Gardening v.2017

Posted 177 day(s) ago by SoonerAtty14375 Views 235 Replies
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4
    melons look like they need watering...

My garden today

4 users like Hermit's post: Boognish, NickDangerThirdEye, SoonerAtty, Stinger_1066

Last edited by Hermit; April 14th, 2017 at 04:20 PM.

Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
    My garden today

Fukit ............ I don't know how to get a photo from my phone to this board, I use to know, but I forgot.
    imgur

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Last weekend I planted 36 tomato plants, 9 varieties:

Early Girl, Beefsteak, Better Boy, Beef Master, Roma, Super Fantastic, Big Beef, Sweet 100, Large Cherry,

14 peppers: Habenero, Hot Cherry, Sriracha, Jalepeno, Big Bertha, Red Bell, Yellow Bell, Sweet Bell, California Wonder, Lady Bell

Couple of zuchs. Couple of watermellons. Need to build a trellis for the cucumbers to climb before I plant those.

Will post pics when I have time.
    Stinger - I admire your zeal! But you're going to be a tired, sweating guy come late June and July.

Geez, I think the most I ever planted was maybe 13 tomato plants, and those kept me busy pinching off shoots, watering, fertilizing, spraying for horn worms, aphids, disease, etc., but once it gets hot and humid, I just hated going out, plus warding off mosquitoes, picking tomatoes, I come back in dripping wet with sweat. That's when I think just go down to the Edmond farmer's market and buy their tomatoes. I know they're crazy expensive, but it's a heck of a lot less hassle, time and frustration with the disease, bugs, etc.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Last edited by NickDangerThirdEye; April 14th, 2017 at 11:36 PM.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    imgur
    Dayummm that's much better than Photobucket,, gawd that site was killin me.

When I was 15 & 16 my dad planted a 100’ x 100’ garden… We had free company water. It was like working a job… We planted 50 tomato plants. I was picking a 5 gallon bucket of tomatoes nearly every day for a time. I helped my mom can, freeze and preserve. We even made homemade ketchup. It was outstanding.
    I would be cheaper to go to the farmers market than trying to grow what I do today.
    2 users like OU48A's post: NickDangerThirdEye, Stinger_1066

So you can get tomatoes with home grown flavor at the farmers market ?

baseline pics...
    hopefully it will look a lot different in a couple weeks...

2 users like 87sooner's post: NickDangerThirdEye, SoonerAtty

Soil looks like a sandy loam.

My garden today

I like your irrigation system. What are the dimensions? 16' by 20'???

Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    Stinger - I admire your zeal! But you're going to be a tired, sweating guy come late June and July.

Geez, I think the most I ever planted was maybe 13 tomato plants, and those kept me busy pinching off shoots, watering, fertilizing, spraying for horn worms, aphids, disease, etc., but once it gets hotted humid, I just hated going out, plus warding off mosquitoes, picking tomatoes, I come back in dripping wet with sweat. That's when I think just go down to the Edmond farmer's market and buy their tomatoes. I know they're crazy expensive, but it's a heck of a lot less hassle, time and frustration with the disease, bugs, etc.
    Meh. I've been doing this for 25 years. I'm an early riser. I'll get out there at first light every day and work on it for a half hour or so, then take a dip in the pool before I have to start work (I work from home).

baseline pics...
    hopefully it will look a lot different in a couple weeks...

Yours looks a lot bigger than mine. You need to plant more than 6 tomatoes.
    The following users like this post: NickDangerThirdEye

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    I like your irrigation system. What are the dimensions? 16' by 20'???

Meh. I've been doing this for 25 years. I'm an early riser. I'll get out there at first light every day and work on it for a half hour or so, then take a dip in the pool before I have to start work (I work from home).

Yours looks a lot bigger than mine. You need to plant more than 6 tomatoes.
    about 20 x 40
    i like space to move around between things...
    i try to alternate things that will be removed early....like potatoes/corn.....in between things that will stay all summer.....like tomatoes/beans/cukes....
    also.....my zuchini plants can get absolutely massive......as do cantaloupes.....so i try to give them plenty of space....
    and i didn't even plant broccoli this year....
    2 users like 87sooner's post: NickDangerThirdEye, Stinger_1066

Soil looks like a sandy loam.
    more loam then sand....probly a bit too much clay.....it was in desperate need of some organic matter....hence the 2 loads of sheep manure...

