Oklahoma Sooners 2017 Gymnastics Season

Posted 174 day(s) ago by SoonernVolved14030 Views 231 Replies
Page 5 of 5 3 4 5
    i forgot about this. i guess that's all the action for today, and we're back on for tomorrow at 5pm?

ncaa tv broadcast schedule

unless a couple guys fall off the beam or slip in another event, another Natty looks to be in the offering.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211567638

WEST POINT, N.Y. -- The top-ranked Oklahoma men's gymnastics team inched one final step closer to its ultimate goal of a third consecutive national title Friday night, scoring a 430.600 in Session II of NCAA qualifying action to earn a spot in Saturday's NCAA Championships team finals.

Competing on the campus of the United States Military Academy in West Point, N.Y., the Sooners' score was the best among all six qualifying teams from Friday's pair of qualifying sessions. Illinois was second best with a 421.300 Stanford, which competed in the first session of the day placed third with a 420.450. Also qualifying were No. 3 Ohio State, No. 5 Minnesota and No. 7 Nebraska.

Oklahoma posted the highest team score of the day on all six events on Friday, while six Sooners won individual event titles. Sophomore and reigning NCAA all-around champion Yul Moldauer took home the crown on floor and rings, senior co-captain Colin Van Wicklen and freshman Matt Wesnke tied on vault, senior co-captain Allan Bower won parallel bars and Van Wicklen took high bar alone.

“We did our job,” head coach Mark Williams said. “The guys did well. You know, it was a good prelim and hopefully we didn’t expend too much energy so we can come back feeling better tomorrow. We’re happy with the results – a lot to do tomorrow.”

The following users like this post: blackfrancois

Coach Cale Gundy tweet:

Oklahoma Men's Gym Retweeted

1h
    Cale Gundy‏ @OU_CoachGundy
    I can feel another one coming!

Oklahoma Men's Gym‏ @OU_MGymnastics
    Embedded
    We'll see you tomorrow night! #LetItR3ign #OneMore #Sooners

2h
    Oklahoma Men's Gym‏ @OU_MGymnastics

i learned how to do this today. you copy just the file name (that 18-digit number) from the tweet's url and then place it inside "tweet" brackets.

https://mobile.twitter.com/OU_CoachG...25324603867137

What did we win a few weeks ago head to head with Stanford and some others? Was that not a national championship? I saw it
    Was?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by nstinson View Post
    What did we win a few weeks ago head to head with Stanford and some others? Was that not a national championship? I saw it
    Was?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    I believe you might be thinking about the MPSF Conference Championship:

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211553794

BERKELEY, Calif. — The top-ranked Oklahoma men’s gymnastics team secured its sixth consecutive Mountain Pacific Sports Federation (MPSF) conference title Saturday afternoon. The Sooners scored 432.200 as a team to place first at the MPSF Championships, just better than five points ahead of second-place Stanford (426.850).

The Sooners’ conference championship streak is their longest in program history and the most since head coach Mark Williams’ bunch won four straight titles from 2005 to 2008. The win also gives the Sooners 66 straight victories, their longest winning streak in school history. Oklahoma’s last loss came at the team finals of the 2014 NCAA Championships.

ahhh ok. I thought that was a natty for some reason
    The following users like this post: SoonernVolved

After 3 rotations, Oklahoma takes a commanding 3pt lead in the NCAA Men's Gymnastics Championships at West Point.

Watching on NCAA App.
    2 users like Bubblehead's post: odin's beard, theSeanDon

Originally Posted by nstinson View Post
    ahhh ok. I thought that was a natty for some reason
    No harm, no foul. It's still impressive how dominant a program they are.

#Sooners go 73.100 on vault! After those MASSIVE SR and VT sets, #Sooners now lead by 5.8 over Stanford.
    #LetItR3ign #Sooners
    The following users like this post: theSeanDon

2 more rotations to go to secure a 3-peat.

Originally Posted by Bubblehead View Post
    2 more rotations to go to secure a 3-peat.
    Oklahoma by 10.25 going into the final rotation.

Stanford slipped back to third....edit: make that 4th. And their last rotation is typically a lower scoring rotation than the 2nd and 3rd place teams. Illinois and Ohio St could finish ahead of Stanford. 2,3, and 4 all within one point right now.

Done deal.

Oklahoma wins by 8 points over Ohio St.

Illinois third
    Stanford fell to fourth
    3 users like meandmybutt's post: northspeter, odin's beard, theSeanDon

#LetItR3ign!!! The #Sooners are back-to-back-to-back NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!

#GymU #ChampU ➡️ bit.ly/17mgymchamps
    6 users like Bubblehead's post: barlowd, CrimsonOberon, northspeter, odin's beard, OU48A, theSeanDon

The Sooners and the five dwarfs tonight!

Final Standings:
    1. Oklahoma 431.950
    2. OSU 423.700
    3. Illinois 422.100
    4. Stanford 421.500
    5. Minnesota 414.200
    6. Nebraska 412.900

Oklahoma by 8.25 points. Very solid. 2nd-4th were very close.

8.25 points over 30 scores is averaging 0.275 better per score than the second best team.
    5 users like meandmybutt's post: blackfrancois, CrimsonOberon, northspeter, OU48A, theSeanDon

It's not just that they both won National Championships; it's that they both did it in commanding fashion.

