How is it that Clemson is able to recruit like this?

Posted 56 day(s) ago 18195 Views 489 Replies
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3

How is it that Clemson is able to recruit like this?

Before last season I'd never heard Clemson mentioned in the same sentence as good football team. I didn't get to watch the game between them and tOSU. But from what I've heard is that they just out-athleted and out-talented tOSU. And tOSU handled us fairly easily earlier in the season. How are they recruiting on such a higher level?

And most importantly; why can't we recruit this level of athlete consistently?

Location, location, location! They are located in prime territory. The Carolinas have a lot of players, and they are near Georgia and Florida. So that plays a lot into it!

They have a staff full of elite recruiters. Guys like Dan Brooks that have have been super successful on the recruiting trail for many years. Brooks was one of our stud recruiters back in Fulmer's strong years. Clemson's proximity to fertile recruiting grounds doesn't hurt either.

Sent from my XT1045 using Tapatalk
    3 users like HellVol's post: northspeter, OkieforOU, ousoonerman93

They recruit players who don't play 7 on 7 in the summer.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    Before last season I'd never heard Clemson mentioned in the same sentence as good football team. I didn't get to watch the game between them and tOSU. But from what I've heard is that they just out-athleted and out-talented tOSU. And tOSU handled us fairly easily earlier in the season. How are they recruiting on such a higher level?

Because Big 12 style of football is not conducive to developing players for the NFL. The offenses are gimmick laden and the defenses are not fundamentally sound
    4 users like soonergrad's post: Hamilton, nstinson, Sarasota Sooner, soonerson

They recruit the Cordreas, Deshauns and Ray-Rays

OU recruits the Jordans, Joes and Charles's

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post

I thought the crazier the name the better the player? Same with players with dreadlocks.

The following users like this post: ousoonerman93

Originally Posted by jdizzle View Post
    Location, location, location! They are located in prime territory. The Carolinas have a lot of players, and they are near Georgia and Florida. So that plays a lot into it!
    Yeah and 3 of their best recruits for this class are from Tennessee. ****ing Booch Joons

bama man running the show. I have no idea

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post

Haha earlier in the season, we had a DB with a name Dakota.

They work hard at it.
    7 users like recruiter's post: bd1, ChocoLab, Dingo, h-townsooner, StroudSooner, thunderclapnewman53, xunil

They have probably a top 3 staff in regards to recruiting. Clemson had fringe top 15 classes up until a couple years ago.
    3 users like awr90's post: BobStoopsGinger, ChocoLab

They promise not to run a 3-4 ?

Originally Posted by HellVol View Post
    They have a staff full of elite recruiters. Guys like Dan Brooks that have have been super successful on the recruiting trail for many years. Brooks was one of our stud recruiters back in Fulmer's strong years. Clemson's proximity to fertile recruiting grounds doesn't hurt either.

Originally Posted by soonergrad View Post
    Because Big 12 style of football is not conducive to developing players for the NFL. The offenses are gimmick laden and the defenses are not fundamentally sound
    D. All of the above.
    5 users like Jason's post: AtlSooner, Clark W. Griswold, OUrage, quidam65, swatmitchell

They have no major news outlets covering them hard. Charlotte is the closest and they don't give a damn about Clemson football. Think of Penn St. remember how clean of program Paterno had at least until the truth came out. Imagine all the other shit that went on at PSU.

A solid program, winning a lot, got a high energy coaching staff, located in prime recruiting territory...is this really supposed to be a mystery?

I guess folks in our part of the world can be forgiven as our most fertile recruiting territory - Texas HS FB - has largely been "Big 12'd" and rendered the farm system for the Collegiate Arena League..
    The following users like this post: soonergrad

A few Carolina prospects declined us and the reason was often like "pressure to stay close to home." Read into that what you will.

They can offer a slide now:

Clemson has a staff full of great recruiters. OU does not.

Originally Posted by soonerson View Post
    They recruit players who don't play 7 on 7 in the summer.
    I believe it was Sam Mayes that said 7 on 7 was ruining texas football recruits or something similar. Do we need to start looking elsewhere for our recruiting? Texas has been our big recruiting grounds for so long.
    2 users like traxx's post: soonergrad, soonerson

I believe it was Sam Mayes that said 7 on 7 was ruining texas football recruits or something similar. Do we need to start looking elsewhere for our recruiting? Texas has been our big recruiting grounds for so long.
    That's why OU has built a very unusual pipeline into cali that a lot of schools would give their left nut for. That's actually something unique that bob doesn't get enough credit for.
    5 users like awr90's post: AtlSooner, Boomer6671, h-townsooner, northspeter, Trip

Large black population density in the ACC and SEC territories.

