Josh Jacobs--How does talent like that get overlooked by state schools?

Posted 171 day(s) ago 6849 Views 79 Replies
Results 1 to 50 of 80
Page 1 of 2 1 2
  1. #1

    Josh Jacobs--How does talent like that get overlooked by state schools?

    Interesting article by Jenni Carlson in today's Daily Oklahoman. Josh Jacobs, freshman RB for Bama, doing quite well. 6.6 yards per carry. 2nd RB off the bench. Gets quality playing time.

    Graduated Tulsa McLain last year--led state in rushing (at a 6A School) with tons of TDS. Had to launch his own social media program to get any interest.

    How does a guy like this, right under your nose, fly under the radar?

  2. #2
    Mjcpr's Avatar
    Posts
    4,878
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tulsa, OK

    If I remember correctly, he wasn't on anyone's radar, including Alabama's until very late in the process. I don't remember the reason. All of the schools got in on him about the same time I think and he chose Alabama. Hard to beat them out for any player, even an in state player, they've got it rolling in case nobody has noticed.
    3 users like Mjcpr's post: BoomSoon2016, Silentsniper1516, thatsoonerfan89


  3. #3
    Lazy recruiting. Relying too much on the "services".
    2 users like OkieThunderLion's post: ResidentEvil, Spade1000


  4. #4
    Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    Hard to beat them out for any player, even an in state player, they've got it rolling in case nobody has noticed.
    Would have been a lot easier had you built a relationship with the family early on. Protect your boundaries.
    2 users like OkieThunderLion's post: Saul Good, thatsoonerfan89


  5. #5
    It's interesting, but a "fluke" in recruiting. He didn't make the Tulsa Worlds top 50 players. No offer from TU. Somehow just slid past everyone. His recruiting all happened in the last week before NSD.

    It's frustrating but in the "shit happens" category. Sometimes players go under the radar. Just sucked it was in our state.

  6. #6
    Mjcpr's Avatar
    Posts
    4,878
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Tulsa, OK

    Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    Would have been a lot easier had you built a relationship with the family early on. Protect your boundaries.
    Obviously. But he just showed up on everyone's radar very late, I don't know why but it happened with everyone is my recollection. When that is equal, it's hard to beat out the likes of Alabama.

  7. #7
    I'm afraid we also missed out/passed on Zaven Collins. Class A qb, who sat most of the 2nd half this year. he's 6'4, 230 and runs a 4.7, still growing.
    Going to Tulsa as a OLB.
    His family are big Sooner fans and alumni. His dad and uncles all played college ball.

  8. #8
    Malicong's Avatar
    Posts
    358
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Green Country

    I said the same thing last year but it was more directed at the Tulsa football program. He literally was playing with a few miles of their campus and they never even tried to recruit him. The first thing that comes to my mind is his high school. Players from McLain (fair or not) oftentimes have baggage. It is in the worst neighborhood in the eastern part of the state. There may be something we are not aware of (leaving the state may have been in his best interests for his future) and caused the state programs to shy away when he was still a raw 3* level player. Regardless, he was just a late bloomer and didn't get much help from his HS staff on the recruiting front if I remember correctly.
    The following users like this post: BoomSoon2016


  9. #9
    Everybody missed him until new highlight film came out 3ish weeks before NSD. Like was said previously, if Tulsa missed him then it's hard to blame OU for doing the same.

    I also remember something during his recruitment about him wanting to get out of the state. Wasn't he a Missouri lean anyways until Bama came calling?

  10. #10

  11. #11
    I vaguely remember him saying something to the effect that he would not have stayed in state if he didn't have to. Probably wouldn't have mattered if OU had tried to recruit him.

  12. #12
    Yep, lazy recruiting by all the local programs. Not just OU. Kid wasn't a one year wonder, just on a bad team

  13. #13
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    7,737
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    He was on a bad team with no other recruitable players, he didn't attend any showcases or camps & his coach didn't do him any favors.. If you've got a kid that talented, make some phone calls, mail some tape.. His tape didn't hit the web until the season was over.. Once people saw it, his recruiting began.. Everyone was on the same playing field & he chose bama over missou, I think OU was a distant 3rd...

