Saban

Posted 285 day(s) ago 4523 Views 33 Replies

Saban

I'm waiting for him to **** and whine and blame the loss on the Russians.

probably at practice.
    2 users like Hallucinogenic_Toreador's post: jakel, traxx

Compelling thread.
    The following users like this post: boomer8390

1/10

I would imagine Russia and Red China are SEC fans, so that won't fly.
    The following users like this post: Breadburner

Does Bammer go ahead and claim another natty for 2016? After all, they did lead the game with two seconds left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    3 users like Conagher's post: DocHemi, Hallucinogenic_Toreador, tennsooner

If he coached at OU and won the NC's like he did at Bama, you'd all be sucking his dick.

Don't care for the guy but he is one hell of a college coach.
    6 users like 2121sooner's post: blackfrancois, boomer8390, clayman45, Jive Turkey11, SiggyPoke, SilksKS

Originally Posted by 2121sooner View Post
    If he coached at OU and won the NC's like he did at Bama, you'd all be sucking his dick.

Recruiting is a huge part of coaching success so you can't knock Saban for winning more on recruiting than his coaching, but it's been a while since he's out coached the better coaches in the league. In recent years, Saban hasn't been out coaching opponents. Put it this way, he's not some kind of coaching freak like belichik is in the NFL. That guy wins through great talent, average talent, injuries, whatever. Saban requires far superior talent to win. I don't think he would coach any better than Stoops with equal talent. If Saban came to OU I wouldn't be excited about his coaching ability, just his recruiting. Saban's got the titles, but he's 10-9 overall in bowl games and he almost always has more talent than his opponents.

But, none of this matters because recruiting success is so critical in college football.

Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post
    Recruiting is a huge part of coaching success so you can't knock Saban for winning more on recruiting than his coaching, but it's been a while since he's out coached the better coaches in the league. In recent years, Saban hasn't been out coaching opponents. Put it this way, he's not some kind of coaching freak like belichik is in the NFL. That guy wins through great talent, average talent, injuries, whatever. Saban requires far superior talent to win. I don't think he would coach any better than Stoops with equal talent. If Saban came to OU I wouldn't be excited about his coaching ability, just his recruiting. Saban's got the titles, but he's 10-9 overall in bowl games and he almost always has more talent than his opponents.

But, none of this matters because recruiting success is so critical in college football.
    Saban spent 5 years at Michigan State and was 34-24-1. Did go 9-2 one season. Also had 6-5-1, 6-6, 7-5 and 6-6 seasons. He was 48-16 at LSU. Prior to Alabama Saban was 82-40-1 over 10 seasons. The national championship season in 2003 was his only double digit win season. Six consecutive #1 recruiting classes and a possible #1 in 2017 is the biggest explanation for Saban's success in Tuscaloosa. Also his non-on the field coaching and support staff that is in part focused on recruiting I am told about 40 individuals which is 3-4 the size of the OU staff. Also has 3 former FBS Division I head football coaches working as non-field coaching for grad assistant pay. Everyone is wanting to learn Saban's process.

To paraphrase Switzer it is the Jimmy's and the Joe's more so than the X's and the O's that wins football games.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Saban
    7 users like SoonerSpock's post: blackfrancois, ChSooner, ronny2727, SoonernVolved, SoonerPT, tennsooner, VA_Sooner

Last edited by SoonerSpock; January 11th, 2017 at 03:04 PM.

I think you are confused, its not about the winning of titles, etc. Its how he handles himself after losing...Example OU beat Bama and they were saying there wasn't really anything to play for so they could not get motivated. He has now lost on a national stage...has to be aliens or faulty ball bearings or something

Originally Posted by Tx Sooner View Post

Bama boosters willing to dish out cash + Bama compliance turning a blind eye = great recruiting by Saban

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2 users like Coach's post: SoonernVolved, theSeanDon

Originally Posted by JrsySooner View Post
    I think you are confused, its not about the winning of titles, etc. Its how he handles himself after losing...Example OU beat Bama and they were saying there wasn't really anything to play for so they could not get motivated. He has now lost on a national stage...has to be aliens or faulty ball bearings or something
    True. When Utah beat them it was because Alabama's best player was suspended for the game, for Oklahoma it was because it was a "consolation game", for Ohio State it was due to the date of the NFL draft grade releases, this time, you have a player saying that they felt the refs were against them.

