Saban has filed a formal complaint with NCAA and CFB coaches to change pic rule

Posted 139 day(s) ago by htownSOONER10874 Views 151 Replies
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by htownSOONER View Post
    It has been proven Saban cannot handle quick no huddle that make you defend the while field.
    Sabah is the D.C. too...???

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Honestly though, have you ever seen players on defense THAT fast? For much of the game, even on plays where they got burned on a pass, there were 6 guys there waiting to tackle the ball carrier. And when they weren't there, the speed they had to catch up with them was rather impressive.

Yeah, there were some missed tackles here and there and that's going to happen in a big game like this but I remember watching and thinking man those guys are fast.
    If the Bama offense ever catches up with the defense college football is screwed.
    2 users like Bob's post: OKIRISHFAN, Section31

Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    If the Bama offense ever catches up with the defense college football is screwed.
    True.

And I'm not speaking as to how good or bad the defense was. My point is simply there was a ton of speed on that side of the ball.
    The following users like this post: soonerschooner

Nick's got no problem with pushing the rules to send his defense's message to opposing offenses. Bama should've been without Reuben Foster and Tony Brown after their targeting "messages" to Deshaun Foster and Mike Williams.

Nick will tell Sarkisian to start running that same rub play next season.
    2 users like cjames317's post: soonerguru, zcaa0g

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    True.

And I'm not speaking as to how good or bad the defense was. My point is simply there was a ton of speed on that side of the ball.
    I think Clemson obviously wore them out . . .
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN

BAMA has problems at qb That's for sure...
    The following users like this post: zcaa0g

If I was Alabama, I would be more focused on why 400+ passing yards was given up for the second year in a row in the national title game and maybe finding a QB that can do better than 13 of 30 passing or whatever it was.
    3 users like zcaa0g's post: ouflak, soonerschooner, tcrb

Shit, the offense doesn't need to catch up. They could put 3* players at every position and a solid juco or transfer QB and get it done with that D. We haven't seen the last of those ****ers at Bama, sadly.
    4 users like undark's post: Bob, LVSOONER15, OKIRISHFAN, ouflak

Last edited by undark; January 10th, 2017 at 01:35 PM.

The reason Bama lost wasn't because of the last play, but I agree with Saban, the pick play is bull shit, and rules need to change. How? I don't know beyond my pay grade.

Originally Posted by Bob View Post

If they do that, it will most likely negatively impact their defense. Just ask Gary Patterson.
    3 users like zcaa0g's post: Bob, SoonerPT, SportyJames

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    He was after Clemson scored their first TD.

Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    The reason Bama lost wasn't because of the last play, but I agree with Saban, the pick play is bull shit, and rules need to change. How? I don't know beyond my pay grade.
    Wonder how many times they saw that play in an SEC game . . . and the percentage of it being called or not called on the offense?

Originally Posted by JBret View Post
    i thought the late hit was more egregious than the pick but thats just me.
    Maybe, but if that hit cause the ball to come loose I bet the officials call it incomplete.

Shit, the offense doesn't need to catch up. The could put 3* players at every position and a solid juco or transfer QB and get it done with that D
    What D? - That defense is only setup for winning week in and week out, vs WEAK ( Zero Offense) SEC teams
    Put them in another conference and they're losing 2-3 games easy
    The following users like this post: soonerguru

Originally Posted by 2000sooner View Post
    What D? - That defense is only setup for winning week in and week out, vs WEAK ( Zero Offense) SEC teams

Think about this for a moment, one of the SEC's best quarterbacks this past season was former Oklahoma quarterback Trevor Knoght at Texas A&M. Auburn is getting former Baylor quarterback Jarrett Stidham next season & we all know he will be the instant starter and the best QB in the SEC next season.
    2 users like SoonernVolved's post: AmericanMuscle, soonerschooner

The D Bama had on the field last night was one of the best in the history of college football. But even they can be exploited by a good offense. Especially so when they're on the field the whole damn game because their offense is so inept.
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post

Yes. All the talking heads said losing Kirby Smart wouldn't hurt due to how hands on the defensive side Saban is.

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    Well played.

