OU Baseball - Skip Johnson Era Begins

Posted 161 day(s) ago by metes85779 Views 669 Replies
Page 13 of 14 3 11 12 13 14

Top 20 signing class by baseball America!

https://twitter.com/OU_Baseball/stat...64515709886464

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    3 users like northspeter's post: freedombird, metes, OU48A

Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    Top 20 signing class by baseball America!

https://twitter.com/OU_Baseball/stat...64515709886464

For where OU baseball has been this is another sign of good progress
    3 users like OU48A's post: metes, northspeter, nstinson

The future of L. Dale Mitchell Ballpark..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZEcM9_lHyj/

3 users like northspeter's post: metes, nstinson, OU48A

Has the baseball project come anywhere close to its final fundraising goal?

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    No idea but this program is definitely moving in the right direction.

The following users like this post: OU48A

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    From what I hear, no, nowhere near the needed funding. Skip probably will have to win first before the funds grow.
    2 users like Rysooner1's post: northspeter, OU48A

Originally Posted by OUlaw0719 View Post
    Picked up a kid from Broken Arrow, Kohl franklin, today.
    Can you tell us more about this kid ? Pitcher? Guys I've talked to in Tulsa were very surprised Skip signed him. Maybe he's coming in as a position player ?

Originally Posted by BlackPinto View Post
    Can you tell us more about this kid ? Pitcher? Guys I've talked to in Tulsa were very surprised Skip signed him. Maybe he's coming in as a position player ?
    ss/pitcher.. 2018 grad.. He's big.. 6'3".. I assume he'll pitch, think he's been BA's ace..

ss/pitcher.. 2018 grad.. He's big.. 6'3".. I assume he'll pitch, think he's been BA's ace..

I hear he plays 2nd, has zero range and might be BA's 3rd best pitcher...Im also being told that his dad is good friends with Clay Overcash and that OU was not interested until he was hired. I just hope Skip does his due diligence on the rest of his players better than what he did here with this one.. The kid has been injury prone so that might be the reason the Tulsa guys aren't real high on him, maybe there is upside that OU sees..Whatever is best for the Sooners is what I want.. Boomer

I hear he plays 2nd, has zero range and might be BA's 3rd best pitcher...Im also being told that his dad is good friends with Clay Overcash and that OU was not interested until he was hired. I just hope Skip does his due diligence on the rest of his players better than what he did here with this one.. The kid has been injury prone so that might be the reason the Tulsa guys aren't real high on him, maybe there is upside that OU sees..Whatever is best for the Sooners is what I want.. Boomer
    I haven't seen him with my own eyes but he is rated the 10th best prospect in the state for the 2018 class.. Higher than any other BA player..

I haven't seen him with my own eyes but he is rated the 10th best prospect in the state for the 2018 class.. Higher than any other BA player..

That's good to know, must be a good player.. They did say he "quit" his high school team just a year ago in the middle of a tournament, his dad was a lay coach and "both took their toys and went home". Must have got that all worked out. I'll have to watch for him this Spring.

Boren gone = beer in the baseball stadium?
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Boren gone = beer in the baseball stadium?
    That offsite basketball arena seems like it may be where beer sales start since it won't be officially part of campus. I imagine baseball might also be a good place to "give it a try" so we will just have to wait and see. I think it's definitely a greater possibility with the change coming.

As far as second guessing recruiting. I don't remember anyone really pissing and moaning about individual players in any of Pete's recruiting classes. Skip is an exceptional recruiter and I highly doubt he would let one of his assistant coaches make a move on a kid if he didn't see real potential. The kid and his parents will fall in line or hit the bricks. Skip doesn't appear to **** around so we will see how this pans out.

If the kid and his dad are what you say they are. He will jump at any kind of draft spot just because they can. It happens all the time and we won't have to mess with either.
    2 users like metes's post: northspeter, OU48A

Picked up a 2018 commit last night from dbat.. OF/P, probably an outfielder... Bennett Laurence

The following users like this post: BlackPinto

Originally Posted by SoonerFun View Post
    Not to lecture you, but how many players a school signs does not automatically put said school high in the rankings. Take for instance the Army, they signed 27 and are not ranked high. Check the list and you will see that there many other schools that signed way more players than OU - they are not ranked even lose to OU. It is not necessarily hoe many get signed, but how high is each individual player ranked that matters. Of course, the more high ranked players you a school sight, the higher the school gets ranked.
    I agree, but which service do you guys look at as far as recruit rankings go? I've seen first hand how some of those work and sometimes players get on those lists that don't belong... I'd like to think this staff watches each player they offer and I'm sure they do on "most" of them..This season will be interesting with all the new faces.

