so what's the buzz on 2017 D-Line recruits?

Posted 257 day(s) ago 10623 Views 59 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

so what's the buzz on 2017 D-Line recruits?

particularly interior D-linemen(ie DTs)

Are we going to sign any at all?

I only know about the Marvin Wilson kid, but I dont think he's a real prospect.

It kinda sounds like we're not expecting any more DL. That position group is the only thing I'm disappointed in with SS17. We really needed another quality guy or two.
    The following users like this post: Jasooner

I hope they can find some more...Not sure if Thibodeaux is doing a bang up job recruiting wise.

Originally Posted by really View Post
    I hope they can find some more...Not sure if Thibodeaux is doing a bang up job recruiting wise.
    I believe he is the only reason Wilson was even talking to us.

Originally Posted by really View Post
    I'm sure we'll get a juco guy or something but we really need someone better.

I think Calvin will do better next yr. He kinda got the job late and with 2 dline coaches in 2 years, the perception wasn't good.

If we could steal Wilson and put him next to Gallimore, wow that would be awesome

Whatever you do...Don't look in the recruiting forum....That would be to easy...

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    Whatever you do...Don't look in the recruiting forum....That would be to easy...

Wish we had a forum where we could have access to recruiting information, players profiles, offers, commitments & whatnot... Mods, get on that..!

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    3 users like northspeter's post: Bear_Jew, oorah_okie, p23570

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

We have some very solid young talent on our DLine going in to next year. IMO, the defensive line will be our best level of the defense.

Our numbers are okay right now, but we do need to ultimately bring in another elite prospect either in this class or next. We signed a great DE from Oklahoma and Top 50 DL in this class, so the talent is there.

However, it would be nice to bring in an elite prospect at tackle like Marvin Wilson, and I wouldn't count him out just yet. OU is at least in his final 5. Even if we aren't currently one of his favorites, we still have some time to try to sway him to OU.

http://247sports.com/player/austin-faoliu-46036117

Decommitted from Arizona yesterday, in Norman for a visit tomorrow.
    The following users like this post: jaxonya

I want to give Thibodeau time to work. He does have talent in Norman. He's also a huge reason why Marvin Wilson is even talking to us. That said, the DL is going to be the difference between Good Seasons and a championship in the next few years. We need a DL that can get consistent pressure against the best offensive lines in college football. I saw good signs in the Sugar Bowl. Hopefully he can shape what is already here, then add one or two sleepers and put together an elite line. As the DL goes, our Championship hopes go.
    3 users like CrimsonOberon's post: JW3K, OU48A, RDC212

T.Graham seems like he's going to flip and people have been predicting G.Rodgers to us too. Right now we have 3 DL and if that Austin Faoliu flips we could potentially end up with 6 perhaps 7.

Also just saw that 3* DT Corey Bethley has us in his top 3 along w/TCU & A&M

Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post
    I want to give Thibodeau time to work. He does have talent in Norman. He's also a huge reason why Marvin Wilson is even talking to us. That said, the DL is going to be the difference between Good Seasons and a championship in the next few years. We need a DL that can get consistent pressure against the best offensive lines in college football. I saw good signs in the Sugar Bowl. Hopefully he can shape what is already here, then add one or two sleepers and put together an elite line. As the DL goes, our Championship hopes go.
    I just want *somebody* to have time to work at that position. Way too much turnover. It's amazing we aren't worse off than we are.
    The following users like this post: CrimsonOberon

Originally Posted by OUVarsityXV View Post
    Also just saw that 3* DT Corey Bethley has us in his top 3 along w/TCU & A&M
    I think OU is just a hat on the table. It doesn't make sense for either side.

We need Josh Rogers bad! I think he's incredibly underrated.

If we can land him and Faoliu to go with McKinney and let Thomas grow into position. It could turn out to be a decent DL class.

You know, there's a whole recruiting subsection of the site with all sorts of info. There's been a recruiting update post started today.
    You could, you know, click around... Hell, there's a whole #SoonerSquad17 Discussion Thread with tons of info that you could, you know, look at. That might answer your questions.
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Originally Posted by Jasooner View Post
    particularly interior D-linemen(ie DTs)

Are we going to sign any at all?

I only know about the Marvin Wilson kid, but I dont think he's a real prospect.
    bump

Originally Posted by p23570 View Post
    bump
    What are you looking for?

Rogers and Wilson (not coming) are the two nose prospects they are after.
    Graham, Faoliu, and Bethley are the three 4-tech guys.

Yes, we'll sign more than the 2 we currently have committed.