Originally Posted by SoonernVolved View Post
    Yes. All the talking heads said losing Kirby Smart wouldn't hurt due to how hands on the defensive side Saban is.
    They dumb..!!!

Originally Posted by undark View Post
    The D Bama had on the field last night was one of the best in the history of college football. But even they can be exploited by a good offense. Especially so when they're on the field the whole damn game because their offense is so inept.
    Cue the list of all of the teams that held Clemson less than 35 points....... but, but Troy, GT and NC all held Clemson to less points than did that great Bama defense.

Is Saban also going to cry about getting the targeting rule straightened out? No? Oh yeah, that one involved one of his players leading with the crown of his helmet.

not even close

Their front 7 is good- easily best in college football- But entire defense is built to shut down run, and trouble QB into making quick(forced) throws

if you can pick up blocks or elusive QB, they're very beatable by the pass--

Man, I hope Stidham absolutely lights it up at Auburn. I'll be pulling for him to have a HUGE year against those vaunted SEC defenses. Give those ****ers a taste of what Big XII teams face on a weekly basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 users like acheman8's post: lauderdaleOU, SportyJames

Don't let the fact that the DB tackled the WR prior to any pick attempt cloud your judgement.
    2 users like williemayshayes's post: SoonernVolved, SportyJames

Saban sure didn't mind when Alabama ran virtually the same damn play to beat LSU in overtime in 2014
    http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...l-championship

SS
    Last edited by South slider; January 10th, 2017 at 07:31 PM.

Baloney. EVERY team, great or terrible, has their own slate of "pick plays" in their playbook. Everyone. The only way you truly "fix" the rule is to absolutely, totally, completely, and forever bar contact between a WR and a DB. That eliminates the whole notion of "selling" a route or "engaging" with the receiver. And then you immediately turn every play into a judgment call for either DPI or OPI, or given the predisposition to offensive football, establish that such contact is de-facto DPI.

You can't fix this any more than you can fix holding. And I've always thought fixing the subjective nature of holding was a lot more important than the pick routes. I've always thought how easy it would be for a corrupt official to push a game one way or the other by the selective call (or no-call) of holding, under the old axiom of "you could call holding on every play." Pick routes are, what, 15-25% (?? pick a percentage) of an overall offense, but DL's and OL's engage on *every* play.

Bama fans are all complaining about the pick play as if they didn't give up 150 more yards to Clemson.

Nick Saban is a whiner and a cheater.

The offense should only run routes away from each other so the defense won't trip over themselves.

If you don't like it as a defense, quit complaining and run a match up zone.

http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2...lay_shape.html

Originally Posted by ShreyK21 View Post
    https://youtu.be/UxM1cQR8dhY

Originally Posted by ShreyK21 View Post
    Do you kiss your mother with that mouth?

The following users like this post: XingTheRubicon

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    Saban is such a chode. this doesn't surprise me at all. he doesn't know how to handle losing. it's always someone else's fault when he
    fails. whiney lil ****.
    A Chode is a Pekingese/Pomeranian mix often found on Polish trawlers in the Baltic. They are known for their aggressive behavior despite their diminutive size. They seldom attack, but are fiercely defensive.

Originally Posted by OklahomaDave View Post
    Baloney. EVERY team, great or terrible, has their own slate of "pick plays" in their playbook. Everyone. The only way you truly "fix" the rule is to absolutely, totally, completely, and forever bar contact between a WR and a DB. That eliminates the whole notion of "selling" a route or "engaging" with the receiver. And then you immediately turn every play into a judgment call for either DPI or OPI, or given the predisposition to offensive football, establish that such contact is de-facto DPI.

You can't fix this any more than you can fix holding. And I've always thought fixing the subjective nature of holding was a lot more important than the pick routes. I've always thought how easy it would be for a corrupt official to push a game one way or the other by the selective call (or no-call) of holding, under the old axiom of "you could call holding on every play." Pick routes are, what, 15-25% (?? pick a percentage) of an overall offense, but DL's and OL's engage on *every* play.
    Yeah. You'll never legislate pick plays. Running players into traffic is part of the game. The New England Patriots are masters at it. Alabama rarely gets called for pass interference or illegal contact and they mug receivers. If they get away with that then I have no problem with using picks as a counter measure.