I agree, but which service do you guys look at as far as recruit rankings go? I've seen first hand how some of those work and sometimes players get on those lists that don't belong... I'd like to think this staff watches each player they offer and I'm sure they do on "most" of them..This season will be interesting with all the new faces.
    There's several, just like with football. I scan them all..

Also, remember, up until OU hired him, Overcash was in the travel ball arena.. So Id venture to guess that he's seen most every offer that's been made since he came aboard..

There's several, just like with football. I scan them all..

Also, remember, up until OU hired him, Overcash was in the travel ball arena.. So Id venture to guess that he's seen most every offer that's been made since he came aboard..

Yes, Overcash owns or owned SANDLOT Baseball (travel teams) along with Franklin...Does Overcash have D1 coaching experience?

Originally Posted by Rysooner1 View Post
    From what I hear, no, nowhere near the needed funding. Skip probably will have to win first before the funds grow.
    Correct. Everybody is ranting and raving and talking about turning the corner, etc. Let's wait till we play some ball and see. Win, and the money will flow.

Yes, Overcash owns or owned SANDLOT Baseball (travel teams) along with Franklin...Does Overcash have D1 coaching experience?
    Yes, at UNC Ashville & then has spent the last 20yrs as a scout... Started the Sandlot club about 8 or so years ago..

KREF.... Rowland says he has seen a preliminary OU baseball schedule and says half the games will be against NCAA tournaments teams.
    3 users like OU48A's post: metes, northspeter, nstinson

Found this on another thread…about the new Mississippi State baseball stadium
    But this shows where the competition is going with its baseball facilities. It sets the standard for others.

OU and its Baseball fans have got to show enough ownership in our own program to help make the improvements that have been announced.

https://www.athleticbusiness.com/sta...l-stadium.html

Mississippi State is raising the bar when it comes to college baseball facilities. The school unveiled a $40 million plan for Dudy Noble Field on Tuesday that "aims to remake the Bulldogs’ home ballpark into the finest in college baseball." Looking at the renderings, and the fly-through video below, it's clear that goal isn't just hyperbole.

The master plan calls for a new double-tiered grandstand with chairback seating, an elevated concourse that encircles the playing field, welcoming entry plazas, a kids' play area, berm seating, upgraded field lighting, an HD video board, digital ribbon signage, improved team areas and "dramatically improved aesthetics."

Of course there will be several premium seating options as well — fans can even sleep at the ballpark.

Plans call for approximately 50 skyboxes (25 in the main grandstand, 25 in the outfield) and club and loge seating. The outfield suites will feature two bedrooms, a bath, kitchen and living space for year-round use.

The Jackson, Miss., design team of Wier Boerner Allin Architecture and Populous, in consultation with MSU alum Janet Marie Smith, produced the proposed Dudy Noble Field Master Plan concept.
    The following users like this post: metes

Could either OU baseball or softball consistently draw crowds of 5,000 plus? Softball which might outdraw baseball seems to get crowds of a bout 2,000 at best.

No

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Could either OU baseball or softball consistently draw crowds of 5,000 plus? Softball which might outdraw baseball seems to get crowds of a bout 2,000 at best.
    always been a reason, excuse, lack of interest, ect for why crowd support is not what it is for the other sports at OU like it is for football. I get bad seasons draws off attendance but even when OU is winning at a high level in basketball or baseball, filling up the stadium for a home games has been a problem even before the Thunder arrived. When i lived in OKC i got to as many games in multiple sports as i could, but for some attending a game is not as a big deal in the culture as it is in other states i guess.
    The following users like this post: tycat947

I always thought Oklahoma was a big baseball state. Guess I was wrong...

Maybe we should build a new ballpark near the proposed basketball arena and build it in a way where the cold north wind doesn’t keep fans from attending like it can at LDM.

FYI, the NCAA passed a resolution to seed all 16 1-seeds in the tournament now. That’s good change.

At this point, I think both programs would be ecstatic to average in the 1,500-2,000 range. Of the two, I think softball's drawing power is a little higher right now. The average OU alum can actually give you the names of at least a few current players. If capacity were greater, I think OU softball could occasionally hit some pretty big attendance numbers for weekend games. I'm not sure that's true for baseball.