Maybe I'm missing something here, Hermit, but isn't the reason people go to the farmers market (rather than the grocery store) to get home grown without the hard work?
    2 users like IKILLYOU!'s post: NickDangerThirdEye, OU48A

more loam then sand....probly a bit too much clay.....it was in desperate need of some organic matter....hence the 2 loads of sheep manure...
    I haven't heard much about using sheep manure before. Is it better as far as growing ("heat" etc.) or is it more a matter of your having a convenient source for it?

Originally Posted by ChocoLab View Post
    I haven't heard much about using sheep manure before. Is it better as far as growing ("heat" etc.) or is it more a matter of your having a convenient source for it?
    convenience....
    a guy about a mile away cleans out his barn and puts it in a nice pile....
    i drive over with my tractor/loader and get as much as i want...
    The following users like this post: ChocoLab

Kind of depends. The last few years, there have been slim pickings. A lot of the merchants say they have home grown or field grown, then pull out boxes from Texas or Colorado. The last few years have been difficult years for growing maters, and same with the people that go to farmers market and sell their maters.

But, yes, you can find home grown flavor when the weather cooperates.
    3 users like NickDangerThirdEye's post: IKILLYOU!, OU48A, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    Kind of depends. The last few years, there have been slim pickings. A lot of the merchants say they have home grown or field grown, then pull out boxes from Texas or Colorado. The last few years have been difficult years for growing maters, and same with the people that go to farmers market and sell their maters.

But, yes, you can find home grown flavor when the weather cooperates.
    Yep, I've seen them selling tomatoes from out of state.

I had a pretty good crop in 2015, but last year sucked.

Originally Posted by IKILLYOU! View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, Hermit, but isn't the reason people go to the farmers market (rather than the grocery store) to get home grown without the hard work?
    Tomatoes would depend upon how and when they were harvested, as to whether they keep their flavor. I think the size of the operation, would influence how they do that.

Really, my tomato garden is not a lot of work, it just takes time. The hardest thing I do is making the raised rows. Tilling is second, but the garden is only 20 X 24 . I wish I had some kind of furrowing attachment to put on the back of my front tine tiller that would help make the raised row. They make one for rear tine tillers, but rear tine would be hard to manuever in my garden. But I'm rethinking the raised rows, altogether. And some people are doing no-till gardening now.
    The following users like this post: IKILLYOU!

It’s a hit or miss type of deal….. When I have gone to a farmers market I try to find the most local grower… I sometimes buy a small sample and then if it’s good I try to go back to the same grower each visit

Bought 3 mild and 3 regular Jalapeno plants today and a couple of tomatoes. Got the basil quota at the Jenks Herb Festival. Saw a new variety that has tiny leaves for sprinkling. I thought that was a good idea as they can turn dark when you cut them. Probably will have to wait until next weekend to get them in if it rains like they say. I will get 4 more tomatoes next week at the Sand Springs Herb Festival, and round out the garden with a couple of rows of corn and a few rows of carrots.

Garden tomatoes are great and all, but garden carrots are really sweet. You can keep planting them. I kept pulling them until the winter.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    Bought 3 mild and 3 regular Jalapeno plants today and a couple of tomatoes. Got the basil quota at the Jenks Herb Festival. Saw a new variety that has tiny leaves for sprinkling. I thought that was a good idea as they can turn dark when you cut them. Probably will have to wait until next weekend to get them in if it rains like they say. I will get 4 more tomatoes next week at the Sand Springs Herb Festival, and round out the garden with a couple of rows of corn and a few rows of carrots.

