Final AP Poll....

Posted 72 day(s) ago 6282 Views 168 Replies
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3

Final AP Poll....

Lol at USC!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: tycat947

How many games does Michigan have to lose to fall out of the top 10?

They're at #10 now, so I'd guess two more would probably do it.

Is there a final Coaches Poll as well or do they not do that anymore?
    3 users like oklahoma_kracker's post: BoomSoon2016, laxtothemax12, RockFlagandEagle

No purple Kansas?
    The following users like this post: Camel at Sea

Surprised OU is ahead of Ohio St

3 users like Coach's post: FutureDC2853, louisianasooner, soonirvana

Originally Posted by Oklahomey View Post
    Lol at USC!
    Agreed. They are almost in "that's one reason I hate them" Notre Dame territory. As in a two loss domer team will always be ranked higher than most other one loss teams.
    4 users like The Tip's post: BoomSoon2016, HellVol, SoonerNow, SoonerSouthoftheRed

Hey, it's nice to see only 1 SEC team in the top 12.

Whole lot of dumb in that poll. Hard to know where to start.

USC gave up what.... 50 points against Penn State?
    5 users like chris9996's post: boomer8390, KCSooner, majsooner, SoonerNow, zcaa0g

They were just waiting for Washington to lose so they could bump up USC.

Still totally shocked that they moved us above tOSU
    3 users like ChpThril's post: Coach, Silentsniper1516, SoonerNow

OSU fans are rejoicing. They almost made the top 10.

Don't we track top 5 AP finishes and put it on t shirts or something?
    2 users like meoveryouxinfinity's post: Hammer2Bones, ousoonerman93

Originally Posted by BozTheGreat&Powerful View Post
    Weren't they #11 before the bowls? Stupid poll.

It's no big deal because it doesn't matter if you're to 3 or top 5, but it makes zero sense for USC to jump any team above them that also won. USC won by the closest margin. OU destroyed Auburn.

USC?

The following users like this post: SoonerSouthoftheRed

Rings commemorating this momentous feat are being made as we speak...

USC at 3 doesn't bother so much as Washington at 4 and Auburn at 24 does.

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    USC at 3 doesn't bother so much as Washington at 4 and Auburn at 24 does.
    I sorta agree. I still don't think USC should be that high.

I can hear it now next year.
    USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC
    The following users like this post: BoomSoon2016

Originally Posted by Final.Answer? View Post
    Highest paid coach at over $9 million per season. He could afford to bribe every AP voter.

Originally Posted by BlownGP View Post
    I sorta agree. I still don't think USC should be that high.

I can hear it now next year.
    USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC USC
    They might be AP #1 by preseason. We know where that gets you though.

The following users like this post: son of soundtrack

Originally Posted by ElGuapoSooner View Post
    Rings commemorating this momentous feat are being made as we speak...
    Pre-ordered your stOOPS, We Pretty Much Made the Top 10 Again! Eskimo Joe's T-shirt yet?
    2 users like Boomer Sooner's post: ElGuapoSooner, Greek Sooner

Originally Posted by Final.Answer? View Post
    Who should Michigan be behind? I'd argue they should be ahead of Wisconsin and Penn State for sure, and probably Washington and USC. The Pac 12's rankings are mystifying to me given their bowl performance. Those who check my posts know I'm the furthest thing from a homer, but it's frustrating that 52-49 is ridiculed when its the Big XII, but all of a sudden USC/Penn State are put on a pedestal for playing no defense.

Really, the USC ranking is baffling. Very nice finish including wins over Colorado, Washington, and PSU. But look at the margins of those games and it's not like they were dominating. Won by a combined 20 points. Plus they beat a bunch of garbage at the bottom of the Pac 12 by 3 scores. I'd take our finish over theirs.
    5 users like MI Sooner's post: Bear_Jew, BlownGP, BoomSoon2016, RockHard, Soonerfan65

Agreed that USC is a joke at #3, but honestly, tOSU behind us is also very debatable. But if this helps recruiting in any way, I'm endorsing it.
    The following users like this post: Ruf Nek

They're already rejoicing they're ranked ahead of OU on the "way too early poll" released by ESPN.

They're easily amused.

This poll is a prime example of voters voting who they think is better right now verses season long achievements. I have heard the arguments both ways and both have merits.

Personally, I weight how you are playing recently more than how you played in mid-September. I am glad the pollsters recognized OU got better. The OU team I watched in the Sugar Bowl would beat the tOSU team I watched in the Semi-Final.
    4 users like MisterX's post: MichSooner, RockHard, SA OSO, son of soundtrack

The media's love affair with USC is fascinating. I remember when John Robinson returned to USC in the 90s, the media made them preseason #1. They got blown out by UNC first game and finished 8-5 that year.

