Lawn care spray services

Posted 125 day(s) ago 2386 Views 36 Replies

Lawn care spray services

Anyone use a lawn care service where they spray for weeds and fertilize?

Grass is pretty healthy but have way more weeds popping up than I've ever had in the past.
    Pretty sure it's because I just don't have the time to control it myself like I have in years past.

How well do they do at getting rid of them.

I use a service and it's about $42 per visit which is about 5 times per year. This isn't much more than buying the bags of treatment you need and doing it yourself. It eliminates the spring broadleaf and other early season weeds. I have the occasional weed pop up but not much and they are supposed to spray those when they treat. I use Pinkstons right now but I can't say I'm totally satisfied with their service so my recommendation would be tentative right now.
    2 users like Mjcpr's post: 1stTimeCaller, mgsooner

Earth Enterprises....

Most broadleaf will die off after repeated mowing. Any grassy weeds now are cool weather and will kick the bucket once it warms up. So don't waste your time or money killing what you see now. A pre emergent application will stop those pesky warm weather weeds.
    2 users like pphilfran's post: Maximus, odin's beard

I used Scott's when I lived in Noble and they were awesome. Then I used Scott's in Edmond and they were mediocre at best. Goes to show that just because it's the same brand it doesn't mean you'll get the same results.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    I used Scott's when I lived in Noble and they were awesome. Then I used Scott's in Edmond and they were mediocre at best. Goes to show that just because it's the same brand it doesn't mean you'll get the same results.
    Go Bears!

Originally Posted by pphilfran View Post
    Most broadleaf will die off after repeated mowing. Any grassy weeds now are cool weather and will kick the bucket once it warms up. So don't waste your time or money killing what you see now. A pre emergent application will stop those pesky warm weather weeds.
    Good points. OP, if you just wait it out until November-December, you shouldn't have any weeds at all.

Is their a DIY pre emergentt I can spray?

Originally Posted by Mark_in_tulsa View Post
    I tried putting down the stuff you buy at Lowe's and it never worked very well. I'm sure there is something you can use to spray on your entire yard but if you can do it for $40, I'd be surprised. To me, it just wasn't ever worth doing all that myself for what it costs to have it done plus what they use seems more effective.
    The following users like this post: NickDangerThirdEye

atrazine….for weeds………and metolachlor for crabgrass….
    but you need a license to buy them...
    The following users like this post: Coach

It is too late for pre emergents. The seeds have already germinated. You will need to wait til the soil gets back down to low temps for winter pre emergent ~ mid October.

2,4-D for broadleaf control and some sort of MSMA rebrand like Target-6 for grassy weeds.
    2.5 gal jug of concentrate is about 60 dollars each.

The mixing ratio of 2, 4-D is 1 oz per gal
    The mixing ratio of MSMA is .5 oz per gal.

40 gal tank can do my 3/4 acre lawn.

Spoiler:
    $60 / 320 oz = $.1875 / oz
    40 gal * 1 oz / gal * $.1875 / oz = $7.50 for Broadleaf control (2,4-D)
    40 gal * .5 oz / gal * $.1875 / oz = $3.25 for grassy weed control (MSMA)

$10.75 to treat 3/4 acre of bermuda
    3 users like Bk2X's post: Mjcpr, NickDangerThirdEye, waynepayne

Round-up (generic) but it's too late for that. 2-4-D assuming you have bermuda.

Originally Posted by Bk2X View Post
    It is too late for pre emergents. The seeds have already germinated. You will need to wait til the soil gets back down to low temps for winter pre emergent ~ mid October.

2,4-D for broadleaf control and some sort of MSMA rebrand like Target-6 for grassy weeds.
    2.5 gal jug of concentrate is about 60 dollars each.

The mixing ratio of 2, 4-D is 1 oz per gal
    The mixing ratio of MSMA is .5 oz per gal.

40 gal tank can do my 3/4 acre lawn.

Spoiler:
    $60 / 320 oz = $.1875 / oz
    40 gal * 1 oz / gal * $.1875 / oz = $7.50 for Broadleaf control (2,4-D)
    40 gal * .5 oz / gal * $.1875 / oz = $3.25 for grassy weed control (MSMA)

$10.75 to treat 3/4 acre of bermuda
    Yeah, but how much for the cancer treatments?
    4 users like Mjcpr's post: Bk2X, ChocoLab, ImTheDude, odin's beard

I use Green Grass in Tulsa. They do everything your talking about for $35 a visit, around 5 or 6 times a year, and if you see any crabgrass or dandelions pop up, they'll come out and spot treat for free. They've been really good for the past 4-5 years. Always call and tell you the day before they come and leave good instructions if you need to water it after 24 or 48 hours, or not mow it for a couple days after the treatment.