This idea is very far fetched but how about sending a recruiter over to Japan and see if there are any HS sumo wrestlers who are agile enough to play football. Those sumo athletes are huge and stronger than Bevo. Put one of those 280-450 pound guys in the middle of the line for 20 plays a game in run situations and the entire middle of the field would be clogged up. Watch a match and see how they start from a football style crouch and charge into an opponent who might weigh up to 500 pounds and knock him on his ass or out of the ring.
    Please be gentle in being critical of this.
    3 users like 61sooner's post: BernieMadoff, OU48A, sovasooner

And get one of those little people from the Himalayas to return kicks.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    This idea is very far fetched but how about sending a recruiter over to Japan and see if there are any HS sumo wrestlers who are agile enough to play football. Those sumo athletes are huge and stronger than Bevo. Put one of those 280-450 pound guys in the middle of the line for 20 plays a game in run situations and the entire middle of the field would be clogged up. Watch a match and see how they start from a football style crouch and charge into an opponent who might weigh up to 500 pounds and knock him on his ass or out of the ring.
    Stoops has a connection. Mentored a Japanese coach a long time ago.
    4 users like OkieThunderLion's post: BernieMadoff, gravelveins, JW3K, OU48A

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    Stoops has a connection. Mentored a Japanese coach a long time ago.
    I remember a story in the paper about that guy.

Ichiban Coachsan.
    The following users like this post: Breadburner

Originally Posted by AlSwarengin View Post
    Yeti...???
    3 users like Breadburner's post: boomersooner52, northspeter, SoonerNow

Originally Posted by AppalachianSooner View Post
    I just want *somebody* to have time to work at that position. Way too much turnover. It's amazing we aren't worse off than we are.
    I imagine that's why Stoops hired Thibodeau in the first place. I can't see him using this job as a stepping stone - - I could easily see him settling into this job long-term. Thibodeau was a technician as a player. The defensive line appears to be trending in that direction. We're not that far off. However, we're not there yet either. We just need one or two more difference-makers.

Y'all motherfuckers are just wrong. I'm laughing my ass off, though.
    2 users like sovasooner's post: northspeter, RDC212

all 3 of the current yokozunas (top rank) are from mongolia, as are a sizeable number of ozekis (2nd rank) along with a surprising number of guys from the eastern bloc.

i've also really started to get into watching sumo ever since i've been living out here in miyakojima, and i can tell you that it wouldn't work. there are some big ****ers, that's true, but i don't think the skill-sets are the same. sumo wrestlers are just too heavy. way too much of what would be considered bad weight on them. ou routinely gets kids out of high school every year that have bigger frames than the majority of the yokozunas and ozekis, and most of these guys aren't nearly as athletic in general and have been working on improving a specific skill set for years that i don't think would be particularly useful in football. now, i do think that linemen who never panned out at football (or even some washed up nfl linemen) could make some waves in the sumo community, i just doubt they have the discipline to become a sumo wrestler and would likely never give up their nationality and name in order to be one of the lucky 42.
    3 users like p23570's post: BernieMadoff, CrimsonOberon, Soonerlife

I heard quicy russel is going to have a breakout season in 17.

Originally Posted by VA_Sooner View Post
    I heard quicy russel is going to have a breakout season in 17.
    He actually had a decent year at that school he went to.

Seems like Taquon Graham is trending in our favor. That would be a great get.

Originally Posted by StoopsIsLoose View Post
    He actually had a decent year at that school he went to.
    good to hear tht, he had good tape, just got lazy after coming to ou

Thibs did what he did this year with all the injuries and quiters...pretty amazing really
    Originally Posted by AppalachianSooner View Post
    3 users like qaz's post: BernieMadoff, CrimsonOberon, NickDangerThirdEye

Originally Posted by OUVarsityXV View Post
    T.Graham seems like he's going to flip and people have been predicting G.Rodgers to us too. Right now we have 3 DL and if that Austin Faoliu flips we could potentially end up with 6 perhaps 7.
    Who is saying Rogers to OU?

The following users like this post: RockE

Originally Posted by OU812 View Post
    Who is saying Rogers to OU?
    I assume he means J. Rogers.
    The following users like this post: OU812

Originally Posted by p23570 View Post
    all 3 of the current yokozunas (top rank) are from mongolia, as are a sizeable number of ozekis (2nd rank) along with a surprising number of guys from the eastern bloc.

i've also really started to get into watching sumo ever since i've been living out here in miyakojima, and i can tell you that it wouldn't work. there are some big ****ers, that's true, but i don't think the skill-sets are the same. sumo wrestlers are just too heavy. way too much of what would be considered bad weight on them. ou routinely gets kids out of high school every year that have bigger frames than the majority of the yokozunas and ozekis, and most of these guys aren't nearly as athletic in general and have been working on improving a specific skill set for years that i don't think would be particularly useful in football. now, i do think that linemen who never panned out at football (or even some washed up nfl linemen) could make some waves in the sumo community, i just doubt they have the discipline to become a sumo wrestler and would likely never give up their nationality and name in order to be one of the lucky 42.
    You just like the giant thongs

Best case scenario, we flip graham and close on Josh Rogers and Faoliu. That would be a nice finish.
    The following users like this post: sovasooner

Faoliu is well built, man that guy wi be a physical specimen in college, hopefully he commits soon

Gonna have to fight off Oregon.

