Final AP Poll....

Posted 255 day(s) ago by Oklahomey11596 Views 168 Replies
Results 101 to 150 of 169
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
  1. #101
    Anyone can win a national championship. OU made history this year!
    4 users like SoonerTech's post: BoomSoon2016, OnlyOneBubbaMoses, SportyJames, thurman murman


  2. #102
    http://collegepolltracker.com/football/team/usc/2016

    This is the list of the voters that put USC up to #3. Looks like most of them had them ranked at #8 or 9 the previous poll. The two jokers that had them at #4 on December 4th moved them up to 3.

    Here's some other odd voters:
    Bill Landis of the Cleveland Plain Dealer has USC at 3 and Penn State at 4--both 3 loss teams....and he has OU at #10 behind 5 - 3 loss teams!

    Ed Johnson of the Albuquerque Journal has Penn State at 4 and tOSU at 8.

    Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune had OU at #9 going into bowl season....and had OU at #9 after bowl season.

    Josh Kendall of The State (Columbia, SC) had OU at #8 going into bowl season...and ranked OU #9 after bowl season. He also had Penn State at #2 going into bowl season and dropped them down to #4.

    Keith Sargeant of Asbury Park Press in NJ, Kept OU at #7 for both votes. He had tOSU at #2 going into bowl season, and dropped them to #5. Penn State at 4, Michigan at 9 and Wisky at 10. Love the Big 10 much?

    Matt McCoy of a tv station in Columbus had Auburn at #15 going into bowl season, dropped them out of the rankings after. Maybe why he only moved OU from #7 to #6. I guess if we would have won a 50 point a team shootout like USC it would have justified moving us up 5 place like he did with USC. Instead we dominate them so they must not be any good, so we don't move.
    The following users like this post: Widescreen


  3. #103
    In all fairness, dominating an 8-4 team that is ranked #14 (and BEHIND you in the rankings) is not the same thing as beating, albeit barely, an 11-2, 5th ranked, Conference champion that is 4 spots ABOVE you.

  4. #104
    Widescreen's Avatar
    Posts
    3,770
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Allen, TX

    It's really ironic to me when perception goes against you for blowing a team out. Back in 2008 when TTU was undefeated and ranked #1 and we beat them like a drum, one of UT's arguments for why they should be in the CCG was that clearly TTU isn't any good since OU beat them so bad. The controversy would've been actually lessened if we'd only beaten them by a field goal. Bizarre.
    The following users like this post: ChpThril


  5. #105
    Originally Posted by BermudaSooner View Post
    http://collegepolltracker.com/football/team/usc/2016

    This is the list of the voters that put USC up to #3. Looks like most of them had them ranked at #8 or 9 the previous poll. The two jokers that had them at #4 on December 4th moved them up to 3.

    Here's some other odd voters:
    Bill Landis of the Cleveland Plain Dealer has USC at 3 and Penn State at 4--both 3 loss teams....and he has OU at #10 behind 5 - 3 loss teams!

    Ed Johnson of the Albuquerque Journal has Penn State at 4 and tOSU at 8.

    Eric Hansen of the South Bend Tribune had OU at #9 going into bowl season....and had OU at #9 after bowl season.

    Josh Kendall of The State (Columbia, SC) had OU at #8 going into bowl season...and ranked OU #9 after bowl season. He also had Penn State at #2 going into bowl season and dropped them down to #4.

    Keith Sargeant of Asbury Park Press in NJ, Kept OU at #7 for both votes. He had tOSU at #2 going into bowl season, and dropped them to #5. Penn State at 4, Michigan at 9 and Wisky at 10. Love the Big 10 much?

    Matt McCoy of a tv station in Columbus had Auburn at #15 going into bowl season, dropped them out of the rankings after. Maybe why he only moved OU from #7 to #6. I guess if we would have won a 50 point a team shootout like USC it would have justified moving us up 5 place like he did with USC. Instead we dominate them so they must not be any good, so we don't move.
    It doesn't matter. Who cares is a 3 loss team gets voted in the top 5? It doesn't matter where OU finishes in the rankings, we consider a 3 loss team garbage.

  6. #106
    Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    It's really ironic to me when perception goes against you for blowing a team out. Back in 2008 when TTU was undefeated and ranked #1 and we beat them like a drum, one of UT's arguments for why they should be in the CCG was that clearly TTU isn't any good since OU beat them so bad. The controversy would've been actually lessened if we'd only beaten them by a field goal. Bizarre.
    To me it has nothing to do with perception or margin of victory.

