Longhorn Network No Longer Available Nationwide on Direct TV.

Posted 9 day(s) ago 4490 Views 92 Replies
Page 1 of 2 1 2

I know this will cause a lot of tears.

DIRECTV Now has moved the ESPN-owned Longhorn Network from a national channel available to most subscribers to a regional sports channel that can be watched largely only in Texas.

https://tvanswerman.com/2017/05/18/d...l-to-regional/

I guess I'll have to watch The Deadly Tower somewhere else now.
    3 users like soonerson's post: boomer8390, Yuck Fu, zcaa0g

I'm still getting it in Oklahoma. They are showing Texas softball in the tournament right now.

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    good. kill it.
    With fire.

Never watched a second of that nonsense.

That Hellhole brought down Mack, Charlie Strong, and now ESPN is in the crapper.

Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post

That network was a colossally stupid idea. Even the most loyal UT fan is not going to waste their time watching some UT swim meet vs. UTEP.
    2 users like Widescreen's post: MichaelJackson'sNose, Sooner2012

Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post
    I know this will cause a lot of tears.

DIRECTV Now has moved the ESPN-owned Longhorn Network from a national channel available to most subscribers to a regional sports channel that can be watched largely only in Texas.

https://tvanswerman.com/2017/05/18/d...l-to-regional/
    Longhorn Network? Never heard of it.
    2 users like meandmybutt's post: andymancan20, lonetreebill

If the Longhorns lose and it's on the Longhorn Network...does it make a sound?

Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    That network was a colossally stupid idea. Even the most loyal UT fan is not going to waste their time watching some UT swim meet vs. UTEP.
    Well yeah, but you COULD watch Bevo crap in a field for 8 hours on Christmas.

Originally Posted by Widescreen View Post
    It was a way for ESPN to televise Texas high school football. When that blew up in their face, they became a one trick pony.
    4 users like hawghiggs's post: ArmySooner, SA OSO, soonersanonymous, tycat947

So this means less money going into ESPN coffers to cover that expense...right? Less foisted subscribers, less money. That's the way I read it.

If true, that much more likely ESPN is going to try to think of creative ways to get out from under it.

How? Make things so uncomfortable Texas has to move conferences. They can't move anywhere and drag the LHN with them.

How do they do that? I'm sure the conspiratorial minds around here can come up with something.
    2 users like Hamilton's post: OU48A, StatGeek

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    ... much more likely ESPN is going to try to think of creative ways to get out from under it.
    why not just make it a conference-wide network and widen the audience?

a fox in the way?
    2 users like blackfrancois's post: Bob, Yuck Fu

Originally Posted by Salt City Sooner View Post
    Well yeah, but you COULD watch Bevo crap in a field for 8 hours on Christmas.
    Didn't they show My All American 24 straight hours like TBS shows A Christmas Story?

Shocking.....Who would have thought a Network without any content wouldn't work
    6 users like JamesBond's post: BellyOption, jakel, ouflak, RockE, tycat947, zcaa0g

Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
    It worked for MTV so thats prolly where they got idea?
    The following users like this post: Chk

Blow it up
    The following users like this post: Jett

Dumpster fire gonna dumpster fire... PeeWee gonna be PISSED

Former Big12 members sorry/not sorry to hear about this?
    The following users like this post: Homebrewed

Their athletic department is so bad ESPN fired them too
    The following users like this post: ouflak

Originally Posted by SoonerVikeThunder View Post
    You can only run the spring game so many times per day.
    The following users like this post: SoonerPride

6 users like mexican/ninja's post: boomer8390, jakel, JW3K, Normanx, sappstuf, tycat947

ESPN will probably push UT towards the ACC. That way they could try and force people on the east coast to buy their polished turd.
    The following users like this post: jakel

ESPN probably isn't even losing money on it. They're only paying Texas $15 million per year. They get $.29 per month per subscriber in the Texas footprint, and $.02 elsewhere. They only need 4.3 million subscribers in Texas to break even on it, which they are probably getting. Definitely not a good investment, but not a complete disaster either.

It was also funny that Texas Football, Basketball, and Baseball each went from top 15 programs to pure shit almost simultaneously with the creation of the network.
    3 users like sperry's post: boomer8390, hawghiggs, ~TheJoker~

Originally Posted by sperry View Post
    ESPN probably isn't even losing money on it. They're only paying Texas $15 million per year. They get $.29 per month per subscriber in the Texas footprint, and $.02 elsewhere. They only need 4.3 million subscribers in Texas to break even on it, which they are probably getting. Definitely not a good investment, but not a complete disaster either.

It was also funny that Texas Football, Basketball, and Baseball each went from top 15 programs to pure shit almost simultaneously with the creation of the network.
    You think they have 4.3 million people subscribing ?

Not buying that.
    The following users like this post: SA OSO

Originally Posted by htownSOONER View Post

Not buying that.
    http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...-12-stability/

20 million nationwide, 6.5 million in the Texas footprint. Nowhere near that many people actually watch it I'm sure, but if you have a sports package in Texas, you're probably paying for the LHN. Why cable is such a ****ing racket.
    The following users like this post: Homebrewed

http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...-12-stability/

20 million nationwide, 6.5 million in the Texas footprint. Nowhere near that many people actually watch it I'm sure, but if you have a sports package in Texas, you're probably paying for the LHN. Why cable is such a ****ing racket.
    If it's included in the sports package you can't apply every subscriber to be paying for the LHN. It's impossible for us but you'd have to look at how many would still subscribe without it. I'm guessing the overwhelming majority would still subscribe.

