1. #1

    Do you guys havd any kids playing on showcase baseball teams this year?

    My oldest has played on a couple of teams, and GEEEZZZUUUSS KROLLY this shit is expensive. Atlanta, Chicago, OU this weekend. It is really a cool experience for these boys that want to get looks though. I am hoping he gets a few offers. Coastal Carolina has been talking to him a little bit, but that is the longest shot of them all. Before asked, he couldn't play at OU, well OU would not look at him.

  2. #2
    Boomer75's Avatar
    Posts
    669
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Norman, OK

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    My oldest has played on a couple of teams, and GEEEZZZUUUSS KROLLY this shit is expensive. Atlanta, Chicago, OU this weekend. It is really a cool experience for these boys that want to get looks though. I am hoping he gets a few offers. Coastal Carolina has been talking to him a little bit, but that is the longest shot of them all. Before asked, he couldn't play at OU, well OU would not look at him.
    I am curious as to his age and baseball experience that led him this type of team. I have a couple sons that play ball. I know it is an open ended question, but not sure what to ask. Thanks.

  3. #3
    Originally Posted by Boomer75 View Post
    I am curious as to his age and baseball experience that led him this type of team. I have a couple sons that play ball. I know it is an open ended question, but not sure what to ask. Thanks.
    he is 17 and will be a SR. to be honest there are a ton of these teams around but I didn't know anything about them. Around soph year is when I should have started him. They played at OU yesterday and there were several scouts there from college teams. He got on because his highschool coach knew a guy that knew a guy kinda thing.

  4. #4
    Boomer75's Avatar
    Posts
    669
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Norman, OK

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    he is 17 and will be a SR. to be honest there are a ton of these teams around but I didn't know anything about them. Around soph year is when I should have started him. They played at OU yesterday and there were several scouts there from college teams. He got on because his highschool coach knew a guy that knew a guy kinda thing.
    Do you feel that this showcase is necessary to get offers from schools? Are people selling them pretty hard?

  5. #5
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    8,482
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    What's the difference between showcase & competitive travel ball..?

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Originally Posted by Boomer75 View Post
    Do you feel that this showcase is necessary to get offers from schools? Are people selling them pretty hard?
    If he is a good player for a big school, no worries.

  7. #7
    Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    What's the difference between showcase & competitive travel ball..?

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    Travel ball and this kind of the same thing. But now they are building power teams and playing a "show case" for these scouts where they can go to one tournament and see all of these players
    The following users like this post: northspeter


  8. #8
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    8,482
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    Travel ball and this kind of the same thing. But now they are building power teams and playing a "show case" for these scouts where they can go to one tournament and see all of these players
    Ok, that rings a bell.. When Bryce Harper was coming up he & his brother played on a showcase team out of okc/moore...

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    2 users like northspeter's post: H82Lose, oupunk


  9. #9
    So my son plays on a select team in Texas. He is 16. He has been playing competitive ball since he was ten. When he was ten he was on a AAA team playing all over the U.S. Looking back, amazing how good the competition was. I believe once he reached 14, you no longer are classified as a major team. I will say, if your son is good he knows it. As a parent you know it too. Can they compete at the highest level at their age group? Go watch some of these tournaments. If your son wants to be seen, he will need to be a reputable select team. A team a coach has a network that can reach out to scouts. Look at Perfect Game Tournaments, Diamond King Tournaments and check out the team listings. Also, check the colleges that attend these tournaments. My son plays for a team and is 16 and has scholarship. He has been recruited, watched since last year when he was 16 years old as a sophomore. You as a parent need to decide if your son can compete as it is not cheap. Its $2500 to play for the season not counting travel expenses for my sons team. He has access to cages, lessons, etc. Our team goes non stop as soon as HS baseball stops. We go TCU, DBU, OU, Baylor, Houston, Tech, and will be headed to Fort Myers July 16 for a week. Our team has a roster of 17, 5 of which have verbal commits / scholarships, and are all incoming juniors. Scouts are not going to HS games. They can see a hundred kids on any given weekend at these elite tournaments. Dont believe what your HS coach says. Now, your HS team may have a recruit a D1 school wants to see and your player may be seen then, but dont believe scouts head to these weeknight games, unless your son is special, not that he is not. So, look as mentioned, check out Diamond King tournaments, Perfect Game. Also, look at their twitter feeds as they showcase player for the scouts. Its a business. When the teams register for the tournaments these scouts get printouts of hgt/wgt etc to review these players. Good luck to your son. Wish him the best....
    The following users like this post: PokeJ


