Ryan Broyles - To Open New Restaurant on Campus Corner

Posted 7 day(s) ago 1727 Views 30 Replies

Ryan Broyles - To Open New Restaurant on Campus Corner

http://www.oudaily.com/sports/oklaho...a0e32fbde.html

Ryan Broyles is quite the business man. He has financed/started Tfb which has two websites with ads, stated a rentail company and now a restaurant.

I'm glad to see a former player invest his nfl money to make it long term. He's a great ambassador for the university.
    3 users like oupunk's post: CrimsonOberon, meandmybutt, Stinger_1066

Yeah he just seems like a good dude. Happy for him.
    The following users like this post: Ruf Nek

He was smart about budgeting himself to live on 60k or so when he was in the NFL. Hopefully for him, he's smart about how to invest.

I've always liked Broyles. Hope his restaurant succeeds. Will be a great location to drink at before the games and see all the fans!
    2 users like dallasstars10's post: OU812, oupunk

I hate to say this but the old joke around Norman was to "hurry up and eat at the new restaurant before it closes." The problem with the corner has always been that student housing moved to the west and south sides of campus years ago so it was not as easily walkable for students. And most people who open down there don't realize that the total pie is smaller than you would expect. I hope maybe Broyles place can attract the suburbanites back down to the corner. I've always thought that was what was needed down there.

A restaurant startup is deadly business. i heard years back 1 in 10 make past a few years. Perhaps Ryan has some backers and is not sinking all the initial cash in himself. Good luck to him, hope he makes it a go.

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    I hate to say this but the old joke around Norman was to "hurry up and eat at the new restaurant before it closes." The problem with the corner has always been that student housing moved to the west and south sides of campus years ago so it was not as easily walkable for students. And most people who open down there don't realize that the total pie is smaller than you would expect. I hope maybe Broyles place can attract the suburbanites back down to the corner. I've always thought that was what was needed down there.

In the past 3-4 years the university has been cracking down on the alcohol policy big time. That means all the fraternity and sorority guys have to go off-campus to party, meaning there is a bunch more money funneling into the bars. There's a patio, so the food part will do well when the weather is nice, but otherwise just gotta get the kids in the door thursday-saturday nights.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    A restaurant startup is deadly business. i heard years back 1 in 10 make past a few years. Perhaps Ryan has some backers and is not sinking all the initial cash in himself. Good luck to him, hope he makes it a go.
    Underfunding is the primary reason. Not reinvesting funds is the other. That goes with any business but hits restaurants harder due to the number of competition.

The parking situation on campus corner is a hindrance to business.
    In the last 3 or 4 years a pretty large number of new small apartments and even a few condos have been built within walking distance of Campus Corner.
    It would be nice to see a major hotel with condos build somewhere near campus corner but the City of Norman would never allow that.
    2 users like OU48A's post: Bruno Gianelli, Yuck Fu

The problem is more that Norman is a ghost town when school isn't in session. Even when school is in session and there is no big weekend event (e.g. football game) a lot of the student population returns home to n. Texas
    2 users like cbsooner's post: JW3K, thefranchise17

I live in Norman and rarely eat at campus corner due to parking. Just don't like the hassle.

Wonder if he will have something "Broyled" on the menu
    The following users like this post: SoonerinLA

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    In the last 3 or 4 years a pretty large number of new small apartments and even a few condos have been built within walking distance of Campus Corner.
    It would be nice to see a major hotel with condos build somewhere near campus corner but the City of Norman would never allow that.
    That's another reason that west siders (and people in newer developments throughout Norman) don't bother to go down there. If there were a place that was REALLY good that maybe wasn't a specialty place they might do it. I think it's also a hindrance that downtown and the corner aren't really connected due to the church district. If people do go down there they tend to go to one or the other. That's on thing I liked about Columbia, MO. The area adjacent to campus ran into downtown Columbia. It seemed that you could start in one and end up in the other on foot.
    The following users like this post: cscsooner

1 in 10 make it.

Hope it does well.

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post
    That's another reason that west siders (and people in newer developments throughout Norman) don't bother to go down there. If there were a place that was REALLY good that maybe wasn't a specialty place they might do it. I think it's also a hindrance that downtown and the corner aren't really connected due to the church district. If people do go down there they tend to go to one or the other. That's on thing I liked about Columbia, MO. The area adjacent to campus ran into downtown Columbia. It seemed that you could start in one and end up in the other on foot.
    There are a lot of things done by the City of Norman that prevent it from reaching its potential and that’s just the way those who have held the balance of power want it.

Originally Posted by D1ehard5oon3r View Post
    That ad would seem to indicate that liquor will be plentiful, Good start.
    2 users like CrimsonOberon's post: Sooner Showtime, Sooner2012

Its not just Broyles. He is just part of the ownership group. Hopefully it includes some people in the restaurant business. I'm sure it does.

It's the overhead.

Definitely rooting for him but I hope he understands what he's getting into. Opening up a restaurant is one of the quickest ways possible to go broke. I'll definitely give his place a try when I'm in town.

Have a good chicken fried steak and I'm in.

I remember one thing from the Transition Assistance Program I went through before leaving active duty. A handful of people in the class were planning on starting restaurants upon their discharge from service. The small business expert they had brought in to speak to us had one word of advice "DON'T!!". This was 2001 and I doubt the market for restaurants has gotten any easier.

Originally Posted by jakel View Post
    It's the overhead.
    it's the crappy food...
    most places on campus corner try to make a living on alcohol and to hell with the quality of their food...
    3 users like 87sooner's post: AppalachianSooner, BellyOption, Sooner2012

Originally Posted by 87sooner View Post
    it's the crappy food...
    most places on campus corner try to make a living on alcohol and to hell with the quality of their food...
    Kinda like:
    The following users like this post: BellyOption

Originally Posted by gratefulRed View Post
    I live in Norman and rarely eat at campus corner due to parking. Just don't like the hassle.
    I live in Norman and rarely eat at campus corner because most of the restaurants aren't worth my money. If the food is good at The Porch, I'll go eat there.

Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    Kinda like:
    3 users like gratefulRed's post: Mazeppa, Sooner Nation, Sooner Showtime

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    The OU Motel isn't too far.

Originally Posted by CrimsonOberon View Post
    Have a good chicken fried steak and I'm in.
    Yeah, it's hard to find a good chicken fried steak in Oklahoma. If Broyles can pull that off, the quail sautéed in a raspberry reduction and served on a bed of seared fennel and foie gras might have a chance.
    The following users like this post: JBret

My guess is his name will be enough to get him more than a fair chance. Drinks are pretty much drinks, at least to an undergrad on a Friday night, and buying them from Ryan Broyles is cooler than not buying them from Ryan Broyles.

Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    Kinda like:
    ....the magic formula....plenty of wings, breasts and thighs

SS
    2 users like South slider's post: Mazeppa, Sooner Showtime

Originally Posted by Balko View Post
    Yeah, it's hard to find a good chicken fried steak in Oklahoma. If Broyles can pull that off, the quail sautéed in a raspberry reduction and served on a bed of seared fennel and foie gras might have a chance.
    You can let me know--I'll stick with the steak.