Saban has filed a formal complaint with NCAA and CFB coaches to change pic rule

Posted 166 day(s) ago by htownSOONER11740 Views 151 Replies
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    Dabo wins the biggest game of his life and he is worried about something a radio hack said months ago...ya better get thick skin quick there bub...you are on top and there are going to be lots of daggers coming your way.

Dabuu came across as ****ing little winner to me...
    Meh. Watson will be gone and Clemson will go back to being Clemson. Enjoy your year in the sun.
    The following users like this post: Soonerfan65

Originally Posted by Cooter Brown View Post
    Dabo wins the biggest game of his life and he is worried about something a radio hack said months ago...ya better get thick skin quick there bub...you are on top and there are going to be lots of daggers coming your way.

Dabuu came across as ****ing little winner to me...
    He couldn't think of another team with a pulse his team beat this year so he had to start looking at teams from last year....wtf....
    3 users like jumperstop's post: Bob, SA OSO, SoonerNow

this **** has literally utilized every recruiting and management loophole in the NCAA book and he loses and wants to change a rule. what a ****
    4 users like rangersooner13's post: boomersooner52, freedombird, JW3K, soonerguru

Think about this for a moment....the host of the XM college show was sitting by a longtime Bama fan last night. Early in the game when things were looking easy for Bama he says, "damn....how is Saban going to motivate these guys next year?"

Saban can't handle ACC or Big 12 speed.

Originally Posted by rangersooner13 View Post
    this **** has literally utilized every recruiting and management loophole in the NCAA book and he loses and wants to change a rule. what a ****
    i don't think Saban has really filed a formal complaint
    The following users like this post: Mephistopheles

Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
    Saban can't handle ACC or Big 12 speed.
    Honestly though, have you ever seen players on defense THAT fast? For much of the game, even on plays where they got burned on a pass, there were 6 guys there waiting to tackle the ball carrier. And when they weren't there, the speed they had to catch up with them was rather impressive.

Yeah, there were some missed tackles here and there and that's going to happen in a big game like this but I remember watching and thinking man those guys are fast.
    The following users like this post: Bob

Originally Posted by JKSooner View Post
    Well we all know the real reason Bama lost is because they weren't really up for the game since it wasn't a national championsh... oh wait.
    Because it wasn't the SuperBowl.
    4 users like SportyJames's post: BoomSoon2016, JKSooner, JW3K, Starscreacher

Originally Posted by theend View Post
    i've always used it as a synonym for taint. But through my years, it sounds like for the majority, it is graeful's definition
    yessir. I went with the "scientific" definition from urban dictionary but grateful is more in the neighborhood.

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Honestly though, have you ever seen players on defense THAT fast? For much of the game, even on plays where they got burned on a pass, there were 6 guys there waiting to tackle the ball carrier. And when they weren't there, the speed they had to catch up with them was rather impressive.

Yeah, there were some missed tackles here and there and that's going to happen in a big game like this but I remember watching and thinking man those guys are fast.
    Yep....looked like they had 14 players out there.
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN

That's what happens when most of the starting 11 on both sides of the ball for both teams are 4 or 5 star recruits. Recruiting does matter and with Oklahoma having about 17 4 star recruits in this current class, that could very well be what we point to in 2 or 3 years down the road for Oklahoma being in the national title game and even perhaps winning it.

Originally Posted by OUMick View Post
    Deshaun Watson disagrees with you.
    It was OBVIOUSLY designed to be a pick, but there was no picking going on on that play. The earlier TD WAS a pick. This one wasn't.
    2 users like Section31's post: Mephistopheles, Soonernation11

Originally Posted by Slobber View Post
    I am sure the Big XII-2 officials would call the pick, if it had happened.
    I think it was a Big 12 crew calling the game.

I saw them have an awful time catching guys on bubble screens in the open field. They are so good up front that they can put more guys in coverage and the QB has little time to stretch the field. You're seeing the effect of the cause.

Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
    It was OBVIOUSLY designed to be a pick, but there was no picking going on on that play. The earlier TD WAS a pick. This one wasn't.
    Watson said that "we knew they were gonna play cover zero inside the five and all we needed was good pick by Tate and Tate picked him and Renfrow got in the end zone"

Damn near every commentator agreed with Watson as well but what do they know most of them just played the game.