  10. #10
    Originally Posted by Mcrueb1 View Post
    So my son plays on a select team in Texas. He is 16. He has been playing competitive ball since he was ten. When he was ten he was on a AAA team playing all over the U.S. Looking back, amazing how good the competition was. I believe once he reached 14, you no longer are classified as a major team. I will say, if your son is good he knows it. As a parent you know it too. Can they compete at the highest level at their age group? Go watch some of these tournaments. If your son wants to be seen, he will need to be a reputable select team. A team a coach has a network that can reach out to scouts. Look at Perfect Game Tournaments, Diamond King Tournaments and check out the team listings. Also, check the colleges that attend these tournaments. My son plays for a team and is 16 and has scholarship. He has been recruited, watched since last year when he was 16 years old as a sophomore. You as a parent need to decide if your son can compete as it is not cheap. Its $2500 to play for the season not counting travel expenses for my sons team. He has access to cages, lessons, etc. Our team goes non stop as soon as HS baseball stops. We go TCU, DBU, OU, Baylor, Houston, Tech, and will be headed to Fort Myers July 16 for a week. Our team has a roster of 17, 5 of which have verbal commits / scholarships, and are all incoming juniors. Scouts are not going to HS games. They can see a hundred kids on any given weekend at these elite tournaments. Dont believe what your HS coach says. Now, your HS team may have a recruit a D1 school wants to see and your player may be seen then, but dont believe scouts head to these weeknight games, unless your son is special, not that he is not. So, look as mentioned, check out Diamond King tournaments, Perfect Game. Also, look at their twitter feeds as they showcase player for the scouts. Its a business. When the teams register for the tournaments these scouts get printouts of hgt/wgt etc to review these players. Good luck to your son. Wish him the best....
    This is the key to your post. Perfect Game, etc., are in it for the business. I don't believe for a minute that if a kid is good enough he won't be seen in a high school game. The recruiting services have put that out there to make their product more valuable.
    The following users like this post: northspeter


  11. #11
    Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    This is the key to your post. Perfect Game, etc., are in it for the business. I don't believe for a minute that if a kid is good enough he won't be seen in a high school game. The recruiting services have put that out there to make their product more valuable.
    If a kid is talented enough he will make the team on one of the top travel teams in the state. In baseball a kid increases his chances of being seen by a recruiter or scout many times over by playing on One of the top summer travel team. Same with basketball.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: IndySooner


  12. #12
    Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    If a kid is talented enough he will make the team on one of the top travel teams in the state. In baseball a kid increases his chances of being seen by a recruiter or scout many times over by playing on One of the top summer travel team. Same with basketball.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don't disagree with that. The question for me is, with baseball, when does that investment pay off. If you're a really good baseball player and you earn a D1 scholarship, it's a partial scholarship. You certainly don't get that money back in the scholarship. Then, if you're good enough to play in the minors, you most likely get paid a low salary and get a small signing bonus to play. Again, you haven't gotten return on your investment. The ONLY kids who see the return on their investment are the top kids, the ones that get drafted early, sign a big bonus and are slotted for AA, AAA and MLB. That's a VERY small percentage of these kids.

    PG and the programs like it are selling the opportunity to get recruited and improve draft stock. They're charging big bucks to do so. It doesn't pay off for the majority of the people, though. To me, it's a bit of a scam.

  13. #13
    StroudSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    8,012
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    OKC

    Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    This is the key to your post. Perfect Game, etc., are in it for the business. I don't believe for a minute that if a kid is good enough he won't be seen in a high school game. The recruiting services have put that out there to make their product more valuable.
    The Bookout boys only played little league and then high school. The scouts made Stroud a second home for a decade.

  14. #14
    Originally Posted by StroudSooner View Post
    The Bookout boys only played little league and then high school. The scouts made Stroud a second home for a decade.
    To be fair, things have changed drastically since we were kids. I'm making my points just as much for people to tell me why it's worth it (I have a son who is showing signs of having talent, and thus, we are going to have to make some decisions).
    The following users like this post: northspeter


  15. #15
    Originally Posted by StroudSooner View Post
    The Bookout boys only played little league and then high school. The scouts made Stroud a second home for a decade.
    It's not 1995 anymore but obviously if a kid is talented enough they will be seen. Also what pro careers did the Bookouts have?