I recommend.

I bought a ton of granule pre-emergent from Home Depot called Lesco. Used a riding mower and tow rig to broadcast it.

I followed the instructions and it didn't do jack sh*t. Not a single weed was culled back or missing. A waste of about $300 and 3 hours of time.

Originally Posted by Bustarime View Post
    I bought a ton of granule pre-emergent from Home Depot called Lesco. Used a riding mower and tow rig to broadcast it.

I followed the instructions and it didn't do jack sh*t. Not a single weed was culled back or missing. A waste of about $300 and 3 hours of time.
    Ya those drop granules suck.

Originally Posted by Bustarime View Post

I don't know, but I've always read that granular weed killer wasn't very effective because it's important for the chemical to stick to the foliage.

Originally Posted by ChocoLab View Post
    I don't know, but I've always read that granular weed killer wasn't very effective because it's important for the chemical to stick to the foliage.
    depends on the chemical and how it works…
    those like roundup and 24d are absorbed thru the leaves……liquids….
    pre-emergent has to be watered/rained into the soil where it creates a barrier……liquids and granules...
    i would assume the granular herbicides would also have to be watered into the soil and possibly work by being absorbed thru the roots…..but i don't know….i'd have to know the active ingredient….
    i just don't see granules sticking to the foliage as being very effective/reliable...

It helps to wet the grass before you apply the granular pre-emergent.

Originally Posted by NickDangerThirdEye View Post
    It helps to wet the grass before you apply the granular pre-emergent.
    if it's pre-emergent…..wetting the grass before you spread it does absolutely nothing..
    2 users like 87sooner's post: NickDangerThirdEye, pphilfran

Most, if not all, pre emergents work by building up a "barrier" in the top couple of inches of the soil. The layer is built up when watering disolves the granule. The seed will germinate but root growth will be stunted due to the chemical "barrier". The tiny seedling then dies due to the non existent root system.

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    if it's pre-emergent…..wetting the grass before you spread it does absolutely nothing..

Yeah, I read pre-emergent but was thinking post-emergent. Thanks for the correction.
    The following users like this post: pphilfran

there are different types of 2-4-d ...
    i sprayed my yard with lv-6 which is what i use on my fields after harvest.....lv = low volatile.....but it burned my bermuda quite a bit....
    yesterday i got some amine 400 from the co-op and sprayed my yard again......this morning the weeds are all curled over....
    will let you know in a few days how the bermuda looks...

Here in McKinney I use a service Weed X-tinguishers. They charge me a monthly fee that includes lawn treatment, lawn mowing, and shrub trimming. I tried Socalisooner but he couldn't reach the top of my red tips.

I'm on nearly 3 acres, so I can't afford to hire it done. I've tried several types of selective weed killers, fertilizers, pre-emergent, etc.

I've about decided to never use granules except for straight fertilizer. The only way to go with weed killer is to spray it. 2-4d is pretty good and designed for cooler weather applications, like 50-70 degree weather. MSMA is awesome but it needs to be about 80+ degrees, 90+ even better. 2-4d tends to take 7 days before you see a lot of results. If you want to kill everything, like along a fenceline, a product called ERASER is very effective. I love this stuff and buy it online in about a 3 gallon container. MSMA, the same. I found a website to buy MSMA even after they pulled it from retail shelves. But its been about 3 years since I bought it, so I'm not sure if its still available. I like a granular fertilizer by Vigoro. Its half the price of Scotts and works very well.

And, I've been tinkering with Vigoro Weed and Feed granules this spring. I've experimented with it many times. Right after a rain, just before a rain, hosing it in, repeated applications. Hot, cool, etc.

All it does is kill out some of the real tiny clovers. Or, 20% of the crud that grows in my lawn. The fertilizing aspect of this product is pretty good, but I'm done with it. No more. Not worth the price.

I live on an acre with bermuda grass. I have used Pastora in a sprayer for the last 4 years with pretty good results.
    Very potent stuff. Application is 1.5 oz per acre.
    5 oz bottle is $150.

