Josh Jacobs--How does talent like that get overlooked by state schools?

Posted 112 day(s) ago by soonerquest5600 Views 79 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by soonerquest View Post
    OU wanted him, or they would not have offered.

With all due respect, you are missing the point--Here we have an under the nose, high profile player (led state in rushing at a 6A school no less) who goes completely unnoticed by OU (even though his HS coach contacted OU, but never got a return call) until the kid goes on social media. OU "found" him days before the signing date. I don't know what the deal is--Is it relying on camps too much? Some kids cannot afford camp. Also, It's not a good idea to disrespect HS coaches by not even calling back when they are trying to help you with a prospect. HS coaches can be a valuable asset,
    Tulsa McClain is not a 6A school

I know some years back in S.E Okla at least one high school that couldn't get OU to even return calls about some players. At least two of those players went on to other schools and had very good carers..One still playing Canadian football. Then few years later this same high school had one of the top five players in the country, OU wanted him badly..coaches at the school pointed him elsewhere. I really don't know much how the staff up there now does things, maybe it's better now
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Isn't the football program awash in revenue? Should be some bucks to hire more staff. If we are short, fire Mike, hire a sub at $500-600.000 and have enough left over to hire 2 more people.
    Did Jacobs play the Championship Game?

i think a lot of people tend to forget that jacobs' final two schools were mizzou and bama. all i remember about the guy is hearing that he wanted to get out of oklahoma. i don't know if that explains why none of the area schools showed him much interest or what but even if ou had been in on the guy from the beginning, he was going to leave the state anyway.
    2 users like max fischer's post: Hang Half a Hundred, northspeter

With all due respect, you are missing the point--Here we have an under the nose, high profile player (led state in rushing at a 6A school no less) who goes completely unnoticed by OU (even though his HS coach contacted OU, but never got a return call) until the kid goes on social media. OU "found" him days before the signing date. I don't know what the deal is--Is it relying on camps too much? Some kids cannot afford camp. Also, It's not a good idea to disrespect HS coaches by not even calling back when they are trying to help you with a prospect. HS coaches can be a valuable asset,

Probably more of a trying to keep him quiet type thing. OU knew about him and was saving the offer in case someone better came along. But in the mean time, they didn't want to offer so that other schools wouldn't look at him. It obviously backfired! Just a theory.

You have a little bit of revisionist history there. Jacobs was not a high level recruit until about a month before NSD. It sucks that he went to 'Bama but damn. Keep in mind that not every HS submits stats to the papers, some HS coaching staffs put zero effort into getting their players recruited, and Jacobs didn't go to any camps. That's why he went under the radar.

Originally Posted by SoonerSapper View Post
    You have a little bit of revisionist history there. Jacobs was not a high level recruit until about a month before NSD. It sucks that he went to 'Bama but damn. Keep in mind that not every HS submits stats to the papers, some HS coaching staffs put zero effort into getting their players recruited, and Jacobs didn't go to any camps. That's why he went under the radar.
    That does not meet his narrative...

Not really, the point being that while he was a high profile high school player, as he led state in rushing at a large school--he, inexplicably was an under the radar recruit --high profile, but somehow totally ignored--

OU should hire a bunch of football staff to comb through crappy video of every rinky dink, awful football game played in the state, so that in 5 years, when another 4 start player goes totally under the radar, we can get in on him early.
    2 users like sooner518's post: RockFlagandEagle, Sooner209

Not really, the point being that while he was a high profile high school player, as he led state in rushing at a large school--he, inexplicably was an under the radar recruit --high profile, but somehow totally ignored--
    He wasn't a high profile player... Hence, being an under the radar recruit...

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

It was Wyoming I think..his first "big" offer then we started sniffing around
    Originally Posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
    Everybody missed him until new highlight film came out 3ish weeks before NSD. Like was said previously, if Tulsa missed him then it's hard to blame OU for doing the same.

I also remember something during his recruitment about him wanting to get out of the state. Wasn't he a Missouri lean anyways until Bama came calling?

