How is it that Clemson is able to recruit like this?

Posted 83 day(s) ago by traxx19938 Views 489 Replies
Page 8 of 10 6 7 8 9 10
    Originally Posted by Swamp Fox View Post
    you are speculating. Clemson always been a much better football program than SC. i think probably a majority of the sidewalk fans are Clemson fans.

bandwagoners would have flocked to SC when they had a good 4 year run with Spurrier. that was the best SC has ever been.
    You are speculating as well. I can tell you I have seen a ton more Clemson license plates, hats, shirts, flags in the last couple of years than the years before.

Clemson can recruit because they are a good school in a great conference.

It's a small school (one of the four small public Universities in the ACC ((along with Carolina, Georgia Tech, and UVa)) ). Clemson is located on the banks of Lake Hartwell on a huge campus.....it's a beautiful setting, about half way between Charlotte and Atlanta.
    ......and it's not in the SEC.
    The following users like this post: johnintx

Just wait. Dabo = next OU coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So it seems the consensus from this thread is that Clemson recruits so well because it's a beautiful campus in close proximity to tons of 5* talent. My question is, if that's true and Clemson is such a natural draw to all this top talent, why is this just now showing up? Why has all this top talent not been going to Clemson over the last 35 years? Why has Clemson only been a draw to this talent in the last few years?

My guess is that it has more to do with the coaching staff and how they recruit. And don't take that as me saying that I think they recruit dirty. But my OP was more to the point of what are these guys doing to recruit such top talent?
    3 users like traxx's post: CalSOONER, meoveryouxinfinity, ResidentEvil

Dabo's personality + winning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by XLance View Post
    Clemson can recruit because they are a good school in a great conference.

It's a small school (one of the four small public Universities in the ACC ((along with Carolina, Georgia Tech, and UVa)) ). Clemson is located on the banks of Lake Hartwell on a huge campus.....it's a beautiful setting, about half way between Charlotte and Atlanta.
    ......and it's not in the SEC.
    I wouldn't exactly call 23,000 "small". It's no Ohio State, but it's no Rice, either.

Originally Posted by Val on the Getner View Post
    I wouldn't exactly call 23,000 "small". It's no Ohio State, but it's no Rice, either.
    Correct, but well under 20,000 UG .
    Clemson was about 8,000 when I graduated from Carolina (which was then about 10,000 UG, now about 18,000)

http://www.clemson.edu/oirweb1/fb/fa...3topresent.htm

BTW, Wake Forest (under 5,000 UG) is not much larger than Rice.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    So it seems the consensus from this thread is that Clemson recruits so well because it's a beautiful campus in close proximity to tons of 5* talent. My question is, if that's true and Clemson is such a natural draw to all this top talent, why is this just now showing up? Why has all this top talent not been going to Clemson over the last 35 years? Why has Clemson only been a draw to this talent in the last few years?

My guess is that it has more to do with the coaching staff and how they recruit. And don't take that as me saying that I think they recruit dirty. But my OP was more to the point of what are these guys doing to recruit such top talent?
    Everything people have mentioned is true about the location and great campus, but it's also as great of a game day experience as there is.

They've got one of if not the best booster organizations among colleges in IPTAY. Phenomenal support.

You add in a coach that is 100% unique among elite coaches, the anti-Saban in an era and region where everyone is hiring Saban clones. Hell, I'm a FSU guy, and I'd want my kid to play for Dabo.

And finally, they've put together the staff that gets after it in recruiting.

The question isn't, how is Clemson so good. As you said, It's how were they so mediocre for such a long stretch. Part of it is just not finding the right guy at the head coaching position, and being in a very competitive region...if you're off your game at all, all the other programs in the region will eat your lunch.

But most of it is...it's just damn hard to win in this game. Notre Dame is headed toward 30 years without a national title. Michigan has half a title since 1948. Texas has one national title in the last 47 years.
    4 users like Lou_C's post: johnintx, Morningwood, Soonerfan65, traxx

Originally Posted by OUMick View Post
    You are speculating as well. I can tell you I have seen a ton more Clemson license plates, hats, shirts, flags in the last couple of years than the years before.
    that's not proof that they were not Clemson fans before. people tend to buy more clemson gear when the team is in title games.