    How many fans on here stated before the game, and rightfully so, that it was lose lose? Why did they say that? Because beating an 8-4 team, ANY 8-4 team is not usually deemed as a great accomplishment. It could have been ANY team with a mediocre helmet, perception wise, and the results would still be the same. For example, beating an 8-4 Michigan (although I would argue their helmet is not mediocre, especially right now) team, would have had the same results.

    OU did what it was supposed to do. They beat a lower ranked team than themselves. Good win, especially in the manner in which they did it. But don't blame the media because they didn't see it as some huge accomplishment. Most OU fans BEFORE the game saw it for what it truly was, so even the "perception" was one that came from the fans themselves.

  7. #107
    Deep down I didn't think OU would win..So I couldn't care less what voters think after the game

  8. #108
    Quik Sand's Avatar
    Posts
    7,898
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Quik_Sand on PS4

    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    To me it has nothing to do with perception or margin of victory.

    How many fans on here stated before the game, and rightfully so, that it was lose lose? Why did they say that? Because beating an 8-4 team, ANY 8-4 team is not usually deemed as a great accomplishment. It could have been ANY team with a mediocre helmet, perception wise, and the results would still be the same. For example, beating an 8-4 Michigan (although I would argue their helmet is not mediocre, especially right now) team, would have had the same results.

    OU did what it was supposed to do. They beat a lower ranked team than themselves. Good win, especially in the manner in which they did it. But don't blame the media because they didn't see it as some huge accomplishment. Most OU fans BEFORE the game saw it for what it truly was, so even the "perception" was one that came from the fans themselves.
    What's your top 5 final rankings for this season?

  9. #109
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    In all fairness, dominating an 8-4 team that is ranked #14 (and BEHIND you in the rankings) is not the same thing as beating, albeit barely, an 11-2, 5th ranked, Conference champion that is 4 spots ABOVE you.
    No it's not the same thing, it's more impressive.

  10. #110
    Originally Posted by Quik Sand View Post
    What's your top 5 final rankings for this season?
    1. Clemson
    2. FSU
    3. USC
    4. OU
    5. Bama

    If you'll notice, my criteria was based on who won their bowl matchups in MAJOR bowls and how they were playing at the end of the year. I don't care about the others. I think at the end of the year, I think that's the most important. The only reason I put Bama at 5 is because they lost their bowl game and I wasn't that impressed with their offense in either playoff game.

    I think Washington is somewhat of a sham.
    And I wouldn't have a problem mixing all of those between 2-4 up. I just, as I've stated earlier, give USC credit for their resume as of late.

  11. #111
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    1. Clemson
    2. FSU
    3. USC
    4. OU
    5. Bama

    If you'll notice, my criteria was based on who won their bowl matchups in MAJOR bowls and how they were playing at the end of the year. I don't care about the others. I think at the end of the year, I think that's the most important. The only reason I put Bama at 5 is because they lost their bowl game and I wasn't that impressed with their offense in either playoff game.

    I think Washington is somewhat of a sham.
    And I wouldn't have a problem mixing all of those between 2-4 up. I just, as I've stated earlier, give USC credit for their resume as of late.

    That's just stupid. Bama played in the Championship game and barely lost, they are #2. Clemson kicked the shit out of the program that kicked the shit out of us.... they are obviously #1. Washington and OSU should be 3 or 4, take your pick. OU #5, and IDGAF about the rest...
    2 users like HartRod's post: ChpThril, OnlyOneBubbaMoses

    Last edited by HartRod; January 12th, 2017 at 09:30 AM.

  12. #112
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    1. Clemson
    2. FSU
    3. USC
    4. OU
    5. Bama

    If you'll notice, my criteria was based on who won their bowl matchups in MAJOR bowls and how they were playing at the end of the year. I don't care about the others. I think at the end of the year, I think that's the most important. The only reason I put Bama at 5 is because they lost their bowl game and I wasn't that impressed with their offense in either playoff game.

    I think Washington is somewhat of a sham.
    And I wouldn't have a problem mixing all of those between 2-4 up. I just, as I've stated earlier, give USC credit for their resume as of late.



    But you were impressed with USC's defense??? Just because USC beat your team, doesn't elevate them to #3. No way you should have them rated over OU unless you are a ND homer. If their early season losses don't can't, neither do ours. Either way, we should be ranked ahead of them...


