Gardening v.2017

Posted 211 day(s) ago by SoonerAtty18420 Views 245 Replies
Page 5 of 5 3 4 5
    Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    I have been spot spraying at a ratio of 2 oz. to a gallon.
    The MSMA is working very well.
    I have noticed Dallisgrass in many yards this year
    does it kill crabgrass?
    buffalo grass?

Yes, kills crabgrass. Don't know about Buffalo grass. Will turn Bermuda yellow for a while.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

my zuchini is toast...
    my beans are trying to make a comeback...
    the tomato plants are 6 ft tall with hardly any fruit on them.....
    i have about 30 cukes in my fridge....
    and the cantaloupe is trying to take over half the garden...

The following users like this post: ChocoLab

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    my zuchini is toast...
    [/IMG]
    I'm inundated with sweet cherry tomatoes. Also getting quite a few beefsteaks. The medium size varieties are no ripening as quickly, but I lots of green ones on the vine.

I've had only 3 cukes so far. And no zuchs. There two small ones out there, but they aren't make much progress.

Pepper production has been zero, which is really strange. I normally get way more peppers than I need.
    The following users like this post: OU48A

Got some good eating this week.

5 users like SoonerAtty's post: ChocoLab, guest, JBret, OU48A, Stinger_1066

Dawn dish soap and a little water in a spray bottle.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/MSMA-Target-...MAAOSwIaFZJv1L

you're welcome...
    now i gotta get back to my armadillo patrols...

Originally Posted by CrimsonHeaven View Post
    Dawn dish soap and a little water in a spray bottle.
    is that for armadillos or the "need a gas line installed" thread?

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    Pepper production has been zero, which is really strange. I normally get way more peppers than I need.
    Mine have been terrible this year, too. Very little production and the ones that have made have been way undersized and misshapen. Very weird. And this is across about eight or ten different plants in two different beds.

My Superfantastic tomato plant is still making lots of fruit, but I'm nursing along a Black Krim (a rogue squash plant came up too close to it) to see how those look and taste.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

is that for armadillos or the "need a gas line installed" thread?
    Bugs, pests.............where the hell do you live to be fighting armadillos?

Bugs, pests.............where the hell do you live to be fighting armadillos?
    garfield county....

3 users like Slytherin's post: CrimsonHeaven, RockE, SoonerAtty

my zuchini is toast...

Is that squash bug leftovers? I did a squash in a bucket 150' from the garden. I swear tonight I looked at it and killed 6 squash bugs and tore off 2 leaves with eggs.

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    Is that squash bug leftovers? I did a squash in a bucket 150' from the garden. I swear tonight I looked at it and killed 6 squash bugs and tore off 2 leaves with eggs.
    i'm not really sure......
    i picked off all the adult squash bugs i could find almost daily......usually about 5-6 per day....
    then i saw a bunch of baby bugs so i sprayed it....
    it died a slow death but i can't find any bugs on it now......
    i guess it had to be the squash bugs.....the borers usually kill it overnight......

Yep. The squash bugs make the stems yellow. I sprayed some sevin on them tonight and they pulled out a back brush and started showering. Then I got pissed and started squashing the squash bugs. It's too late. Had 5 nice squash about an inch long.

garfield county....
    Enid? Oh hell, surely not pond creek or pioneer.

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    Bea;utiful
    The following users like this post: Slytherin

Bea;utiful
    Hay field out back. Not the garden. The dang blackberries where I don't spray are producing like big dogs. That was a quick handful I picked and tossed down my gullet the other day while baling. Very, very good this year.

Enid? Oh hell, surely not pond creek or pioneer.
    let's just say "close to enid" and call it good

btw....i picked 20 more cukes this evening...

Ringwood, I knew it.

I'm googling cuke. wtf?

Ringwood, I knew it.
    Lahoma. Every post is a speed trap.

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    Lahoma. Every post is a speed trap.
    I got my ass beat in basketball there one time so now you are on probation. I scored 27 and my team scored 42. We lost by 20. Not enemies yet but I'm watching you.............

Hay field out back. Not the garden. The dang blackberries where I don't spray are producing like big dogs. That was a quick handful I picked and tossed down my gullet the other day while baling. Very, very good this year.
    Pick those mothers, I want to make some wine.

Two syllables: cob - ler
    The following users like this post: ChocoLab

Garden is over with this heat. Water like heck and it will come back when the temps drop hopefully.

i'm going to water every day to try to save the cukes/cantaloupes and beans...
    i watered some of my trees and c**** myrtles today too....
    the lawn is going to have to suffer.....i don't water grass

my cantaloupe is taking over the garden.......getting close to 20 ft diameter
    there are around 20 cantaloupes set on the plant......one is getting close to being ready to pick..
    if it isn't sweet....i may pull the whole plant....

the cukes are struggling.....gonna try spraying for mites again this evening....

I canned 6 pints and 2 half pints of candied jalapeños today.