Clemson's cocaine tiger gave them a little pregame treat to speed things up

Watson said that "we knew they were gonna play cover zero inside the five and all we needed was good pick by Tate and Tate picked him and Renfrow got in the end zone"

Damn near every commentator agreed with Watson as well but what do they know most of them just played the game.
    Show the video where Tate picked or even touched the DB covering Renfrow.

Just watch the damn play. A pick infers someone impeded another's progress. The guy didn't even make contact with his own guy. Now, had the outside defender not tackled his guy, there would have been a pick. As it were, there was no pick in the actual play. No doubt it was a "pick play", but no pick occurred.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Show the video where Tate picked or even touched the DB covering Renfrow.
    Doesn't need to. The outside WR makes no attempt at a route and blocks the CB before they ball is thrown. An offensive PI could be called for either of those reasons. If you want obscure- an offensive holding could be called on the outside WR, but no one will ever call that.

Originally Posted by Silentsniper1516 View Post
    Doesn't need to. The outside WR makes no attempt at a route and blocks the CB before they ball is thrown. An offensive PI could be called for either of those reasons. If you want obscure- an offensive holding could be called on the outside WR, but no one will ever call that.
    True...but is that a pick? The guy I'm replying to is saying Tate picked the guy covering Renfro.

Also, one could say the Bama DB bear hugged the WR running at him and gave him no chance to run a route. It was a pick/rub play but nobody picked anybody. The DB slipped trying to get over top. My question is this....if pick was called, 10 seconds come off the clock? Or, since the clock was stopped prior to the snap, is it no runoff? If it's no runoff, it's a good call tho with little risk accept that of Watson throwing the ball too late, too high, throwing ball away if WR isn't open and clock expiring.

True...but is that a pick? The guy I'm replying to is saying Tate picked the guy covering Renfro.

Also, one could say the Bama DB bear hugged the WR running at him and gave him no chance to run a route. It was a pick/rub play but nobody picked anybody. The DB slipped trying to get over top. My question is this....if pick was called, 10 seconds come off the clock? Or, since the clock was stopped prior to the snap, is it no runoff? If it's no runoff, it's a good call tho with little risk accept that of Watson throwing the ball too late, too high, throwing ball away if WR isn't open and clock expiring.
    Just gonna leave this here. Looks almost like the same exact play. ND called for it and TD wiped out. Just depends on the ref calling it I guess.

"even if the DB engages the WR first, the WR must show that he is attempting to run a route"

2 users like OKIRISHFAN's post: RockFlagandEagle, Silentsniper1516

Just gonna leave this hear. Looks almost like the same exact play. ND called for it and TD wiped out. Just depends on the ref calling it I guess.

"even if the DB engages the WR first, the WR must show that he is attempting to run a route"

not even close to the same thing that won the game for clemson. atleast not on the winning TD. closer to the earlier TD
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

Saban should file a complaint with the NCAA about teams that cheat and pay players. Oh, wait a minute.

Saban is a ****ing hypocrite.

Just gonna leave this hear. Looks almost like the same exact play. ND called for it and TD wiped out. Just depends on the ref calling it I guess.

No doubt subjective. But how is a WR supposed to show he's running a route in a bear hug?

Big difference I see on first blush is #3 was a good 4-5 yards off the WR that engaged him. The Tate (I guess) was the width of the LOS away from that DB.

Calls really shouldn't be discussed from Bama side tho. Plenty of missed calls, especially early, on Bama. Total of 45 yards in the first qtr alone.

Just gonna leave this here. Looks almost like the same exact play. ND called for it and TD wiped out. Just depends on the ref calling it I guess.

Not even close to the same play in my opinion. The ND WR blocked deliberately right from the snap with no attempt at a route. ND had two WRs blocking down field.

In Clemson's case, the WR was making his cut on an inside slant route when the DB bear hugged him. If anything it should have been defensive holding or PI.

Originally Posted by coe8166 View Post
    I think it was a Big 12 crew calling the game.
    Yes, it was a Big XII-2 crew. Thus, a no call?
    The following users like this post: Section31

https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnat...terference-rub

Excerpt:

So Clemson took advantage, running what offensive coaches will call a “rub route,” or what defensive coaches will term a “pick play.”

Watson called it a “pick.” Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney called it a “rub.” But pick plays are not necessarily offensive pass interference, even though those terms are often used interchangeably.

And Clemson ran the play to perfection.

The outside receiver on the play runs a quick slant, and the outside cornerback initiates contact and grabs him. This forces the inside cornerback to take a circuitous route to cover the inside receiver, who initially fakes inside, only to quickly cut outside. He is wide open. The throw is perfect. Clemson dethrones the Tide.

