happy 4/20

Posted 241 day(s) ago 3564 Views 29 Replies

happy 4/20

To all of you heathens who do that sort of thing.. keef... stinger.. smotpoker

Happy Birthday Adolph Hitler!

3 users like smot's post: chantundefeated, Hammer2Bones, Keef

Arkansas legalized medical marijuana, unfortunately our dispensaries aren't up and running yet, so my glaucoma has to go a few more months untreated.. son of a ****.
    The following users like this post: Keef

6 users like Jive Turkey11's post: Chk, jaxonya, qwerty, RockE, thunderclapnewman53, veyron_80

My soon-to-be 14 year old daughter returns the sentiment!
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

(damn, top billing! have a good one jaxon)

The Hazy History of “420”
    April 19, 2017 By Brynn Holland
    http://www.history.com/news/the-hazy...inkId=36699799

With many states currently selling medical marijuana in store fronts, it might seem like we are ushering in a new era for cannabis as medication—but in fact, history is actually repeating itself.

Many believe the term “420” originated from a police code that meant “Marijuana Smoking in Progress,” but as we stumble our way through the hazy past for the true origins of this iconic phrase, one blunt truth emerges—“420” did not originate with law enforcement, but with a group of high school students in 1970s California.

Many “420” revelers don’t know the origins of the word, but have vague recollections of once-heard tales about its origins. Some believe it’s the number of active chemicals in marijuana, others that it’s based on teatime in Holland. Some reference the birthday of Adolf Hitler (April 20, 1889), and others Bob Dylan’s legendary “Everybody must get stoned” refrain from his hit “Rainy Day Women No. 12 & 35” (12 multiplied by 35 does equal 420).

But in reality, it can all be traced back to a group of five California teens who used to hang out by a wall outside their San Rafael school—a meeting spot that inspired their nickname, “the Waldos.”
    (Credit: Marc Piscotty/Getty Images)

In the fall of 1971, the Waldos learned of a Coast Guard member who had planted a cannabis plant and could no longer tend to the crop. Provided with a treasure map (some say by the plant’s owner himself) supposedly leading to the abandoned product, the group would meet at the Louis Pasteur statue outside their high school at least once a week conduct a search. Their meeting time? 4:20 p.m, after practice (they were all athletes). The Waldos would pile into a car, smoke some pot and scour the nearby Point Reyes Forest for the elusive, free herb. One of the original members of the Waldos, Steve Capper, told the Huffington Post, “We would remind each other in the hallways we were supposed to meet up at 4:20. It originally started out 4:20-Louis, and we eventually dropped the Louis.”

They never did score the free bud, but perhaps they stumbled on to something more lasting? The term 420 was coined, allowing the high schoolers to discuss smoking pot without their parents or teachers knowing.
    Louis Pasteur statue at San Rafael High School in California. (Credit: Sapphic)

But how did this ragtag team of treasure-seekers at a high school in California manage to spread their secret phrase internationally? For that, we turn to the Grateful Dead.

Members of the Waldos had open access, and many connections, to the band. Mark Gravitch’s father managed the Dead’s real estate. Dave Reddix’s older brother was good friends with Dead bassist Phil Lesh and managed a Dead sideband. Capper told the Huffington Post, “There was a place called Winterland, and we’d always be backstage running around or on stage and, of course, we’re using those phrases. When somebody passes a joint or something, ‘Hey, 420.’ So it started spreading through that community.”
    Three Waldos—(from left) Mark Gravitch, Dave Reddix and Steve Capper with their original 420 flag and friend Patty Young. (Credit: Carly Schwartz)
    Three Waldos—(from left) Mark Gravitch, Dave Reddix and Steve Capper with their original 420 flag and friend Patty Young. (Credit: Carly Schwartz)

The first time Steven Bloom ever heard the phrase “420” was during Christmas week at a Grateful Dead concert in Oakland, California, in 1990 while he was a reporter for “High Times.” Bloom was wandering through the congregation of hippies that would gather before Dead concerts, and a “Deadhead” handed him a flyer that said, “We are going to meet at 4:20 on 4/20 for 420-ing in Marin County at the Bolinas Ridge sunset spot on Mt. Tamalpais.” Bloom found the old flyer and sent it to Huffington Post. The flyer told the history of 420, referencing the Waldos of San Rafael. Once “High Times” latched on to the story, the magazine helped launch the word globally.

