Jumping Into My Resolution

Posted 277 day(s) ago 2650 Views 26 Replies

Jumping Into My Resolution

Since I already work out like a fiend, my son, fresh from his nutrition class at OU, has determined that if I "just watch my macros" I can have a 6 pack. Abs. On my 52 year old body. We'll see!

So, I'm starting at 182, aiming for 170 on my 5' 8" frame. I get to eat whatever I want as long as its:

2210 calories
    227 g protein
    90 g fat
    123 net carbs

13 8 oz cups of water per day.

apparently, a key to this is not getting hungry. The water (unsweet tea here at work) is surprisingly effective so far at quenching my usual hunger pangs. So, that maybe 1/4 lb of meat at lunch wont be so tough? I'm thinking salad!

I'm exactly 1/3 of the way through Day One.
    The following users like this post: BAMFSooner

You are going to be peeing like a racehorse.

how many meals are you doing a day?

Isn't 90g of fat three times the daily recommended amount? Seems like that would be bad for having six pack abs.

I'm not going to **** more than 7 times per week but I'm not starting until the 1st.
    3 users like Soonerp's post: brokebacksooner, Oldnslo, Wailer

I'm supposed to eat a meal or snack every 3 hours or so. Ben's the one who took the class; I have no idea what the RDAs are for my age/activity/goals. Trusting my kid.

and, yes, like a racehorse.

I'm thinking of installing television and a fridge in my bathroom, since I'm going so much.

sheesh.
    The following users like this post: Mjcpr

What's a net carb?

You subtract fiber from the total carbs to get the net carbs. V8 has 10 total carbs, 2 of which are fiber, so V8 has 8 per serving.

Originally Posted by Oldnslo View Post
    I'm thinking of installing television and a fridge in my bathroom, since I'm going so much.

sheesh.
    https://youtu.be/E1Mbcn_Xgdw?t=2m20s

Since I already work out like a fiend, my son, fresh from his nutrition class at OU, has determined that if I "just watch my macros" I can have a 6 pack. Abs. On my 52 year old body. We'll see!

So, I'm starting at 182, aiming for 170 on my 5' 8" frame. I get to eat whatever I want as long as its:

2210 calories
    227 g protein
    90 g fat
    123 net carbs

13 8 oz cups of water per day.

apparently, a key to this is not getting hungry. The water (unsweet tea here at work) is surprisingly effective so far at quenching my usual hunger pangs. So, that maybe 1/4 lb of meat at lunch wont be so tough? I'm thinking salad!

I'm exactly 1/3 of the way through Day One.
    I hope you are successful in obtaining a 6 pack.

Now for the bad news. 5'8" 182 is a BMI of 27.7 and is considered overweight. If you get down to 170 your BMI will be 25.9, but still considered overweight.

I'm an inch shorter than you and weigh 150. BMI is 23.5 and is considered "normal". I work out like a fiend too, but still have a small beer gut (because I drink too much beer).

When I suck in my gut I can see the outline of my ab muscles, but I'd still need to stop drinking beer and lose 10 or more pounds to have anything close to what I could call a 6 pack.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

Now for the bad news. 5'8" 182 is a BMI of 27.7 and is considered overweight. If you get down to 170 your BMI will be 25.9, but still considered overweight.

I'm an inch shorter than you and weigh 150. BMI is 23.5 and is considered "normal". I work out like a fiend too, but still have a small beer gut (because I drink too much beer).

When I suck in my gut I can see the outline of my ab muscles, but I'd still need to stop drinking beer and lose 10 or more pounds to have anything close to what I could call a 6 pack.
    Rule #1: The BMI charts are stupid. Keep in mind Samaje Perine is morbidly obese according to the BMI charts.

Oh, and 6 pack abs that "travel," they stay with you when you're not doing a prep to show off your abs, are around equal parts genetic/nutrition/exercise.
    7 users like SoonerSapper's post: brokebacksooner, Chk, Clark W. Griswold, kingswitz, Oldnslo, Spade1000, zcaa0g

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

I weighed 150 in high school! Wasn't overweight--I played soccer. On the other hand, I didn't have a 6 pack then, either. As an adult, I'd look like I was in Auschwitz at 150. I've been as low as 165 in my 40's, after Atkinsing for a full year; my Dad told me I looked gaunt. God bless him.