Congratulations, ladies and gentlemen Sooners. Boomer!
    5 users like CrimsonOberon's post: blackfrancois, cfin5256, nocalsooner, SoonernVolved, theSeanDon

Oklahoma Sooners 2017 Gymnastics Season

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    4 users like Bubblehead's post: CrimsonOberon, nocalsooner, theSeanDon, Vodnik

It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
    It's Raining Men! Amen!
    I'm gonna go out to run and let myself get
    Absolutely soaking wet!
    It's Raining Men! Hallelujah!
    It's Raining Men! Every Specimen!
    Tall, blonde, dark and lean
    Rough and tough and strong and mean
    The following users like this post: blackfrancois

Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post
    It's not just that they both won National Championships; it's that they both did it in commanding fashion.

Congratulations, ladies and gentlemen Sooners. Boomer!
    So true. Also, they continued another historic feat. Last year, the University of Oklahoma became the first school to win both the Men's & Women's Gymnastics National Championships in the same year/season. This year, both repeated. GymU indeed. Congrats to both programs & both the athletes & coaching staffs. What they have built is simply beyond words.
    2 users like SoonernVolved's post: CrimsonOberon, theSeanDon

https://t.co/H7Un0w7r41

SOONER R3IGN: OU WINS THIRD STRAIGHT TITLE

WEST POINT, N.Y. – Back-to-back-to-back. Once again the Sooner dynasty r3igns over the gymnastics world.

Saturday night at Christl Arena in West Point, N.Y., the University of Oklahoma men’s gymnastics team etched its legacy in the history books, notching a team score of 431.950 to claim its third consecutive NCAA national championship.

The Sooners are just the fourth team in history to do so since the NCAA began holding gymnastics championships in 1938 and the first since Nebraska did so from 1979 to 1983.

The title is Oklahoma's 11th overall, giving it the second most in NCAA history (Penn State, 12), and the eighth during the 18-year tenure of head coach Mark Williams. Williams is now tied with his old head coach from Nebraska, Francis Allen, for the second-most all-time by a head coach (Gene Wettstone, PSU, 9).

In addition to the team title, Yul Moldauer won individual titles on floor exercise and still rings Saturday night.

Oklahoma's championship caps a third straight perfect season. The Sooners have won every meet they have competed in since finishing second at the 2014 NCAA Championships. In that span OU has racked up a program best 76 straight wins while claiming three national titles, three conference titles and nine individual national titles.
    5 users like SoonernVolved's post: cfin5256, CrimsonOberon, odin's beard, theSeanDon, Vodnik

Letting one of the seven deadly sins run rampant for OU Gymnastics........................................ PRIDE!
    The following users like this post: CrimsonOberon

My ortho doc was on the 91 championship team. He keeps up with the program still every time I see him he is bragging on them
    2 users like Soonerlife's post: CrimsonOberon, theSeanDon

Originally Posted by Soonerlife View Post
    My ortho doc was on the 91 championship team. He keeps up with the program still every time I see him he is bragging on them
    With good reason. Both the men and the women are putting together brilliance.
    4 users like CrimsonOberon's post: Bubblehead, HartRod, Soonerlife, SoonernVolved

if you haven't seen the men's highlights video ...

worth it.

Were most of the top members of the team seniors? Does OU have enough depth to challenge again next year for a 4th in a row?

sooners tour the big apple (with some hardware).

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Were most of the top members of the team seniors? Does OU have enough depth to challenge again next year for a 4th in a row?
    It's always difficult to say with any certainty, from year to year. Sometimes you lose seniors that weren't necessarily stars, but were important hard hat guys with consistency, or just vocal leaders. That said, OU wasn't terribly senior-heavy this year.

There's a lot of Firepower coming back. For instance, Yul Moldauer is one of the best gymnasts in college gymnastics and he will only be a Junior next year. Plus, Mark Williams always keeps that cupboard stocked. I'm sure there will be impact freshmen next season, like there always have been with Williams at the helm. I don't think 4 is out of the question.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211629792

NORMAN -- Three current and former members of the University of Oklahoma men's gymnastics team represented the United States at the Guimaraes International Tournament in Guimaraes, Portugal, on Saturday. The all-Sooner U.S. delegation took first place in the six-team event.

Sophomore and three-time NCAA national champion Yul Moldauer, along with former Sooners Allan Bower and Kanji Oyama, all members of the U.S. Senior National Team, teamed up to post a score of 164.650 Saturday. That total was good enough for first place and was more than 10 points clear of second-place Norway.

“This was a great chance for these guys to get some good international competition experience,” Oklahoma head coach Mark Williams, who was with the team serving as coach, said. “It's really special that we had a team of all OU guys out their representing the United States and ultimately winning the tournament. We're excited to keep it going in the event finals tomorrow.”

With scoring tight on the day, the U.S. posted its best marks on parallel bars (28.200), vault (28.100) and pommel horse (28.000). Competing in three-up, two-count format, the U.S.'s pommel horse score really set it apart from the field, clearing second place by almost three full points.
    The following users like this post: Bubblehead

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211630290

NORMAN – After taking team gold at the Guimaraes International Tournament in Guimaraes, Portugal, on Saturday, the all-Sooner United States team claimed four of the six event titles in the individual finals on Sunday.

Sophomore Yul Moldauer won the event titles on rings and parallel bars and placed second on pommel horse. Adding two more individual titles to the Team USA haul, former Sooner Kanji Oyama claimed event titles on vault and high bar. Oyama also posted the best all-around score of the competition during team finals on Sunday, but no all-around title was awarded. Former Sooner Allan Bower was solid on the day. He finished second on floor.

The Sooner trio teamed up to post a team score of 164.650 Saturday. That total was good enough for first place and was more than 10 points clear of second-place Norway.