    EDIT: OBTW, in that 9 game magical win streak by USC, only 3 of the 9 teams had a winning record and the overall win-loss record was 48-56... #3 my ass...
    Last edited by HartRod; January 11th, 2017 at 01:56 PM.

  13. #113
    Yuck Fu's Avatar
    Posts
    8,109
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Ah so, mutha fucka.

    Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    What about the fact that oftentimes over 50% of the crowd is rooting for the opponent, and its impact on crowd noise and officiating?

    When the LA teams play it's at worst a 50-50 split. They are never outnumbered terribly.


    the difference is that the LA teams are playing in town. No travel, much more comfortable with their surroundings. Most team members have always played in the Rose Bowl before. The weather is always conducive to their style of play.


    And as one former OU All American told me about OU-Texas. "Deep down you know you are playing Texas in Texas. It matters." The B1g schools know they are playing the SoCal schools in their back yard (and in the case of UCLA, their home field. It matters.
    The following users like this post: HartRod


  14. #114
    Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    That's just stupid. Bama played in the Championship game AND kicked the shit out of the program that kicked the shit out of us.... they are #2. Washington and OSU should be 3 or 4, take your pick. OU #5, and IDGAF about the rest...
    I'm fine with that. That's why I say it's all subjective and why I don't get my panties in a wad about it. But I'm open to listening to criticisms of it because, there is NO ONE WAY to do it. It's all subjective.

    I like the idea that the teams I chose won their games Clemson beat #2 (now), FSU beat # 10 (now) Michigan, USC beat #7 (now), OU beat #24 (now) and Bama lost.

    Maybe you're right, maybe tOSU should be up higher up. but I would like to reward the teams that won games against highly ranked teams. The only one getting benefit from me in that is OU who didn't beat a top 10 team so maybe tOSU should get their spot?

  15. #115
    Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    But you were impressed with USC's defense??? Just because USC beat your team, doesn't elevate them to #3. No way you should have them rated over OU unless you are a ND homer. If their early season losses don't can't, neither do ours. Either way, we should be ranked ahead of them...


    EDIT: OBTW, in that 9 game magical win streak by USC, only 3 of the 9 teams had a winning record and the overall win
    Yes, I'm a homer. That's why Duke and the other 8 teams that beat ND are so highly ranked in my ranking. C'mon man. I've already said in numerous posts above and in another thread. USC had the better resume. Yeah, I'm not high on Washington personally, BUT, according to the playoff committee, USC beat conference champ Washington #4, # 17 coloardo and #7 PSU. OU didn't beat a single top 10 team during the season nor in its bowl game. So yes, I like USC ahead of OU and just in case you didn't notice, I am giving OU a pass on a TERRIBLE Houston loss that is a g5 school and tOSU, simply because they won their last 10 including a bowl game. That's pretty fair I think.
    Last edited by p23570; January 12th, 2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: quoting is hard when you're irish

  16. #116
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Yes, I'm a homer. That's why Duke and the other 8 teams that beat ND are so highly ranked in my ranking. C'mon man. I've already said in numerous posts above and in another thread. USC had the better resume. Yeah, I'm not high on Washington personally, BUT, according to the playoff committee, USC beat conference champ Washington #4, # 17 coloardo and #7 PSU. OU didn't beat a single top 10 team during the season nor in its bowl game. So yes, I like USC ahead of OU and just in case you didn't notice, I am giving OU a pass on a TERRIBLE Houston loss that is a g5 school and tOSU, simply because they won their last 10 including a bowl game. That's pretty fair I think.


    oSu and WV were both ranked in the top 10 when we beat their a$$....


    USC's win streak: ONLY 3 of the 9 teams had a winning record and the overall win-loss record was 48-56


    PSU gave that game away and oSu pounded the Colorado team that SC barely beat by 4 pts...

    OU > USC this year....
    Last edited by p23570; January 12th, 2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: quoting is hard sometimes

  17. #117
    Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    oSu and WV were both ranked in the top 10 when we beat their a$$....


    USC's win streak: ONLY 3 of the 9 teams had a winning record and the overall win
    [B][/Man, I can't win for losing on this board. I criticize OU, fairly I believe and get mobbed. I give the same team who didn't beat a team THAT FINISHED in the top 10 (which is all that really matters. Heck, Houston started in the top 10 didn't they?). AND, they had the lowest ranked bowl opponent with the "losingest" record in the major bowls and yet I still put them in my top 5 and that's not good enough either because I guess they deserve to be third. Go figure. B]
    Last edited by p23570; January 12th, 2017 at 09:36 AM. Reason: do you have a learning disability when it comes to quoting?

