial" and started season 2 which is about the Bowe Bergdahl situation.
    Anybody got any they listen to?

All your base are belong to us

If you are into history there are some good history podcasts to subscribe to.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. These are really long and detailed, but his story telling style keeps you interested.

Stuff you Missed in History Class. These are short and sweet. They usually take only 10 to 15 minutes, and there are tons of them dating back 5 years or so.

I have been listening to the 538 podcasts during the run-up to the election, but that is all over now.

And I listen to the Bald Move Westworld podcast because they rehash every Westworld episode ad nauseum.

Most of the time I listen while working out, doing yard work, or driving long distance.

Sorry I don't have links. You can search for them in the iTunes store if you have an iTunes account. They're all free.
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: DirtyBob, oorah_okie

Sounds interesting to me. What client software do you use to listen? I'm guessing they're some kind of audio file?

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    And I listen to the Bald Move Westworld podcast because they rehash every Westworld episode ad nauseum.
    Good to hear. I've kinda checked out on Westworld until it's over then I'll binge watch it.

2nd endorsement for the Bald Move Network. They're two guys who quit their jobs to podcast full-time and they primarily live off of listener generosity. I listen to their podcast for a number of shows, including GoT, TWD, Fargo, Mr Robot, etc.

For OU Football, the SoonerScoop podcast and Blatant Homerism.

For College Football, The Audible with Stewart Mandel & Bruce Feldman.

I strongly endorse Outkick The Coverage with Clay Travis. You'll thank me later.
    The following users like this post: DirtyBob

Originally Posted by StroudSooner View Post
    Sounds interesting to me. What client software do you use to listen? I'm guessing they're some kind of audio file?
    MP3

I use iTunes. I have an iPod Nano 8th Gen with a belt clip so I can listen while running or working out. iTunes works with iPhones too if you have one, but I prefer the smaller size of the iPod.

But you don't have to have an Apple device, any device that can store MP3 files will work.

All of the podcast sites allow you to download directly to your device rather than having to use iTunes.

Good example: www.podcastone.com
    The following users like this post: StroudSooner

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Good to hear. I've kinda checked out on Westworld until it's over then I'll binge watch it.

2nd endorsement for the Bald Move Network. They're two guys who quit their jobs to podcast full-time and they primarily live off of listener generosity. I listen to their podcast for a number of shows, including GoT, TWD, Fargo, Mr Robot, etc.

For OU Football, the SoonerScoop podcast and Blatant Homerism.

For College Football, The Audible with Stewart Mandel & Bruce Feldman.

I strongly endorse Outkick The Coverage with Clay Travis. You'll thank me later.
    Bald Move is in financial trouble. Amazon dropped them for some reason, which has cut off a third of their revenue stream. They're asking for donations now.

Bald Move is in financial trouble. Amazon dropped them for some reason, which has cut off a third of their revenue stream. They're asking for donations now.
    Yeah, they went over that on their Walking Dead podcast and posted a pretty honest breakdown of their financial setup on YouTube. Good news is, they set a goal for $25K before February to stay afloat and they've already exceeded it in a week.

I'd really like to hear why the Amazon affiliate got pulled though. Kinda pisses me off that they weren't even given a warning or a chance to rectify the issues.

We Have Concerns

Podcast that takes science, philosophy, anthropology, or current event stories, usually submitted by the audience, and talk about what they might mean, with some comedy improv bits thrown in.

Championship Drive for all around CFB.

The Lowe Post and Bill Simmons Podcast.
    2 users like SoopaSooner's post: DirtyBob, Stinger_1066

You guys rule!
    Subscribed to Stuff you missed in History class today and listened to a segment on the way home from class.
    Just subscribed to We Have Concerns now.

The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Oh, and oorah, thanks for the OU football stuff. Gonna check that shit out.
    Also, I don't need podcasts for GoT stuff when you dominate the GoT thread anyway!

I have no idea what this is about. Carry on.
    The following users like this post: DirtyBob

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    It's like uhhhh talk radio on demand but you get to select who and what you listen to

Over a decade old old man lol
    2 users like SoopaSooner's post: oorah_okie, Stinger_1066

I love the Bill Burr Thursday, Monday Morning podcast. You can catch it on youtube....always entertaining.

We have a thread on podcasts. Idk maybe they aren't worth listening to.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    Such a meanie
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by JBret View Post
    Such a meanie
    shrug

Listening to your preferred sports radio and being able to skip commercials is invaluable.

