Final AP Poll....

Posted 168 day(s) ago by Oklahomey7893 Views 168 Replies
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

How the **** is USC #3?
    3 users like DirtyBob's post: EufaulaSooner, Soonerfan65, StoopTroup

Originally Posted by StoopTroup View Post
    Lets be clear though....there really isn't any justification.
    I don't have a problem with it on resume alone. In the end it doesn't really matter. In August they'll release a pre-season ranking filled with as much subjectivity as this one.

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    I don't have a problem with it on resume alone. In the end it doesn't really matter. In August they'll release a pre-season ranking filled with as much subjectivity as this one.
    Now you're onto why the AP did this...

They are trying to blimp up SUC's Pre-Season Rankings for their run to glory in 2017.

And that is why you should have a problem with it.

Originally Posted by DirtyBob View Post
    How the **** is USC #3?
    They finished on an 9 game win streak including beating the Big Ten champ and #5 team. They started the year 1-3 but clearly improved beyond that. I don't know that they are #3 but they are the hottest team in the nation outside of Clemson.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    OU is ahead of OSU b/c they beat us early, got depantsed late, and we rolled late. That one doesn't surprise me.

SC is the only really weird one.
    Early, middle, late meh ... I think if you have the same record, head-to-head should count for more. They got depantsed by the team that shocked the almighty Bama. And it wasn't like our game was close; we go rolled by tOSU.

What if the scenario is that we beat tOSU but end up with same record next year; wouldn't it suck if they took our spot for playoffs because the perception is they were playing better at end of season?

Originally Posted by OnlyOneBubbaMoses View Post
    They finished on an 9 game win streak including beating the Big Ten champ and #5 team. They started the year 1-3 but clearly improved beyond that. I don't know that they are #3 but they are the hottest team in the nation outside of Clemson.
    Baker Mayfield and I disagree.

Also SUC D might be worse then Mike's at the beginning of the Season this year.
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneBubbaMoses

Baker Mayfield and I disagree.
    OU is hot too, which is why they are ranked above Ohio State (who fell apart as the year went on). But the difference in USC and Oklahoma is that USC got better after finding a QB and Oklahoma got better after finding a CB. One position is typically more impactful than the other.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    Early, middle, late meh ... I think if you have the same record, head-to-head should count for more. They got depantsed by the team that shocked the almighty Bama. And it wasn't like our game was close; we go rolled by tOSU.

What if the scenario is that we beat tOSU but end up with same record next year; wouldn't it suck if they took our spot for playoffs because the perception is they were playing better at end of season?
    It would suck if anyone took our spot--but being objective, if they're playing better at the end, they should be in.

Originally Posted by DirtySouth_Sooner View Post
    Early, middle, late meh ... I think if you have the same record, head-to-head should count for more.
    Early, Middle, late all matter a lot. If a team starts 8-0 and loses its final 2 games because their star QB went down, they may not be as good as a team whose QB broke his leg in the second game and reeled off 8 straight afterward when stumbling upon a Heisman candidate wishbone QB.

This is playoff football now, so some of the regular season is throw away. That's what everyone wanted.

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

So much butt hurt and it is awesome. Darnold made a huge difference when they switched to him. They were playing some pretty solid ball by the end of the year.USC beat a two loss penn state in dramatic fashion and Oklahoma beat a four loss Auburn. USC was absolutely decimated by sanctions and they have bounced back. I think it's good for there to be some parity across the country with college football teams.

Really, nobody gives a shit who's two through 25. It's all about who's number one and it's not Oklahoma, it's not USC, it's not Alabama so complain about it all you want but it doesn't matter when you're not number one.

Early, Middle, late all matter a lot. If a team starts 8-0 and loses its final 2 games because their star QB went down, they may not be as good as a team whose QB broke his leg in the second game and reeled off 8 straight afterward when stumbling upon a Heisman candidate wishbone QB.

This is playoff football now, so some of the regular season is throw away. That's what everyone wanted.
    All those elements are important but what I posted was MORE. Perception of who the better team is should never count MORE than what happened on the field especially if they have the same record.

If we beat tOSU next year; they run the table; we lose to OSU but then beat them in title game. Does that mean the "hottier" and more deserving CFP team is tOSU (hypothetical: if one CFP spot available)?

But why is that Big Ten Champ 4 spots lower when USC needed a furious comeback and every second of that game to win by 3? That's my issue. Not where USC is but where Penn State isn't. I don't even care where OU is in this argument. They should be 3-5 and I'm cool with that.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    But why is that Big Ten Champ 4 spots lower when USC needed a furious comeback and every second of that game to win by 3? That's my issue. Not where USC is but where Penn State isn't. I don't even care where OU is in this argument. They should be 3-5 and I'm cool with that.
    Where would you put PSU then?
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

Those are good questions I don't have good answers to. I honestly think Penn State should be above Ohio State. Penn State at least had life in the bowl game. I can only guess they were drug down by a pretty over-rated Big Ten.