How did everyone miss Wes Welker?----It happens

Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    How did everyone miss Wes Welker?----It happens
    Tech didn't

Holy Mother of God. It's time to let this go.
    3 users like CalSOONER's post: H82Lose, Hang Half a Hundred, WestCoastSooner

Originally Posted by really View Post
    Tech didn't
    ---Leach gave him their last Skolly ---- He was a last min signee ----How about Barry Sanders-----Switzer said he never heard of him in high school

Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    ---Leach gave him their last Skolly ---- He was a last min signee ----How about Barry Sanders-----Switzer said he never heard of him in high school
    Not sayin' Sanders was an alien, but he was an alien.

I know some years back in S.E Okla at least one high school that couldn't get OU to even return calls about some players. At least two of those players went on to other schools and had very good carers..One still playing Canadian football. Then few years later this same high school had one of the top five players in the country, OU wanted him badly..coaches at the school pointed him elsewhere. I really don't know much how the staff up there now does things, maybe it's better now
    Name the HS and players or get out of here with this bullshit.

SE Okla had a top 5 player in the country?
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    SE Okla had a top 5 player in the country?
    Maybe back in the day. Not during the Bob era. I don't think SE OK has had a player in the top 100 in that time frame.

Gotta be Massey from Spiro. That's about the only kid I can think of.

one or two from Broken Bow and Ardmore. if Ardmore counts. Taj Collins? kid went to Miami, I forget his name.

Originally Posted by Hallucinogenic_Toreador View Post
    one or two from Broken Bow and Ardmore. if Ardmore counts. Taj Collins? kid went to Miami, I forget his name.
    Johnson. Think he transferred to San Diego State. Think he's an attorney in California now.
    The following users like this post: Hallucinogenic_Toreador

Originally Posted by sooneralum2012 View Post
    Name the HS and players or get out of here with this bullshit.
    I seem to remember hearing something along these lines about Lawton but that is in the SW obviously and that was long before Stoops. I don't think SE Oklahoma has produced more than a handful of P5 caliber players in the last 2 decades let alone a top 5 national player.

Op, it's quite simple, he wasn't overlooked by ou. OU offered him a scholarship before Alabama.
    The following users like this post: northspeter

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Locke

Derrick Locke (born May 30, 1989) is former American football running back. He was signed by the Philadelphia Eagles as an undrafted free agent in 2011. He played college football at Kentucky.

Locke was a four-year starter on his high school football team in Hugo, Oklahoma – as a running back in his freshman and senior years and a quarterback in his sophomore and junior years. During his senior year, he rushed for 3,250 yards and scored 51 touchdowns. He was named Most Valuable Player of Oklahoma Class AAA and named all-state, all-district, and the Red River Valley Player of the Year.[1]
    Locke was also a track athlete, competing in the long jump. He set a state record and had the longest jump in the nation his senior year, with a leap of 25 feet, 4.75 inches.[1][2]

In 2007, Locke started on the University of Kentucky football team as a freshman and earned the team's Most Outstanding First-Year Player Award as picked by the coaches

Don't feel so bad, my neighbor here in Houston is a big Longhorn fan, is I want to ruin hie day I remind him that Mack Brown missed out on Andy Dalton, Andrew Luck and Adrian Peterson. If I want to ruin his year, I remind him that UT lost to Kansas in Football.
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Originally Posted by Hallucinogenic_Toreador View Post
    How highly ranked was Jeremy Shockey out of Ada?

Originally Posted by Soonerp View Post
    He wasn't highly ranked until he was coming out of JUCO...

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    2 users like northspeter's post: MadMex, Soonerp

Originally Posted by Soonerp View Post
    I'm my memory serves me right, he was a skinny 3 star athlete out of high school. John Blake was interested and Jeremy was hoping to play for OU... Blake got fired and new coach Stoops didn't have any interest in Jeremy. So he goes to NEO, adds 20lbs of muscle and you know the rest. He wanted to play with Dan Cody but never got the chance. Missed opportunity.
    The following users like this post: Soonerp

Originally Posted by oudivesherpa View Post
    Don't feel so bad, my neighbor here in Houston is a big Longhorn fan, is I want to ruin hie day I remind him that Mack Brown missed out on Andy Dalton, Andrew Luck and Adrian Peterson. If I want to ruin his year, I remind him that UT lost to Kansas in Football.
    You could add RGIII, Johnny foosball, Matt Stafford.