Final rankings should be a combination of early season performance, overall record, & late season performance with higher weighting to the later. How good was tOSU's win over OU given it was early season? OU just got beat by a very mediocre Houston team. Absent Bama, every team had very poor games this year. OU proceeds to improve week after week more so than just about any team in the country & dominated opponents at the end of the season. OU dominated OSU, & OSU blew out Colorado. OU dominated Auburn in a very similar fashion that Bama did at the end of the season & Auburn lost to Clemson by a handful of points early in the season. I have no problem OU being ahead of tOSU.

USC going from 10 to 3 from of a marginal win in a bowl game over a team from conference which has all sorts of questions about its strength is ridiculous. The Big10 gets the Big Circle Jerk conference of the year award. Sorry SEC, you'll probably get it back next year.
    3 users like JoeWashington's post: BoomSoon2016, gratefulRed, ousoonerman93

To add to this USC #3 argument....are they really 4 spots better than a team they beat at the buzzer?

When you only give up 50 in your bowl game you're deserving of a top 3 finish.

USC beat Penn St fairly on neutral field.
    2 users like DirtySouth_Sooner's post: Hastur, Trip

#5 lets OU tell its recruits that we are not that far off….and that if you come to OU it could put us closer to the top.

Considering the 1-2 start of the season a top 5 finish, a Big 12 and Sugar Bowl championship with a real chance to be better next season isn’t too bad.
    2 users like OU48A's post: Boomer6671, ousoonerman93

Whether you agree or disagree, I think that the pollsters are giving USC somewhat of a mulligan in that since the change in QB they are on a 9-1 roll (and that 1 loss with the new QB was only a 4 point loss). They beat Washington, Colorado and Penn State. Not a bad resume. And although many might think that some of those teams are overrated, and maybe they are, those are the rankings that have been assigned to those teams and USC beat them all.

I'm not saying that they deserve the #3 spot, just saying I think that's what the pollsters justification would be.

Originally Posted by JoeWashington View Post
    Final rankings should be a combination of early season performance, overall record, & late season performance with higher weighting to the later. How good was tOSU's win over OU given it was early season? OU just got beat by a very mediocre Houston team. Absent Bama, every team had very poor games this year. OU proceeds to improve week after week more so than just about any team in the country & dominated opponents at the end of the season. OU dominated OSU, & OSU blew out Colorado. OU dominated Auburn in a very similar fashion that Bama did at the end of the season & Auburn lost to Clemson by a handful of points early in the season. I have no problem OU being ahead of tOSU.

USC going from 10 to 3 from of a marginal win in a bowl game over a team from conference which has all sorts of questions about its strength is ridiculous. The Big10 gets the Big Circle Jerk conference of the year award. Sorry SEC, you'll probably get it back next year.

How do you weigh the combination of factors? And isn't that double/triple counting some items? Overall record contains early and late season performance. Putting a weight on late-season performance is inherently also putting a (negative) weight on early season performance.

I'd say you should just rank the resumes.

When looking for the #1 team, put the team there that achieved a record that was the hardest for a typical #1 team to achieve.

When looking for the #2 team, put the team there that achieved the record that was the hardest for a typical #2 team to achieve, etc.

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Whether you agree or disagree, I think that the pollsters are giving USC somewhat of a mulligan in that since the change in QB they are on a 9-1 roll (and that 1 loss with the new QB was only a 4 point loss). They beat Washington, Colorado and Penn State. Not a bad resume. And although many might think that some of those teams are overrated, and maybe they are, those are the rankings that have been assigned to those teams and USC beat them all.

I'm not saying that they deserve the #3 spot, just saying I think that's what the pollsters justification would be.
    I agree that's what's happening, but I think that's dumb. If you rank teams by who Vegas would favor, right now, LSU is probably massively underrated.

Originally Posted by meoveryouxinfinity View Post
    Don't we track top 5 AP finishes and put it on t shirts or something?
    Oklahoma ended in the top five for an NCAA-record 31st time. Ohio State is next with 25 appearances. It is also the 40th time that OU has finished in the top 10, which is second to Alabama (41).

The Sooners are also tied with Ohio State for the second-most number of Top 25 appearances in the final poll. Both are at 56 and are only behind Michigan (59).

http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...f87e01e03.html
    3 users like Boomer.....'s post: BlownGP, BoomSoon2016, OU48A

Originally Posted by Trip View Post
    Whole lot of dumb in that poll. Hard to know where to start.
    AP Poll has always inflated SUC's numbers. It's why they shouldn't be involved in Polls when it comes to a BCS / CFB Championship type of system.

Unfortunately I think if they change the current way 4 or 8 Teams are chosen....The AP will be involved.