One spot lower than USC. Wherever I put USC, I'd have Penn State right behind them. Personally I wouldn't have USC at 3. 3-7 is pretty close to one another in my opinion. I'd probably go:

Washington 3
    Ohio St 4
    OU 5
    USC 6
    Penn St 7

If I thought USC was 5 then I'd go Penn St 6, OU 7. I don't think Ohio St and Washington should be booted after loosing to Clemson and Bama.
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN

I could even see USC 5, OU 6, Penn St 7. 4 spots is far too many tho. I'd probably take USC over OU right now but losing 3 and not winning their division/conference has to mean something.

One spot lower than USC. Wherever I put USC, I'd have Penn State right behind them. Personally I wouldn't have USC at 3. 3-7 is pretty close to one another in my opinion. I'd probably go:

Washington 3
    Ohio St 4
    OU 5
    USC 6
    Penn St 7

If I thought USC was 5 then I'd go Penn St 6, OU 7. I don't think Ohio St and Washington should be booted after loosing to Clemson and Bama.
    I get what you're saying. It's kind of like Bama being #2 because they got beat by Clemson and that's generally what happens, I think, that #1 and #2 just switch places based on who wins. I guess it's not too far off to do that with a major bowl winner and loser as well.

Sans the scandal, I've always liked PSU and I agree they got screwed this year so I have nothing against them.

Part of my point is that I guess I don't understand the complaining about USC. OU lost two games this season, one to a g5 program that finished 9-4 and that was WITH their Heisman finalist QB on the field. They have no top 10 wins and a bowl win against a team that finished barely in the top 25 with an 8-5 record. USC on the other hand, makes a change at QB and that guy reels off a 9-1 record with wins against a top 5 team, a top 10 team, and a top 20 team and two of those are conference champions, and some posters can't understand why some would rank them that high. Even if I don't agree and wouldn't put them there myself, I can UNDERSTAND why some would, just as I can understand OU being at #5 for the same reasons, i.e. they were playing better down the stretch despite two terrible early losses.

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    So much butt hurt and it is awesome. Darnold made a huge difference when they switched to him. They were playing some pretty solid ball by the end of the year.USC beat a two loss penn state in dramatic fashion and Oklahoma beat a four loss Auburn. USC was absolutely decimated by sanctions and they have bounced back. I think it's good for there to be some parity across the country with college football teams.

Really, nobody gives a shit who's two through 25. It's all about who's number one and it's not Oklahoma, it's not USC, it's not Alabama so complain about it all you want but it doesn't matter when you're not number one.
    Just knew the Board SUC Fan would be here ASAP. Always here to stir up the OU Fans.
    2 users like StoopTroup's post: EufaulaSooner, theend

or us, with a ten game winning streak and closing the season out against how many ranked opponents?
    But seeing you put it that way makes sense, still don't think they're #3.
    2 users like DirtyBob's post: OnlyOneBubbaMoses, OU48A

I get what you're saying. It's kind of like Bama being #2 because they got beat by Clemson and that's generally what happens, I think, that #1 and #2 just switch places based on who wins. I guess it's not too far off to do that with a major bowl winner and loser as well.

Sans the scandal, I've always liked PSU and I agree they got screwed this year so I have nothing against them.

Part of my point is that I guess I don't understand the complaining about USC. OU lost two games this season, one to a g5 program that finished 8-5 and that was WITH their Heisman finalist QB on the field. They have no top 10 wins and a bowl win against a team that finished barely in the top 25 with an 8-5 record. USC on the other hand, makes a change at QB and that guy reels off a 9-1 record with wins against a top 5 team, a top 10 team, and a top 20 team and two of those are conference champions, and some posters can't understand why some would rank them that high. Even if I don't agree and wouldn't put them there myself, I can UNDERSTAND why some would, just as I can understand OU being at #5 for the same reasons, i.e. they were playing better down the stretch despite two terrible early losses.
    My argument has nothing to do with OU. It's just the inconsistency of USC/Penn State. I don't like that. Same as I didn't like Ohio State getting in the playoffs when Penn State didn't. I wouldn't have cared if they both made it in.
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN

My argument has nothing to do with OU. It's just the inconsistency of USC/Penn State. I don't like that. Same as I didn't like Ohio State getting in the playoffs when Penn State didn't. I wouldn't have cared if they both made it in.
    Yeah, I know you're argument isn't about OU. Mine isn't about OU either. Mine is, how can you (generally speaking, not you specifically) have a problem with one team that is benefiting from using a certain criteria when you have no problem with another team benefiting by the same criteria and the former has a better resume than the latter?

