OU Baseball - Skip Johnson Era Begins

Posted 223 day(s) ago by metes114248 Views 769 Replies
Results 751 to 770 of 770
Page 16 of 16 6 14 15 16
  1. #751
    Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    I guess you have to define winning. Do you expect College World Series trips 4 out of 5 years? We've been a pretty consistent winner outside of the last few years. That hasn't brought people out to the park.
    How do we define winning in any OU sport, including softball?? Conference championships, regionals, and be a regular in contention for super regionals and CWS. LSU and texas seem to have set and maintain a pretty high bar, why should we expect anything less?

  2. #752
    Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    How do we define winning in any OU sport, including softball?? Conference championships, regionals, and be a regular in contention for super regionals and CWS. LSU and texas seem to have set and maintain a pretty high bar, why should we expect anything less?
    Because we're not LSU & Texas. We don't have the facilities, we don't have the tradition and we don't have the talent in our state. That's the reality of it.

    As long as our fans continue to think our programs should be winning titles every year to be successful - and to support them - we will be behind the 8-ball.

  3. #753
    Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Because we're not LSU & Texas. We don't have the facilities, we don't have the tradition and we don't have the talent in our state. That's the reality of it.

    As long as our fans continue to think our programs should be winning titles every year to be successful - and to support them - we will be behind the 8-ball.
    Which is exactly why I said WINNING is the only solution. I promise you if we begin rolling off conference championships, hosting and winning regionals, and maybe a SR in the next 5-7 years, and the outlook is good, you will see fans taking notice with an increased interest, ticket demand will increase, blah, blah, blah, and we'll end up with better facilities. For crying out loud, you don't need to look further than the softball team for the formula. And all because of winning.

  4. #754
    Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    Just a guess but I think, maybe not most but a good number of the high school kids drafted in Oklahoma are from the Ripleys & Drumrights of the state.. Small school baseball is a year round thing for a large number of schools... I wouldn't knock a scout that spends time looking at those schools..

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    really...please continue. Bundy moved from Sperry to Owasso because he wanted to get drafted. He knew he had to play against TRUE Talent to get a real look. I have a buddy that played for the Braves and played for a small school, but he had no looks until he went to college. Baseball is a year round thing now that you have an organization like Sand Lot. I am not sure what schools you are talking about that they only play baseball year around, because I don't know any....Even Drumright doesn't do that year around.

  5. #755
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    29,758
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    I need to run… but Skip will be on KREF in a few minutes.

    http://radio.securenetsystems.net/v5/KREF
    The following users like this post: northspeter


  6. #756
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    8,893
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    really...please continue. Bundy moved from Sperry to Owasso because he wanted to get drafted. He knew he had to play against TRUE Talent to get a real look. I have a buddy that played for the Braves and played for a small school, but he had no looks until he went to college. Baseball is a year round thing now that you have an organization like Sand Lot. I am not sure what schools you are talking about that they only play baseball year around, because I don't know any....Even Drumright doesn't do that year around.
    You don't know small school baseball then.. & that's ok.. Drumright hasn't had anyone drafted in forever, I was just including them because it seemed you knew what small schools are but putting Sperry in that equation & not knowing about fall & spring ball at small school programs, tells me that you don't know.. & again, that's ok.. I'm talking, Asher, Silo, Rattan, Dale, Binger, Ft. Cobb, there are many more & they have players drafted, every year...

    You play TRUE talent in travel leagues & showcases, not in highschool leagues.. Playing at Owasso didn't get him drafted top 5.. He would've been a top 5 pick had he stayed at Sperry..

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    3 users like northspeter's post: CrimsonOberon, OU48A, soonerfromblair


  7. #757
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    8,893
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    Btw, Perfect Game has OU ranked 18th in their preseason poll...

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    3 users like northspeter's post: CrimsonOberon, IndySooner, metes


  8. #758
    Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    Btw, Perfect Game has OU ranked 18th in their preseason poll...

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    This should be a pretty good team. I'm excited to see how it pans out. Working on a couple of spring business trips to OKC so I can catch some baseball at LDM.
    2 users like IndySooner's post: metes, northspeter


  9. #759
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    8,893
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    This should be a pretty good team. I'm excited to see how it pans out. Working on a couple of spring business trips to OKC so I can catch some baseball at LDM.
    Steele & Irvin are both rated top 100 draftable players & I think Steele is on a few preseason AA teams..