Garden tomatoes are great and all, but garden carrots are really sweet. You can keep planting them. I kept pulling them until the winter.
    interesting....i thought they are cool season....and only planted in like february/early march...

interesting....i thought they are cool season....and only planted in like february/early march...
    I've grown these for two years. I think they'd grow in a rock pile.

http://www.burpee.com/vegetables/car...rod000639.html

Home grown carrots are very tasty… I like to plant in mid-July for a fall crop which can be tricky due to the heat…. If they survive the summer heat I cover them up with a large sheet of plastic to protect against freezing weather…. The old timers would cover their root crops with a deep cover of straw / hay and preserve them in the ground all winter long, even way up north.

If they have done well I usually dig up a 5 gallon bucket full shortly before Christmas. My dogs have always loved my carrots…. but they don’t like store bought carrots.
    Growing good carrots is one reason why I have been gradually amending my soil down to a depth of around 20 inches.

I have had good luck with the 6 to 8” carrots but I wish I could find some type of carrot that could better stand our heat at MY planting time. The small seeds are a giant pain in the butt for my 3X size hands. It helps that I have a 3’ long ¾” PVC pipe that I drop the seeds down…
    3 users like OU48A's post: ChocoLab, NickDangerThirdEye, SoonerAtty

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Home grown carrots are very tasty… I like to plant in mid-July for a fall crop which can be tricky due to the heat…. If they survive the summer heat I cover them up with a large sheet of plastic to protect against freezing weather…. The old timers would cover their root crops with a deep cover of straw / hay and preserve them in the ground all winter long, even way up north.

If they have done well I usually dig up a 5 gallon bucket full shortly before Christmas. My dogs have always loved my carrots…. but they don’t like store bought carrots.
    Growing good carrots is one reason why I have been gradually amending my soil down to a depth of around 20 inches.

I have had good luck with the 6 to 8” carrots but I wish I could find some type of carrot that could better stand our heat at MY planting time. The small seeds are a giant pain in the butt for my 3X size hands. It helps that I have a 3’ long ¾” PVC pipe that I drop the seeds down…
    My next door neighbor has a syringe looking thing to plant his. I just sprinkle then thin them out. I like those shorties I posted above because they're short and fat. 68 days to harvest so I'll have the first batch around July 1. I just peel and slice them and put them in the freezer.

If they do well I may try to can a basket weave design and enter it in the Tulsa Fair just for kicks to piss off the late folk.

And straw (plus a mild winter) is why I got them so late last year. I put down straw by the end of June.

I don't like drip hoses because our heat tends to split them by August. This year I bought some rubber tubing to try. I'm going to try to set it up so I can use it the same way next year. It's sure convenient to set the timer to water an hour or so every morning. It's especially helpful when I'm on the road several days at a stretch.
    2 users like SoonerAtty's post: OU48A, Slytherin

My next door neighbor has a syringe looking thing to plant his. I just sprinkle then thin them out. I like those shorties I posted above because they're short and fat. 68 days to harvest so I'll have the first batch around July 1. I just peel and slice them and put them in the freezer.

If they do well I may try to can a basket weave design and enter it in the Tulsa Fair just for kicks to piss off the late folk.

And straw (plus a mild winter) is why I got them so late last year. I put down straw by the end of June.

I don't like drip hoses because our heat tends to split them by August. This year I bought some rubber tubing to try. I'm going to try to set it up so I can use it the same way next year. It's sure convenient to set the timer to water an hour or so every morning. It's especially helpful when I'm on the road several days at a stretch.
    My wife calls her hours ****ing with growing things "dirt therapy." I know a lot about it...but I'd just as soon buy tomatoes and veggies from the 90 year old neighbor lady who's grown that shit since before I was born. I do see the pleasure/relief she gets from growing shit and I'm sure you have to get some satisfaction out of it too. Good for you. It's a lot cheaper than drugs, and the end results are delicious.

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    My wife calls her hours ****ing with growing things "dirt therapy." I know a lot about it...but I'd just as soon buy tomatoes and veggies from the 90 year old neighbor lady who's grown that shit since before I was born. I do see the pleasure/relief she gets from growing shit and I'm sure you have to get some satisfaction out of it too. Good for you. It's a lot cheaper than drugs, and the end results are delicious.
    Your wife or your neighbor are welcome to post some gardening stuff if they want. But we're all appreciative of your approval I guess.
    5 users like SoonerAtty's post: 87sooner, GoonerSooner, Hermit, Mjcpr, OU48A

Your wife or your neighbor are welcome to post some gardening stuff if they want. But we're all appreciative of your approval I guess.
    There's no higher honor. I guess. Touchy...

