When did the OOOOOOOOU! Chant on kicking the ball.

Posted 213 day(s) ago 7824 Views 95 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Hey guys, I have a quick question. My dad gave me a call and he was wondering when we started doing the OOOOOOOOOOOOU! when we kick the ball. I want to say that was before Barry but I really dont know off the top of my head. Does anyone else know?

Forgot to add in the title 'start.' Derp.

I'm guessing O'Connells was in business when it started.

I'm thinking late 90's or the 2000 season for some reason. I know we didn't do it in the 80's when I was there.
    2 users like kingswitz's post: SoonerNow, thunderclapnewman53

Originally Posted by kingswitz View Post
    I'm thinking late 90's or the 2000 season for some reason. I know we didn't do it in the 80's when I was there.
    I was thinking that too because I know a lot of the newer things came after the 2000 natty season, like 'Home of the Sooners.' and the OU Chant.
    The following users like this post: kingswitz

It was done in the 90s--you just didn't hear it very well b/c nobody was there.

And we only had one or two kickoffs per game ...

Originally Posted by crimsonandcream1990 View Post
    I was thinking that too because I know a lot of the newer things came after the 2000 natty season, like 'Home of the Sooners.' and the OU Chant.
    The Chant is older than that--my aunt and uncle both knew it from their days.

I started the OOOOOOOOOOOOO chant in 1997. It was originally OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHIT!!!! because the game had begun and OU was about to be destroyed. It caught on real quick because everyone in the stadium could hear me.

I still say OOOOOOO shot when we kick off.

Originally Posted by oucub23 View Post
    The Chant is older than that--my aunt and uncle both knew it from their days.
    Yep. Really old.

Every fan who wears the official colors, each current student and student-athlete and all OU alumni are encouraged to stand and raise one finger in the air during the playing of the Chant -- a symbolic gesture that shows the greatness of the university and the unity between all Sooners. The Chant was written in 1936 by Jessie Lone Clarkson Gilkey, who directed the OU girl's glee club from 1936 to 1938 and was voted Outstanding Faculty Woman in 1937.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=208806151
    2 users like kingswitz's post: BajaOklahoma, RockE

I know it's been going on at least since I started going to games as a kid in the mid 90's.
    The following users like this post: Batigs

I started it 87 season. I was so excited for the kickoff i stuck my finger in the sky and started howling, everyone else followed.
    The following users like this post: oupunk

When I was at OU, graduated in 1967, the OOOOOOOOU on the kickoffs was NOT done. During the 1980's it still wasn't done.(the last games I saw at OU during the 1980's was the 1987 season, and still no OOOOOOOU at kickoffs) Not as clear about the OU Chant.
    3 users like SoonerNow's post: GonzOU, Soonermarty, Yuck Fu

Originally Posted by crimsonandcream1990 View Post
    I wonder who we ripped the "Home of the Sooner" thing off of? Sure wish we'd give it back.
    5 users like Rufus T Firefly's post: ChocoLab, kingswitz, SCV Sooner, Sooner JK, soonerschooner

Don't know when ooooooooooo started, but the chant has been around as long as I have.

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    Don't know when ooooooooooo started, but the chant has been around as long as I have.
    If you're claiming you are 27 yrs old or younger, you might be mistaken.

Originally Posted by SoonerNow View Post
    When I was at OU, graduated in 1967, the OOOOOOOOU on the kickoffs was NOT done. During the 1980's it still wasn't done.(the last games I saw at OU during the 1980's was the 1987 season, and still no OOOOOOOU at kickoffs) Not as clear about the OU Chant.
    Confirm it wasn't done during my time at OU in the sixties.
    BTW, I've never heard the OU Chant or the OU Yell or the OK Oklahoma Song.

Boomer Sooner and the song Oklahoma from the musical. Heard those a lot.
    BTW, back in the sixties, Boomer Sooner had a different verse ending:

I'm a Sooner born and Sooner bred
    and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead
    Rah Oklahoma, Rah Oklahoma
    Rah Oklahoma, 3.2!

Back then, the only beer sold cold was 3.2
    2 users like RocketCitySooner's post: GonzOU, Yuck Fu

The band used to play "O.K. Oklahoma" a lot more at games than they do now, and that is my favorite OU song:

5 users like SoonerNow's post: allanace16, Homebrewed, MrQster, soonerlarry, soonerschooner

The band used to play "O.K. Oklahoma" a lot more at games than they do now, and that is my favorite OU song:

I guess you're right, considering they play it after every extra point. We don't score as much as we did during the Bradford era.
    The following users like this post: soonerschooner

I don't remember it in the 70s or 80s. I'm thinking it might have started in about '93 when Gibbs had one of his better teams.

I do distinctly remember the first time they did "the wave" at Memorial Stadium. November 15, 1980 against Missouri.
    The following users like this post: soonerschooner

I love that song. I think we usually play it after our extra point. We just need everyone to sing it.

BTW it is really awesome to hear the Michigan guys sing there song in a stadium.

I don't remember when I didn't yell Ooooooooh during kickoff. I started going to games in the 80's. Hmmmm.
    The following users like this post: stlOU

The whole time I was in school we did it. 1984

Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    Confirm it wasn't done during my time at OU in the sixties.
    BTW, I've never heard the OU Chant or the OU Yell or the OK Oklahoma Song.

Boomer Sooner and the song Oklahoma from the musical. Heard those a lot.
    BTW, back in the sixties, Boomer Sooner had a different verse ending:

I'm a Sooner born and Sooner bred
    and when I die, I'll be Sooner dead
    Rah Oklahoma, Rah Oklahoma
    Rah Oklahoma, 3.2!