Also the Coaches Poll Final would be nice to compare the AP
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner

How does a 3 loss team that did not win it's conference and suffered a 46 point loss to the final #2 team and won it's bowl game in the last minute end up at #3 in the final poll?

That's far more perplexing than OU being ranked ahead of tOSU in the final poll.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    How do you weigh the combination of factors? And isn't that double/triple counting some items? Overall record contains early and late season performance. Putting a weight on late-season performance is inherently also putting a (negative) weight on early season performance.

I'd say you should just rank the resumes.

When looking for the #1 team, put the team there that achieved a record that was the hardest for a typical #1 team to achieve.

When looking for the #2 team, put the team there that achieved the record that was the hardest for a typical #2 team to achieve, etc.
    I think that pretty much describes the BCS computer algorithms.

Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    How does a 3 loss team that did not win it's conference and suffered a 46 point loss to the final #2 team and won it's bowl game in the last minute end up at #3 in the final poll?

That's far more perplexing than OU being ranked ahead of tOSU in the final poll.
    Different QB. Beat the #4, #7 and #17 teams with that other QB. 9 game winning streak with a bowl win against the #7 team in the nation (winning the Rose Bowl against the #7 team by 1 point or 20 doesn't really matter. Big games are often decided in that manner).

Again, not saying I agree, just answering your question as to "why". This is what I think their justification is.

Ok....but how is Penn State 4 spots lower?

Different QB. Beat the #4, #7 and #17 teams with that other QB. 9 game winning streak with a bowl win against the #7 team in the nation (winning the Rose Bowl against the #7 team by 1 point or 20 doesn't really matter. Big games are often decided in that manner).

Again, not saying I agree, just answering your question as to "why". This is what I think their justification is.
    Lets be clear though....there really isn't any justification.
    2 users like StoopTroup's post: BoomSoon2016, tycat947

Perfect #5 in final poll so in 70 years we can pay some organization to name us national champs!
    The following users like this post: Widescreen

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Ok....but how is Penn State 4 spots lower?
    Hey, I get it. I'm not saying they're consistent. They seldom are. I guess I would say because PSU lost their final game. And in turn, your response would be, "yeah but so did tOSU and they're ahead of them" and my response would be, "yeah, but tOSU lost to the NC winners".

This is why I favor an expanded playoff with 8 teams. Get rid of the subjectivity involved.

My point is simply that if you're simply looking at how they're playing NOW, they beat two top 10 teams (1 top 5 team) and a top 20 team with the CURRENT roster with a change at the most important position on the field and they're taking that into account I'm sure.

Originally Posted by JoeWashington View Post

this is dead on the mark. Bullseye.
    The following users like this post: tycat947

Last edited by p23570; January 12th, 2017 at 09:31 AM. Reason: quoting is hard sometimes

Hey, I get it. I'm not saying they're consistent. They seldom are. I guess I would say because PSU lost their final game. And in turn, your response would be, "yeah but so did tOSU and they're ahead of them" and my response would be, "yeah, but tOSU lost to the NC winners".

This is why I favor an expanded playoff with 8 teams. Get rid of the subjectivity involved.

My point is simply that if you're simply looking at how they're playing NOW, they beat two top 10 teams (1 top 5 team) and a top 20 team with the CURRENT roster with a change at the most important position on the field and they're taking that into account I'm sure.
    That would not be my response. My response is they played on a neutral field and USC had to have a furious comeback to beat them at the buzzer. Is that a 4 spot difference? Just goes to show what we (OU/Notre Dame) fans benefit from and that's blue blood status. It's a joke and unfair to 95% of the rest of college football. Penn State got Sandusky'd twice this year.

Originally Posted by thefranchise17 View Post
    Perfect #5 in final poll so in 70 years we can pay some organization to name us national champs!
    I believe you are confusing OU for a Team in stoolwater.

OU is ahead of OSU b/c they beat us early, got depantsed late, and we rolled late. That one doesn't surprise me.

SC is the only really weird one.
    The following users like this post: ThreeHatBilly

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    USC beat Penn St fairly on neutral field.
    Neutral? Are you being sarcastic? It's like 15 miles from the usuc campus.
    4 users like sooneron's post: BoomSoon2016, DirtySouth_Sooner, MichSooner, Ruf Nek

Want more proof that the West Coast isn't a bit Gaga about SUC?

Westgate Las Vegas Superbook even has SUC OU and Ohio State as 8-1 odds of winning a National Championship in 2017. Now that may not mean anything as it's just gambling odds...but since Vegas gets so much of their action from the West Coast visitors...right now they are all putting money down for their beloved SUC. If they weren't...SUC wouldn't be at 8-1. They would be at 12-1 or less IMHO.