They recruit so well because recruits can actually enjoy the National Championships they have won....DUH

To go along with the theme, how the hell does Bama recruit WR's in this class and then next few know that Hurts has got 3 more years.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    To go along with the theme, how the hell does Bama recruit WR's in this class and then next few know that Hurts has got 3 more years.
    Hurts days are numbered unless he improves his passing game...that kid from Hawaii will be the starter if he is half as good as everyone believes

Originally Posted by Lou_C View Post
    Everything people have mentioned is true about the location and great campus, but it's also as great of a game day experience as there is.

They've got one of if not the best booster organizations among colleges in IPTAY. Phenomenal support.

You add in a coach that is 100% unique among elite coaches, the anti-Saban in an era and region where everyone is hiring Saban clones. Hell, I'm a FSU guy, and I'd want my kid to play for Dabo.

And finally, they've put together the staff that gets after it in recruiting.

The question isn't, how is Clemson so good. As you said, It's how were they so mediocre for such a long stretch. Part of it is just not finding the right guy at the head coaching position, and being in a very competitive region...if you're off your game at all, all the other programs in the region will eat your lunch.

But most of it is...it's just damn hard to win in this game. Notre Dame is headed toward 30 years without a national title. Michigan has half a title since 1948. Texas has one national title in the last 47 years.
    Wow. An FSU guy that's flipping to Clemson?

Originally Posted by SoonerSpock View Post
    Dabo made the decision and got the approval of the administration to pay top dollar for the best assistants/recruiters in the country when he was hired. As I recall Dabo/school was the first to pay an assistant $1 million plus when he hired Chad Morris for $1 mil in 2011 and was paying him $1.3 mil when he took the SMU job. Morris was two years removed from coach Lake Travis, TX H.S. when Dabo hired him after one year as Tulsa OC. Kevin Steele was Clemson's first DC and was let go in his 3rd year when WVU hung 70 on them in the bowl game. He hired Brent Venables paying Brent $900K ($300K raise over OU). Brent is now making $1.425 million (Mike Stoops makes $900K).

Clemson pay for all of their assistant coaches is $5.39 mil. OU's is $4.39 mil. That is $110K more per assistant or 22.2% per assistant. LSU pays assistants (under Les) $5.78 mil. Alabama $5.32 plus they pay a former assistant and now in a staff position $440K for $5.76 mil. Texas aTm pays $4.81 mil. Georgia pays $4.68 mil. FSU pays $4.59. Ohio State pays assistants $4.58 mil. Texas $4.55 mil(under Charley Strong). Tennessee $4.54 mil. Florida $4.53 mil. Auburn $4.46 mil. OU is #12 in assistant salaries.

If you compare average staff assistant salaries to annual recruiting rankings there is a high correlation among the top 12 schools as 9, 10 and 9 of the highest paying schools had top 12 classes. The school that fell out of the top 10 most frequently was OU which failed to make the top 12 classes twice. Those that made the top 12 classes most frequently was USC all three years and Michigan two years. Of course because USC is a private school we do not know their coaches salaries, likewise for Notre Dame who had 1 top 12 class.

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/stor...ises/81312516/

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...6ce01901e.html

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/sala...ball/assistant

Mike Stoops is our Million Dollar Assistant.

Originally Posted by MontyFranklyn View Post
    Miami was the first major school that recruited inner city and urban black kids to fill a whole class. Before they did it most schools would maybe take two or three. They filled an entire class with them. Florida State and Florida soon copied them. Go back and look at rosters in the 80s and compare them to now and you'll see the increase of black players on rosters, especially in the south, rise significantly over time.
    Oh please. The players were getting paid bounties, getting hookers and drugs. How did they recruit all those totally black classes and have white qb's and other players on the field. Or is it only the urban blacks that count?

that's not proof that they were not Clemson fans before. people tend to buy more clemson gear when the team is in title games.
    If you would have read my 1st post you quoted, I said it wasn't scientific fact. I clearly stated it was a gut feeling.