It's a weird deal with baseball attendance, IMO. All of the states surrounding Oklahoma draw significantly better than OU or OSU even when the Sooners/Pokes are good. There's a cultural disconnect somewhere. But given how big a deal that college baseball is in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, and even Kansas (WSU and KSU both outdraw us by quite a bit) then maybe we can figure it out.

Originally Posted by SoonerFan63 View Post
    I always thought Oklahoma was a big baseball state. Guess I was wrong...
    It is.. I think oru gets decent attendance & the juco's do ok too... I've never understood the OU baseball/basketball fan.. OSU used to draw in both of those but not football, that's been a 180 since miles & gundy, coupled with the losses of Sutton & Ward..

The following users like this post: cfin5256

Schedule is out. I’m on the road or I would post it.

Originally Posted by metes View Post
    Schedule is out. I’m on the road or I would post it.
    It's pretty great. I also don't have it in any form that I can post it.

http://www.soonersports.com/SportSel...&Q_SEASON=2017

Baseball - 2018 Schedule
    DATE OPPONENT LOCATION TIME (CT) RESULTS MEDIA
    Bash on the Beach
    Fri, Feb 16 Indiana Myrtle Beach, S.C. 11:00 a.m.
    Sat, Feb 17 South Alabama Conway, S.C. 10:00 a.m.
    Sat, Feb 17 Coastal Carolina at Conway, S.C. 2:00 p.m.
    Sun, Feb 18 Virginia Tech Myrtle Beach, S.C. 9:30 a.m.

Wed, Feb 21 Abilene Christian Norman 3:00 p.m.
    Fri, Feb 23 Holy Cross Norman 3:30 p.m.
    Sat, Feb 24 Valparaiso Norman 12:00 p.m.
    Sat, Feb 24 Holy Cross Norman 3:30 p.m.
    Sun, Feb 25 Valparaiso Norman 2:30 p.m.
    Tue, Feb 27 Dallas Baptist at Dallas 6:00 p.m.
    Fri, Mar 02 Alabama Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Sat, Mar 03 Alabama Norman 2:00 p.m.
    Sun, Mar 04 Alabama Norman 1:00 p.m.
    Tue, Mar 06 Dallas Baptist Norman 6:00 p.m.
    Fri, Mar 09 Texas A&M Corpus Christi Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Sat, Mar 10 Texas A&M Corpus Christi Norman 1:00 p.m.
    Sat, Mar 10 Texas A&M Corpus Christi Norman 4:00 p.m.
    Sun, Mar 11 Texas A&M Corpus Christi Norman 1:00 p.m.
    Tue, Mar 13 Texas Southern Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Wed, Mar 14 Texas Southern Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Fri, Mar 16 Kennesaw State Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Sat, Mar 17 Kennesaw State Norman 2:00 p.m.
    Sun, Mar 18 Kennesaw State Norman 1:00 p.m.
    Tue, Mar 20 Wichita State at Wichita, Kan. TBA
    Fri, Mar 23 West Virginia * Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Sat, Mar 24 West Virginia * Norman 2:00 p.m.
    Sun, Mar 25 West Virginia * Norman 1:00 p.m.
    Tue, Mar 27 Oklahoma State Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Thu, Mar 29 Baylor * Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Fri, Mar 30 Baylor * Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Sat, Mar 31 Baylor * Norman 2:00 p.m.
    Tue, Apr 03 Oral Roberts at Tulsa, Okla. 6:30 p.m.
    Fri, Apr 06 TCU * at Fort Worth, Texas 6:30 p.m.
    Sat, Apr 07 TCU * at Fort Worth, Texas 4:00 p.m.
    Sun, Apr 08 TCU * at Fort Worth, Texas 1:00 p.m.
    Tue, Apr 10 Little Rock Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Fri, Apr 13 Texas * Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Sat, Apr 14 Texas * Norman 2:00 p.m.
    Sun, Apr 15 Texas * Norman 1:00 p.m.
    Tue, Apr 17 Oral Roberts Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Fri, Apr 20 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas 6:30 p.m.
    Sat, Apr 21 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas 2:00 p.m.
    Sun, Apr 22 Texas Tech * at Lubbock, Texas 2:00 p.m.
    Tue, Apr 24 UT Arlington at Arlington, Texas TBA
    Fri, Apr 27 Oklahoma State * Oklahoma City TBA
    Sat, Apr 28 Oklahoma State * Tulsa, Okla. TBA
    Sun, Apr 29 Oklahoma State * Tulsa, Okla. TBA
    Fri, May 04 Kansas State * Norman 6:30 p.m.
    Sat, May 05 Kansas State * Norman 2:00 p.m.
    Sun, May 06 Kansas State * Norman 1:00 p.m.
    Fri, May 11 UCF at Orlando, Fla. TBA
    Sat, May 12 UCF at Orlando, Fla. TBA
    Sun, May 13 UCF at Orlando, Fla. TBA
    Thu, May 17 Kansas * at Lawrence, Kan. 6:05 p.m.
    Fri, May 18 Kansas * at Lawrence, Kan. 6:05 p.m.
    Sat, May 19 Kansas * at Lawrence, Kan. 1:05 p.m.

