Is it possible football players don't love the game as much as we do?

4. The Ugly Truth About Playing in the NFL
    Wesley Hitt/Getty Images
    On rare occasions, some players will tell the complete truth. All of the pretenses falls. The cliches die. And we get an inside look at what they're really thinking, minus the PR spin.
    Former tight end Jordan Cameron, who recently retired after suffering his fourth concussion in six seasons, recently did just that.
    After Cameron announced his retirement, ESPN's Pat McManamon asked him whether he loved football. His answer was fascinating:
    I don't think a lot of these guys love football, to be honest. A lot of them don't. You play for other reasons, and every guy has their own reason. They know why, and as long as your why is really important, you keep playing without really loving football.
    Because really, who loves to get hit in 10-degree weather by a 280-pound person? Really, no one likes that. 'Do you love football?' I couldn't stand when people asked me that.
    I have heard this same type of sentiment privately from players for years. A lot of players. They don't want these feelings to go public because some fans who see football in simplistic terms don't fully understand what it takes to play this violent game, and they would be quick to criticize.
    Playing professional football is a job, one of the most violent in the world. Many do it for money, which is the same thing that motivates other people in other jobs.
    Some fans want players to do what they themselves do not, which is love their job. And while players often talk to me about loving the locker room, that's usually as far as their warm feelings go.
    "Do you really love football?" Cameron told McMenamin. "A lot of guys don't really love it. There's a few guys that love it. Ray Lewis loves football. Peyton Manning. They love it. But a lot of guys don't really love this game, and there are players that will read this who will understand exactly what I'm talking about."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2...isingly-rising
    3 users like traxx's post: Redhawk, Spade1000, thunderclapnewman53

His answer wasn't surprising or fascinating at all.

I think kids love to play football. Once it becomes your job or a means to an end, I could very easily see players falling out of love with it.

I don't think college football players love it as much as they once did. Coaches used to love to coach it, players used to love to play it, for the majority now it all depends on how much money or whatever they can get for doing it.

It is very much a business, even at the high school level. Precisely why I cannot get into NFL/NBA.

It's a job for them that grew out of a love. Everyone hates their job to some extent.

Their jobs are ridiculous: totally dependent on nutrition, injury avoidance and 100% athletic ability. That's not to mention the injury potential

"Do you really love football?" Cameron told McMenamin. "A lot of guys don't really love it. There's a few guys that love it. Ray Lewis loves football. Peyton Manning. They love it. But a lot of guys don't really love this game, and there are players that will read this who will understand exactly what I'm talking about."
    So a lot of guys love it and a lot of guys don't. Interesting.
    3 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: lonetreebill, sooneron, Stinger_1066

You probably get the same answer from pro golfers, MMA, pro wrestling etc.

Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    Who cares if those guys love football?

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    Who cares if those guys love football?
    They probably do
    The following users like this post: Mjcpr

Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    I'd really love to know the true answer to that. I would suspect that least violent and more relaxed the sport is, the more the athletes would love it.

I mean a "Pro Bass" fisherman, would probably LOVE what he does.

I think pro-football (American), MMA, Boxing would be on the bottom of "love" scale. Baseball, I think would love it for the most part.

But I'm just guessing.

Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    I'd really love to know the true answer to that. I would suspect that least violent and more relaxed the sport is, the more the athletes would love it.

I think pro-football (American), MMA, Boxing would be on the bottom of "love" scale. Baseball, I think would love it for the most part.

But I'm just guessing.
    It seems that once it becomes a "job" for some their passion seems to wane.
    The following users like this post: sooneron

But I'm just guessing.
    A BASS guy probably loves the fishing until he is told he better start producing some tournament placing or he is going to lose his sponsorship and have no boat or truck to fish off of.

PGA golfer probably loves it til he has been gone for 6 months living In a hotel with two other nobodies and he can't win a damn thing.

I'm sure at some point it all starts to weigh on you one way or the other.
    Either the money, the time. Or the outside obligations just take a toll.

Hell some people **** about winning the lottery. Always something to hate about it.
    2 users like Dagnorbert's post: soonerschooner, Stinger_1066

But I'm just guessing.
    Yea, you could take golfers out of the equation. Any golfer that doesn't love or at least really enjoy making millions of dollars playing golf year around would not be happy with any job, least of all one that could get you killed or severely injured.
    3 users like eightisgreat's post: Homebrewed, RockE, soonerschooner

I know I love watching it but despised two a days with a ****ing passion, still have an annually recurring dream every year in late summer that two a days are approaching and I just spent the entire summer in the AC getting fat, here we go again
    5 users like willie's post: CrimsonHeaven, Mongo, RockE, soonerschooner, Spade1000