  18. #118
    Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    oSu and WV were both ranked in the top 10 when we beat their a$$....


    USC's win streak: ONLY 3 of the 9 teams had a winning record and the overall win-loss record was 48-56


    PSU gave that game away and oSu pounded the Colorado team that SC barely beat by 4 pts...

    OU > USC this year....
    It only matters where you finish, not where you played them. I guess we should just start awarding trophies for marathons, car races, track and field, etc. etc. based on who is highest half way through the event?
    Last edited by p23570; January 12th, 2017 at 09:37 AM. Reason: you should quit now

  19. #119
    Quik Sand's Avatar
    Posts
    7,898
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Quik_Sand on PS4

    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    1. Clemson
    2. FSU
    3. USC
    4. OU
    5. Bama

    If you'll notice, my criteria was based on who won their bowl matchups in MAJOR bowls and how they were playing at the end of the year. I don't care about the others. I think at the end of the year, I think that's the most important. The only reason I put Bama at 5 is because they lost their bowl game and I wasn't that impressed with their offense in either playoff game.

    I think Washington is somewhat of a sham.
    And I wouldn't have a problem mixing all of those between 2-4 up. I just, as I've stated earlier, give USC credit for their resume as of late.
    That's a different way to look at it.

    1. Clemson
    2. Alabama
    3. Ohio st.
    4. Washington
    5. Oklahoma

    I think Clemson, Alabama, ohio st, and Washington would beat Auburn in a bowl game now. Two of those teams did beat Auburn already. I leave ohio st ahead of OU since they played at OU and dominated. Yeah OU might beat them now, but I go off of what happened when they played since there is no opportunity for OU to play them now. I won't penalize ohio st and washington for losing their playoff games as I think they win their bowl games if not in the playoffs facing clemson and Alabama.
    3 users like Quik Sand's post: ChpThril, OKIRISHFAN, OnlyOneBubbaMoses


  20. #120
    Originally Posted by Quik Sand View Post
    That's a different way to look at it.

    1. Clemson
    2. Alabama
    3. Ohio st.
    4. Washington
    5. Oklahoma

    I think Clemson, Alabama, ohio st, and Washington would beat Auburn in a bowl game now. Two of those teams did beat Auburn already. I leave ohio st ahead of OU since they played at OU and dominated. Yeah OU might beat them now, but I go off of what happened when they played since there is no opportunity for OU to play them now. I won't penalize ohio st and washington for losing their playoff games as I think they win their bowl games if not in the playoffs facing clemson and Alabama.
    And I'm cool with that. The way I'm looking at it, you've got the best of the best, in most cases, playing in the bowl games and if you win those games, you deserve to be ranked higher. OU/tOSU is kind of strange because tOSU did beat OU soundly at the beginning of the season but then did get hammered by Clemson (which isn't huge) but again, I'd rather reward those teams that beat the best of the best (at least according to rankings).

    But as I said, it's all subjective. People use different criteria and I'm cool with that.

    My whole point has been nothing but, I don't understand the "outrage" concerning USC. I hate USC. But they beat 3 top ranked teams at the end of the year and that should count for something (and yes, I know they have one more loss than the other teams but I think we can all agree that they're a different team now with a different QB).

  21. #121
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    And I'm cool with that. The way I'm looking at it, you've got the best of the best, in most cases, playing in the bowl games and if you win those games, you deserve to be ranked higher. OU/tOSU is kind of strange because tOSU did beat OU soundly at the beginning of the season but then did get hammered by Clemson (which isn't huge) but again, I'd rather reward those teams that beat the best of the best (at least according to rankings).

    But as I said, it's all subjective. People use different criteria and I'm cool with that.

    My whole point has been nothing but, I don't understand the "outrage" concerning USC. I hate USC. But they beat 3 top ranked teams at the end of the year and that should count for something (and yes, I know they have one more loss than the other teams but I think we can all agree that they're a different team now with a different QB).
    My issue with USC is that they were absolutely wiped off the field by Alabama.. tOSU beat us in Norman, but Bama made USC look like Cal Poly Tech (55-6)
    The following users like this post: DirtySouth_Sooner


  22. #122
    Originally Posted by BoomSoon2016 View Post
    My issue with USC is that they were absolutely wiped off the field by Alabama.. tOSU beat us in Norman, but Bama made USC look like Cal Poly Tech (55-6)
    My "issue" if you want to call it that at all, is that OU was more than "beaten" in Norman, they were dominated and that was WITH their Heisman QB on the field (he was also on the field for the Houston game). When Bama played USC they had a totally different QB and it's obvious with the later wins, that was the missing piece. And in the end, that QB had better wins than did OU did. But I would still place OU up high because they did look good down the stretch.