Oh please. The players were getting paid bounties, getting hookers and drugs. How did they recruit all those totally black classes and have white qb's and other players on the field. Or is it only the urban blacks that count?
    Can you read? I said they recruited the inner city and urban blacks. Unless you are just totally racist, you are overlooking the fact that in south Florida, there are a wide variety of races that live in the inner city. White, Cubans, Dominicans, Blacks and so on. Use context clues, dude.

Can you read? I said they recruited the inner city and urban blacks. Unless you are just totally racist, you are overlooking the fact that in south Florida, there are a wide variety of races that live in the inner city. White, Cubans, Dominicans, Blacks and so on. Use context clues, dude.
    How many Cubans and Dominicans were on the Miami Team?

So the urban blacks are why Miami sky rocketed? The rural blacks weren't good enough? You also said they filled entire classes with them. BTW how did they get them to come? Why did they keep coming? Is there any possible chance they partying like rock stars with "Uncle Luke"?

Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    How many Cubans and Dominicans were on the Miami Team?
    Hey said the draft classes were totally filled with urban blacks. I don't recall a black qb at Miami in their glory days.

why everybody want to go to Clemson

So the urban blacks are why Miami sky rocketed? The rural blacks weren't good enough? You also said they filled entire classes with them. BTW how did they get them to come? Why did they keep coming? Is there any possible chance they partying like rock stars with "Uncle Luke"?
    Yes, kids from south Florida only went to Miami to party with Luke. Even before they won their first title, they were only able to recruit hometown and south Florida kids because of Luke.

Hey said the draft classes were totally filled with urban blacks. I don't recall a black qb at Miami in their glory days.
    just found it odds the Cubans and Dominicans were mentioned as some sort of way to call out a LTs poster as a racist?

Yes, kids from south Florida only went to Miami to party with Luke. Even before they won their first title, they were only able to recruit hometown and south Florida kids because of Luke.
    You might want to get in touch with The U. They have a bunch of white players on their roster.

Funny after Luke went away there were others that stepped in. I'm sure there wasn't someone there before Uncle Luke. I mean look at how dominant they are now since they've cracked down on the cheating. I couldn't possibly have a point.

I'll point out a couple of coincidences for you. I don't know how old you are but if you were around in the mid to late 80's you may remember.

Do you recall how fast Billy Tubbs bball team went down after the football team got put on probation at OU? I happened to have access to Billy in the early 90's said (in private) the damn football team got the university in trouble and now I can't go get my players.

Fast forward a few years. Look up OU's recruiting class rankings when the OU bball team got in trouble. Pay attention to the rise in football recruiting right after the probation was lifted. Those are prime examples.

You can keep believing the cash getting to these recruits doesn't matter. If that makes you feel better, fine believe what you will.

just found it odds the Cubans and Dominicans were mentioned as some sort of way to call out a LTs poster as a racist?
    Oh yes the RACIST. I love it when people call me that or at least insinuate it. If they actually met me in person, they would look like a fool.

I'll point out a couple of coincidences for you. I don't know how old you are but if you were around in the mid to late 80's you may remember.

Do you recall how fast Billy Tubbs bball team went down after the football team got put on probation at OU? I happened to have access to Billy in the early 90's said (in private) the damn football team got the university in trouble and now I can't go get my players.

Fast forward a few years. Look up OU's recruiting class rankings when the OU bball team got in trouble. Pay attention to the rise in football recruiting right after the probation was lifted. Those are prime examples.

You can keep believing the cash getting to these recruits doesn't matter. If that makes you feel better, fine believe what you will.
    Huh. So Capel had screwed us from 2012-2015, and it's only now we're recovering. That's another piece of the puzzle I hadn't considered.