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: SixBean


  14. #14
    So his HS coach contacted OU about him, but never received any feedback? I remember one of LT's posters (TxBB Coach, maybe) advising he tried to alert OU to a great sophomore DT, but got ignored. And that DT ended up signing with Bama, and making All American. Not saying OU should chase down every yahoo calling about a player, but someone LIke Tx BB Coach or HS coaches shouldn't be ignored. You would think fostering good relationships with HS coaches should be desired. Getting in early, and developing relationships with players and family can pay off in the recruiting world, especially someone right under your nose (who likely could help next year with JM and SP going pro early).
    The following users like this post: Saul Good


  15. #15
    Originally Posted by CCSooner View Post
    Somehow just slid past everyone..
    Part of that is the kids and coaches fault. It's up to them to attend camps to get noticed
    The following users like this post: CCSooner


  16. #16
    Originally Posted by soonerquest View Post
    So his HS coach contacted OU about him, but never received any feedback? I remember one of LT's posters (TxBB Coach, maybe) advising he tried to alert OU to a great sophomore DT, but got ignored. And that DT ended up signing with Bama, and making All American. Not saying OU should chase down every yahoo calling about a player, but someone LIke Tx BB Coach or HS coaches shouldn't be ignored. You would think fostering good relationships with HS coaches should be desired. Getting in early, and developing relationships with players and family can pay off in the recruiting world, especially someone right under your nose (who likely could help next year with JM and SP going pro early).
    While your initial point about listening to high school coaches stands and certainly applies to Jacobs (it couldn't be that hard to send Gundy/whatever intern out to Tulsa one Friday night), don't give TXBBCoach the ego stroke of thinking he "found" A'Shawn Robinson, who was a 5 star.

    Imagine me calling the football offices, telling them there's this BJ Foster (http://247sports.com/Player/BJ-Foster-87617) kid from Angleton that they need to get in on, then getting mad they didn't throw me a parade for letting them know.
    2 users like TheBorenSupremacy's post: Mjcpr, northspeter


  17. #17
    In our situation, national recruiting gets you SS17 with a miss on Jacobs. Devoting enough time to Oklahoma HS ball to not only discover Jacobs, but do it in time to lock out Alabama? That probably gets you one good RB in Jacobs and five linemen flat on their butts in front of him, every snap, forever.

  18. #18
    Originally Posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
    While your initial point about listening to high school coaches stands and certainly applies to Jacobs (it couldn't be that hard to send Gundy/whatever intern out to Tulsa one Friday night), don't give TXBBCoach the ego stroke of thinking he "found" A'Shawn Robinson, who was a 5 star.

    Imagine me calling the football offices, telling them there's this BJ Foster (http://247sports.com/Player/BJ-Foster-87617) kid from Angleton that they need to get in on, then getting mad they didn't throw me a parade for letting them know.
    I was simply pointing out was that TxBBCoach tried to alert OU (but got ignored) when A'Shawn Robinson was a sophomore in HS way before he became a high profile recruit--I don't think every yahoo contacting OU about his son or nephew needs to be followed up on--but when a fan, as a high school coach with some knowledge about athletic ability, contacts you about a prospect, those probably deserve some attention--imagine if OU had gotten a headstart early on developing a relationship with A'Shawn Robinson --may or may not have panned out, but the effort has to be there to at least have a chance

  19. #19
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    26,908
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Josh Jacobs shows why OU needs to hire more quality control staff to screen the video of under the radar players.
    This would be a perfect type of job for Mark Mangino
    2 users like OU48A's post: OU812, Saul Good


  20. #20
    Originally Posted by Ostrich View Post
    Part of that is the kids and coaches fault. It's up to them to attend camps to get noticed
    And part of that can be on D1 coaches who rely mostly on camps--
    The following users like this post: Ostrich