And I hate everyone for making me defend USC

Trying to think like a poke fan is hard, but I have to believe somewhere a poke is trying to figure out how to brag about having two "1s" in their ranking.

Originally Posted by sooneron View Post
    Neutral? Are you being sarcastic? It's like 15 miles from the usuc campus.
    No kidding, the rose bowl has never been a neutral field for the LA Pac teams.

Get to stay at your own place, practice at your home fields/facilities, sleep in your own bed. Yep neutral field. LOL

Some people post a lot, but say very little. Post less, say more.
    2 users like JoeWashington's post: OU48A, OU_On_My_Mind

Originally Posted by JoeWashington View Post
    Some people post a lot, but say very little. Post less, say more.
    My bad.
    The following users like this post: JoeWashington

The top 4 should be the playoff teams. Regardless of what happens in the playoff, those are the top 4 teams determined by this ****ed up system of CFB.

USC is a joke at 3 btw, and I see SoCali douchebag is showing his true colors in this thread. Too bad his dad didn't wear a Trojan.

Originally Posted by Soonerinsocal View Post
    No kidding, the rose bowl has never been a neutral field for the LA Pac teams.

Get to stay at your own place, practice at your home fields/facilities, sleep in your own bed. Yep neutral field. LOL
    What about the fact that oftentimes over 50% of the crowd is rooting for the opponent, and its impact on crowd noise and officiating?

This is a seriously disturbing comment.

You're talking about a program and university that institutionally did everything in its power to cover up the decades-long sexual abuse of children by one of its own. As a human ****ing being, you should have everything against them.

I despise USC with every corpuscle, but I was rooting for them as if they were in Crimson and Cream. And I was not the least bit conflicted. Anyone rooting for Penn State from this point on, knowing what we know happened, is as bad as the perpetrators of that heinous crime in my book.
    2 users like CalSOONER's post: BobStoopsGinger, sovasooner

On permanent death penalty.
    3 users like CalSOONER's post: BobStoopsGinger, RockFlagandEagle, sovasooner

Originally Posted by oorah_okie View Post
    USC at 3 doesn't bother so much as Washington at 4 and Auburn at 24 does.
    Auburn is 24th because the Sean White injury. Healthy, they are 18th.

Originally Posted by CalSOONER View Post
    This is a seriously disturbing comment.

You're talking about a program and university that institutionally did everything in its power to cover up the decades-long sexual abuse of children by one of its own. As a human ****ing being, you should have everything against them.

I despise USC with every corpuscle, but I was rooting for them as if they were in Crimson and Cream. And I was not the least bit conflicted. Anyone rooting for Penn State from this point on, knowing what we know happened, is as bad as the perpetrators of that heinous crime in my book.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    Who should Michigan be behind? I'd argue they should be ahead of Wisconsin and Penn State for sure, and probably Washington and USC. The Pac 12's rankings are mystifying to me given their bowl performance. Those who check my posts know I'm the furthest thing from a homer, but it's frustrating that 52-49 is ridiculed when its the Big XII, but all of a sudden USC/Penn State are put on a pedestal for playing no defense.
    That's what I really don't understand. You see these other conferences or bowl games with high schools. But no one talks about those teams having no defense but when the Big 12 has a high scoring game it's because they don't play defense.

Like my LSU fans this morning. Saying that was a good game lastnight... O REALLY???!!! Because when a Big 12 teams scores that many points they must not have a defense right and you SEC homers don't like watching games like that?

Dusty D, just said he had USC at #3 last week before the poll even came out. Hardly a West Coast bias.

OU suffers from higher expectations than most. They beat Penn State on a last second field goal and it was their crowning achievement. If OU needed a last second FG to beat Penn State, the narrator be would be how Penn State closed the gap with OU. I'm just not impressed with a USC team that couldn't defend a pedestrian Penn State offense. If USC allowed Penn State to score 40 on them, how much would OU score on them?
    The following users like this post: BobStoopsGinger

Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post
    OU suffers from higher expectations than most. They beat Penn State on a last second field goal and it was their crowning achievement. If OU needed a last second FG to beat Penn State, the narrator be would be how Penn State closed the gap with OU. I'm just not impressed with a USC team that couldn't defend a pedestrian Penn State offense. If USC allowed Penn State to score 40 on them, how much would OU score on them?
    Probably about the same amount. Maybe less as well. These comparative scores are so stupid. I guess since Clemson only scored 19 on Auburn and OU scored 35 on the same team that we can surmise that OU would have scored almost twice as many points as did Clemson against Bama, so........about 67 points? Sound about right?

USC lost three ****ing games.

Dusty D, just said he had USC at #3 last week before the poll even came out. Hardly a West Coast bias.
    Coming from an OU player that played Defense, can't recognize that USC can't play it...