There's always an excuse for their loss.

I don't disagree, but how is this different than any other team? Everybody makes excuses when we lose.
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

Dabo is a friend. He’s an Alabama person. He was at our university, went to our university, and I think he’s done a great job of managing, supporting the University of Alabama, Coach Stallings, some of the things that we’ve done together. So I have a lot of respect for him as a person. I have a lot of respect for him as a coach. He has a really good team, and I have a lot of respect for their team.

As disappointed as we were, I always think the classy thing to do is always congratulate the other person for what they were able to accomplish, so I thought it was important to do that, especially for somebody that I consider a friend.

what a wonderful choice of words.

Originally Posted by Hallucinogenic_Toreador View Post
    probably at practice.
    He was pretty mad about that National Championship Trophy presentation taking up valuable practice time.

Neah, I would probably just buy some national championship paraphernalia instead, but you go right ahead with that.
    2 users like zcaa0g's post: 2121sooner, CalSOONER

I only know of one poster on here who may possibly do that (not Ookrah this time).

Well, he doesn't, so I won't.
    The following users like this post: Pullhook

I don't think so. If he coached at Oklahoma and just lost a championship game there would be hundreds of posters on here calling for his firing. The other however many championships be damned. I've noticed there is a definite 'what have you done for me lately' bias to most of these type boards.
    The following users like this post: 2121sooner

Originally Posted by Sooner Shemp View Post
    Saban's a democrat?

Originally Posted by Conagher View Post
    Does Bammer go ahead and claim another natty for 2016? After all, they did lead the game with two seconds left.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Guess he can't win...all of them. Talking s,hit on the best coach of the last 20 years..... Seems reasonable

Originally Posted by SoonerWithoutaName View Post
    I don't think so. If he coached at Oklahoma and just lost a championship game there would be hundreds of posters on here calling for his firing. The other however many championships be damned. I've noticed there is a definite 'what have you done for me lately' bias to most of these type boards.
    Lol... He's won enough to already be a coaching legend. What's up with the insane jealousy here...? Can't we even admit he's a great fkg coach? He's 5X the coach Bobby is. Evidenced by his NUMEROUS ACTUAL CHAMPIONSHIPS. JEESZUS WE SOUND LIKE A BUNCH OF FKG ****Y AGGIES.

Once again, you're projecting.
    The following users like this post: OnlyOneBubbaMoses

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    I don't disagree, but how is this different than any other team? Everybody makes excuses when we lose.
    I notice we tend to blame coaching, lazy recruiting, bad playcalling, and a lack of effort by our players. Hasn't been too many times we've blamed someone outside of ourselves, save Texas Tech and Oregon.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Bama boosters willing to dish out cash + Bama compliance turning a blind eye = great recruiting by Saban

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're simply misinformed. I live in Alabama and know many, many Alabama fans. They have assured me on countless times that the Alabama football program is as clean as a hospital surgery room. They tell me that Alabama is such an attraction to college football players that they do not have to violate the smallest NCAA rule or regulation.

I can't wait till they're hit with a probation and a forfeiture of all 24 national championship.

Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    They tell me that Alabama is such an attraction to college football players that they do not have to violate the smallest NCAA rule or regulation.
    Bo Davis says hello.

Originally Posted by Sooner Shemp View Post
    You didn't hear about them hacking his playbook?

The following users like this post: RockE

Originally Posted by drumhead23us View Post
    I don't.

With all those 3 and out drives by the Bama O I'd say blame it on Jack Daniels.

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    Wouldn't have been as tough if he were tall enough to see over the crowd. He looked like a lost child searching for his daddy.
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

Originally Posted by HailCaesar View Post
    You didn't hear about them hacking his playbook?
    Yeah, I heard the NCAA is investigating Putin.