  21. #21
    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Josh Jacobs shows why OU needs to hire more quality control staff to screen the video of under the radar players.
    This would be a perfect type of job for Mark Mangino
    Agree wholeheartedly--but it boggles the mind that an in state kid who led the state in rushing (at a 6A school) was under the radar--especially for in state schools close by (Tulsa, OSU and OU)--
    The following users like this post: Spade1000


  22. #22
    Originally Posted by soonerquest View Post
    I was simply pointing out was that TxBBCoach tried to alert OU (but got ignored) when A'Shawn Robinson was a sophomore in HS way before he became a high profile recruit--I don't think every yahoo contacting OU about his son or nephew needs to be followed up on--but when a fan, as a high school coach with some knowledge about athletic ability, contacts you about a prospect, those probably deserve some attention--imagine if OU had gotten a headstart early on developing a relationship with A'Shawn Robinson --may or may not have panned out, but the effort has to be there to at least have a chance
    He didn't call before Robinson was a highly rated recruit. I'll give him credit, he probably knew about Robinson before the message boarders, but Robinson was getting recruited in 8th grade so unless BBCoach called OU when Robinson was 12, OU probably knew about him and was already communicating. OU wasn't even in Robinson's top 5 by the time he committed, and he committed to a school that came on relatively late in Bama.

    Like I said, I agree with you completely, when a high school football coach calls, you need to listen, even if it doesn't work out or the kid sucks you can build a relationship with that coach but the staff did nothing wrong in not reaching out to a basketball coach who told them a kid from Texas who was being recruited since 8th grade was good.

    If you want to blame someone on the football staff, blame Switzer for not offering Robinson's mom a scholarship knowing she'd have an uber talented son

  23. #23
    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Josh Jacobs shows why OU needs to hire more quality control staff to screen the video of under the radar players.
    This would be a perfect type of job for Mark Mangino
    Agree. Fill the spots. No stones unturned.

    Except for the Mangino part.

  24. #24
    Originally Posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
    He didn't call before Robinson was a highly rated recruit. I'll give him credit, he probably knew about Robinson before the message boarders, but Robinson was getting recruited in 8th grade so unless BBCoach called OU when Robinson was 12, OU probably knew about him and was already communicating. OU wasn't even in Robinson's top 5 by the time he committed, and he committed to a school that came on relatively late in Bama.

    Like I said, I agree with you completely, when a high school football coach calls, you need to listen, even if it doesn't work out or the kid sucks you can build a relationship with that coach but the staff did nothing wrong in not reaching out to a basketball coach who told them a kid from Texas who was being recruited since 8th grade was good.

    If you want to blame someone on the football staff, blame Switzer for not offering Robinson's mom a scholarship knowing she'd have an uber talented son
    I agree that when a HS coach attempts contact re a possible player, that should not be ignored, and TX BB Coach was ignored. Hopefully, that has changed. I do get the sense that BS is more engaged now with recruiting than he was from 2009 -2015 until BM fell into his lap, which seems to have jumpstarted rejuvenation.

  25. #25
    Originally Posted by soonerquest View Post
    Agree wholeheartedly--but it boggles the mind that an in state kid who led the state in rushing (at a 6A school) was under the radar--especially for in state schools close by (Tulsa, OSU and OU)--
    Losing him to Alabama doesn't bother me at all. What does bother me is that the local pundits were totally clueless on this kid and then, with the offers showing up about a week before NSD, Jacobs is suddenly declared a top 5 (or whatever) in all of Oklahoma HS football. Revisionist honors/recognition were declared more than two months AFTER the HS season was over. Unbelievable.
    The following users like this post: northspeter


  26. #26
    Originally Posted by soonerquest View Post
    I agree that when a HS coach attempts contact re a possible player, that should not be ignored, and TX BB Coach was ignored. Hopefully, that has changed. I do get the sense that BS is more engaged now with recruiting than he was from 2009 -2015 until BM fell into his lap, which seems to have jumpstarted rejuvenation.
    OU/Stoops was slow to the social media landscape.