Originally Posted by AntiDean View Post
    I live on an acre with bermuda grass. I have used Pastora in a sprayer for the last 4 years with pretty good results.
    5 oz bottle is $150.
    is your bermuda gold plated?

but how does it feel to have been ripped off?
    https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...herbicide-5-oz

Originally Posted by AntiDean View Post
    5 oz bottle is $150.
    Pastora? For weeds? No wonder you're the "anti-dean." Dean is a lot smarter than that. Pastora is expensive as **** and primarily used for controlling sand burs.

I don't even wanna talk about this topic right now. I've spent several days spraying pasture, and the past two days spreading fertilizer. I have my own 4-ton buggy and I've been buying it at Shawnee Feeds for $300 per ton (straight urea 46-0-0). Pretty good price considering what it's been the past few years.

And I spray with 2-4-D, and sometimes some Remedy. Used to spray with Grazon (have to have a license to buy it) but 2-4-D is cheaper and just as effective. Always use surfactant too. When I'm spraying pasture or fertilizing I just make a single run through the yard.

As a former owner of a franchise lawn care business.....do it yourself. Go to any local store and buy the bags of weed and feed etc.... Its so stupid easy to do yourself and not worth paying anybody if you have any desire to save a buck just knock it out yourself. We made a killing taking advantage of people's stupidity and flat out laziness.
    2 users like Soonerbulldog's post: kingswitz, Perfect Beast

Originally Posted by Soonerbulldog View Post
    As a former owner of a franchise lawn care business.....do it yourself. Go to any local store and buy the bags of weed and feed etc.... Its so stupid easy to do yourself and not worth paying anybody if you have any desire to save a buck just knock it out yourself. We made a killing taking advantage of people's stupidity and flat out laziness.
    Great post. I shake my head at my neighbors who are paying $60-$70/month because they are too lazy to find out what to do to their lawn to make it weed free, thick and green.

This. "you mean I have to put down my vidya game and go spray the lawn? **** that, call Sancho the weed boy."

Some people can spend that "lawn time" to make a lot more money than what it cost to pay someone to treat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Again, I didn't find doing it myself to be cost effective or effective period. It costs me $41 when they treat my yard. I don't think I could buy a single bag of anything for that price. Besides, I'd rather be playing golf with my free time.
    The following users like this post: oupunk

I had someone spray my yard for weeds for the first time a few weeks ago. Front yard was okay, but the back is relatively big and the previous owner didn't water the grass at all, so about half of it was almost pure weeds. I'm a rookie at this so I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like it did that great a job -- maybe more wounded the weeds than killed them.

I know the company is good because they've done a great job rehabbing my neighbor's yard, but I suspect the lack of rain and the relatively cool temps (thus slow growth) kept the weeds from absorbing as much of the chemicals as usual. Would that make sense or do I have it all wrong?

I just found out the nasty viney things running rampant around the yard is bermuda grass. Mind blown.

I had someone spray my yard for weeds for the first time a few weeks ago. Front yard was okay, but the back is relatively big and the previous owner didn't water the grass at all, so about half of it was almost pure weeds. I'm a rookie at this so I'm not sure, but it doesn't seem like it did that great a job -- maybe more wounded the weeds than killed them.

I know the company is good because they've done a great job rehabbing my neighbor's yard, but I suspect the lack of rain and the relatively cool temps (thus slow growth) kept the weeds from absorbing as much of the chemicals as usual. Would that make sense or do I have it all wrong?
    different chemicals have different modes of killing action...
    2-4-d is a synthetic plant hormone that essentially causes plants to grow so fast they grow themselves to death.......you will notice the plants curled over within hours.....but it could take a week or two for them to actually die...
    roundup stops plant growth....but depending on moisture/temp conditions......it could take a up to a week for them to slowly turn yellow and die...
    if you want instant and obvious death.....ask your maintenance people to spray with paraquat when the temp is about 90-95 degrees...
    The following users like this post: ChocoLab

Originally Posted by PokeJ View Post
    Some people can spend that "lawn time" to make a lot more money than what it cost to pay someone to treat it.

Sure thing mr money bags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    Again, I didn't find doing it myself to be cost effective or effective period. It costs me $41 when they treat my yard. I don't think I could buy a single bag of anything for that price. Besides, I'd rather be playing golf with my free time.
    Go to atwoods or a nursery. Your 41 dollars isn't getting you near what you think.