Gardening v.2017

Posted 331 day(s) ago by SoonerAtty32391 Views 265 Replies
Page 6 of 6 4 5 6
    Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    Not to be a buzzkill...
    Well, that is kinda your shtick.

I’m trying to figure out how long you had to research to crap on my nice picture.

Our garden is going crazy right now. Getting an okra per plant per day, have a bunch of Watermelons, Canteloupe, Honey Dew Melons and Cucumbers on the vine. Have some beans and peas in the ground also that we expect to be producing in the next couple weeks.

I guess that is the good thing about living in the desert. At least two growing seasons.
    The following users like this post: SoonerAtty

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    Well, that is kinda your shtick.

I’m trying to figure out how long you had to research to crap on my nice picture.

Research? Me? Right. As if.

It bums me out worse then I bummed you out. I have lived on nightshades my whole life. I guess most of the problem is in the skin and seeds. Don't even research anything about peanuts and cashews, neither of which are nuts, but legumes. ****ing up my whole world.

Still picking. Nice year.

2 users like SoonerAtty's post: NickDangerThirdEye, OU Sam

Last edited by SoonerAtty; October 21st, 2017 at 12:52 PM.

My garden is in winter cover. I planted on Sept 11. The deer plot seed I planted has been doin well, I expect to look out there some morning, and see a deer feeding on it . It should take the freeze this weekend in stride, but the volunteer tomato, zinnia ,etc in there , is gonna get it. They not as hardy as the Austrian Pea and the oats.

My oats were killed by the 16* night last week. They'd reached nearly thigh high and now its all laid over and turning brown. Will till it in late next month.

The Austrian Pea survived, but a lot of it is now covered with dead oats, will survive if it can find sun.

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    My oats were killed by the 16* night last week. They'd reached nearly thigh high and now its all laid over and turning brown. Will till it in late next month.

The Austrian Pea survived, but a lot of it is now covered with dead oats, will survive if it can find sun.
    That’s too bad.

I have to get into mine this weekend. It’s a mess. Plus it needs water.

It really was expected, but I'd like to have gotten another couple weeks of growth. Its still made a lot of organic material to go back into the soil.

Mine needs water also.
    The following users like this post: ChocoLab

It really was expected, but I'd like to have gotten another couple weeks of growth. Its still made a lot of organic material to go back into the soil.

Mine needs water also.
    I’ve got to research how much water my asparagus needs when dormant. I did not like my yield last year. I also planted 3 trees in the spring and need to fill their bags and give my azaleas a drink. I have been so busy that I had not realized how dry it has been.

I’ve got to research how much water my asparagus needs when dormant. I did not like my yield last year. I also planted 3 trees in the spring and need to fill their bags and give my azaleas a drink. I have been so busy that I had not realized how dry it has been.
    What kind of soil did you plant your asparagus in? I'm not having much luck getting my asparagus to take off. Been in the ground for 3 years now.

Originally Posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
    What kind of soil did you plant your asparagus in? I'm not having much luck getting my asparagus to take off. Been in the ground for 3 years now.
    A mix of topsoil and garden soil. I am going to water and fertilize the heck out of mine this weekend to see if I can get a better yield. I'll throw on some liquid and then some dry on top.

A mix of topsoil and garden soil. I am going to water and fertilize the heck out of mine this weekend to see if I can get a better yield. I'll throw on some liquid and then some dry on top.
    Interesting. I hear Asparagus is picky about the source minerals you give it in it's fertilizer.

Originally Posted by SoonerKA1999 View Post
    Interesting. I hear Asparagus is picky about the source minerals you give it in it's fertilizer.
    I’ll have to look. I haven’t even cleared the dead from the bed yet.
    The following users like this post: SoonerKA1999

Iowa State says 10-10-10 is fine. It also says not to cut away the dead in the winter. But it's not as cold here and we do not get the snow they do. I usually cut it back and cover it with straw.

https://hortnews.extension.iastate.e...aragusfaq.html

Can't believe I missed your planting the cover... I did the same thing with a deer plot mix a couple of years ago and it seemed to help a lot. What all is in your mix? I guess the usual oats, field peas, hairy vetch, turnips? (I thought the peas and vetch looked good when they bloomed, and the turnips came up everywhere even though they were supposed to be like 5% of the mix...)

Originally Posted by ChocoLab View Post
    Can't believe I missed your planting the cover... I did the same thing with a deer plot mix a couple of years ago and it seemed to help a lot. What all is in your mix? I guess the usual oats, field peas, hairy vetch, turnips? (I thought the peas and vetch looked good when they bloomed, and the turnips came up everywhere even though they were supposed to be like 5% of the mix...)
    I've planted this mix for the past 7 or 8 years.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Early on, I mixed it with some brassica

https://www.amazon.com/Flagline-7025...volved+habitat

......but that's a mistake. The brassica grows faster than the oats and peas . And it has big leaves , so it shades out everything else. I got nothing but brassica. Although, that's not entirely a bad thing cuz the turnip has a deep tap root, that brings up nutrients from deeper in the soil.

I have one brassica plant in my entire plot, and I'm really not sure how it got there. It has to be a carryover from past years.

I get leaves in the fall from local landscape crews and I add those as mulch and use them for compost, but that and the winter cover is all I ever add to the garden. Every year, I get a soil test from the OSU Ext, and every year I get the same results. They tell me I will need to add nitrogen at the peak of growing season, like July. And I've never done that
    The following users like this post: ChocoLab