Today, the unofficial holiday is celebrated worldwide. Officials at the University of Colorado at Boulder and the University of California, Santa Cruz (two colleges that boast of having the biggest “smoke-outs”) attempted to push back on the growing popularity of the festivities among their students in 2009. They encouraged (or pleaded with) their students to not participate—to no avail.
    University California, Santa Cruz 4/20 celebration at Porter Meadow. (Credit: Sroalf)
    University California, Santa Cruz 4/20 celebration at Porter Meadow. (Credit: Sroalf)

In 2003, when the California Legislature codified the medical marijuana law the voters had passed, the bill was named SB 420. No one fessed up to being responsible for the fortuitous number, but was likely a staffer in California State Assembly Member Mark Leno’s office.

“420” has also been referenced in classic movies like “Pulp Fiction,” where some of the clocks are set to the time 4:20, and on national TV when a contestant on the “Price Is Right” only bid numbers involving 420 ($420, $1,420). Even the 1990s Nickelodeon cartoon “Rocko’s Modern Life” featured a clock reading 4:20.
    A copy of the San Rafael High School newspaper with a 420 reference. (Credit: Carly Schwartz)
    A copy of the San Rafael High School newspaper with a 420 reference. (Credit: Carly Schwartz)

While many other illicit tales of the origins of 420 have wafted into the half-baked history books, the Waldos have proof they used the word back in the 70s. Kept safely tucked away in a vault in a San Francisco bank is their original 420 tie-dyed flag, a newspaper clipping where one of the members discusses wanting to just say “420” for his high school graduation speech and postmarked letters between the group filled with 420 references.

What’s next for the Waldos? Two of the original five still prefer to remain anonymous, but have agreed to consider making a documentary, or compiling a dictionary of their slang words. Or maybe they will just continue to enjoy a more mellow blaze of glory.
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Which strain(s) are you guys and gals going with today? We are going with White Cookies, which has been our favorite for awhile.

What say you?
    The following users like this post: jaxonya

going indica in about 2hrs.

Originally Posted by playmakr View Post
    Which strain(s) are you guys and gals going with today? We are going with White Cookies, which has been our favorite for awhile.

What say you?
    I don't smoke pot on the reg.
    The following users like this post: PokeJ

[QUOTE=Sooner Mommy;3330307]My soon

Quote feature SUX ass!

[QUOTE=beelzeBob;3330605]
    Originally Posted by Sooner Mommy View Post
    My soon

Quote feature SUX ass!
    When you're higher than ****? Yeah.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    I don't smoke pot on the reg.
    Nobody's perfect
    2 users like playmakr's post: chantundefeated, OilSooner

Originally Posted by Bruce View Post
    The Hazy History of “420”
    April 19, 2017 By Brynn Holland
    http://www.history.com/news/the-hazy...inkId=36699799

With many states currently selling medical marijuana in store fronts, it might seem like we are ushering in a new era for cannabis as medication—but in fact, history is actually repeating itself.

nobody read that, btw...

Many believe the term “420” originated from a police code that meant “Marijuana Smoking in Progress,” but as we stumble our way through the hazy past for the true origins of this iconic phrase, one blunt truth emerges—“420” did not originate with law enforcement, but with a group of high school students in 1970s California.

Many “420” revelers don’t know the origins of the word, but have vague recollections of once-heard tales about its origins. Some believe it’s the number of active chemicals in marijuana, others that it’s based on teatime in Holland. Some reference the birthday of Adolf Hitler (April 20, 1889), and others Bob Dylan’s legendary “Everybody must get stoned” refrain from his hit “Rainy Day Women No. 12 & 35” (12 multiplied by 35 does equal 420).

But in reality, it can all be traced back to a group of five California teens who used to hang out by a wall outside their San Rafael school—a meeting spot that inspired their nickname, “the Waldos.”

In the fall of 1971, the Waldos learned of a Coast Guard member who had planted a cannabis plant and could no longer tend to the crop. Provided with a treasure map (some say by the plant’s owner himself) supposedly leading to the abandoned product, the group would meet at the Louis Pasteur statue outside their high school at least once a week conduct a search. Their meeting time? 4:20 p.m, after practice (they were all athletes). The Waldos would pile into a car, smoke some pot and scour the nearby Point Reyes Forest for the elusive, free herb. One of the original members of the Waldos, Steve Capper, told the Huffington Post, “We would remind each other in the hallways we were supposed to meet up at 4:20. It originally started out 4:20-Louis, and we eventually dropped the Louis.”

They never did score the free bud, but perhaps they stumbled on to something more lasting? The term 420 was coined, allowing the high schoolers to discuss smoking pot without their parents or teachers knowing.

But how did this ragtag team of treasure-seekers at a high school in California manage to spread their secret phrase internationally? For that, we turn to the Grateful Dead.

Members of the Waldos had open access, and many connections, to the band. Mark Gravitch’s father managed the Dead’s real estate. Dave Reddix’s older brother was good friends with Dead bassist Phil Lesh and managed a Dead sideband. Capper told the Huffington Post, “There was a place called Winterland, and we’d always be backstage running around or on stage and, of course, we’re using those phrases. When somebody passes a joint or something, ‘Hey, 420.’ So it started spreading through that community.”