And do listen to Hardcore History. You'll have to pay a bit for the older stuff, but it's worth it. 'Ghosts of the Ostfront' is worth an order of magnitude above what you'll need to buy it on iTunes.
    2 users like Organic Potatoes's post: DirtyBob, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by DirtyBob View Post
    It's like uhhhh talk radio on demand but you get to select who and what you listen to
    Originally Posted by SoopaSooner View Post
    He brags about being younger than me:

But I've been podcasting for over 10 years now. I started with listening to sports talk from The Ticket and ESPN Radio while riding my bike or running or working out, but there is so much more content available now. Anytime I'm on the move, chances are I have my earbuds on listening to a podcast.
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: DirtyBob, SoopaSooner

You guys rule!
    Subscribed to Stuff you missed in History class today and listened to a segment on the way home from class.
    Just subscribed to We Have Concerns now.
    When I first discovered "Stuff you missed" about 6 months ago, I went all the way back to 2010 and started downloading. I am still a long way from getting caught up.

I like the fact they are short (10 - 15 minutes) although I notice some of the more recent ones are longer.

Originally Posted by McRib View Post
    I didn't know that. Dammit.
    I don't know how to search threads on Tapatalk. Aside from building computers, I'm a tech inept individual

When I first discovered "Stuff you missed" about 6 months ago, I went all the way back to 2010 and started downloading. I am still a long way from getting caught up.

I like the fact they are short (10 - 15 minutes) although I notice some of the more recent ones are longer.
    The short ones match up perfect with my commute so I started with the old ones too

The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by SoopaSooner View Post
    He brags about being younger than me:

But I've been podcasting for over 10 years now. I started with listening to sports talk from The Ticket and ESPN Radio while riding my bike or running or working out, but there is so much more content available now. Anytime I'm on the move, chances are I have my earbuds on listening to a podcast.
    Well i listen to people like Levin, Rush, Tammy Bruce off their sites. I guess those are podcasts. I just hadn't heard of a single one you all mentioned. I thought it to be something different.

That's enough from you Old Dusty Sack.
    2 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: DirtyBob, oorah_okie

Freakanomics is interesting, The Moth has its moments. Dan Carlin is very interesting but those podcasts can be long.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post

Listening now. He's really good. Great takes on the Lebron / Phil Jackson and also Kaepernick situations.

If you are into history there are some good history podcasts to subscribe to.

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. These are really long and detailed, but his story telling style keeps you interested.

Stuff you Missed in History Class. These are short and sweet. They usually take only 10 to 15 minutes, and there are tons of them dating back 5 years or so.

I have been listening to the 538 podcasts during the run-up to the election, but that is all over now.

Most of the time I listen while working out, doing yard work, or driving long distance.

Sorry I don't have links. You can search for them in the iTunes store if you have an iTunes account. They're all free.
    Carlin is the best.

Anything on Twit.tv.

A podcast for you military junkies - The Modern War Institute at West Point

Came across this one by accident searching for something else. Sounds very interesting. Will listen to the first episode this morning at the gym.

You can subscribe on iTunes are download from here:

http://mwi.usma.edu/

I listen to:
    -Planet Money
    -Outkick the Coverage
    -Listen Money Matters
    -Freakanomics

Originally Posted by dallasstars10 View Post
    I listen to:
    -Planet Money
    -Outkick the Coverage
    -Listen Money Matters
    -Freakanomics
    #DBAP

Do By Friday is my current binge podcast. Merlin Mann is just amazing. The random Amazon Gift episode is where to start

Can't beat The Joe Rogan Experience. Joe is able to get some great guests! If you like UFC/MMA especially he has many episodes dedicated to that but if you don't he still has so many interesting characters on there from comedians to pseudo-scientists. Its one of the bigger podcasts out there but it is for good reason.

The Nerdist Podcast-Conversational interviews by Chris Hardwick talking random celebrities/interesting people (Sir Patrick Stewart's interviews are fantastic)

How Did This Get Made?- Paul Scheer, Jason Mantzoukas (from The League) review crappy movies. Its hilarious

The Moth- Random people/writers/comedians telling interesting life stories in front of an audience. Was watching Orange is the New Black and realized I'd heard the story on The Moth before

I Was There Too- Interviews with people who had small roles in legendary movies

Various Game of Thrones Podcasts

This American Life-same as the radio show, stories from different people wit ha new theme every week

Wait Wait...Dont Tell Me- News-Quiz-Game-Show
    The following users like this post: metes

Not sure if already posted

Undisclosed - Follow up to serial and now has picked up a new case out of GA.

Up and Vanished - Tries to solve a missing persons case from GA

Accused - Unsolved murder case in Ohio

Actual Innocence - People who have been exonerated of crimes they did not commit.

Truth & Justice - Real Crime(it's okay I guess)

Moth, This American Life & Snap Judgment are my favs

Up All Night comedians interviewing other comedians