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

  10. #760
    Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    You don't know small school baseball then.. & that's ok.. Drumright hasn't had anyone drafted in forever, I was just including them because it seemed you knew what small schools are but putting Sperry in that equation & not knowing about fall & spring ball at small school programs, tells me that you don't know.. & again, that's ok.. I'm talking, Asher, Silo, Rattan, Dale, Binger, Ft. Cobb, there are many more & they have players drafted, every year...

    You play TRUE talent in travel leagues & showcases, not in highschool leagues.. Playing at Owasso didn't get him drafted top 5.. He would've been a top 5 pick had he stayed at Sperry..

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    bud, we played Asher every year. I grew up in a small school, we would play legion ball of course, but it was not YEAR around baseball. I wont argue on Binger etc because I don't know. And you are 100 and 10 ****ing % wrong on Bundy, I know them, I know the scout, and I know the family. They went there to showcase him playing against BA's etc to prove he could play and belonged there. And his dad would not let him pitch in the finals, and they thought that would hurt them

  11. #761
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    8,893
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    bud, we played Asher every year. I grew up in a small school, we would play legion ball of course, but it was not YEAR around baseball. I wont argue on Binger etc because I don't know. And you are 100 and 10 ****ing % wrong on Bundy, I know them, I know the scout, and I know the family. They went there to showcase him playing against BA's etc to prove he could play and belonged there. And his dad would not let him pitch in the finals, and they thought that would hurt them
    His brother was drafted in the 8th round, out of Sperry... That kind of defeats your argument...

    You didn't play Asher in the fall did you? Cuz they play spring baseball & fall baseball... They only break for basketball season.. just semantics... If you're wanting to argue the year round comment, you win.. It's spring & fall.. With lots of kids drafted from those types of schools, every year..

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

  12. #762
    Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    His brother as drafted in the 8th round, out of Sperry... That kind of defeats your argument...

    You didn't play Asher in the fall did you? Cuz they play spring baseball & fall baseball... They only break for basketball season.. just semantics... If you're wanting to argue the year round comment, you win.. It's spring & fall.. With lots of kids drafted from those types of schools, every year..

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    are you trying to argue the point that you know more than I do about the Bundy's? Yes his brother did get drafter, and look at that round. They didn't want D to fall that far. I am telling you are wrong on this part. We played asher during Legion Ball which is summer.
    Ok white flag, I have to save some debating for the wife....I am using it all up here.
    The following users like this post: northspeter


  13. #763
    Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    How do we define winning in any OU sport, including softball?? Conference championships, regionals, and be a regular in contention for super regionals and CWS. LSU and texas seem to have set and maintain a pretty high bar, why should we expect anything less?
    We went to the CWS in '92, '94 and '95. I guess missing the CWS in '93 killed our attendance?
    3 users like TumbleweedDoom's post: CrimsonOberon, IndySooner, northspeter


  14. #764
    Originally Posted by TumbleweedDoom View Post
    We went to the CWS in '92, '94 and '95. I guess missing the CWS in '93 killed our attendance?
    Sorry you can’t see the bigger picture of what winning is.

  15. #765
    Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    Which is exactly why I said WINNING is the only solution. I promise you if we begin rolling off conference championships, hosting and winning regionals, and maybe a SR in the next 5-7 years, and the outlook is good, you will see fans taking notice with an increased interest, ticket demand will increase, blah, blah, blah, and we'll end up with better facilities. For crying out loud, you don't need to look further than the softball team for the formula. And all because of winning.
    This is EXACTLY what we did in the early 90s and attendance didn't do anything in response. I know, I was there. Sure, there would be big game here and there with a attendance spike, but those games in February and March would be attended by 200 people. We had made the regionals EIGHT times in the previous 10 years BEFORE starting that CWS run AND winning the national title in '94. Pretty much every year we were ranked and then, in that stretch in the early to mid-90s, we were perennial top 10. In the last half of the 90s we were hosting regionals and going and winning 40-50 games a year and always ranked and always making a good postseason run.

    Even during Sunny's run from 2006-2013, we had a CWS, four Super Regionals and we hosted three regionals. Yet attendance stayed the same, except for the random bump for particular games.

