Stoops Eric Striker joins football staff as defensive recruiting analyst

Eric's going to do a great job for us," Stoops said. "Kinda helping us on the defensive side with recruits and their families when they're here, those kinds of things."

The former All-American linebacker was hired in January as a graduate assistant in the University's student life office, helping with day-to-day activities while he worked toward a Master's Degree.
    http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklaho...b34b2da4e.html

Great move by Stoops. Striker loves OU and will do a great job with recruits and their families.

Originally Posted by ChocoLab View Post
    Let him focus on SEC country, especially Tennessee.

Does he have enough class to work SEC country?

What an awesome move. Wish nothing but the best for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: sovasooner

Originally Posted by Vodnik View Post
    That should play forever on a Loop in the new Switzer Center.
    3 users like YellowShoeSooner's post: ChocoLab, Jasooner, Vodnik

I'd follow this guy through the gates of hell.

UNLEASH THE KRACKEN!!!!

This makes me smile to know he will be in contact with our recruits and players.

I hope he can pass on some of his passion for the game and OU.

really excited for him maybe he can take over at DC in a few years!!!
    2 users like MOJO_ERASER's post: boomer8390, freedombird

Originally Posted by MOJO_ERASER View Post
    Two quarters into his first season LT posters would be all FUES.

Originally Posted by MOJO_ERASER View Post
    Maybe a promotion to Pass Rush Coordinator, if we still have Mike doing the rest of the defense?

Very happy for him. Heart of a champion.
    3 users like cccasooner2's post: gratefulRed, Silvershoes, SplitTD

Originally Posted by tcrb View Post
    Two quarters into his first season LT posters would be all FUES.
    5 minutes into his new job and he's already being mentioned as a DC candidate.

Is this the newly allowed position spot or just a staff/support position? I'm stoked either way.

sweet

I disrespect the SEC!
    2 users like Homebrewed's post: soonerUthenMe, Vodnik

So stoked for this move.

I really feel like he is going to make Viney leaving a distant memory.
    Think he'll do an awesome job connecting with recruits.

Smart move by Stoops and Co.
    The following users like this post: SA OSO

Said this about Viney, and the same will be true about Striker. If a graduate assistant is really a make or break selling point, the kid didn't want to be here to begin with. Viney's influence was vastly overrated.

That said, nice to have Striker back, and it certainly will help to have someone in an official capacity help evaluate, communicate with players, and generally help organize things.
    2 users like party1234's post: BoomerTooSooner?, FutureDC2853

The following users like this post: RockE

lol forgot about this gem.

Love this kid. Hope he makes some good money. Would love to have him around the program for a long time.
    2 users like OUVarsityXV's post: michaelou727, SA OSO

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey11 View Post

Best part about this his team mate desperately trying to get him to put his helmet back on.
    3 users like RDC212's post: Deepfried, MichSooner, SoonerNow

is there a way to dl this video. Always wanted it.

I know someday it'll disappear from the internet entirely

Originally Posted by Soonermb View Post
    Is this the newly allowed position spot or just a staff/support position? I'm stoked either way.
    Pretty sure it's a support staff position. He's not a "Coach" he's an "analyst" just like Nick Saban has 30 of them on his staff!
    2 users like dallasstars10's post: pphilfran, Soonermb

Originally Posted by meandmybutt View Post
    Does he have enough cash to work SEC country?
    FIFY

Great for Eric and great for the program.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Give him 6 months on the job and he might be HC in-waiting to take over when Bob retires
    5 users like Silvershoes's post: BoomerTooSooner?, CalSOONER, MichSooner, RockFlagandEagle, VA_Sooner

So I assume this means he left his gig in student affairs? If so, that was short-lived.

The following users like this post: gravelveins

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    So I assume this means he left his gig in student affairs? If so, that was short-lived.
    From appearances, that gig was a hold over spot until there was an opening for him on the football staff.
    The following users like this post: Vodnik

Originally Posted by party1234 View Post
    From appearances, that gig was a hold over spot until there was an opening for him on the football staff.
    Thats what Im guessing too. The Student Life job was already there and open. If Striker's job is a new position, it takes a few weeks for all the paper work to get done.

With all the Title IX and criminal investigations around college football, I have a feeling these "looking for some OUDNA" tweets will be in some rival's anti-OU meme before not too long.
    The following users like this post: morrisja20

Safe to assume he will be the new 10th assistant coach or nah?

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    Safe to assume he will be the new 10th assistant coach or nah?
    Nope, Stoops will hire a coach with at least 8-10 years of coaching experience with a great track record. Stoops made that mistake with Kittle
    2 users like Vodnik's post: freedombird, Mjcpr

I'm not sure I understood completely on the SA this morning but I thought they had said it's not like he's going to be sitting in kid's livingroom's with Bob. Said (if I understood correctly) he'll be able to drive them around in the golf cart while they're on visits to campus.

Not saying this is bad, I thought it was cool when I pictured him talking with recruits out on the recruiting trail. Good for him either way.

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post
    I'm not sure I understood completely on the SA this morning but I thought they had said it's not like he's going to be sitting in kid's livingroom's with Bob. Said (if I understood correctly) he'll be able to drive them around in the golf cart while they're on visits to campus.

