Gardening v.2017

Posted 117 day(s) ago by SoonerAtty6983 Views 164 Replies
Page 4 of 4 2 3 4
    Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    So, did you sit outlast night with your gun and wait on him.

i was planning to go out about dusk to see if i could find it out in the yard....but i forgot...
    so about 11:00 i grab my flashlight and my .22 and head outside....
    i went around to the garden and i noticed the straw had been disturbed INSIDE the garden.....(i had put up some chicken wire to keep it out)...
    so i went in the garden and started searching for the little ****......and near the cucumber plant there was a mound of straw....and it was moving......
    the straw is probly 8-10 inches thick....and it was completely under the straw digging in the dirt...i couldn't even see what it was....
    so i just shot a couple of times into the mound and the armadillo came running out at high speed.....when it encountered the fence i put 3 or 4 more bullets in it to finish the job...(one for each bean plant it destroyed)
    my wife thinks it burrowed a hole and was in the garden yesterday when i put the fence up.....so it was trapped inside..
    fortunately it didn't destroy any more plants....and hopefully that's the only one....

Irrigation system from lowes seems to work better than soaker hoses that split in the heat. Only a 3-beer job. I'll set up the timer and put on the straw and then it's only picking.

The following users like this post: ChocoLab

My tomatoes are producing like gangbusters, but my peppers are the suck. I've never had problems growing peppers before. Only one zuke and one cuke survived, but they are doing well now.

got a nice rain last nite....about 8/10ths of an inch.....garden should do nicely this week...
    could have done without the wind tho....some of my corn is leaning
    The following users like this post: NickDangerThirdEye

cukes are coming in strong.......
    probly my favorite garden veggie...
    biggest one is about 15-16 inches long...

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    cukes are coming in strong.......
    probly my favorite garden veggie...
    biggest one is about 15-16 inches long...

lol poor

got a nice rain last nite....about 8/10ths of an inch.....garden should do nicely this week...
    could have done without the wind tho....some of my corn is leaning
    My corn was pointing West at about a 60 degree angle. I put it back straight and am keeping my fingers crossed.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    My tomatoes are producing like gangbusters, but my peppers are the suck. I've never had problems growing peppers before. Only one zuke and one cuke survived, but they are doing well now.
    Same problem here. Last year I got over 80 bell peppers off 8 plants. This year I started with 12 plants and I'm down to 4. I think it is some kind of bacteria or fungus. The 4 that are left are only about 8 inches tall and aren't growing much. I have tried fungicide, neem oil, fertilizer and root stimulator. Last year I just stuck them in the ground and they went nuts. Okra are slow too but tomatoes are looking good.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    My corn was pointing West at about a 60 degree angle. I put it back straight and am keeping my fingers crossed.
    do you do anything to control ear worms?
    i've read about using mineral/vegetable oil on the ear tips when the silk starts to dry up.....
    wondering if anyone has any proven control methods...

and speaking of corn......it's looking tremendous...
    if all goes well....i'm going to have ears coming out of my ears...
    i have 3 varieties.......the 70 day variety is pushing 6 1/2 ft tall...

2 users like 87sooner's post: NickDangerThirdEye, StroudSooner

do you do anything to control ear worms?
    i've read about using mineral/vegetable oil on the ear tips when the silk starts to dry up.....
    wondering if anyone has any proven control methods...
    Nah. I just cut off that part. I have not tried to put anything on it.

Last year was the first year I got corn. I tried growing it years ago, and didn't do any good.

Your corn is doing well.

A few ears popped up since Sunday on my leaning corn. I fertilized everything tonight. Hoping to jump start the peppers.

i think my tomatoes have started their death march.....
    leaves at the bottom are starting to turn yellow/brown....
    happens every year when the heat sets in...
    i have no idea what causes it ....but it's not lack of water...

i think my tomatoes have started their death march.....
    leaves at the bottom are starting to turn yellow/brown....
    happens every year when the heat sets in...
    i have no idea what causes it ....but it's not lack of water...
    Its called " leaf septoria " . Its a fungus, I think, it mostly comes from the soil but can also be air born. It starts on the bottom leaves and works its way up the plant. Some of the most knowledgeable tomato people I have read, can't find a good solution. I saw an OSU professor on Oklahoma Gardening who says to mulch with cottonseed hulls, I do that , doesn't help much. You can spray with a fungicide, I think Daconil is name brand, but I don't like spraying my plants with anything.

I get this every year. My plants are gone by first of August. And this year , since I planted two weeks early, they will be gone by first week of July. I have some that its reached the top of a six foot plant.

Some have had success with sterilizing their soil in August. They put down black plastic with coiled soaker hose underneath to keep it wet. And let the heat kill out the diseases. I may try that this year since my plants will be done my mid July.