  23. #123
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    My "issue" if you want to call it that at all, is that OU was more than "beaten" in Norman, they were dominated and that was WITH their Heisman QB on the field (he was also on the field for the Houston game). When Bama played USC they had a totally different QB and it's obvious with the later wins, that was the missing piece. And in the end, that QB had better wins than did OU did. But I would still place OU up high because they did look good down the stretch.
    USC had 3 losses to our 2, and our tOSU loss was "less ugly" than their Bama loss..

    I completely agree that they are a different team with the new QB, but you can't ignore USC's full resume, then judge OU on its full body of work
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN


  24. #124
    ChpThril's Avatar
    Posts
    13,134
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Nearest Lake Available

    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    My "issue" if you want to call it that at all, is that OU was more than "beaten" in Norman, they were dominated and that was WITH their Heisman QB on the field (he was also on the field for the Houston game). When Bama played USC they had a totally different QB and it's obvious with the later wins, that was the missing piece. And in the end, that QB had better wins than did OU did. But I would still place OU up high because they did look good down the stretch.
    But if you use that argument, do you not have to do the same for OU being without (well, injured) their Biletnikoff winning WR? Totally different team with him vs. without him.

  25. #125
    meandmybutt's Avatar
    Posts
    12,650
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Antonio

    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    In all fairness, dominating an 8-4 team that is ranked #14 (and BEHIND you in the rankings) is not the same thing as beating, albeit barely, an 11-2, 5th ranked, Conference champion that is 4 spots ABOVE you.
    Same Auburn that almost beat Clemson this year. Beat LSU.

    Losses were Bama, Clemson, A&M and Georgia.....they had boatloads of injuries or might have beaten A&M and Georgia. Until Bowl season, Auburn was widely considered the second best team in the SEC.

    It was a damn fine win against a healthy Auburn team. Anyone who argues it wasnt is a biased ****.

    Put your crimson colored glasses on so you can see things more clearly.

  26. #126
    Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post
    Same Auburn that almost beat Clemson this year. Beat LSU.

    Losses were Bama, Clemson, A&M and Georgia.....they had boatloads of injuries or might have beaten A&M and Georgia. Until Bowl season, Auburn was widely considered the second best team in the SEC.

    It was a damn fine win against a healthy Auburn team. Anyone who argues it wasnt is a biased ****.
    Losses against Georgia and TAM are part of your criteria? Okay?

    Anyone with eyeballs could see that Auburn's offense was terrible. That's what I don't get about some fans. Out of one side of their mouths they talk about how terrible the offenses of the SEC are and then you play one of the WORST of those offenses and want to talk about what a great win it was.

    Again if some team like Texas, or more precisely, a team out side the Big 12, played an 8-4 team from another conference that was second in that conference, nobody would say anything.

    Heck, ND beat a 8-4 LSU in 2014 playing two different QB's. I don't remember being all pumped about that one. Why? Because they were 8-4!!! Good win and a great way to end a season, but hardly something to boast about.

    If USC beat 8-4 Auburn that had an incompetent QB and was unable to score, you'd be singing a different tune.

    Again, good win. Great way to end the season.

  27. #127
    Originally Posted by ChpThril View Post
    But if you use that argument, do you not have to do the same for OU being without (well, injured) their Biletnikoff winning WR? Totally different team with him vs. without him.
    I disagree for two reasons: 1) WB was playing and 2) QB is waaaaaaay more important position than that.

    And I don't really have an "issue", I've already noted that I'm giving OU a pass for those losses anyway. But if anyone deserves a pass its the team playing with a different QB that had better WINS not losses. Beating the #5, 10-2, conference champion is better than beating #14, 8-4, second place team. Take the names off the helmets and you would have to agree.