Originally Posted by OklahomaDave View Post

I agree with most of your premise, not the conclusion.

Yes, everyone has a pick play....it's still bull shit.

Yes, there is holding on every play, and yes, I've even seen it called (or not called) to make the higher ranked team get a little help from their conference officials. Holding is shit too...and there are rules against it. But these aren't mutually exclusive issues. It's not "you can only fix one problem". The evolution of the use of hands by a line-man in just my lifetime has been dramatic. When I was first taught how to block we had to grab our own jersey's and use only our fore arms and elbows, as any open hand to the defense from an offensive lineman was a "hold". By the time I left high school we could use open hands but inside the shoulder pads of both (the o-linemen had to touch the D-s chest area, not arms or shoulders and the o-lineman could have their arms out wide, they had to be inside his own shoulder pads).

I would love to see holding enforced, even have what is holding reevaluated, but that doesn't mean a pick play isn't bull-shit bush league. Again, I don't know how the pick play should be enforced. It's already against the rules, but going for the "rub" or accidentally running into players with 22 big bodies in a small area, happens.....intentionally and unintentionally.

That doesn't mean I don't think the pick play is bush league shit. I do, and it is.

To ultimately enforce any rule, the refs have to call it...and if they have to call it on every play until the teams stop doing it, then if that's what it takes, let them do it. If a player/team breaks the rules....call it every time.

Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post
    Alabama rarely gets called for pass interference or illegal contact and they mug receivers.
    Every damn time I watch an Alabama game... THIS.
    2 users like HorpelKrufkin's post: Section31, theend

not even close

Their front 7 is good- easily best in college football- But entire defense is built to shut down run, and trouble QB into making quick(forced) throws

if you can pick up blocks or elusive QB, they're very beatable by the pass--
    How do you think Baker would fare?

Is there a link somewhere to Nick Saban actually filing a complaint?

I googled it and didn't see anything.

Originally Posted by Drake View Post

There isn't one. the OP was a poor attempt at humor

True or not. New Alabama fight song.

Originally Posted by theend View Post
    There isn't one. the OP was a poor attempt at humor
    worked pretty well

He has complained about...

The no huddle
    Ole Miss pop pass
    SEC having a disadvantage to make playoffs, formal complaint that the SEC should get 2

These are all after losses. He is a damn good coach, but this dude is a whiny shit.
    The following users like this post: CarolinaSooner

Let's just say, it would not be unexpected

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    If they do that, it will most likely negatively impact their defense. Just ask Gary Patterson.
    Patterson's defense went South when Dick Bumpass retired. I don't understand why Patterson gets all the credit when Bumpass was his DC through most of his career.

Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    Patterson's defense went South when Dick Bumpass retired. I don't understand why Patterson gets all the credit when Bumpass was his DC through most of his career.
    With a name like Dick Bumpass you better be good at life.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    2 users like SportyJames's post: cccasooner2, SoonerWithoutaName

Originally Posted by cccasooner2 View Post
    I agree, but Patterson was fielding good defenses in the late 90s and early 2000s before he hired Bumpas; Bumpas just made them even better.

And these offenses do impact the defense.
    The following users like this post: cccasooner2

Originally Posted by gratefulRed View Post
    I wanted Clemson to win...but the "pick" type play is very very subjectively called and I would be pissed too....if my team was on the losing end of those kind of plays.
    Have to agree. Whether it's currently legal or not is no concern to me. If it isn't already illegal it should be and the first pick that ended up being a huge play for Clemson, that of course wasn't called, would have pissed me off if that were OU playing. If Bob morphed into Bobby Poopants I would be behind him even if it was unpleasant to be there.

All in all I couldn't be happier with the result.

Big 12 refs have been accustomed to pick plays the entire time Briles was at Baylor.

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    So he hasn't. This whole thread is a based on misinformation.

Landthieves strikes again

So he hasn't. This whole thread is a based on misinformation.

Landthieves strikes again