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: northspeter


  16. #16
    StroudSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    8,012
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    OKC

    Oldest made it to AAA and a cup of coffee in the league.

    Kevin should have went baseball, IMO, but loved basketball. I think he still holds the home run record, any class, for the state. He did for a long time anyway. If he loved baseball that way he loved basketball I bet he would be in the league now. Middle brother blew a knee in HS football.
    The following users like this post: northspeter


  17. #17
    My son played on his first coach pitch team this spring. I helped out and was amazed at the douchebaggery by other team's coaches.

    I was a good player back in the day and found some of those guys (coaches) to be real shortpeckers.
    The following users like this post: northspeter


  18. #18
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    8,482
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    Originally Posted by StroudSooner View Post
    Oldest made it to AAA and a cup of coffee in the league.

    Kevin should have went baseball, IMO, but loved basketball. I think he still holds the home run record, any class, for the state. He did for a long time anyway. If he loved baseball that way he loved basketball I bet he would be in the league now. Middle brother blew a knee in HS football.
    Kevin spent his post basketball time trying to get into the Olympics, was never quite Olympic quality...

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

  19. #19
    Originally Posted by Boomer75 View Post
    Do you feel that this showcase is necessary to get offers from schools? Are people selling them pretty hard?
    If you have daughters, it definitely is. College coaches rarely if ever go to high school softball games for example, and high school fastpitch teams don't do a lot of traveling, if any. I don't know much about women's hoops, except that Traber is better than all of them.

    Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    What's the difference between showcase & competitive travel ball..?

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    Most competitive travel teams will go to showcases to get their kids seen. Schollys for kids on your team ups your exposure and brings in better players, so it works out for everyone.

  20. #20
    Originally Posted by Mcrueb1 View Post
    So my son plays on a select team in Texas. He is 16. He has been playing competitive ball since he was ten. When he was ten he was on a AAA team playing all over the U.S. Looking back, amazing how good the competition was. I believe once he reached 14, you no longer are classified as a major team. I will say, if your son is good he knows it. As a parent you know it too. Can they compete at the highest level at their age group? Go watch some of these tournaments. If your son wants to be seen, he will need to be a reputable select team. A team a coach has a network that can reach out to scouts. Look at Perfect Game Tournaments, Diamond King Tournaments and check out the team listings. Also, check the colleges that attend these tournaments. My son plays for a team and is 16 and has scholarship. He has been recruited, watched since last year when he was 16 years old as a sophomore. You as a parent need to decide if your son can compete as it is not cheap. Its $2500 to play for the season not counting travel expenses for my sons team. He has access to cages, lessons, etc. Our team goes non stop as soon as HS baseball stops. We go TCU, DBU, OU, Baylor, Houston, Tech, and will be headed to Fort Myers July 16 for a week. Our team has a roster of 17, 5 of which have verbal commits / scholarships, and are all incoming juniors. Scouts are not going to HS games. They can see a hundred kids on any given weekend at these elite tournaments. Dont believe what your HS coach says. Now, your HS team may have a recruit a D1 school wants to see and your player may be seen then, but dont believe scouts head to these weeknight games, unless your son is special, not that he is not. So, look as mentioned, check out Diamond King tournaments, Perfect Game. Also, look at their twitter feeds as they showcase player for the scouts. Its a business. When the teams register for the tournaments these scouts get printouts of hgt/wgt etc to review these players. Good luck to your son. Wish him the best....
    My friend's 14 year old son is playing in that Ft Myers tourney. At least a tourney down there at that time. He plays on a few teams (Ok, Dallas and one from Cali). The Cali team is the big boys I as I understand it. He seems to at least hold his own when playing in these tourneys. My buddy says as long as he is injury free and continues on the same path he'll play college ball.

  21. #21
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    8,482
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    I kind of agree with Indy here... If your involved in the travel teams because of scholarships or draft exposure, the return on your investment is not good.. If your kid loves playing & enjoys his time on these teams, then it doesn't matter.. Do you get more exposure? Yes.. Will it be the difference between you getting a scholarship or not, getting drafted or not? The answer is most likely, no...

