Watchin The Band's " Last Waltz " this evening

Posted 11 day(s) ago 295 Views 13 Replies

Watchin The Band's " Last Waltz " this evening

And Levon Helm explains rock and roll

2 users like Hermit's post: beelzeBob, smusooner

Last Waltz is a favorite. Levon was none too happy about this film and understandably so.

Scorsese made Robbie shine. Robbie was talented on guitar but couldn't sing worth a flip. His mic was intentionally dead throughout much of the night.

Van the Man and Bob Dylan were fire though. Neil Young had a coke booger during his performance.

Lots of fun history and side stories associated with the Bands career and final live show together.
    The following users like this post: Hermit

One more thought. I love music documentaries and recently watched "Searching for Sugar Man".

Unreal. Genuinely hard to believe this is a true story.

Highly recommend....carry on talk about the Last Waltz though!

Originally Posted by smusooner View Post
    Van the Man...
    a highlight of the film, fo sho.
    The following users like this post: smusooner

Originally Posted by smusooner View Post
    Last Waltz is a favorite. Levon was none too happy about this film and understandably so.

Scorsese made Robbie shine. Robbie was talented on guitar but couldn't sing worth a flip. His mic was intentionally dead throughout much of the night.

Van the Man and Bob Dylan were fire though. Neil Young had a coke booger during his performance.

Lots of fun history and side stories associated with the Bands career and final live show together.
    Way back in the days before YouTube and ability to preview music I bought his solo CD that had Broken Arrow on it from the used bin because it was like $2...turns out there are guests all over it. IIRC. That was the only thing that made it redeemable. His voice is pretty close to putrid.

One of the two songs he did with U2 is great. Sweet Fire Of Love. The contrast between RR's voice and that of 27-28 year old Bono is stunning. May have been one more good song on it. I don't remember.

Also, on topic, gotta give some love for Dry Your Eyes by Neil Diamond. Think it only appears in this film.
    The following users like this post: smusooner

Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    Way back in the days before YouTube and ability to preview music I bought his solo CD that had Broken Arrow on it from the used bin because it was like $2...turns out there are guests all over it. IIRC. That was the only thing that made it redeemable. His voice is pretty close to putrid.

One of the two songs he did with U2 is great. Sweet Fire Of Love. The contrast between RR's voice and that of 27-28 year old Bono is stunning. May have been one more good song on it. I don't remember.

Also, on topic, gotta give some love for Dry Your Eyes by Neil Diamond. Think it only appears in this film.
    I'll go back and listen to the U2 collaboration. And the Neil Diamond appearance has some funny banter between Neil and Bob Dylan. Apparently, Neil walked off stage and said something like "top that" to Bob. Bob responded in some way, "what put people to sleep". Neil swears it was just good hearted banter.

Also, Levon didn't understand why Robbie and Martin wanted Neil on the ticket given the scarce connection The Band had with Neil. Robbie co-wrote "Dry Your Eyes" with Neil.

I liked Neil's performance and think the "controversies" make it even better

Love the Last Waltz. I have the DVD. It's always so impressive to see someone sing their ass off while playing drums like Levon. Seems like a tough thing to do and sound great at the same time.
    2 users like yoshi's post: Keef, smusooner

The guy doesn't even look at his drums when he's drumming.

Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    Love the Last Waltz. I have the DVD. It's always so impressive to see someone sing their ass off while playing drums like Levon. Seems like a tough thing to do and sound great at the same time.
    No doubt Levon was a tremendous talent and stayed true to "The Big Pink" roots near Woodstock to the very end. If I recall he provided "music camps" near Woodstock until he passed.

Also, The Band was with Bob Dylan during his transition to electric. This traces to Bob's highly divisive electric performance at Newport. Basically Bob heard that Newport was cancelling Butterfields electric performance and said "f" that I'll show them.

Butterfield's performance with The Band in the Last Waltz is one of the more underrated, overlooked parts of the show

It's just such a testament to how well respected The Band was. Everyone that were major stars at the time where there. I know it's easy to pick The Weight because it's their most famous song, but I could listen to The Staples sing the phone book. Pop Staples verse gives me chills. Van Morrison kills it with Caravan. I wish Robbie and Levon could have weathered the storm and not broken up. They were too talented. Post Robbie, their cover of Atlantic City by Springsteen is way better than the original.
    2 users like ocugolf's post: Keef, smusooner

Originally Posted by ocugolf View Post
    It's just such a testament to how well respected The Band was. Everyone that were major stars at the time where there. I know it's easy to pick The Weight because it's their most famous song, but I could listen to The Staples sing the phone book. Pop Staples verse gives me chills. Van Morrison kills it with Caravan. I wish Robbie and Levon could have weathered the storm and not broken up. They were too talented. Post Robbie, their cover of Atlantic City by Springsteen is way better than the original.
    Atlantic City is a cover but The Bands version is so good I don't even think of it as a Springsteen song. Pop and The Staples performance is off the charts.

Wish they could have stuck it out but appreciate Robbie was done with touring. His point is pretty well made that few people can survive the road...

(By the way, Pop also made a fun cameo in The Talking Heads "True Stories")

Originally Posted by yoshi View Post
    The guy doesn't even look at his drums when he's drumming.

It's not like they were going to move.

Although he's passed, I still follow Levon and the Barn on facebook.
    The following users like this post: Keef

too bad dylan's 'planet waves' album isn't on youtube. good album with the band.