Is Clemson an all male school? No chics in bikini's or anything like that, very disappointing.
    The following users like this post: gratefulRed

Originally Posted by Val on the Getner View Post
    Huh. So Capel had screwed us from 2012-2015, and it's only now we're recovering. That's another piece of the puzzle I hadn't considered.
    I heard the words come out of Billy's mouth in the early 90's. He was ****ing Donnie Duncan didn't have the scoreboard fixed for the Halloween bash. I'm not saying Billy gave $100 handshakes but they were on the boosters to keep everything clean. They couldn't afford the Death Penalty.

I don't know about the Capel years for sure but if you put 2 & 2 together.

One other thing when Selmon came out bashing Bomar for the Big Red deal. My 2nd cousin provided Selmon with a car in the 70's for 2 years.

Oh yes the RACIST. I love it when people call me that or at least insinuate it. If they actually met me in person, they would look like a fool.
    Just to be clear...I'm not calling you out on it...

Miami openly recruited gang bangers is what they did.

Originally Posted by party1234 View Post
    We have more wins since 2000 than anyone, so not "a lot" of programs wish they had our continued success, all of them do.
    Mic drop

How is it that Clemson is able to recruit like this?

We didn't need the best QB in school history, the best RB in school history, and the best WR in school history to beat two time defending national champion Alabama at the apex of their dynasty.

We beat them with ****ing Trevor Knight, a guy who didn't even rush for 1000 yards, and the worst offensive coordinator we've had in 20 years.

If we had our 2010 NFL first overall draft pick QB and even just one of the two most recent NFL rushing title winners (2014, 2015) that we produced, we would have won by at least 50.

Notably, Alabama had their best QB in school history, their best RB in school history, and the best coach in the history of college football on the sideline.

Still lost.
    The following users like this post: Oldnslo

Can we close this thread now that Clemson has won the Natty..

I think Clemson football was in the funk NC State basketball has been in for a long time. By that I mean, it takes terrible coaching to overcome some natural advantages that are built-in. In both cases, there's no excuse for either to be bad.

Clemson has made some stinkers for hires despite having a ton of financial resources and unbelievable fan support. Ken Hatfield, Tommy West and Tommy Bowden had moments of success but nothing sustained. None of those 3 seemed to be players coaches or able to relate to younger kids like Dabo.

Clemson is a cool place...it's very rural and football first. Their fans show up and open their wallets.

Haha. Not quite, but I do have mad respect for them and their game day experience.

I was pulling for Clemson last night, I suspect, like most OU fans. Since I live in SEC country, and have in laws with Clemson affiliations, I can say that most Clemson fans are a bit more grounded than swamp guy or whatever he calls himself. The ones I know look upon their back to back wins vs. OU as a validation of the Clemson’s program coming of age, precisely because beating OU means a lot to them.
    One of these Clemson in laws was acquainted with Frank Howard, and remembers when FURMAN was Clemson’s principal rival game. This savvy Tiger fan explained that “Clemsoning” reflected the sense of inferiority that many Tigers fan feel/felt, and therein lies the explanation for swampy’s absurd denigration of pre BCS/CFP championships.
    So swampy discredits “poll era” championships when in fact both the BCS and current CFP systems are partially poll driven. He discredits the 50’s and earlier because his team was gearing up for Furman in those days, instead of big time teams.
    By the way, those all orange uniforms ARE hideous, and I have a suggestion for Clemson: Go to a dominant purple theme with orange trim if you must. Imagine a purple helmet with an orange or white tiger paw, purple jerseys and white pants trimmed in both colors. A lot better look than the current one.
    Congrats to the Tigers for their 2nd natty!
    The following users like this post: johnintx