  28. #128
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Probably about the same amount. Maybe less as well. These comparative scores are so stupid. I guess since Clemson only scored 19 on Auburn and OU scored 35 on the same team that we can surmise that OU would have scored almost twice as many points as did Clemson against Bama, so........about 67 points? Sound about right?
    OU scored 45 against Alabama 3 years ago with Trevor Knight at QB. That was another "all time great" Alabama defense. Why wouldn't I think OU could score a ton of points against Alabama. Alabama has allowed an average of over 40 points per game in bowl games since they beat the shit out of Notre Dame.

  29. #129
    im fine with us being at 5. I hate usc with a passion but sure as hell wouldn't want to play them and watch them light up mike and our secondary. so I can't really be pissed that they are ahead of us.

  30. #130
    Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post
    OU scored 45 against Alabama 3 years ago with Trevor Knight at QB. That was another "all time great" Alabama defense. Why wouldn't I think OU could score a ton of points against Alabama. Alabama has allowed an average of over 40 points per game in bowl games since they beat the shit out of Notre Dame.
    Still hanging on to that Sugar Bowl win from 3 years ago I see. Bobby.....is that you?

    And I could claim that OU besides that one great game hasn't beaten an OOC team, that has FINISHED in the top 10, (maybe top 20 as Tenn, FSU, ND 2013, Bama, Miami, etc didn't finish ranked or in the 20-25 range) in a decade. They haven't even scored more than 24 (about half of what they score in conference...what does that tell you?) points in regulation against an OOC team that finsished in the top 10 in a decade, ala, ND 2012 (13 pts), TAM, 2013 (13 pts), TENN (not a top 10 team but an OOC opponent that still held OU to 17 points in regulationi despite finishing unranked), Clemson 2015 (6 pts), Clemson 2016 (17 pts), Houston 2016 (17 points in meaningful minutes), tOSU 2016 (17pts). You see the pattern? If you can't let me explain it: historically over at least the past 10 years, when OU plays an OOC team that finished the season in the top 10 (maybe even top 15) they struggle to even score, much less win.

    So, with that knowledge, being that USC and PSU both finished in the top 10 this year and are not in the Big 12 (where OU generally scores about 40 points a game for some unknown reason), I'd go out on a limb and say that OU MIGHT struggle against them based on past FACTS and HISTORY. I'd rather put my money on that than your ridiculous comparative scores and hypotheticals.
    Last edited by OKIRISHFAN; January 11th, 2017 at 05:13 PM.

  31. #131
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Still hanging on to that Sugar Bowl win from 3 years ago I see. Bobby.....is that you?

    And I could claim that OU besides that one great game hasn't beaten an OOC team, that has FINISHED in the top 10, (maybe top 20 as Tenn, FSU, ND 2013, Bama, Miami, etc didn't finish ranked or in the 20-25 range) in a decade. They haven't even scored more than 24 (about half of what they score in conference...what does that tell you?) points in regulation against an OOC team that finsished in the top 10 in a decade, ala, ND 2012 (13 pts), TAM, 2013 (13 pts), TENN (not a top 10 team but an OOC opponent that still held OU to 17 points in regulationi despite finishing unranked), Clemson 2015 (6 pts), Clemson 2016 (17 pts), Houston 2016 (17 points in meaningful minutes), tOSU 2016 (17pts). You see the pattern? If you can't let me explain it: historically over at least the past 10 years, when OU plays an OOC team that finished the season in the top 10 (maybe even top 15) they struggle to even score, much less win.

    So, with that knowledge, being that USC and PSU both finished in the top 10 this year and are not in the Big 12 (where OU generally scores about 40 points a game for some unknown reason), I'd go out on a limb and say that OU MIGHT struggle against them based on past FACTS and HISTORY. I'd rather put my money on that than your ridiculous comparative scores and hypotheticals.
    I don't care about the AP. Doesn't affect OU in the slightest. I can point out the ridiculous positions of the sports press. But it means nothing. OU had two goals each year. Win the conference. Win the national title. Got one of two. There's no goal for AP ranking. OU doesn't care about rankings and still has more top ten and top 5 rankings of any team in the modern era. Consistently elite. Always striving for titles.

  32. #132
    Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post
    I don't care about the AP. Doesn't affect OU in the slightest. I can point out the ridiculous positions of the sports press. But it means nothing. OU had two goals each year. Win the conference. Win the national title. Got one of two. There's no goal for AP ranking. OU doesn't care about rankings and still has more top ten and top 5 rankings of any team in the modern era. Consistently elite. Always striving for titles.
    Of course they care about rankings. They sell it to every recruit they talk to.