I don't buy this whole SEC recruits being bigger stronger faster. I keep hearing this the last 10 years but has it historically been so? I posted in another thread about Auburn players saying the same thing about OU players when they played 45 years ago. A recruiting philosophy change (location and type of players) and complacent OU coaches have been the major factors.
    Bottom line, Stoops needs to get recruiting harder and go head to head with the Bama's of the world instead of competing against Iowa State and Northern Texas. Tuscaloosa is not some metropolis when compared to Norman/OKC.
    3 users like CarolinaSooner's post: ChocoLab, chris9996, traxx

Or maybe the better question is why can't we recruit great defensive lineman?
    Getting pretty bad when you have zero doubt that Marvin Wilson will end up someplace other than OU.
    And it's been going on for years now.
    The following users like this post: JW3K

Climate has a lot to do with it (year around practice ). With the exception of Ohio there's a reason California, Texas, and Florida among others are recruiting hot beds. It doesn't hurt that people in the southern half of the country are just a tad more passionate about college football than the rest of the country either.

Hilarious, considering Sam Bradford just broke an NFL record yesterday, but continue to cherry pick data, bamamouthpiece.
    3 users like oorah_okie's post: DirtyBob, Mad Dog Madsen, soonerschooner

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    Hilarious, considering Sam Bradford just broke an NFL record yesterday, but continue to cherry pick data, bamamouthpiece.
    Exception to the rule.

Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    Exception to the rule.
    Breaking an NFL record is never an exception.

Sam Bradford did NOT play in the modern Big 12. It was a different conference back then.

Too bad Darren Sproles was in a gimmick offense in college or else he might have had a longer NFL career.
    The following users like this post: DirtyBob

Sam Bradford did NOT play in the modern Big 12. It was a different conference back then.
    You cherrypick data to fit your agenda.

Hire a Bag Man, get good in three years, build on that, give Bag Man a raise.....

Simply put, Ohio State handled us because our defense was shit. OSU could've won against us on any given year; but the blowout happened because our defense made it too easy for them to do so.
    Clemson did what Venables did plenty of times at OU. They wrecked the opposing backfield. JT Barrett can't hold up to that just yet. We let him stand around and play pitch and catch against our shit coverage. When we might have been able to attempt to make them one dimensional, we didn't do that, either. They had their way with our shitty tackling and confused DBs.
    The following users like this post: Spade1000

Originally Posted by CarolinaSooner View Post
    I don't buy this whole SEC recruits being bigger stronger faster. I keep hearing this the last 10 years but has it historically been so? I posted in another thread about Auburn players saying the same thing about OU players when they played 45 years ago.
    When Auburn played OU 45 years ago many SEC teams hadn't integrated. Auburn had their first black player just a year or two before that '71 season. It took the SEC a while to catch up.

As for Clemson? It's got to be the coaches. Clemson is a tiny town with not much going on. You have to go to Greenville for a city of any size. One would think that programs like Georgia and South Carolina would have an edge on Clemson just because they are in a better location. Clemson does have a rabid and large following for being the Ag school in a state and they have some traditions so maybe that's part of it.
    The following users like this post: swatmitchell

Originally Posted by 49cent View Post
    Simply put, Ohio State handled us because our defense was shit. OSU could've won against us on any given year; but the blowout happened because our defense made it too easy for them to do so.
    Clemson did what Venables did plenty of times at OU. They wrecked the opposing backfield. JT Barrett can't hold up to that just yet. We let him stand around and play pitch and catch against our shit coverage. When we might have been able to attempt to make them one dimensional, we didn't do that, either. They had their way with our shitty tackling and confused DBs.
    OU's offense was shit as well and against Clemson as well.

Originally Posted by ATLantaSooner79 View Post
    They promise not to run a 3-4 ?
    I'd hate to think what would happen if Saban ran a 3-4. Oh, wait... he does.
    2 users like 49cent's post: clayman45, thatsoonerfan89

It kind of is an exception by definition. Otherwise, they'd be broken all the time and breaking a record would be no big deal.