Did herbs for the first time last year and it was REALLY nice when a recipe calls for fresh herbs, I don't have to pay $1.99 for ten times what I need. I have big, nice rosemary and parsley bushes growing now. used up all the thyme, basil, etc. so I'll do that again soon.

I have best luck with celebrity tomatoes and the orange cherry tomatoes. They were quite prolific last summer.
    4 users like nocalsooner's post: ChocoLab, NickDangerThirdEye, OU48A, SoonerAtty

Originally Posted by nocalsooner View Post
    Did herbs for the first time last year and it was REALLY nice when a recipe calls for fresh herbs, I don't have to pay $1.99 for ten times what I need. I have big, nice rosemary and parsley bushes growing now. used up all the thyme, basil, etc. so I'll do that again soon.

I have best luck with celebrity tomatoes and the orange cherry tomatoes. They were quite prolific last summer.
    I planted the herbs in big pots on the patio yesterday, along with Million Bell, Lantana, and whatever else the wife picked. When it gets really hot, I will have to set more basil. It's not as hearty as the rosemary. I plan on putting in the remainder of the garden by Sunday afternoon.

Wife and I started a garden out here in Vegas this year. We will see how it goes, if it works at least it'll make us eat a bit healthier.

Built a 4x8 raised bed out of 2x8s and filled with a good mix of bagged soil, several pots for stuff like blackberries, artichoke, asparagus and grapes. Also wanted to try to go cheap and easy so I filled a couple of those small round kid pools that I had laying around. Garden is on the east side of the house, so it'll be protected from the brunt of the late afternoon sun we get here in the middle of the summer. Also built a canopy with 30% shade cloth over it.

Planted okra, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, spinach, lettuce, corn, potatoes, shallots, sweet onions and a couple other things I cant remember off the top of my head. Our cucumbers died pretty quickly, not sure why. The zucchini right next to them completely took off and is pretty much dominating at the moment. Most everything else is looking pretty good, about time to start harvesting some spinach and lettuce leaves.
    4 users like ResidentEvil's post: ChocoLab, Hermit, NickDangerThirdEye, SoonerAtty

Originally Posted by ResidentEvil View Post
    Wife and I started a garden out here in Vegas this year. We will see how it goes, if it works at least it'll make us eat a bit healthier.

Built a 4x8 raised bed out of 2x8s and filled with a good mix of bagged soil, several pots for stuff like blackberries, artichoke, asparagus and grapes. Also wanted to try to go cheap and easy so I filled a couple of those small round kid pools that I had laying around. Garden is on the east side of the house, so it'll be protected from the brunt of the late afternoon sun we get here in the middle of the summer. Also built a canopy with 30% shade cloth over it.

Planted okra, tomatoes, zucchini, cucumber, spinach, lettuce, corn, potatoes, shallots, sweet onions and a couple other things I cant remember off the top of my head. Our cucumbers died pretty quickly, not sure why. The zucchini right next to them completely took off and is pretty much dominating at the moment. Most everything else is looking pretty good, about time to start harvesting some spinach and lettuce leaves.
    I was raised in the desert. Lots of those vegetables you listed are mighty tough to grow even with shade and lots of water. The no-miss plants? Peppers. Jalapenos do great, habaneros even better. And you can grow some really nice tomatoes if you give them some relief from the heat. And squash, like you said will take off in the early season but it too will burn smooth up soon.

Haven't paid much attention to my tomato plants the last week, went out to put them back in the cages before the rain keeps me out of the garden ............ and hey, I got tomatoes . Both Big Beef and New Girl have set fruit .

