Old Norman Bars

Posted 116 day(s) ago by okienole34081 Views 85 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2
    Originally Posted by mgsooner View Post
    Whaaaaat?????
    You ever watch a band at Brothers on game day called "Wrecked Out."??

Jimmy Swat at Kelly's.

If you were there in the '80's, you know what I'm talking about!

Louie's. I swear to god .50 pitchers on Thursday night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by sooner333 View Post
    Bad news for the guy who likes Brothers...they are moving to their Step Brothers location which is close to Service Station a few blocks from Campus Corner.
    With gameday rapidly approaching, does anybody know anything about the status of this? A friend drove by Step Brothers within the past month or so and reported zero activity whatsoever.

With gameday rapidly approaching, does anybody know anything about the status of this? A friend drove by Step Brothers within the past month or so and reported zero activity whatsoever.
    My wife had her 35th Norman High reunion there a couple of weeks ago.
    The following users like this post: mgsooner

Originally Posted by kingswitz View Post
    My wife had her 35th Norman High reunion there a couple of weeks ago.
    Did it appear they were making actual progress toward Brothers being open at that location by 9/2?

Originally Posted by okienole3 View Post
    Had a conversation to day about old bars in Norman and could not remember the name of a place. It was on Jenkins and Lindsey in the same building as the old Sooner Superette. You had to walk downstairs to get down to it. Anyone remember this place or the name?
    Sorry, but I was out of the country when you created this thread and am seeing it for the first time today.

I was a student there from 78 - 82. I remember that place being called the Khyber Pass. But I know it also went by a lot of other names.

Anyone remember Zanzibar’s (SP) on west main?
    The following users like this post: jdub

Originally Posted by OU48A View Post
    Yeah, but never went there. Wasn't it where Chick-fil-a is now? No wait, in the old Target building? Somewhere in that area. It was a dance club I think and hot chicks used to hang outside.

Originally Posted by okienole3 View Post
    Had a conversation to day about old bars in Norman and could not remember the name of a place. It was on Jenkins and Lindsey in the same building as the old Sooner Superette. You had to walk downstairs to get down to it. Anyone remember this place or the name?
    Tip's Tavern? That's what it was called back in the late 90's. Used to play there in my punk rock days and my Dad and I watch OU/Louisville there in 98.
    The following users like this post: Slytherin

Originally Posted by Morningwood View Post
    I saw L.A. Guns at the Edge, early 90's
    I saw "Book of Love" at Rome circa 89-90.

Saw the Replacements several times at the Fox/Castle
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

Originally Posted by Midtowner View Post
    Jimmy Swat at Kelly's.

If you were there in the '80's, you know what I'm talking about!
    I loved Kelly's. Had a friend that was in a local band (and I can't think of their name) played there a lot. They worked for "door" and so much in drinks, but they had to provide their door man. I was their door guy for the free drinks. Standing order was any ID worked, especially for girls. They wanted the college kids in, but High School kids out. Fun times.

Originally Posted by AlSwarengin View Post
    Tip's Tavern? That's what it was called back in the late 90's. Used to play there in my punk rock days and my Dad and I watch OU/Louisville there in 98.
    Tip's. Heh. I forgot all about that place.

Anyone remember Space Dog?

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    Yeah, but never went there. Wasn't it where Chick-fil-a is now? No wait, in the old Target building? Somewhere in that area. It was a dance club I think and hot chicks used to hang outside.
    As I recall, the even better looking chicks hung out inside.

As I recall, the even better looking chicks hung out inside.
    Yeah, but the trashier/easier ones were outside. I remember lots of OU players from Blake's years hung out there.

80s dance bar. I remember it. I'm trying to remember where it was at. Was it where Boomerang restaurant was?

Ps: I'm loving this tread. Not sure why, maybe r missing going back to school or just missing things that go by like hang outs and bars and friends

Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post
    80s dance bar. I remember it. I'm trying to remember where it was at. Was it where Boomerang restaurant was?
    90s. Main, just east of interstate. Old Target store. Dammit, why do I bother?
    2 users like Slytherin's post: OU48A, Redhawk

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Campus Corner

& Close to the Theater.

Originally Posted by Redhawk View Post

Ps: I'm loving this tread. Not sure why, maybe r missing going back to school or just missing things that go by like hang outs and bars and friends
    It was just west of the old target. I was invited to a private party in the fall of 1979. That was my first trip.
    The following users like this post: Redhawk

Originally Posted by soonergrad78 View Post
    73-78 student here. My memory is not as good as once was. We did a thing was called bar trek, we went to every bar in Norman and had one beer or more. We had t-shirts made with the list of bars on it. Wish I had one now so I could name them all. O'Connells, Jockey Strap, Fontenelli's, Big 8 Beer Garden, Walter Mitty's, High Horse Tavern, Sooner Broadcast System, Beaver Palace, Donavan's Reef, later South Forty, I think, Mr Bills, The Mont, the Green or Blue Onion. The Student Union had happy hour on Friday's from 3-5, $1.10 pitchers. Yeh bicycle ride back to Cate Center was interesting.
    Remember those, plus the Grey Fox.

[QUOTE=Yuck Fu;3408591]
    Originally Posted by RocketCitySooner View Post

O'Connell's opened in their old location in 1968. I'm positive about that. I'd be curious what was in that building prior to O'Connell's. In Stubbeman "Mr Bill's" lasted from the late '70s until the sometime in the 2000s.

Louie's/South 40 over by the OU motel was there in the old days. That Castle looking place on West Lindsey was a gazillion different places as was that place just west of it over by the skating rink. And there was that place west of Legend's. Highhorse?