Originally Posted by VA_Sooner View Post
    Faoliu is well built, man that guy wi be a physical specimen in college, hopefully he commits soon

Sterling Sherpa?
    6 users like Hallucinogenic_Toreador's post: BernieMadoff, Breadburner, cccasooner2, p23570, SoonerNow, sovasooner

From TFB

Team Note | Tyreece Lott: In the course of one of my discussions about yesterday’s scrimmage, I spoke with a source about the young defensive linemen and asked if anyone really stood out. The source said that both Zach McKinney and Troy James will be solid players for OU but the guy I was told is going to be the star is Oklahoma native, Tyreece Lott. Source said, “Tyreece is going to be a freak. Give him a year and you’ll see. He’s way better than anyone anticipated. He’s going to be special. He jumps out.”

I asked if Lott would redshirt this year and the source said, “He could play this year. He’s on the bubble. But whether he does or not, I’m saying, give him a year”.
    – (Super K)

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    From TFB

Team Note | Tyreece Lott: In the course of one of my discussions about yesterday’s scrimmage, I spoke with a source about the young defensive linemen and asked if anyone really stood out. The source said that both Zach McKinney and Troy James will be solid players for OU but the guy I was told is going to be the star is Oklahoma native, Tyreece Lott. Source said, “Tyreece is going to be a freak. Give him a year and you’ll see. He’s way better than anyone anticipated. He’s going to be special. He jumps out.”

I asked if Lott would redshirt this year and the source said, “He could play this year. He’s on the bubble. But whether he does or not, I’m saying, give him a year”.
    – (Super K)
    To add to this ^ post
    There have been several reports that project Lampkin as a very good defensive tackle.
    With the improvement of Gallimore it seems reasonable to believe OU’s DT’s will be improved over last year and significantly improved next season. I like what I’m hearing but we really need to sign 2 very high quality DT’s for the 2018 class to build up our quality of depth.
    2 users like OU48A's post: Spade1000, thatsoonerfan89

With offensive prospects pretty much wrapped up, along with the secondary, the staff can focus on LB's and DT's. Perkins would be a take at DE but like you said OU needs some quality players at DT and LB. Riley knows those positions are a priority and he has plenty of time to add to this impressive '18 class.

To add to this ^ post
    There have been several reports that project Lampkin as a very good defensive tackle.
    With the improvement of Gallimore it seems reasonable to believe OU’s DT’s will be improved over last year and significantly improved next season. I like what I’m hearing but we really need to sign 2 very high quality DT’s for the 2018 class to build up our quality of depth.
    2 users like thatsoonerfan89's post: OU48A, RockE

Trivia God
    There is no off position on the Genius Switch.

To add to this ^ post
    Lamp still has work to do. Has all the potential in the world but it is completely up to him to reach that.

To add to this ^ post
    I'm under the impression that we're only going to take 1 more DT to go along with Jordan Kelly.. but if it's the right guys, we probably take a couple more DE's..

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    2 users like northspeter's post: northspeter, OU48A

Originally Posted by BernieMadoff View Post
    Lamp still has work to do. Has all the potential in the world but it is completely up to him to reach that.
    The reports that I have heard in the last 4 or 5 days indicate that L is starting to come on and improve…. But these are from several media people…..
    “all the potential in the world” as that goes so will OU’s defense….If it’s accurate?
    When I see someone say “all the potential in the world” on the DL… my bar is set at Lee Roy Selmon who I had the pleasure of meeting as a courtesy recruit and watching while he play at OU.

I don’t think we have any Lee Roy Selmon’s on the roster

Trivia God

The reports that I have heard in the last 4 or 5 days indicate that L is starting to come on and improve…. But these are from several media people…..
    “all the potential in the world” as that goes so will OU’s defense….If it’s accurate?
    When I see someone say “all the potential in the world” on the DL… my bar is set at Lee Roy Selmon who I had the pleasure of meeting as a courtesy recruit and watching while he play at OU.

I don’t think we have any Lee Roy Selmon’s on the roster
    We haven't had any Lee Roys on the roster since Jan. 1, 1976. Not Casillas, not Tommie, not McCoy. Big Cat was One of a Kind, the best player ever at OU and very kind when he spent time with a 12 year old Madoff. He dated one of my sisters' roomies and I was an annoying Little Slap Dick.

Lampkin has a lot of potential. (Does that fit your sensibilities a bit better?) I don't give a gotdam what is being said or seen in the media. He still has work to do to help the team and I hope he does it.

No Coach can make him. He has to decide to do it.
    The following users like this post: oupunk

Originally Posted by BernieMadoff View Post
    specifically what kind of work, Bern? attitude? effort? school?

Trivia God

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    specifically what kind of work, Bern? attitude? effort? school?
    Just consistency both on and off field. Not getting that info directly from any Coaches but from people who have played the position and watched him practice.

I really hope that the Light Has Gone On for Lamp. I just need to see it for longer than a fall camp or a month of games. He needs to keep it up all season.
    3 users like BernieMadoff's post: OU812, RockE, SplitTD