3 users like SoonerAtty's post: OU48A, sooner59, SportyJames

the first 5 cantaloupes split/rotted.....got my first today that is perfect...
    cukes still going strong..

The following users like this post: NickDangerThirdEye

My 2017 garden is done. I pulled all the tomato plants out this week and they were collected by the garbage truck today.

Time to plant my winter cover .... Austrian Pea and Oats,

I still have a few green tomatoes on the vine.....and blooms.
    I planted an entire package of carrots 15 days ago…those are a pain the butt to plant but they are now up…with a lot of weeds.

The rain and cooler weather has been good. I've got some new growth and flowers on some tomato plants. I'm going to spray the fungicide on them tomorrow and try to get a fall garden. The jalapeños are still going nuts. I probably have 5 or 6 pints of pickled or candied jalapeños that I'll put up tomorrow. The bells looked promising for some fall peppers. Going to have to pull some carrots also.

i'm finally picking beans....and they are delicious
    unfortunately the cantaloupes are threatening to overgrow them......

Headed out early this morning to pull weeds before it gets too hot. Tried to yesterday around 3 in the afternoon. Big mistake.

Tomatoes still doing well, especially the cherry variety. I have hundreds of ripe cherries.

We keep a bowl full in the kitchen and eat them like they are miniature candies.

My cherry tomatoes are doing well, too, but the variety producing the most doesn't have much flavor. I did manage to get one Cherokee Purple last week that was what you live for in the tomato world. Good sized, smooth meat, sweet, thin skin.

Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    My cherry tomatoes are doing well, too, but the variety producing the most doesn't have much flavor. I did manage to get one Cherokee Purple last week that was what you live for in the tomato world. Good sized, smooth meat, sweet, thin skin.
    I almost tried one of those this year... Did a black krim instead, which I think is pretty similar (dark colored, anyway).

What else is going on with you guys' gardens? Doing anything different for the fall?

We've been really dry so that's hurt some, but for the most part my plants are growing like crazy even though their production is lousy. Pretty sure I got too many plants in too small a space. At least my peppers are finally producing, though the peppers aren't close to ripe yet.

I need to pull some things to make some space and grow some daikon radishes. Put some seeds out a while ago but the squash are so huge, they're shading them out.

Mine are still doing well. I made 7 quarts of salsa from my Sunday haul.
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: ChocoLab, SportyJames

Mine are still doing well. I made 7 quarts of salsa from my Sunday haul.
    How do you make yours? What do you put in it?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by SportyJames View Post
    How do you make yours? What do you put in it?
    Tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers with the rind still on, red onion, green peppers, garlic, salt, cumin.

I'm never consistent with the ratios, so each batch tastes a little different. I sometimes use other types of peppers if I have them.

Having fresh, ripe tomatoes is what makes it good.

Every batch I make, my wife says is the best ever.
    The following users like this post: the-rover

Tomatoes, jalapenos, cucumbers with the rind still on, red onion, green peppers, garlic, salt, cumin.

I'm never consistent with the ratios, so each batch tastes a little different. I sometimes use other types of peppers if I have them.

Having fresh, ripe tomatoes is what makes it good.

Every batch I make, my wife says is the best ever.
    Sounds interesting with the cukes....may have to try a batch with that. I try to have some tomatillo in mine, otherwise, like most folks, probably the same basic ingredients. Whatever kind of peppers I have, gotta have cumin. Without a doubt though, the tomatoes are what make the difference....homegrown beats any.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
    Sounds interesting with the cukes....may have to try a batch with that. I try to have some tomatillo in mine, otherwise, like most folks, probably the same basic ingredients. Whatever kind of peppers I have, gotta have cumin. Without a doubt though, the tomatoes are what make the difference....homegrown beats any.
    I'm overflowed with homegrown so I've been bagging and freezing mine. I make the salsa, then put into individual quart sized baggies. The capsaicin in the peppers will keep it fresh even while frozen.

After thawing out I strain out some of the liquid. It always comes out more runny than it was before I froze it. Then I check the taste. Sometimes I have to spruce it up a little with some fresh veggies, but most of the time it is fine as is.

I have peppers and carrots to pick this weekend. Still getting some cherries, and the big tomatoes are trying, but I have not been out there this week. I have watered 3 nights though.

I'm overflowed with homegrown so I've been bagging and freezing mine. I make the salsa, then put into individual quart sized baggies. The capsaicin in the peppers will keep it fresh even while frozen.

After thawing out I strain out some of the liquid. It always comes out more runny than it was before I froze it. Then I check the taste. Sometimes I have to spruce it up a little with some fresh veggies, but most of the time it is fine as is.
    I have frozen some salsa before, but I usually don't have that much. If I have extra, I usually just give it away. I should give canning a try.

Getting some nice, sweet apples from a young tree. I don't remember what variety...look like Jonathon

i'm still picking cukes and beans ...
    got about 25 cukes today and about 1/2 gallon of beans...