If the outside receiver had initiated contact, or had not made an attempt to run a route, offensive pass interference could have been called. Heck, if the defender had not initially grabbed the outside receiver, it probably gets called.

4 users like SoonernVolved's post: JW3K, Mephistopheles, soonerfied, soonerguru

Originally Posted by Soonernation11 View Post
    Not even close to the same play in my opinion. The ND WR blocked deliberately right from the snap with no attempt at a route. ND had two WRs blocking down field.

In Clemson's case, the WR was making his cut on an inside slant route when the DB bear hugged him. If anything it should have been defensive holding or PI.
    I see in the ND game the minute the WR takes a step forward, the DB sticks out his arms and grabs the WR as he begins his run. I said it's almost the same play because the pick was called on that WR and he never had a chance to run a route because the DB grabbed him the second he took his first step.

And I'm not taking up for ND on this, and I'm not saying that last night should have been a penalty. I'm saying in both games the DB ( and maybe I need to go back and look at last night's game) engages the WR first.

I see in the ND game the minute the WR takes a step forward, the DB sticks out his arms and grabs the WR as he begins his run. I said it's almost the same play because the pick was called on that WR and he never had a chance to run a route because the DB grabbed him the second he took his first step.

And I'm not taking up for ND on this, and I'm not saying that last night should have been a penalty. I'm saying in both games the DB ( and maybe I need to go back and look at last night's game) engages the WR first.
    Did they call that one on the inside receiver or outside? It should have been called on the outside WR.

yep. I thought the same thing. With the exception of a couple of plays...there was virtually no "yards after catch". Seems when we see a WR catch a pass on us...it's like "oh shit....look how f'ing open he is. Nothing but green grass!!!"

Did they call that one on the inside receiver or outside? It should have been called on the outside WR.
    Good point. In video it says it was called on the inside receiver, that's who I was watching and who I thought they called it on (I've slept since then). But you're right, the outside WR does throw a pick in that the DB doesn't engage him and he is clearly not attempting to run a route. The inside guy however, gets locked up by the DB, which is why I thought it was very much like last night, i.e. the DB engaging the WR first. I'll go look at that in the real game and see who the call was on.

Good point. In video it says it was called on the inside receiver, that's who I was watching and who I thought they called it on (I've slept since then). But you're right, the outside WR does throw a pick in that the DB doesn't engage him and he is clearly not attempting to run a route. The inside guy however, gets locked up by the DB, which is why I thought it was very much like last night, i.e. the DB engaging the WR first. I'll go look at that in the real game and see who the call was on.
    Ya I don't remember either. I'm with you...the inside guy is almost identical to the Bama/Clemson play but the outside WR looks guilty. Arguing the pick play is like arguing holding...it happens and gets missed.

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    yessir. I went with the "scientific" definition from urban dictionary but grateful is more in the neighborhood.
    you may want to "fact check" me. I was simply going off of what my 17yr old son told me. He called his younger brother a Chode the other day and I asked him..."what the hell is a chode?" He cracked up and then told me. I actually have no idea if that is really what it is..but I think he looked it up on urban dictionary maybe? Either way...I got a good laugh out of it...then immediately told him to stop using that word at home...knowing of course that he still would.

I just watched the end of the game. You couldn't hear what the ref was saying (who was called on the penalty) but then after Herbstreit is saying that its was the inside guy, Procise, whom the DB engages first.

My only point was saying that I agree with you and remember this rule well because it was a big deal to me 2 years ago in that how does one run a route if the DB grabs him first?

this is not what I saw. I saw the outside WR basically throw himself into the legs of the DB, which caused the DB to put his hands down on the WR's back in order to gain balance and try to stand on his feet. At that point, the Bama DB getting blocked (literally) was now in the way of the other CB trying to cover Renfro in the flat.

Originally Posted by SoonernVolved View Post
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.sbnat...terference-rub

Excerpt:

So Clemson took advantage, running what offensive coaches will call a “rub route,” or what defensive coaches will term a “pick play.”

Watson called it a “pick.” Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney called it a “rub.” But pick plays are not necessarily offensive pass interference, even though those terms are often used interchangeably.

And Clemson ran the play to perfection.

The outside receiver on the play runs a quick slant, and the outside cornerback initiates contact and grabs him. This forces the inside cornerback to take a circuitous route to cover the inside receiver, who initially fakes inside, only to quickly cut outside. He is wide open. The throw is perfect. Clemson dethrones the Tide.