  27. #27
    Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    OU/Stoops was slow to the social media landscape.
    I saw more tears shed toward Jace Sternberger on this board the previous year but not a peep on this kid, not one?

  28. #28
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    7,737
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    I saw more tears shed toward Jace Sternberger on this board the previous year but not a peep on this kid, not one?
    This board picked up on him about the same time everyone else did... I know he was the state's leading rusher but he wasn't a tailback, he played QB at McClain. All of his rushing yards were virtually wildcat yards.. So, there still had to be some projecting for him...

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

  29. #29
    The real story is why does the Oklahoma media do such a shitty, lazy job every day of the year?
    4 users like OU812's post: cccasooner2, northspeter, Spade1000, xunil


  30. #30
    Isn't McLain the school that kids go to when they can't get into like Booker T or Union or something? I asked a friend who's Tulsa born and raised, OU educated about the situation and he seemed to insinuate that he wasn't shocked that a kid at McLain would be assumed a MAJOR grade risk, at best.

  31. #31
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    7,737
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    Originally Posted by LeisureClub View Post
    Isn't McLain the school that kids go to when they can't get into like Booker T or Union or something? I asked a friend who's Tulsa born and raised, OU educated about the situation and he seemed to insinuate that he wasn't shocked that a kid at McLain would be assumed a MAJOR grade risk, at best.
    Yes & no.. Union is not a TPS... Mcclain, BTW, Edison ect. have specialized programs & feeder junior highs... BTW gets the best & brightest of that bunch... Edison or Memorial are probably next, so on & so forth, until you get to McClain..

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

  32. #32
    Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    This board picked up on him about the same time everyone else did... I know he was the state's leading rusher but he wasn't a tailback, he played QB at McClain. All of his rushing yards were virtually wildcat yards.. So, there still had to be some projecting for him...

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    A super athlete is a super athlete. Dalton Woods was a wildcatter too (pun intended), same with Hardy from Houston, people can project on talent.

  33. #33
    Originally Posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
    Everybody missed him until new highlight film came out 3ish weeks before NSD. Like was said previously, if Tulsa missed him then it's hard to blame OU for doing the same.

    I also remember something during his recruitment about him wanting to get out of the state. Wasn't he a Missouri lean anyways until Bama came calling?
    I get that, I really do.

    But, IMO, its not that hard for a grad assistant or a QC coach to pick up a paper and see that he is tearing it up, then go up there on a weekend to see him play. It's not like he was in Texas where there could be a thousand kids like him to scout out, this is OK. Its not that hard to just send a pee-on up to take a look and give a yay or nay to the main coaches.

    It was lazy lazy recruiting unless the kid has baggage that the coaches knew about early on.

  34. #34
    Maybe Cale thought Abdul Adams was better. With his track record, it is hard to argue against him.

  35. #35
    So with Najee signing with Alabama JJ might transfer to OU !!

  36. #36
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    26,908
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    This is where OU could hire several retired coaches who have known track records of finding under the radar recruits. They could evaluate film and talk to high school coaches. Even well respected older high school coaches should be considered… It could help if we had someone from places like Dallas Houston, Tulsa.

    Nearly every year there are a handful of Okies, walk-ons and others who are over looked but later become good football players. Some make the NFL…. In a low populated state, identifying and signing a few of these diamonds in the rough has always been important for OU’s very best teams.
    The following users like this post: Soonerlife

    Last edited by OU48A; January 10th, 2017 at 02:47 PM.

  37. #37
    ^ yep. And it takes some of the pressure off the full time coaches. They can focus on winning the recruits over, as opposed to finding the right ones.

  38. #38
    We need to max out on quality control assistants. You are just handicapping yourself from the get-go if you don't. They aren't going to be retired coaches (why the **** would they want to track down recruits in bum**** miserable places in Oklahoma?)

  39. #39
    Originally Posted by Hallucinogenic_Toreador View Post
    I'm afraid we also missed out/passed on Zaven Collins. Class A qb, who sat most of the 2nd half this year. he's 6'4, 230 and runs a 4.7, still growing.
    Going to Tulsa as a OLB.
    His family are big Sooner fans and alumni. His dad and uncles all played college ball.
    I doubt we "missed out" on Collins like we did with Jacobs...Alabama and Tulsa are worlds apart.

