Cubs say "No selling your WS ring"

Posted 4 day(s) ago 433 Views 17 Replies

The following users like this post: Greek Sooner

Not a Cubs fan but that's a sweet Championship ring.
    6 users like Rufus T Firefly's post: Clark W. Griswold, Crazyivan, Jive Turkey11, ProudSoonerMom, SiggyPoke, traxx

If you had one, why would you sell it? It's something unique especially because of what team won it.

Originally Posted by soonerfish78 View Post
    If you had one, why would you sell it? It's something unique especially because of what team won it.
    Those things will probably sell for more than a lot of the team employees yearly salaries.
    3 users like Hang Half a Hundred's post: KCRuf/Nek, SiggyPoke, whiskeytangofoxtrot

I doubt it would hold up in court. But you'd spend all the money you made selling the ring defending your right to sell it.

I've heard of players who fall on hard times (probably self inflicted) that sell rings, trophies etc. But I'm thinking this would be a particularly tempting issue here because it's the Cubbies. I think these rings would bring a whole lot more than some other WS ring.
    The following users like this post: ProudSoonerMom

Originally Posted by soonerfish78 View Post
    Money, money and money. Uniqueness goes out the window for somebody who's making $60K a year and has an item they can sell for six and maybe seven figures.
    The following users like this post: Hang Half a Hundred

I have seen a few for sale, as said above, by broke players. How can they direct players NOT to sell. It's a gift or sorts isn't it? For a job well done.

The Cubs bought over a 1000 of them. Hell, the scoreboard operator got one. I guess they are protecting their investment

It's no Alamo Bowl Ring though.
    2 users like Rufus T Firefly's post: Breadburner, traxx

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    The Cubs bought over a 1000 of them. Hell, the scoreboard operator got one. I guess they are protecting their investment
    1908 of them I believe.
    4 users like oucub23's post: Greek Sooner, IndySooner, Jason, OUEverest

Originally Posted by Rufus T Firefly View Post
    It's no Alamo Bowl Ring though.
    Cleveland got WS rings too. They just added an extra win to their side and it's now 4-3 Cleveland. They didn't agree with a called ball.
    4 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: Bear_Jew, Clark W. Griswold, Naples_Sooner, traxx

Originally Posted by smot poker View Post
    I doubt it would hold up in court. But you'd spend all the money you made selling the ring defending your right to sell it.
    How are they going to force people to sign the contract though?

Wow, Quote feature actually worked.

I highly doubt that would hold up. They could have a right of first refusal to equal the selling price but not $1. I'm totally guessing here because I'm not sure if it's a gift, recorded as pay equal to the FMV of the ring at the time. I assume it's the latter due to gifts to employees are considered wages and therefore it's just like them buying it...i.e. the Cubs giving them $100,000 check and the employee buying the ring.

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    How are they going to force people to sign the contract though?

Wow, Quote feature actually worked.
    If you don't sign it, you don't get a ring?

The Cubs are not only giving the rings to 1908 people, they're paying the taxes. So, they figure these people should appreciate the gift and not sell them on eBay.

I don't see any issue with the Cubs' actions here.
    The following users like this post: Greek Sooner

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    If you don't sign it, you don't get a ring?
    So, would they deny their best players, or even the WS MVP a ring, for refusing to sign? That would go over like a lead ballon.

Originally Posted by beelzeBob View Post
    So, would they deny their best players, or even the WS MVP a ring, for refusing to sign? That would go over like a lead ballon.
    Players didn't have to sign it.