    The winning has been there, the crowds haven't followed. During the 90s, baseball was probably our most successful sport on campus. The reasons why attendance hasn't come up can certainly be argued (weather, facilities, pace of play in baseball vs. softball, tradition, boorish coaches, artificial turf, etc) but the fact that crowds haven't been juiced by winning is an inarguable fact.
    4 users like TumbleweedDoom's post: CrimsonOberon, IndySooner, northspeter, OU48A


  16. #766
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    29,758
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Lincoln Riley and Skip have talked... Murray will play baseball this spring….

    Murray needs to show a great deal of improvement IMHO or stay with football… I have always felt that if he could not play baseball at a high enough level that switching positions from a QB to a slot receiver would be his best chance to earn good money with his athletic ability after college...

  17. #767
    Originally Posted by TumbleweedDoom View Post
    This is EXACTLY what we did in the early 90s and attendance didn't do anything in response. I know, I was there. Sure, there would be big game here and there with a attendance spike, but those games in February and March would be attended by 200 people. We had made the regionals EIGHT times in the previous 10 years BEFORE starting that CWS run AND winning the national title in '94. Pretty much every year we were ranked and then, in that stretch in the early to mid-90s, we were perennial top 10. In the last half of the 90s we were hosting regionals and going and winning 40-50 games a year and always ranked and always making a good postseason run.

    Even during Sunny's run from 2006-2013, we had a CWS, four Super Regionals and we hosted three regionals. Yet attendance stayed the same, except for the random bump for particular games.

    The winning has been there, the crowds haven't followed. During the 90s, baseball was probably our most successful sport on campus. The reasons why attendance hasn't come up can certainly be argued (weather, facilities, pace of play in baseball vs. softball, tradition, boorish coaches, artificial turf, etc) but the fact that crowds haven't been juiced by winning is an inarguable fact.
    So, not winning is the answer? Nothing happens unless you win, period, end of story. There is not one scenario you can throw out where over the long term we would improve fan attendance, improve fan interest, and improve facilities without also having on the field success behind it, not one.

  18. #768
    Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    So, not winning is the answer? Nothing happens unless you win, period, end of story. There is not one scenario you can throw out where over the long term we would improve fan attendance, improve fan interest, and improve facilities without also having on the field success behind it, not one.
    Yes, winning is not the answer, or at least the only one for the baseball program, as far as attendance. History and facts have proven that.
    4 users like TumbleweedDoom's post: CrimsonOberon, IndySooner, northspeter, OU48A


  19. #769
    OU48A's Avatar
    Posts
    29,758
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Norman

    Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    So, not winning is the answer? Nothing happens unless you win, period, end of story. There is not one scenario you can throw out where over the long term we would improve fan attendance, improve fan interest, and improve facilities without also having on the field success behind it, not one.
    I don’t think anyone is saying that winning big would not help…. but there are several other things in play too.

    My big one is the cold and wind…. Making the investment to winterize the stadium would last for as long as we play at LDM.

    Many of our fans are older and growing older… and are not as tough as they once were. This is our biggest demographic growth potential. (Most OU students are very weather wimpy)

    As a group it’s the older crowd who has the most money and the largest ability to donate back.

    After Boren is gone we could sell beer at $12 dollars a serving to help pay for this^
    The following users like this post: TumbleweedDoom


  20. #770
    Originally Posted by Crazyivan View Post
    So, not winning is the answer? Nothing happens unless you win, period, end of story. There is not one scenario you can throw out where over the long term we would improve fan attendance, improve fan interest, and improve facilities without also having on the field success behind it, not one.
    Of course I'm not saying NOT winning is the answer. But JUST winning is not the answer either. That's been proven. As I said, in the 90s, the OU baseball program was probably the most successful athletic program on campus and it still didn't get the attendance it should have. We have won at a level that attendance should go up, is all I'm saying, but it hasn't gone up -- therefore, there's obviously other reasons at play.
    The following users like this post: northspeter


Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 24th, 2017, 01:10 AM
  2. Is Skip trolling us?
    By ibleedcrimson in forum Football
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: October 30th, 2014, 02:50 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 21st, 2014, 08:50 PM
  4. Rapid reaction: OU baseball begins NCAA tournament with win
    By Mex The Dog in forum The Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 31st, 2013, 06:10 PM

Tags for this Thread