If the outside receiver had initiated contact, or had not made an attempt to run a route, offensive pass interference could have been called. Heck, if the defender had not initially grabbed the outside receiver, it probably gets called.

Rub/pick otherwise known as the Art Briles Special.

I'm glad Oklahoma has never won a title on dirty plays.

Originally Posted by gratefulRed View Post
    this is not what I saw. I saw the outside WR basically throw himself into the legs of the DB, which caused the DB to put his hands down on the WR's back in order to gain balance and try to stand on his feet. At that point, the Bama DB getting blocked (literally) was now in the way of the other CB trying to cover Renfro in the flat.
    They engage at the 1 and the Clemson WR doesn't "go down" (heh) low until he's across the GL.

Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    Rub/pick otherwise known as the Art Briles Special.

I'm glad Oklahoma has never won a title on dirty plays.
    That'd be like saying they should flag a guy because he REACHED for a facemask, but didn't actually grab it or acted like he was going to throw a punch, but didn't. They certainly attempted to pick/rub #2, but old boy simply slipped. I'm guessing we run plays like this A LOT.

Originally Posted by Section31 View Post
    That'd be like saying they should flag a guy because he REACHED for a facemask, but didn't actually grab it or acted like he was going to throw a punch, but didn't. They certainly attempted to pick/rub #2, but old boy simply slipped. I'm guessing we run plays like this A LOT.
    We ran one not nearly as flagrant against OSU, Dede was flagged for it, and had to kick a field goal.
    The following users like this post: Silentsniper1516

Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    We ran one not nearly as flagrant against OSU, Dede was flagged for it, and had to kick a field goal.
    Weird thing about Dede was he turned like an in route. He was open too. That was the most precise route run pick play I've ever seen.

Does Alabama have to play the Browns next...???
    The following users like this post: theend

LOL, the ****ing Bama fans have pinned the loss on the Big 12 officials supporting our style of football and negating their defense. They're mourning the death of defensive football.

I wish it had been us to do it on the big stage instead of the Sugar, but I love to see a strong offense persevere and wear down those scary good defenses. Makes me feel slightly better about the dismissive attitude toward teams that play offense.

The reality is that you need balance on both sides like Clemson. Fielding an NFL defense and a high school offense doesn't get it done.

Perhaps we need to change it to: Defense wins championships*.

Originally Posted by undark View Post
    LOL, the ****ing Bama fans have pinned the loss on the Big 12 officials supporting our style of football and negating their defense. They're mourning the death of defensive football.

I wish it had been us to do it on the big stage instead of the Sugar, but I love to see a strong offense persevere and wear down those scary good defenses. Makes me feel slightly better about the dismissive attitude toward teams that play offense.

The reality is that you need balance on both sides like Clemson. Fielding an NFL defense and a high school offense doesn't get it done.

Perhaps we need to change it to: Defense wins championships*.
    You mean like allowing a lot of their players to play like missiles?
    The following users like this post: lauderdaleOU

the only formal complaint that needs to be made is against Big 12 officiating as a whole. We all know it's God-awful.

You know the OU staff watching that game was like after every penalty or non-penalty and every review.

Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle View Post
    the only formal complaint that needs to be made is against Big 12 officiating as a whole. We all know it's God-awful.

You know the OU staff watching that game was like after every penalty or non-penalty and every review.
    Bama better be glad Big Xii officials let them rest about 2 times a series by reviewing plays that needed no review.
    7 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: Bob, Mephistopheles, ousooner_4, Section31, Silentsniper1516, SoonernVolved, Starscreacher

i thought the late hit was more egregious than the pick but thats just me.
    3 users like JBret's post: Clark W. Griswold, RockFlagandEagle, theend

I thought the officials did a nice job of giving Bama's big, tired defense a chance to catch their breath while killing Clemson's momentum on nearly every drive. And how many missed targeting calls? About 15?

It has been proven Saban cannot handle quick no huddle that make you defend the while field.

Originally Posted by htownSOONER View Post
    It has been proven Saban cannot handle quick no huddle that make you defend the while field.
    What if Saban headed to Denver (like lightly rumored)? Would Dabo jump after winning a NC? That would be damn interesting.

he should try to get going 2-15 on 3rd down banned as well.
    4 users like BleeOU1's post: Mephistopheles, ousooner_4, RockFlagandEagle, SoonernVolved