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    It's pretty great. I also don't have it in any form that I can post it.
    It’s real nice. I like it!

Big ass home stand!

Here's a link to the Twitter gif of the schedule

https://twitter.com/OU_Baseball/stat...51676706590720

There is a lot of early season games in Norman, after the Myrtle Beach set. Usually even OU tries to play a few OOC away games in warm climates. I like seeing Alabama in Norman, on the schedule.

I'm looking forward to this season and to Skip Johnson as the Head Coach....more excited than I have been in years. I hope I'm not getting false hopes up, but with the rebuild of L. Dale coming and getting what seems like a good college coach after 2 not so good ones, I think the program is finally pointing in the right direction.
    The following users like this post: nstinson

Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    There is a lot of early season games in Norman, after the Myrtle Beach set. Usually even OU tries to play a few OOC away games in warm climates. I like seeing Alabama in Norman, on the schedule.

I'm looking forward to this season and to Skip Johnson as the Head Coach....more excited than I have been in years. I hope I'm not getting false hopes up, but with the rebuild of L. Dale coming and getting what seems like a good college coach after 2 not so good ones, I think the program is finally pointing in the right direction.
    I remain cautiously optimistic

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post

Originally Posted by nstinson View Post
    I remain cautiously optimistic

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
    With what we having coming back plus the addition of a fully competent Skipper, should equate to a nice post season run. We were on the cusp of hosting last season and we return a lot.
    2 users like metes's post: northspeter, nstinson

It appears, the Halloween game this year, will be a tandem effort with the softball team

Here comes the money....

https://twitter.com/CoachJohnsonOU/s...89699305312256

3 users like northspeter's post: IndySooner, metes, OU48A

Did anyone go today’s game?
    http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211673589

OU’s FALL WORLD SERIES SCHEDULE
    Monday, Oct. 23 3 p.m.
    Tuesday, Oct. 24 3 p.m.
    Friday, Oct. 27 6:30 p.m.
    Sunday, Oct. 29 12 p.m.
    Tuesday, Oct. 31 3 p.m.

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    The highlights on Instagram were awesome... Thomas Hughes was a good host..

3 users like northspeter's post: blackfrancois, metes, nstinson

Do you think Murray will play baseball this coming Spring?

Bunch of former Sooners that made it to the majors retweeted a skip video tonight. I've seen Russ Ortiz, Magnifico and Chase Anderson for sure. We need that kind of stuff.
    3 users like OUlaw0719's post: metes, northspeter, OU48A

Originally Posted by OUlaw0719 View Post
    Bunch of former Sooners that made it to the majors retweeted a skip video tonight. I've seen Russ Ortiz, Magnifico and Chase Anderson for sure. We need that kind of stuff.
    Skip was tweeting about this being a big weekend for the program... It looked like it was in regards to recruiting but I think he's making a big push for donations, so that could be part of it too..

The following users like this post: OU48A

Do you think Murray will play baseball this coming Spring?
    Yes

Looks like we are getting a new video board.
    2 users like metes's post: northspeter, OU48A

Originally Posted by metes View Post

Looks like we are getting a new video board.
    I hope it’s a lot clearer than the old one.... but its operators have left a lot to be desired in recent years.
    Same thing with the PA music and score board operators.

Can someone fill us in on the background of this class? How does it rank among all schools? Will there be some subtractions from the current squad to accommodate these new SOONERS? Are any of them possibly going to be signed to pro contracts before they can get to OU? Are there some difference makers among the group?