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk
    The following users like this post: StroudSooner


  22. #22
    My view is the best at the high school level always end up playing for the premier showcase teams. Occasionally prospects will slip through the cracks if they are from a small town or had a stud player in front of them but Division 1 recruiting these days happens about 70% in the summer/fall showcase circuit and 30% around high school games. Recruiting coordinators just aren't able to travel to many high school games that aren't close by for them because most occur in-season for college baseball. Summer ball is usually where they can see the most amount of players at once and maximize the bang for their buck of travel expenses.

    Perfect Game Showcases are generally not worth the money UNLESS they are the big events such as PG National, PG Underclass, etc.

    Some of the PG Tournaments like the PG Fall WWBA in Jupiter, the PG summer tournament in Ft. Myers, and the 17U WWBA event in East Cobb are huge recruiting events and worth the trip.

    Usually, the best events for exposure are free such as the Area Code and Under Armour/PG All-American Games. As a general rule, the most highly regarded scouting events invite you rather than you requesting an invite/paying ridiculous sums.

    If anyone has any specific questions about the ins & outs of Showcase or Club/Select baseball, feel free to PM me. I'm about as well versed as one could be on the subject having played select/club baseball from the age of 9-14 and showcase from age 15-18 and played at the D1 level afterward.

  23. #23
    StroudSooner's Avatar
    Posts
    8,012
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    OKC

    Originally Posted by Hallucinogenic_Toreador View Post
    My son played on his first coach pitch team this spring. I helped out and was amazed at the douchebaggery by other team's coaches.

    I was a good player back in the day and found some of those guys (coaches) to be real shortpeckers.
    Unfortunately, you haven't seen nothing yet Dad!
    The following users like this post: IndySooner


  24. #24
    Like I said, perfect game and diamond king are showcase tourns. They are driven for scouts to come see the elite teams. Mind you, lesser talented teams can get in but it is a good experience for those teams to play against the competition. It is a business, absolutely. We are In 6a school system and I can tell you I never saw any D1 program line up on the fence taking pitching speeds, base path speeds, ball off bat speeds at our HS games. Our HS teams program got three verbals this summer by D1 programs. Scouts use these venues to see multiple kids. The difference in these tourns is a scout can ask the coach to out this kid In position, throw this kid , that kid. You don't see this dialogue with a scout in say, the Mickey mantle tournaments. A different setting. The payoff, your kid gets seen and if he's good, he gets an offer or at least it's gets on their radar.

  25. #25
    coach, I kindly disagree. My son did get a 80 percent 4 year verbal. Out of state, that's 34k a year. That pays itself off.

  26. #26
    One last thought coach, go to perfect game or diamond King and look at the kids that get scholarships, verbals due to being scene at the venues. I know personally 9, this summer. D1. These kids weren't even looked at during a hs school game. Just giving you my opinion. I do agree, it's big money. It cost a team roughly a thousand dollars. But, we are playing 5-6 games per weekend.

  27. #27
    northspeter's Avatar
    Posts
    8,482
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Tulsa area

    Originally Posted by Mcrueb1 View Post
    coach, I kindly disagree. My son did get a 80 percent 4 year verbal. Out of state, that's 34k a year. That pays itself off.
    Congrats to you & your son. Caution though.. Verbal offers are meaningless & those scholarships are not 4 year guarantee's.. Signed scholarships are 1 year.. They can & probably will renew it at the end of each year but sometimes they don't(coaches discretion).. Just giving a heads up, in case you didn't know..

    Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

  28. #28
    Originally Posted by Mcrueb1 View Post
    coach, I kindly disagree. My son did get a 80 percent 4 year verbal. Out of state, that's 34k a year. That pays itself off.
    Your son is obviously very good. That said, verbal offers change all of the time. They only have 11.5 schollies for a 35 man roster. Most get 1/4 schollies. Only the best get the big offers. Maybe your boy is one of the best. If so, I hope you're here because he's coming to OU!

    The thing about the PG and Diamond Kings programs is they're only good for 5% or so of the players. The rest will never see the benefit of them.
    2 users like IndySooner's post: northspeter, StroudSooner


Similar Threads

  1. All you parents that have kids playing sports... must see
    By SoonerSteve1 in forum Entertainment & Tech
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: December 19th, 2013, 09:18 PM
  2. Bedlam baseball playing two games in Tulsa next year
    By Mex The Dog in forum The Press Box
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: September 19th, 2013, 04:00 AM
  3. OKlahoma kids playing for UT
    By drspencer in forum Football
    Replies: 28
    Last Post: October 15th, 2012, 10:42 PM

Tags for this Thread