5 users like Hermit's post: ChocoLab, NickDangerThirdEye, OU48A, SoonerAtty, Stinger_1066

Set 6 pepper plants, 2 tomatoes (I need 4 more), 2 rows of carrots, a row of white radishes (free pack of seeds from the Master Gardener booth), 2 rows of corn, 2 rows of bush beans, and a hill of squash (just to see if the year without starved the squash bugs out). Pot potatoes have grown up enough so that they needed more dirt.

Now I will wait for the rain to water it in.

well…..my corn seed was all bad….none of it came up….
    so i got some new seed at atwoods and planted it today before the big rain tomorrow…
    beans are coming up nicely altho one variety was also old seed so i replanted that with new..
    dukes are coming up…..
    tomatoes are not doing much yet ...

well…..my corn seed was all bad….none of it came up….
    so i got some new seed at atwoods and planted it today before the big rain tomorrow…
    beans are coming up nicely altho one variety was also old seed so i replanted that with new..
    dukes are coming up…..
    tomatoes are not doing much yet ...
    I keep leftover seeds in the freezer, but I always chicken out and buy new. You ever freeze them?

I keep leftover seeds in the freezer, but I always chicken out and buy new. You ever freeze them?
    my sister does that…i've never tried it….
    i need to throw all my seed away….it's way too old to waste time with it…
    the corn seed was in ziplock baggies so i don't even know when or where i got it…
    i had problems getting cuke seeds to grow last year…
    probly should keep them no longer than a year or two..
    i bet i have some seed over 10 years old..

Approximate dates of my first tomatoes the past three years from my picture files ..

May 21, 2016

May 17, 2015

May 28, 2014

I'm a full month ahead this year.
    2 users like Hermit's post: SoonerAtty, Stinger_1066

Set 6 pepper plants, 2 tomatoes (I need 4 more), 2 rows of carrots, a row of white radishes (free pack of seeds from the Master Gardener booth),
    Do you know if those white radishes (I assume like icicle type?) will do okay this time of year? I've learned I really like daikons, but they don't do anything this time of year -- foliage gets big but the root stays tiny. Those have to be done when the days are getting shorter.

Almost got some of those icicles the other day but was afraid they'd do the same thing...

Do you know if those white radishes (I assume like icicle type?) will do okay this time of year? I've learned I really like daikons, but they don't do anything this time of year -- foliage gets big but the root stays tiny. Those have to be done when the days are getting shorter.

Almost got some of those icicles the other day but was afraid they'd do the same thing...
    I might be able to answer your question if I had even bothered to read the packet. Lol. I left the remainder in the shed. I'll look when I can get back out there in a day or two. I just saw radishes and threw them in.

They are called Lilly Miller White Icicles. The back says plant February thru April and August thru October. If they are any good I'll plant some in the fall.

How's everyone's gardening going?

I have a tangential question..,. maybe should make a new thread but I'll put it here for now.

Anyone know about drilling water wells?

To water my home garden (and lawn) without spending a fortune -- we've missed the rains you OK guys have gotten and are really dry in north Texas -- I got an old fashioned hand auger and drilled a well in my backyard. Lots of people have wells here near the lake, and I witched around (another topic entirely) and found a few good spots.

Last night I hit what I thought was good water at about nine feet. The water was at least a couple of feet deep in the hole, and this morning was at least five feet deep. But I kept drilling down to about 15 feet, and never hit sand, just more clay. Pumped out what water was in there and there's not much left. Apparently the water is just barely trickling in now.

Anyone have any idea what could have happened? I thought water could only travel through sand or gravel, but I haven't seen any of that. Could I have just nicked the edge of an underground pool or something? Any ideas?

I have a tangential question..,. maybe should make a new thread but I'll put it here for now.

To water my home garden (and lawn) without spending a fortune -- we've missed the rains you OK guys have gotten and are really dry in north Texas -- I got an old fashioned hand auger and drilled a well in my backyard. Lots of people have wells here near the lake, and I witched around (another topic entirely) and found a few good spots.

Last night I hit what I thought was good water at about nine feet. The water was at least a couple of feet deep in the hole, and this morning was at least five feet deep. But I kept drilling down to about 15 feet, and never hit sand, just more clay. Pumped out what water was in there and there's not much left. Apparently the water is just barely trickling in now.