Yet, they've been non-existent for decades until Dabo showed up and told them they were going to be in the hunt for national championships if they come play for him.

That is why Clemson is able to recruit like they do. These players aren't stupid they know a very good coach when they see one.

OK, I'll say it, we can't recruit like Clemson because these players know what they won't get if they come to Oklahoma. Pretty damn simple really.
    3 users like eightisgreat's post: soonergrad, Spade1000, traxx

Originally Posted by OUMick View Post
    They have no major news outlets covering them hard. Charlotte is the closest and they don't give a damn about Clemson football. Think of Penn St. remember how clean of program Paterno had at least until the truth came out. Imagine all the other shit that went on at PSU.
    So they're cheating then? Very Little Brother.

Knoxville, Atlanta, and Charlotte are all close to Clemson. A trip from Clemson to any one of those 3 cities would be like a trip from OKC to Dallas.

Originally Posted by URNotserious View Post
    Haha earlier in the season, we had a DB with a name Dakota.
    I knew a skinny white boy in elementary school named Dakota.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

1. Location/demographics. Unless you're a directional school, all you have to do to start pulling top 10 classes in the Southeast is win a couple high-profile bowls and keep the coach who won them.
    2. Good HC. How such a goober appeals to 17-year-olds beats the heck out of me, but he does.
    3. Staff who recruit well.
    4. Absurd upgrades to facilities that were fairly new to begin with (see slide above).
    5. Donors just the right age to finance #4 out of nostalgia for the 1981 title in their glory days.
    6. No local media critics due to boondocks location; no national critics due to ESPN ACC ties. If something isn't above board--and when you're fighting for top recruits in the Southeast, you're never spotless--it'll never come out. (Meanwhile, Pastagate.)

OU is sitting here with #2 and half of #3 asking why we don't get the same talent.
    2 users like AppalachianSooner's post: MontyFranklyn, Spade1000

Originally Posted by OUMick View Post
    Bullshit. I live in the suburbs of Charlotte, they have a lot of coverage here and a huge fan base to go with it.
    2 users like Dingo's post: MontyFranklyn, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    When Auburn played OU 45 years ago many SEC teams hadn't integrated. Auburn had their first black player just a year or two before that '71 season. It took the SEC a while to catch up.

As for Clemson? It's got to be the coaches. Clemson is a tiny town with not much going on. You have to go to Greenville for a city of any size. One would think that programs like Georgia and South Carolina would have an edge on Clemson just because they are in a better location. Clemson does have a rabid and large following for being the Ag school in a state and they have some traditions so maybe that's part of it.
    More of an engineering school, as far as they like to talk about. S: Roommate has masters in Engineering from Clemson.

and Clemson is pretty fun for the most part, it's kind of hard to deal with the "new money" though and I ****ing hate them.

1. Recruit great players with great recruiters, including aggressive tackles and corners - better than OU in this area
    2. Develop them well - better than OU in this area
    3. Back it all up with wins and #1 becomes easier - better than OU in this area

Originally Posted by 49cent View Post
    I'd hate to think what would happen if Saban ran a 3-4. Oh, wait... he does.
    My apologies. I thought the question being asked related to Clemson who runs a base 4/3. Wait... the question did relate to Clemson.
    Clemson, who plays fairly good defense. Ohio State who kicked our ass also happened to run a 4/2 against us. Are their a couple of 3 top ten defenses who run a 3/4? Yes.
    Unfortunately, we aren't Alabama and we aren't a top ten defense.

One player is an exception.
    You cherrypick data to fit your agenda.
    So do you.
    The following users like this post: soonergrad

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post

Possible but I am not sure the athletes in the south are better than the southwest. I find it hard to believe Stoops cannot find athletes in TX,OK,MS, KS area. We are taking about a population of 45-50 million.
    You are right about Clemson having a rabid and large following...I was surprised when I moved here. To me, they never even registered as a legit football school and it was eye opening.

Originally Posted by CarolinaSooner View Post
    Possible but I am not sure the athletes in the south are better than the southwest. I find it hard to believe Stoops cannot find athletes in TX,OK,MS, KS area. We are taking about a population of 45-50 million.
    You are right about Clemson having a rabid and large following...I was surprised when I moved here. To me, they never even registered as a legit football school and it was eye opening.
    Your right about that following. I live in Columbia and have about 60% Clemson fans as coworkers. It was a shock to see that in the home of Game**** Nation there are so many Tiger fans.