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    Yea, you could take golfers out of the equation. Any golfer that doesn't love or at least really enjoy making millions of dollars playing golf year around would not be happy with any job, least of all one that could get you killed or severely injured.
    5 Reasons They Quit Golf

http://golfstinks.com/blog/2012/03/5...quit-golf.html

Practice makes perfect…Or so the saying goes. What that little phrase fails to articulate is how much practice it actually takes to make things perfect. Throw in an impossibly difficult sport like golf and attaining perfection becomes perfectly ridiculous. Now don’t get me wrong, there are a select few who not only have the raw talent to be great at golf, but also have the drive to spend countless hours on the range or putting green practicing…But I’m not one of them. And I surmise not many of you are either. As far as I’m concerned: I’m just too lazy to work that hard at something I’m never going to make a living at in the first place.
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

All sports take unimaginable amounts of time to reach the professional level and then more to maintain that level where you are getting paid. I can easily see how a professional athlete in any sport would become burnt out but know they have to continue because there's not much else out there they could fall back on and make the type of money they are.

Edit: Maz, I was typing that prior to your reply. I know it looks like I was piggybacking but was basically coming up with the same thing you linked.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: Mazeppa, Yuck Fu

Not sure I would love something that looks like it turns your brain into scrambled eggs

of course they don't. Once you put your full effort into something, if you lose or u don't play well, then what else are you gonna do? You did your best, you did ur job.....so f- it.

Fans on the other hand will think about the loss for an entire off-season or longer.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by eightisgreat View Post
    Most pro golfers don't make anywhere close to millions of dollars. There are only 125 members of the PGA Tour each year. Club pros and lower tier players don't make millions.

I have 5 PGA club pros as neighbors and 3 of them have non-golf day jobs in addition to being club pros.

We have a pro golfer who is a LandThieves poster (JDSooner). He played college golf at OU and now works for John Deere (JD). He gets to travel around the country as a rep for John Deere and play only the best courses. I have no idea how much money he makes, but I'd love his job.

But yeah, if you're on the PGA tour and don't love it, you have a mental problem.

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post

But yeah, if you're on the PGA tour and don't love it, you have a mental problem.
    I can see how a pro golfer could get burned out. But it would be sort of in the same category as a male **** star getting burned out................just down the list a little way.

Originally Posted by Dagnorbert View Post
    A BASS guy probably loves the fishing until he is told he better start producing some tournament placing or he is going to lose his sponsorship and have no boat or truck to fish off of.

PGA golfer probably loves it til he has been gone for 6 months living In a hotel with two other nobodies and he can't win a damn thing.

I'm sure at some point it all starts to weigh on you one way or the other.
    Either the money, the time. Or the outside obligations just take a toll.

Hell some people **** about winning the lottery. Always something to hate about it.
    Same story for **** stars. Starts off as fun, railing hot chicks on video. But when you have to nail two or three of the hottest ****es on the planet over and over and over every damn day, it really gets so loathsome. Too much of a good thing becomes...work. So they say.

Almost everyone I knew that played in college was happy when the year was over
    The following users like this post: Saul Good

Originally Posted by REDREX View Post
    Almost everyone I knew that played in college was happy when the year was over
    Same. I had 3 roommates who played football in college. Not one of them really loved the game. They played it because they were good and/or got school paid for. Most ended up hating the game by their 5th year. It was more of an obligation - they were out money if they quit. None were going to the NFL, all despised their coaches, and one of the biggest parties on campus each year was when the season ended.
    2 users like Saul Good's post: DRminimega67, IndySooner

**** star? Boring or not?

Originally Posted by lonetreebill View Post
    **** star? Boring or not?
    Totally boring. Maximally boring.

Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post
    Same story for **** stars. Starts off as fun, railing hot chicks on video. But when you have to nail two or three of the hottest ****es on the planet over and over and over every damn day, it really gets so loathsome. Too much of a good thing becomes...work. So they say.
    You must be acting in different **** movies than me. The ****es I have to **** on a daily basis aren't that hot.

It's really tough to have to get up and face another day sometimes.
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: Keef, Yuck Fu

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    You must be acting in different **** movies than me. The ****es I have to **** on a daily basis aren't that hot.

It's really tough to have to get up and face another day sometimes.
    I'm an engineer, not a **** star. Just stating what the **** stars say about ****.

.....Well duh,

I only played sports through high school, but I can totally relate to these guys who are burned out.
    It sucks the fun out of it when you work your ass off in the weight room, doing drills, practice all year for a 12 game season.

Meanwhile die hard fans are stuffing their faces with chili dogs and ****ing about Bob Stoops on a message board.
    There's probably some ass hat out there right now typing on his stupid laptop in a thread about how players don't care as much as fans.
    What a douche pumper.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

Arian Foster went on Joe Rogan's podcast recently and they had a really interesting conversation about this, NCAA, etc. if you travel, it's a great way to kill 2 hours on a plane.