  40. #40
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    26,908
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    We need to max out on quality control assistants. You are just handicapping yourself from the get-go if you don't. They aren't going to be retired coaches (why the **** would they want to track down recruits in bum**** miserable places in Oklahoma?)
    I don’t believe quality control assistants are allowed to leave campus?
    A quality control recruiting job would give the right retired coaches the ability to still be around the game but without all the travel hassles and other pains of coaching.

  41. #41
    SoonerSapper's Avatar
    Posts
    9,087
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Fort Irwin CA

    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    I don’t believe quality control assistants are allowed to leave campus?
    A quality control recruiting job would give the right retired coaches the ability to still be around the game but without all the travel hassles and other pains of coaching.
    Its all in how you word things. Maybe they just enjoy going to HS games in Oklahoma, Texas, and Kansas?
    The following users like this post: OU48A


  42. #42
    Why are we awarding this kid The Heisman already.....Not saying he's not talented but he didn't exactly blow it out of the water this year....

  43. #43
    mgsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    11,874
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tallsa

    Every time this comes up, I am reminded of this video clip:


  44. #44
    Originally Posted by Nostalgic Scientist View Post
    I doubt we "missed out" on Collins like we did with Jacobs...Alabama and Tulsa are worlds apart.
    well no shit.

  45. #45
    Originally Posted by Hallucinogenic_Toreador View Post
    well no shit.
    Completely agree with you.

  46. #46
    Still not reading where I said he could be the same type of recruit. If Collins were at a 6A school, you can bet it might be a different story.
    he was recruited to come to a few larger schools too btw. I'm just pointing out that he's going to be a large kid with lots of potential and he comes from a family of bluebloods. thanks though

  47. #47
    sooner518's Avatar
    Posts
    5,618
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Austin, TX

    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Josh Jacobs shows why OU needs to hire more quality control staff to screen the video of under the radar players.
    This would be a perfect type of job for Mark Mangino
    so what would this quality control staff member have watched on Jacobs? dude didnt have a highlight tape until January 2016.

  48. #48
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    26,908
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by sooner518 View Post
    so what would this quality control staff member have watched on Jacobs? dude didnt have a highlight tape until January 2016.
    It’s very simple. It starts with word of mouth….

    High school coaches could have a contact person at OU that maybe they already know and like who is responsible for that part of Oklahoma. The OU people could contact coaches asking them if they had seen any undervalued players on their team or their opponents. OU quality control could request game film of a player and if necessary have other OU staff edit it for OU coaching staff review. Do this at least once a month in several cities and it’s going to uncover players.

  49. #49
    mgsooner's Avatar
    Posts
    11,874
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Tallsa

    Question:

    Given what we'll have on campus at RB in 2017, why the **** do we care that Josh Jacobs won't be among them?
    3 users like mgsooner's post: oorah_okie, OU812, xunil


  50. #50
    Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Question:

    Given what we'll have on campus at RB in 2017, why the **** do we care that Josh Jacobs won't be among them?
    OU wanted him, or they would not have offered.

    With all due respect, you are missing the point--Here we have an under the nose, high profile player (led state in rushing at a 6A school no less) who goes completely unnoticed by OU (even though his HS coach contacted OU, but never got a return call) until the kid goes on social media. OU "found" him days before the signing date. I don't know what the deal is--Is it relying on camps too much? Some kids cannot afford camp. Also, It's not a good idea to disrespect HS coaches by not even calling back when they are trying to help you with a prospect. HS coaches can be a valuable asset,

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: November 2nd, 2015, 01:40 PM
  2. Replies: 156
    Last Post: January 10th, 2015, 08:42 PM
  3. ESPN: Q&A: Oklahoma State LB Seth Jacobs
    By Mex The Dog in forum The Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: October 8th, 2014, 12:20 PM

Tags for this Thread