  33. #133
    RockE's Avatar
    Posts
    3,400
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ann Arbor

    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Still hanging on to that Sugar Bowl win from 3 years ago I see. Bobby.....is that you?

    And I could claim that OU besides that one great game hasn't beaten an OOC team, that has FINISHED in the top 10, (maybe top 20 as Tenn, FSU, ND 2013, Bama, Miami, etc didn't finish ranked or in the 20-25 range) in a decade. They haven't even scored more than 24 (about half of what they score in conference...what does that tell you?) points in regulation against an OOC team that finsished in the top 10 in a decade, ala, ND 2012 (13 pts), TAM, 2013 (13 pts), TENN (not a top 10 team but an OOC opponent that still held OU to 17 points in regulationi despite finishing unranked), Clemson 2015 (6 pts), Clemson 2016 (17 pts), Houston 2016 (17 points in meaningful minutes), tOSU 2016 (17pts). You see the pattern? If you can't let me explain it: historically over at least the past 10 years, when OU plays an OOC team that finished the season in the top 10 (maybe even top 15) they struggle to even score, much less win.

    So, with that knowledge, being that USC and PSU both finished in the top 10 this year and are not in the Big 12 (where OU generally scores about 40 points a game for some unknown reason), I'd go out on a limb and say that OU MIGHT struggle against them based on past FACTS and HISTORY. I'd rather put my money on that than your ridiculous comparative scores and hypotheticals.
    You put a lot of effort into this board for a fan that supports a 4-8 team. your devotion to this site is much appreciated, even if your opinion is lol'd by the sane posters here.
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN


  34. #134
    Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post
    I don't care about the AP. Doesn't affect OU in the slightest. I can point out the ridiculous positions of the sports press. But it means nothing. OU had two goals each year. Win the conference. Win the national title. Got one of two. There's no goal for AP ranking. OU doesn't care about rankings and still has more top ten and top 5 rankings of any team in the modern era. Consistently elite. Always striving for titles.
    So going to change the goal posts now that you're presented with FACTS? Classic. Come argue with me about the plethora of points that OU would score on a top 10 team like USC, or any top 10 team, THAT'S NOT IN THE BIG 12, based on useless comparative scores, AFTER they score more than 17 points against an OOC team that finishes in the top 10 and I might spend the time discussing it with you. Until then enjoy your elite Big 12 conference championships and OOC losses against top 10 teams.

    Feel free to go ahead and insert negative ND comment here as I know you don't have any facts to refute anything I've said.

    P.S. And just a reminder, it's cool to "always strive for titles" (as if every team isn't doing that), but it will take a team that can score more than 17 points against a top 10 team to do that. Give me a shout when that happens.

  35. #135
    Originally Posted by BoomSoon2016 View Post
    My issue with USC is that they were absolutely wiped off the field by Alabama.. tOSU beat us in Norman, but Bama made USC look like Cal Poly Tech (55-6)
    The beefs I have with USC
    • PAC-12 was very bad. Colorado's turn around had a lot to do with how bad. Exposed in bowl games
    • Did not win said bad conference; didn't even win division of said bad conference.
    • B1G teams were bad. Also exposed in bowl games, yet USC's only quality wins are Washington and Penn State.

    I don't think they are a bad team, and definitely should be in the top 5 somewhere, but those are the glaring problems with their resume.
    2 users like OnlyOneBubbaMoses's post: BoomSoon2016, RockE


  36. #136
    Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    You put a lot of effort into this board for a fan that supports a 4-8 team. your devotion to this site is much appreciated, even if your opinion is lol'd by the sane posters here.
    I just like talking with people about football. It's a great site.

  37. #137
    USC ranked at #3 by the AP (media) shows why college football needs and will continue to need a playoff.
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneBubbaMoses


  38. #138
    RockE's Avatar
    Posts
    3,400
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Ann Arbor

    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    I just like talking with people about football. It's a great site.
    it's the only site I visit so I'll have to take your word on that. what is it specifically that separates us dumbasses from the others?

  39. #139
    meandmybutt's Avatar
    Posts
    12,650
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Antonio

    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Losses against Georgia and TAM are part of your criteria? Okay?

    Anyone with eyeballs could see that Auburn's offense was terrible. That's what I don't get about some fans. Out of one side of their mouths they talk about how terrible the offenses of the SEC are and then you play one of the WORST of those offenses and want to talk about what a great win it was.

    Again if some team like Texas, or more precisely, a team out side the Big 12, played an 8-4 team from another conference that was second in that conference, nobody would say anything.