Anyone have any idea what could have happened? I thought water could only travel through sand or gravel, but I haven't seen any of that. Could I have just nicked the edge of an underground pool or something? Any ideas?
    I've done this once in my life, using 1" pipe connected to a garden hose. At the end of the pipe, we reduced it down to 1/4" opening, so we had a pretty good jet thing goin. We used water pressure to drill the hole, with the water coming back up outside the pipe. When we got to the water sand, we lost circulation. All the water we sent down , went into the sand.

This was in Lake Jackson, Tx ..........right down on the coast and there was a bayou in the back of the yard. So the water sand was not very deep, I think we used two 10' joints of pipe, and there was no clay , it was just soft sand that we could blow out with water pressure.

I doubt that helps you any , but it reminded me of a fun project.

Thanks Hermit. I know that place a little... Girlfriend from SW Houston and I used to go to Surfside beach through there.

Anyway, that's actually the way most people do it, from what I see on the web. I could have tried that, but just didn't want the mess. Plus I have a fence to build soon, so I thought I could use the auger for that, too. It's pretty amazing how well and how easily it digs through even solid clay. It only took me maybe an hour to get 10' deep.

BTW, finished the full 16' and don't think I'll do any more. It's just pure red clay, no sign of sand or gravel other than a couple of pebbles. Hole has probably 7-8' of water in it again, so maybe I can at least put a hand pump on it and fill 5 gallon buckets to water my trees. If my next few tries don't turn out better.

So how did that well turn out?

Thanks Hermit. I know that place a little... Girlfriend from SW Houston and I used to go to Surfside beach through there.

So how did that well turn out?
    IDK, we drilled that for my Uncle, over the Fourth of July weekend .............and I never got back with my Uncle.

have you talked to any well drilling companies about your area?
    are there any good wells close by?
    ground water is a strange thing.....someone can have a great well a 1/4-1/2 mile away...and you may have a dry hole....

are there any good wells close by?
    ground water is a strange thing.....someone can have a great well a 1/4-1/2 mile away...and you may have a dry hole....

Wells are out of my range of knowledge for sure.

I'm in a holding pattern with the garden. It's taken a pretty good beat down. The carrots and beans are up. The corn is about 60% up. The tomatoes and peppers look like they've taken a beating but may be ok. Saturday is going to be a big work day.

most of my stuff is up....but the only thing that is growing/making progress is the potatoes....
    the corn/beans/cukes/zukes are just sitting there doing nothing...
    the tomatoes look like they haven't grown since i put them in the ground...
    i think we need some warmer weather/sunshine...

No, I really haven't. My mom and dad used one a few years ago during the drought, but it was a dry hole and still cost a ton to drill. Of course during the drought, the drillers were in huge demand and probably charging more than they ever had. But I really just meant for this to be a fun and cheap project from the start anyway. (Have to admit it was pretty exciting when I actually hit water last night.)

I guess I could call one and see if they'd give me some advice, though. Still don't see how I got what meager amount I got through pretty much solid clay.

Also, I'm with you on the vegetables. Squash and tomatoes aren't doing much -- I think it just hasn't been warm enough lately. At least my onions have turned out really well.

No, I really haven't. My mom and dad used one a few years ago during the drought, but it was a dry hole and still cost a ton to drill. Of course during the drought, the drillers were in huge demand and probably charging more than they ever had. But I really just meant for this to be a fun and cheap project from the start anyway. (Have to admit it was pretty exciting when I actually hit water last night.)

I guess I could call one and see if they'd give me some advice, though. Still don't see how I got what meager amount I got through pretty much solid clay.

Also, I'm with you on the vegetables. Squash and tomatoes aren't doing much -- I think it just hasn't been warm enough lately. At least my onions have turned out really well.
    do you know anyone in the neighborhood with a well?
    i'd talk to a couple of drilling companies...
    ask them about the prospects in your area...
    if they say there are wells....ask them how deep they are...(don't tell them you're going to drill it yourself)....
    water sand can be all over the place......around here it can run 15 ft to 50 or 60 ft.....