Woah, woah sport. Let's hold up there for a moment.

Once upon a time (if you are of a certain age group) MTV was the shit. Then about 92 or so, it all went downhill after that.

Then end.
    5 users like Tobias's post: cfin5256, IndySooner, jakel, oupunk, SA OSO

Originally Posted by htownSOONER View Post

Not buying that.
    I have Cox. I live in Oklahoma. I have the sports package. By default, I'm one of the Longhorn Network subscribers. I don't want it, I don't need it, but it's there staring at me when I scroll through the Cox guide. Examples like me are where they can tout how many subscribers the Longhorn Network (and other vanity cable channels) have.

Except that $15 million isn't even half of it. Operating costs will be a lot higher than that.

They may be breaking even, but it would only be by default from forcing it on the sports packages.
    6 users like Boomer Sooner's post: jakel, krock918316, mbm422, Mephistopheles, Nostalgic Scientist, OU48A

Originally Posted by Tobias View Post
    Woah, woah sport. Let's hold up there for a moment.

Once upon a time (if you are of a certain age group) MTV was the shit. Then about 92 or so, it all went downhill after that.

Then end.
    And that was exactly my point and I missed the mark on most understanding. MTV actually played music at first and then they didn't.

Shucks.
    The following users like this post: XingTheRubicon

Thursday, July 21st. 2016 LHN Lineup

From midnight on, we have LBJ Presents: Vietnam Summit, which sounds fascinating, though not exactly sports related. Then the 2005 Texas/OSU thriller, followed by Texas’s 2006 BCS Championship win over USC. Then six hours of Big 12 media days coverage. Then a four-hour documentary on the 2009 Texas football season. (I’m sure the 13-12 win over Nebraska in the Big 12 title game will be remembered in all its glory.)

At 4 PM, we have The Forty: 2015/2016 Greatest Plays, followed by Wide Open: Hook, Line, and Studdard, which is apparently an outdoors show featuring former Texas and Houston Texans lineman Kasey Studdard. That’s followed by LHN Stories VI and LHN Stories VII. Then we have that 2005 OSU game again, and then the 2006 USC game again. Then The Forty again. And then volume two of Hook, Line, and Studdard.
    And, if that is not riveting enough for you:

Longhorn Network, the 24-hour network devoted to The University of Texas, will debut Texas Cheer Thursday, Nov. 3 at 7 p.m. CT. A sports documentary, Texas Cheer will give viewers an intimate and up-close look at what it takes to become a part of the prestigious University of Texas Spirit Squad.
    The following users like this post: ArmySooner

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    That Hellhole brought down Mack, Charlie Strong, and now ESPN is in the crapper.
    And has nearly killed the B12
    4 users like the-rover's post: Homebrewed, ouflak, SA OSO, SoonerVikeThunder

Originally Posted by JamesBond View Post
    George Costanza created a television show about nothing.
    5 users like Jett's post: jakel, Naples_Sooner, RockE, RockFlagandEagle, soonirvana

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    And, if that is not riveting enough for you:

^ Boots, I hate you?

I don't know if it is still the case but for a long time you could not get the Longhorn channel in Austin

"Texas Cheer will give viewers an intimate and up-close look at what it takes to become a part of the prestigious University of Texas Spirit Squad."

...or you can YouTube it on ****hub for free

SS
    4 users like South slider's post: ArmySooner, IndySooner, lauderdaleOU, RockE

Originally Posted by the-rover View Post
    And has killed the B12
    Fixed for accuracy.
    2 users like IndySooner's post: Hamilton, soonirvana

And that was exactly my point and I missed the mark on most understanding. MTV actually played music at first and then they didn't.
    Well to be fair... it...was....the...only....one. There are plenty of sports shows on other networks.

Originally Posted by Boomer Sooner View Post
    Except that $15 million isn't even half of it. Operating costs will be a lot higher than that.

They may be breaking even, but it would only be by default from forcing it on the sports packages.
    Definitely true that they are forcing it on people that don't want it. But operating costs for this turd have to be very little. There's a reason they just show replays, and bevo grazing in a pasture all day.

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Fixed for accuracy.
    Well, there is an occasional pulse. I'd call it life support.

But yeah, it needs to be put out of it's misery.

Why on Earth would a Sooner fan want the Longhorn Network to die?! It's proven to be a debilitating distraction to every coach it comes in contact with. It ended up spelling the end for probably the second best coach in their entire history, for God's sake.
    5 users like drumhead23us's post: Jett, OU48A, ouflak, RockFlagandEagle, TheBoots

Originally Posted by Jett View Post
    George Costanza created a television show about nothing.
    George Costanza had talent, something sorely lacking in Longhorn athletics.

By most accounts the LHN has not been very successful and has way underperformed expectations.
    It’s not a stretch to see why a financially strapped ESPN may want out of the deal if they feel they could turn the LHN into something more profitable.

If UT moved to the B1G with OU, KU and one other they would be making more money without the LHN.
    It’s not a stretch to see why UT might want out of the LHN and move to the B1G if they could pick another Texas university to go with them.