No homo: 43" chest, waist usually 34, but right now 36. That's the problem.

I work out. I mean, I'm not Charles Atlas or BJ Gaddour, but for a guy who spends a ton of time behind a desk, I'm in shape. This month, I'm again working my way through Metashred.

At this point, I'm going to burn off the weight just by running to the bathroom.
    2 users like Oldnslo's post: brokebacksooner, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by kingswitz View Post
    Isn't 90g of fat three times the daily recommended amount? Seems like that would be bad for having six pack abs.
    IIR, 60g is around where it would be on a 2200 Cal diet. Adding a bit more fat to it helps you feel more full though. Macros aren't as big a deal though as burning more than you take in. The reason macros become important is to keep you from feeling hungry and being a Snickers needing diva **** all the time.
    2 users like oucub23's post: kingswitz, waynepayne

For what it's worth, the drinking water thing seems to be working to control hunger. For lunch, instead of the usual 1/2 lb burger and fries, or other substantial lunch, it was all I could do to have a cup of soup and small side salad.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    What's a net carb?
    Gram of carb - gram of fiber.

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    You are going to be peeing like a racehorse.
    I make extra sure that I tell my Doc how much water I drink when I go in for checkups. The, 'How often do you pee?' question can come with a snap and a disappearing finger rather quickly if I didn't.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    I make extra sure that I tell my Doc how much water I drink when I go in for checkups. The, 'How often do you pee?' question can come with a snap and a disappearing finger rather quickly if I didn't.
    You should use OUDoc. He has some kind of device he uses for exams and his fingers never even leave your shoulders.
    4 users like Mjcpr's post: 82XFire, brokebacksooner, Oldnslo, oucub23

I always hear, "(MY NAME), we can put a man on the moon, but there isn't a good way to tell you this..."

What's a net carb?
    It's when you just can't help yourself so you post your workout photo online...see anthony wiener or paul ryan. wait you said carb not douche, may bad.

Gram of carb - gram of fiber.
    Awesome, so I can still have my carbs, provided I stay wth the Metamucil and shredded wheat.

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    You should use OUDoc. He has some kind of device he uses for exams and his fingers never even leave your shoulders.
    Is he a good kisser...???
    The following users like this post: Mjcpr

The gayness of this thread is astounding.

If we ever have to invade normandy again we're screwed with this pansyass generation.

Originally Posted by Final.Answer? View Post
    The gayness of this thread is astounding.

If we ever have to invade normandy again we're screwed with this pansyass generation.
    You're aware most folks in here are well beyond drafting age? If the army needs my 52 year old carcass on the front line, I'm pretty sure we're screwed.
    3 users like Oldnslo's post: brokebacksooner, oucub23, waynepayne

Awesome, so I can still have my carbs, provided I stay wth the Metamucil and shredded wheat.
    And high fiber is good to battle the Type 2 bĂȘtes ....
    When fiber is digested, your body handles it differently than the way in which refined carbohydrates, such as white flour, are digested. A portion of the fiber simply passes through your digestive system intact. This difference means that eating foods rich in fiber is less likely to cause a spike in high blood sugar.

UPDATE:

It's working. Even with taking days off for the holidays and my daughter's birthday (cake 3 days straight!) I'm down a couple of pounds. More importantly, the "mirror test," as Ben puts it, is more favorable. I'm well away from my super-fat-guy pants, and my regular-fat-guy pants are a bit loose.

2 users like Oldnslo's post: Stinger_1066, ThievingMagpie

UPDATE:

It's working. Even with taking days off for the holidays and my daughter's birthday (cake 3 days straight!) I'm down a couple of pounds. More importantly, the "mirror test," as Ben puts it, is more favorable. I'm well away from my super-fat-guy pants, and my regular-fat-guy pants are a bit loose.

Your Schmeckel will look bigger too..!!!