The first time Steven Bloom ever heard the phrase “420” was during Christmas week at a Grateful Dead concert in Oakland, California, in 1990 while he was a reporter for “High Times.” Bloom was wandering through the congregation of hippies that would gather before Dead concerts, and a “Deadhead” handed him a flyer that said, “We are going to meet at 4:20 on 4/20 for 420-ing in Marin County at the Bolinas Ridge sunset spot on Mt. Tamalpais.” Bloom found the old flyer and sent it to Huffington Post. The flyer told the history of 420, referencing the Waldos of San Rafael. Once “High Times” latched on to the story, the magazine helped launch the word globally.

Today, the unofficial holiday is celebrated worldwide. Officials at the University of Colorado at Boulder and the University of California, Santa Cruz (two colleges that boast of having the biggest “smoke-outs”) attempted to push back on the growing popularity of the festivities among their students in 2009. They encouraged (or pleaded with) their students to not participate—to no avail.

In 2003, when the California Legislature codified the medical marijuana law the voters had passed, the bill was named SB 420. No one fessed up to being responsible for the fortuitous number, but was likely a staffer in California State Assembly Member Mark Leno’s office.

“420” has also been referenced in classic movies like “Pulp Fiction,” where some of the clocks are set to the time 4:20, and on national TV when a contestant on the “Price Is Right” only bid numbers involving 420 ($420, $1,420). Even the 1990s Nickelodeon cartoon “Rocko’s Modern Life” featured a clock reading 4:20.

While many other illicit tales of the origins of 420 have wafted into the half-baked history books, the Waldos have proof they used the word back in the 70s. Kept safely tucked away in a vault in a San Francisco bank is their original 420 tie-dyed flag, a newspaper clipping where one of the members discusses wanting to just say “420” for his high school graduation speech and postmarked letters between the group filled with 420 references.

What’s next for the Waldos? Two of the original five still prefer to remain anonymous, but have agreed to consider making a documentary, or compiling a dictionary of their slang words. Or maybe they will just continue to enjoy a more mellow blaze of glory.

Nobody's perfect
    That's just like, your opinion, man.
    4 users like jaxonya's post: chantundefeated, KCRuf/Nek, qwerty, Stinger_1066

Originally Posted by jaxonya View Post
    That's just like, your opinion, man.
    There probably are perfect people. If someone can find something wrong with Aishwarya Rai, for example, it would be the first thing pointed out to me.

3 users like Jive Turkey11's post: Mjcpr, OilSooner, RockE

Heading to Boulder tomorrow morning. For reelz. Orders?

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    Heading to Boulder tomorrow morning. For reelz. Orders?

I'm good. legal herb is about the only positive about living in michigan. don't use it much but it's nice to know I can.

be careful comin back.
    The following users like this post: blackfrancois

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    I'm good. legal herb is about the only positive about living in michigan. don't use it much but it's nice to know I can.

be careful comin back.
    Oh no worries. I'm going there for reelz, not bringing orders back. Twenty something years of ruining my life with that shit? I'm out. Way out. I like living too much.

Losers

Don't forget me!
    2 users like pphilfran's post: jaxonya, Keef

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    legal herb is about the only positive about living in michigan.
    i hear the u.p. is nice.

even better with legal herb.

I'm a one hit wonder. And I save my one hit until right before bed time. I sleep much better than if I abstain.

Also, when you get to my age don't listen to those doctors that want to sell you testosterone treatments. That stuff will kill you. One hit of the ganja does wonders.
    4 users like Stinger_1066's post: blackfrancois, jaxonya, KCRuf/Nek, Keef

Originally Posted by Stinger_1066 View Post
    I'm a one hit wonder. And I save my one hit until right before bed time. I sleep much better than if I abstain.

Also, when you get to my age don't listen to those doctors that want to sell you testosterone treatments. That stuff will kill you. One hit of the ganja does wonders.
    Yep. Three hits are good. Long gone are the bong a thon days aand going through two zees a week.

What say you?
    Don't know names. Lately it's been green and fluffy. This last time it was dark and purplish and compact. Just so it does its job.

I do miss the days of forty bucks for a bag of stinky ass, sticky, skunk.
    The following users like this post: Keef

when i was going to OU grad school, i met a group of meteorologists doing the same. and that is basically how i became a regular pot user. they were dorks, but great fun to hang out with. we went to a-dam together (still my only trip to europe), skied taos, smoked nearly every night. a couple of those guys were former m.i.t... they would smoke out before a test! super smart. i really miss them.