Not saying this is bad, I thought it was cool when I pictured him talking with recruits out on the recruiting trail. Good for him either way.
    He'd be a helluva host.

Originally Posted by OKIRISHFAN View Post

Only the coaches can go on the road. NCAA rules.. I think he can go pick kids up at the airport and drive them around Norman is all.
    The following users like this post: OKIRISHFAN

Only the coaches can go on the road. NCAA rules.. I think he can go pick kids up at the airport and drive them around Norman is all.
    In a golf cart.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: ab5sr, MichSooner

In a golf cart.
    So pimp that thing out and make it the best damn golf cart in college football.

Facilities, mang. Facilities.
    2 users like CrimsonOberon's post: MichSooner, RockFlagandEagle

I love Striker like the rest of us, but come on, the guy is not even two years out of college. Maybe we should slow down the DC talk until he hits the ripe old age of 25!

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    With all the Title IX and criminal investigations around college football, I have a feeling these "looking for some OUDNA" tweets will be in some rival's anti-OU meme before not too long.
    Worst than "#PistolsFiring from Broken Arrow" meme?
    2 users like Vodnik's post: p23570, Tommy_Boy

Originally Posted by party1234 View Post
    Viney's influence was vastly overrated.
    • As a graduate assistant, Viney is not allowed to recruit off campus.
    • "I have complete confidence with Chip. It has been a blessing to have him.” “We know he knows cornerback like the back of his hand,” - K. Cooks.
    • “My whole thing with Viney is, not sure if it’s his age or what, but it’s his ability to connect with me on the level of competition and production and work ethic and the mindset,” Mbanasor said. “I was sold on our conversations. He’s legit. He’s straight up with his words.”
    • "I can tell you most still feel he’s (C. Kelly) a Sooner. The Chip Viney (OU’s DBs coach) effect is the deal breaker.” Clovis West five-star linebacker Caleb Kelly for the 2016 class says "I talk to coach Viney a lot, well of course, he is more of like a big brother he'll call me 'little bro' and stuff like that. He is more of a big brother kind of guy, he'll still do his little recruiting stuff - say certain stuff, it's more words of wisdom and good luck and stuff like that,"
    • “To be honest I wouldn’t be the player I am right now without Chip,” cornerback Zack Sanchez said. “He has helped me tremendously on and off the field. He has helped me mature as a man and get me through tough situations.
    • “Even though I was gonna be a safety, he told me I still needed to have the hips and the feet of a corner to be a great cover safety,” Gabe Lynn said. “I played a lot of man coverage, so working with Chip definitely helped me out.”
    • Viney is unlike any graduate assistant the OU defensive backs have seen. He runs players through drills during practice, wearing cleats when a demonstration is necessary. Sometimes he challenges receivers to one-on-one matchups, winning more often than they care to admit.
    • He makes himself available to players day or night to work or watch film. “I know we made his wife mad sometimes,” said former OU cornerback Julian Wilson. “Really, she’s the one that we need to thank.”
    • Patrick Fields said he spoke with OU assistant Chip Viney just last week. “Everytime we talk it’s for at least an hour,” Fields said of his relationship with Viney.
    • Aaron Colvin, a two-time All-Big 12 cornerback, just completed his second season with the Jacksonville Jaguars. Though he spent only one season in Norman with Viney, Colvin said the two still talk and he considers Viney a close friend.“I always felt like he put us above himself,” Colvin said. ‘He can relate to us’
    • “He’s a young cat,” said OU 2016 safety signee Chanse Sylvie, from Shreveport, La. “He’s easy to gel with. Easy to talk to. He understands social media, that kind of stuff, and he can relate to us.”
    • "When one of his players does something great, he's always out there jumping around, beating them in the chest saying great job," said defensive tackle Chuka Ndulue. "When you do something wrong, he's not the first to just jump on you. He talks to you."
    • “Courtney Viney is a great coach and done a great job for us on the field and is actually going to move from being a GA into a full-time position,” Bob Stoops said. “Courtney has been a great person for us, a great recruiter. He has a bright future, really does. He’s a great communicator and an excellent coach.”

Originally Posted by Nostalgic Scientist View Post
    I love Striker like the rest of us, but come on, the guy is not even two years out of college. Maybe we should slow down the DC talk until he hits the ripe old age of 25!
    Slow YOUR roll, cowboy. This is Landthieves...never too early to hire/fire someone!

Great way for him to start his coaching career, he was a great asset for us and I want to see him succeed #OUDNA
    The following users like this post: JBret

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    yeah... but.... he's gone and I think Striker will have a larger impact than anyone else they could have gotten.

Originally Posted by Jive Turkey11 View Post

At the time, I was wondering why he didn't get flagged for the helmet violation.

Upon further review, the officials were clearly distracted by the exploding Bama player. Can't really blame the refs for missing that one.
    5 users like meandmybutt's post: Bear_Jew, ChpThril, GonzOU, michaelou727, p23570

Originally Posted by YellowShoeSooner View Post
    That should play forever on a Loop in the new Switzer Center.
    I second this motion. All in favor say "I"
    The following users like this post: YellowShoeSooner