Originally Posted by northoval View Post
    I was pulling for Clemson last night, I suspect, like most OU fans. Since I live in SEC country, and have in laws with Clemson affiliations, I can say that most Clemson fans are a bit more grounded than swamp guy or whatever he calls himself. The ones I know look upon their back to back wins vs. OU as a validation of the Clemson’s program coming of age, precisely because beating OU means a lot to them.
    One of these Clemson in laws was acquainted with Frank Howard, and remembers when FURMAN was Clemson’s principal rival game. This savvy Tiger fan explained that “Clemsoning” reflected the sense of inferiority that many Tigers fan feel/felt, and therein lies the explanation for swampy’s absurd denigration of pre BCS/CFP championships.
    So swampy discredits “poll era” championships when in fact both the BCS and current CFP systems are partially poll driven. He discredits the 50’s and earlier because his team was gearing up for Furman in those days, instead of big time teams.
    By the way, those all orange uniforms ARE hideous, and I have a suggestion for Clemson: Go to a dominant purple theme with orange trim if you must. Imagine a purple helmet with an orange or white tiger paw, purple jerseys and white pants trimmed in both colors. A lot better look than the current one.
    Congrats to the Tigers for their 2nd natty!
    And your cleats can have thick, clear souls with orange goldfish swimming inside.
    2 users like Mjcpr's post: CalSOONER, Oldnslo

Originally Posted by John Swofford View Post
    I think Clemson football was in the funk NC State basketball has been in for a long time. By that I mean, it takes terrible coaching to overcome some natural advantages that are built-in. In both cases, there's no excuse for either to be bad.

Clemson has made some stinkers for hires despite having a ton of financial resources and unbelievable fan support. Ken Hatfield, Tommy West and Tommy Bowden had moments of success but nothing sustained. None of those 3 seemed to be players coaches or able to relate to younger kids like Dabo.

Clemson is a cool place...it's very rural and football first. Their fans show up and open their wallets.
    it didn't have the kind of facilities it has now.

Conference loyalty and respect.

it didn't have the kind of facilities it has now.
    Along with every other school in the country.

Originally Posted by John Swofford View Post

Yeah, this doesn't hold water to me.

If Clemson was in a funk then they've been in that funk for all but a few years of their existence. Being in a funk is what OU was in the 90s due to bad hires. OU started being good in the mid to late '40s, was good in the '50s, '70s, '80s and in the new century. We had a decade long funk in the '90s. Clemson has 2 title separated by 35+ years. That's not a funk. Clemson didn't make bad hires. They just couldn't get good coaches to want to go there. It wasn't a top job. And they didn't even hire Dabo. Bowden did that. Clemson fell bass ackwards into a good coach that can recruit really well.

If Clemson getting great recruits is because they have a beautiful campus and are located in a recruiting hotbed, then pretty much any coach could get those recruits. And they would've been getting those recruits with Tommy Bowden or any number of other coaches. My point is, it has more to do with the coach and what his staff is doing than any of these perceived natural advantages. If you took Saban and his staff or Urban Meyer and his staff or Dabo and his staff and moved them to Oklahoma State, then Okie State would start getting tremendous 5* recruits. The recruits would follow the coaches that win. And if you all think Norman is ugly, I'm here to tell you, Stillwater isn't anything to look at either. It's not easy to get to and has no natural advantages. But if you truly believe that if one of those coaches and there staffs moved wholesale to Okie State and couldn't be successful and make a run at a national title, then you don't understand football.

Dabo has made a name for himself now so good recruits would follow wherever he goes. But before he started making his title runs, he wasn't seen as a top coach. But he started getting the great recruits. So it's natural to wonder what he did to get these recruits to come to a school that had never been a destination school. Bama has tradition and Saban is a top coach so it's no wonder that they can get top recruits. Believe me, I'm not trying to trash Clemson or say they've been recruiting dirty. I just want to know how Dabo got such good recruits to a school that had been an afterthought and what does our staff need to do to start recruiting top talent like that.
    3 users like traxx's post: CalSOONER, gratefulRed, ResidentEvil

Originally Posted by soonergrad View Post
    Because Big 12 style of football is not conducive to developing players for the NFL. The offenses are gimmick laden and the defenses are not fundamentally sound
    Not so fast!

9 (tie). FSU
    9 (tie). OU
    8. UGA
    7. Clemson
    5 (tie). Miami
    5 (tie. USC
    3 (tie) UF
    3 (tie) tOSU
    2. LSU
    1. Bama

The range of players is 41-54.