    Heck, ND beat a 8-4 LSU in 2014 playing two different QB's. I don't remember being all pumped about that one. Why? Because they were 8-4!!! Good win and a great way to end a season, but hardly something to boast about.

    If USC beat 8-4 Auburn that had an incompetent QB and was unable to score, you'd be singing a different tune.

    Again, good win. Great way to end the season.
    USC got absolutely crushed by Bama. They dont belong in my Top 10.

  40. #140
    meandmybutt's Avatar
    Posts
    12,650
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Antonio

    Originally Posted by SoonernVolved View Post
    ......No program has finished in the AP Top 5 more than the #Sooners.......

    Well, that can't be correct.

    Alabama only has 23 AP Top 5 finishes?

    Don't they claim more than 23 National Championships.

  41. #141
    CalSOONER's Avatar
    Posts
    3,149
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Fingerbang World Tour

    Originally Posted by HartRod View Post
    Bama ... kicked the shit out of the program that kicked the shit out of us...
    Huh?

  42. #142
    LASooner's Avatar
    Posts
    9,221
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Canyon Country, California

    Originally Posted by SoonerTech View Post
    Anyone can win a national championship. OU made history this year!
    OSU made history by getting a national championship trophy without winning a ****ing thing.
    2 users like LASooner's post: HartRod, RockFlagandEagle


  43. #143
    Lout's Avatar
    Posts
    1,549
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Pot's legal here.

    Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post
    Well, that can't be correct.

    Alabama only has 23 AP Top 5 finishes?

    Don't they claim more than 23 National Championships.
    Most predate the AP poll.

  44. #144
    Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    it's the only site I visit so I'll have to take your word on that. what is it specifically that separates us dumbasses from the others?
    Haha. I obviously came here for the 2012 ND v OU game. Just like the site, mostly the aesthetics. Also like the fact that more than just OU is talked about on here. Tons of stuff on here to discuss whereas most Irish sites are just about Irish football. Here you get a mixture of things to talk about, like this thread. This thread makes for great discussion (why is USC ranked that high, for example?). Or team x, y, z. It's like an group of guys (and some girls) getting together and just arguing about who the best is in some certain sport. It's just entertaining.
    The following users like this post: RockE


  45. #145
    Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post
    USC got absolutely crushed by Bama; with a different QB that just beat the #7 team in the nation. They dont belong in my Top 10.
    FIFY. In all seriousness, I get your point and why you are reluctant to put them up high. That being said, it's not like tOSU could have done the same to OU, on their own field, with the same QB they were playing with at the end of the season, had UM not taken his foot of the gas pedal. So that's an inconsistency to me. If you want to put it on the 3 loss v. 2 loss, that I can buy.

  46. #146
    p23570's Avatar
    Posts
    6,277
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Miyakojima-shi, Okinawa-ken

    wow, some of you really are too stupid to use this board.

  47. #147
    Originally Posted by Homebrewed View Post
    USC ranked at #3 by the AP (media) shows why college football needs and will continue to need a playoff.
    underrated post.

  48. #148
    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    Tons of stuff on here to discuss whereas most Irish sites are just about Irish football.
    So this site would be intellectually taxing for most Irish fans?

  49. #149
    Originally Posted by OnlyOneBubbaMoses View Post
    So this site would be intellectually taxing for most Irish fans?
    Well I wouldn't go that far. Let's just leave it at "this is a great site".

  50. #150
    meandmybutt's Avatar
    Posts
    12,650
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Antonio

    Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    FIFY. In all seriousness, I get your point and why you are reluctant to put them up high. That being said, it's not like tOSU could have done the same to OU, on their own field, with the same QB they were playing with at the end of the season, had UM not taken his foot of the gas pedal. So that's an inconsistency to me. If you want to put it on the 3 loss v. 2 loss, that I can buy.
    You didn't fix shit. You ****ed it up

Similar Threads

  1. LandThieves Top 25 Poll Results - FINAL
    By MrMcGibblets in forum Football
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: January 14th, 2014, 03:04 PM
  2. Final LT Top 25 Poll
    By McRib in forum Football
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: January 9th, 2013, 08:54 PM
  3. Final A.P. Poll
    By Vodnik in forum Football
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: January 9th, 2013, 08:54 AM
  4. Final Coaches Poll
    By Nazgul in forum Football
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: December 3rd, 2012, 04:51 PM

Tags for this Thread