The following users like this post: BobStoopsGinger

lol at THE ohio st univ haha

Originally Posted by SoonerTech View Post
    OU 3rd in coaches
    Coaches Poll
    RK TEAM REC PTS TREND
    1 Clemson(60) 14-1 1500 —
    2 Alabama 14-1 1440 —
    3 Oklahoma 11-2 1308 —
    4 Washington 12-2 1265 —
    5 USC 10-3 1263 —
    6 Ohio State 11-2 1186 —
    7 Penn State 11-3 1123 —
    8 Florida State 10-3 1102 —
    9 Wisconsin 11-3 1044 —
    10 Michigan 10-3 986 —
    11 Oklahoma State 10-3 922 —
    12 Stanford 10-3 791 —
    13 Florida 9-4 673 —
    14 LSU 8-4 641 —
    15 Colorado 10-4 634 —
    16 Virginia Tech 10-4 632 —
    17 West Virginia 10-3 522 —
    18 Western Michigan 13-1 449 —
    19 South Florida 11-2 362 —
    20 Louisville 9-4 338 —
    21 Utah 9-4 303 —
    22 Auburn 8-5 230 —
    23 Miami 9-4 229 NR
    24 Tennessee 9-4 211 NR
    25 San Diego State 11-3 102 NR

His Royal Highness the Honorable King of LandThieves Esq. III

Originally Posted by D1ehard5oon3r View Post
    Coming from an OU player that played Defense, can't recognize that USC can't play it...

OU was obliterated at home by Ohio State who was absolutely blank in the playoffs. Houston? Bad team. OU also gave up over 800 yards to a really really bad Texas Tech team. Ironically, the USC defense stepped up to make the play of the game that put them in the position to win. Oklahoma and USC were hot at the end but USC's win was a little more dramatic over a better and higher ranked opponent.

Didn't read the entire thread yet... but anyone else see WVU ahead of Miami and chuckle??

I believe you are confusing OU for a Team in Tuscaloosa.
    Fify

Oklahoma Football
    Oklahoma Football – Verified account [email protected]_Football

No program has finished in the AP Top 5 more than the #Sooners.

More ➡️ http://bit.ly/OUapHistory
    Embedded image
    3:12 PM - 10 Jan 2017
    309 RETWEETS356 LIKES

Saw this as well:

Oklahoma Football
    22m22 minutes ago
    Oklahoma Football [email protected]_Football
    @TommyLambertOKC 7 of the 30 Top 5 finishes have come under Stoops. He also has three No. 6 finishes, giving him 10 Top 6's in 18 years.

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    Who should Michigan be behind? I'd argue they should be ahead of Wisconsin and Penn State for sure, and probably Washington and USC. The Pac 12's rankings are mystifying to me given their bowl performance. Those who check my posts know I'm the furthest thing from a homer, but it's frustrating that 52-49 is ridiculed when its the Big XII, but all of a sudden USC/Penn State are put on a pedestal for playing no defense.

Really, the USC ranking is baffling. Very nice finish including wins over Colorado, Washington, and PSU. But look at the margins of those games and it's not like they were dominating. Won by a combined 20 points. Plus they beat a bunch of garbage at the bottom of the Pac 12 by 3 scores. I'd take our finish over theirs.
    Well they've lost like 3 in a row so I guess it's more about timing. We'd be out of the top 25 with that on our tombstone.

[QUOTE=SoCaliSooner;3226554]OU was obliterated at home by Ohio State who was absolutely blank in the playoffs. Houston? Bad team. OU also gave up over 800 yards to a really really bad Texas Tech team. Ironically, the USC defense stepped up to make the play of the game that put them in the position to win. Oklahoma and USC were hot at the end but USC's win was a little more dramatic over a better and higher ranked opponent.[/QUOTE

It just west coast writers needed some team to root for. Beating Penn State with a last second FG should count for much. The funny thing is if they lost be a FG they would be lucky to make the top 15. It doesn't matter. Just the AP.

Want more proof that the West Coast isn't a bit Gaga about SUC?

Westgate Las Vegas Superbook even has SUC OU and Ohio State as 8-1 odds of winning a National Championship in 2017. Now that may not mean anything as it's just gambling odds...but since Vegas gets so much of their action from the West Coast visitors...right now they are all putting money down for their beloved SUC. If they weren't...SUC wouldn't be at 8-1. They would be at 12-1 or less IMHO.

And we owe both of those teams a whoopin!

Originally Posted by SoCaliSooner View Post
    OU was obliterated at home by Ohio State who was absolutely blank in the playoffs. Houston? Bad team. OU also gave up over 800 yards to a really really bad Texas Tech team. Ironically, the USC defense stepped up to make the play of the game that put them in the position to win. Oklahoma and USC were hot at the end but USC's win was a little more dramatic over a better and higher ranked opponent.
    Because the game was so close, say USC loses. Where do the sit?