I'd have thought that the B1G would have been more represented, what with all that "big boy" football they're alleged to play. Also surprised that the mighty ACC has as many teams as they do.

Not sure that this actually proves anything, but blue blood schools generally have better players.

Yeah, this doesn't hold water to me.

If Clemson was in a funk then they've been in that funk for all but a few years of their existence. Being in a funk is what OU was in the 90s due to bad hires. OU started being good in the mid to late '40s, was good in the '50s, '70s, '80s and in the new century. We had a decade long funk in the '90s. Clemson has 2 title separated by 35+ years. That's not a funk. Clemson didn't make bad hires. They just couldn't get good coaches to want to go there. It wasn't a top job. And they didn't even hire Dabo. Bowden did that. Clemson fell bass ackwards into a good coach that can recruit really well.

If Clemson getting great recruits is because they have a beautiful campus and are located in a recruiting hotbed, then pretty much any coach could get those recruits. And they would've been getting those recruits with Tommy Bowden or any number of other coaches. My point is, it has more to do with the coach and what his staff is doing than any of these perceived natural advantages. If you took Saban and his staff or Urban Meyer and his staff or Dabo and his staff and moved them to Oklahoma State, then Okie State would start getting tremendous 5* recruits. The recruits would follow the coaches that win. And if you all think Norman is ugly, I'm here to tell you, Stillwater isn't anything to look at either. It's not easy to get to and has no natural advantages. But if you truly believe that if one of those coaches and there staffs moved wholesale to Okie State and couldn't be successful and make a run at a national title, then you don't understand football.

Dabo has made a name for himself now so good recruits would follow wherever he goes. But before he started making his title runs, he wasn't seen as a top coach. But he started getting the great recruits. So it's natural to wonder what he did to get these recruits to come to a school that had never been a destination school. Bama has tradition and Saban is a top coach so it's no wonder that they can get top recruits. Believe me, I'm not trying to trash Clemson or say they've been recruiting dirty. I just want to know how Dabo got such good recruits to a school that had been an afterthought and what does our staff need to do to start recruiting top talent like that.
    It also has to do with administrative support, from top to bottom. My guess is that after the NC in the '80s, the higher ups didn't like the trouble the program was getting itself into, and shut much of it down. It hasn't been until lately that they've resumed their support of the football program at the same level.

You can see the same thing happening at OU in the '90s - Boren's first priority when he was hired was rehabilitating the image of OU as a corrupt football factory. That meant a salutary neglect of the athletic department. Everyone remembers how subpar our facilities were in 2000.

Four mediocre years and a cash flow collapse later, he came to realize that football success was the most important factor in OU fundraising, allowing him to build OU up toward being something more. That's when he hired Joe C and gave him full administrative support to rebuild the Athletic Department top-to-bottom. I would not be surprised if the same thing happened at Clemson around 2009 or so.
    2 users like Val on the Getner's post: SplitTD, traxx

and respect.
    I can dig that.

Conference loyalty

So, go to Clemson for.....drinking, going to the lake, going to football games. I wasn't aware Clemson had a monopoly on those activities that make it a more desirable collegiate destination.

Yes they have gotten some fantastic players but it all goes back to Watson; lets see how well they can do next year with a brand new QB with virtually no experience.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Soonerfan65 View Post
    Yes they have gotten some fantastic players but it all goes back to Watson; lets see how well they can do next year with a brand new QB with virtually no experience.

Sour grapes.

I have every faith that Dildo will be able to find a QB as good or better than Watson to fill that role. That is what having a coach 'not settling' for better than most will get you. Clemson isn't going away anytime soon, book it.

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    Sour grapes.

I have every faith that Dildo will be able to find a QB as good or better than Watson to fill that role. That is what having a coach 'not settling' for better than most will get you. Clemson isn't going away anytime soon, book it.
    Not sour grapes but its the truth; replacing an elite QB at the college level is a very difficult task. Watson was probably worth 2 or 3 wins this year and i dont see how any replacement will be at that level. Hell Texas and Auburn still havent found QBs over the last several years after playing for the Natty.