Back then, the only beer sold cold was 3.2
    Slippery Rock

Originally Posted by SoonerNow

Originally Posted by OU0912 View Post
    I guess you're right, considering they play it after every extra point. We don't score as much as we did during the Bradford era.
    That's cute, and you could be right since I haven't been to an OU game since 2012. However, I watch em all on TV, and don't hear it much. I'll pay closer attention after we score the extra points. Oftentimes the teevee cuts to commercial then. It is a good song, and I didn't know it had words before seeing them on the youtube of it.

I just looked at the words again, and I have to say I'm not ready to die if we lose the game.
    2 users like SoonerNow's post: Homebrewed, soonerschooner

Originally Posted by JW3K View Post
    I don't remember when I didn't yell Ooooooooh during kickoff. I started going to games in the 80's. Hmmmm.
    I just put on YouTubes of the '87 OSU game, '88 Nebraska game and '89 Colorado games. The crowd didn't do it. At least enough where you could hear it over the broadcast. I'll check the '90s when I have time.
    2 users like Yuck Fu's post: JW3K, Who Flung Doo

BRING BACK LITTLE RED!!!
    The following users like this post: SCV Sooner

Actually it started at Yale, back in the old days. Got it in a 2-for-1 deal when we picked up Boola Boola.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    I started the OOOOOOOOOOOOO chant in 1997. It was originally OOOOOOOOOOOOOOO SHIT!!!! because the game had begun and OU was about to be destroyed. It caught on real quick because everyone in the stadium could hear me.

In the 80s, the Chant was done postgame. I can still picture the lyrics on the old, old south scoreboard. Not many people hung around for it.
    2 users like BajaOklahoma's post: Slytherin, SoonerNow

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    Rafterman, don't listen to any of Payback's bullshit. Sometimes he thinks HE'S John Wayne.
    The following users like this post: BozTheGreat&Powerful

Originally Posted by CrimsonHeaven View Post
    The whole time I was in school we did it. 1984
    The chant, but not the oooooo during kickoffs. 1988 here.
    The following users like this post: Yuck Fu

The chant, but not the oooooo during kickoffs. 1988 here.
    84, 85, 86. And we did.

If you're claiming you are 27 yrs old or younger, you might be mistaken.
    I've got boots a hell of a lot older than 27. Not sure of your point.

Originally Posted by CrimsonHeaven View Post
    84, 85, 86. And we did.
    Too many in this thread disagree.

You remember it your way. I was there those years too and graduated in 1988. I never heard it.
    2 users like kingswitz's post: SoonerNow, Yuck Fu

Originally Posted by JW3K View Post
    Yep...

We did it in the 70's, but only when OU kicks off. People who do it when the other team kicks are wrong.
    The following users like this post: SCV Sooner

84, 85, 86, 87 seasons 88 Grad. The OU Chant at the beginning, ooooooou at kickoff never. Home of the Sooners is embarrassing.
    The following users like this post: Rufus T Firefly

I don't remember the OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU thing before 1993 . But, I recall at some point thinking, "Well that's alright. We should keep doing that."

The Chant was in the pre-game before I arrived in '90.

O.K. Oklahoma is one of the best classic marches in the game. It's a fitting testament to the tradition of Sooner football.
    The following users like this post: SoonerNow

Originally Posted by SoonerinLondon View Post
    We did it in the 70's, but only when OU kicks off. People who do it when the other team kicks are wrong.
    This is the definitive answer...and STOP doing it when the other team kicks off. That is not the OU way.

And while we're at it, the stadium is "the Snake Pit"...not "the Palace on the Prairie"...and we don't need "Football time in Oklahoma" (which sounds like "welcome to Hicksville, home of the Sooners").

They've been doing it since the days of the late great Bennie Owen. I know. I was there. End of discussion. Close thread. NOW.

Originally Posted by 1988Boomer View Post
    84, 85, 86, 87 seasons 88 Grad. The OU Chant at the beginning, ooooooou at kickoff never. Home of the Sooners is embarrassing.
    You shouldn't get embarrassed because of what we do.
    The following users like this post: oucub23

6:20 shows they were doing it in 1996. 5:30 shows John Blake is worse than you remembered.
    The following users like this post: SoonerSD

Awesome song. Love hearing it after extra points.

Huh?? I've been going to games since '72 and there's no doubt I remember it being a normal kickoff routine during and wellbefore my tenure down there as a student from '82-'86.

Originally Posted by SoonerinLondon View Post
    This is the definitive answer...and STOP doing it when the other team kicks off. That is not the OU way.

And while we're at it, the stadium is "the Snake Pit"...not "the Palace on the Prairie"...and we don't need "Football time in Oklahoma" (which sounds like "welcome to Hicksville, home of the Sooners").
    I LOVE the SNAKE PIT. I remember Brent Musberger referring to it that way during the '83 OU-Nebraska game and I loved it. Wish that moniker would come back. These days, it might be considered offensive to snakes....
    The following users like this post: SoonerSD

Originally Posted by OklahomaDave View Post
    Huh?? I've been going to games since '72 and there's no doubt I remember it being a normal kickoff routine during and wellbefore my tenure down there as a student from '82-'86.
    I have reviewed as many you tubes as I can find. The first time I can find that it can be distinctively heard is 1991. I can't find a good 1990 video.

Here is '85 SMU. It is NOT there.

Kick off is approx 9:30

Here is Nebraska 1985. Kick off at 3:00. Not there.

Colorado '89. Nope.

1990 Pitt; Kickoff 3 ish

Not sure but not distinctive:

Va Tech 1991. Feint but there.
    :35