On campus corner there was Fontinelli's, Walter Mitty's (strip joint/bar).

There was that place out on Classen that was by the OU golf course called "Greater Oklahoma Territory'. Main Street had Sooner Broadcast System/Opera house. West Main had Infinity/Zanzibar.

The late 70s were great because it was 18 for beer, Prior to September 1976 it was 21 for guys and 18 for girls for 3.2 beer. From 1976 until 1986 (when they made it 21 for everything) beer bars were a unique Oklahoma tradition. When the feds made everyone go to 21 and Oklahoma quit doing liquor by the wink those old beer clubs couldn't survive and the laws pretty much made an incentive to have a restaurant/bar instead of strictly a bar.
    Positive that it was 18 for beer for guys in '73, '74, '75 when I was there. And I think that it was a local City ordinance by Norman that changed it about '72 or '73.

It was just west of the old target. I was invited to a private party in the fall of 1979. That was my first trip.
    When that place was called Infinity (before Zanzibar) it was a big greek hot spot. By the time it became Zanzibar it was more of a towny type place. Same thing happened when the Strap turned into the Firehouse.

[QUOTE=goldenokiebear;3450980]
    Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post

Positive that it was 18 for beer for guys in '73, '74, '75 when I was there. And I think that it was a local City ordinance by Norman that changed it about '72 or '73.
    I wonder how local city ordinance can overrule state law?

Prior to 1976: Oklahoma
    Men:
    Women:
    18: 3.2% ABW beer
    21: for beer stronger than 3.2% ABW, wine and liquor[70]
    1976:
    Lowered to 18 (for 3.2% ABW beer) for both sexes in 1976 (Dec) [71]
    Last state to lower the drinking age.

Old Norman Bars

Did it appear they were making actual progress toward Brothers being open at that location by 9/2?
    They just said that was the plan after losing their lease. I would imagine they would be ready for football Saturday's. Not 100% sure though.
    The following users like this post: mgsooner

Zanzibar

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    90s. Main, just east of interstate. Old Target store. Dammit, why do I bother?
    I thought the bar back around ‘83 next to Target was The Brass Rail, but I think you are right. So where was the Brass Rail?

Buchanan Street (I think that was what it was called) - COIN well drinks on Tuesdays (any coin)
    Misal's - 4 for 1's on Wednesdays (served in a HUGE paper cup)
    Denco's - The "Darlin" after a long night of drinking...whew...
    Interurban - up on Main?
    The Mont - a classic...still go there on game days when I'm in town
    The following users like this post: McRib

Originally Posted by JDSooner View Post
    Buchanan Street (I think that was what it was called) - COIN well drinks on Tuesdays (any coin)
    Misal's - 4 for 1's on Wednesdays (served in a HUGE paper cup)
    Denco's - The "Darlin" after a long night of drinking...whew...
    Interurban - up on Main?
    The Mont - a classic...still go there on game days when I'm in town--- Former Mont barback here.

Former Mont magic man here.

Originally Posted by Conagher View Post
    In the late 80s, this place was called The Cellar. Upstairs was a place called The Attic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    ❤️❤️❤️

Originally Posted by Bootlegger'sBoy View Post
    In the early 90s Stubbeman Village was host to an interesting spot. Rome XC was upstairs in a converted twin cinema. Its layout was one side techno/house DJ dancing with live music in the opposite room. Conveniently located across the street from Adams/Walker, it was one of those 18/21 setups where they checked IDs but then served everyone anyway.

Dancing wasn't my thing, but they attracted a really diverse group of performing acts. Someone had graffitied the trash dumpster in the parking lot, "Flaming Lips". I recall showing up one night to find Wayne Coyne and friends on-stage. A few months later the Lips made a well-publicized appearance, and the line stretched 360 degrees around the building.
    Yes! You are what, 2 years older than me? Or 3? Also saw the Nixons there.

Has anyone mentioned Vista?
    2 users like McRib's post: Bootlegger'sBoy, Slytherin

Originally Posted by Conagher View Post
    In the late 80s, this place was called The Cellar. Upstairs was a place called The Attic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
    It was The Lower Deck in the early 90s. That’s where the 2 girls kissed and got kicked out. Made satellite truck news. Early 90s. I sat at the bar with a buddy and talked to Eschbach as he was broadcasting there one night before all that went down.
    The following users like this post: Bootlegger'sBoy

Originally Posted by McRib View Post

Still mad Vista never reopened.
    3 users like OnlyOneOklahoma's post: McRib, metes, WalkOn

In the early 90s Stubbeman Village was host to an interesting spot. Rome XC was upstairs in a converted twin cinema. Its layout was one side techno/house DJ dancing with live music in the opposite room. Conveniently located across the street from Adams/Walker, it was one of those 18/21 setups where they checked IDs but then served everyone anyway.

Dancing wasn't my thing, but they attracted a really diverse group of performing acts. Someone had graffitied the trash dumpster in the parking lot, "Flaming Lips". I recall showing up one night to find Wayne Coyne and friends on-stage. A few months later the Lips made a well-publicized appearance, and the line stretched 360 degrees around the building.

2 years (Don't saddle me with any more than I've earned.) The Nixons were regulars at Rome, and they were awesome! Can I get an "Amen"?

After college, the Vista wound up being my favorite spot for about a decade. My kids were little, so I didn't get out much, but when I could catch a break I lived close enough to walk to the Vista.

Originally Posted by OnlyOneOklahoma View Post
    Still mad Vista never reopened.
    I'd like to see that jackass contractor deported. He's on my list for more reasons than that project, but that was some BS. You know that after he farted around for three-and-a-half years, the job still had to be re-done?

Originally Posted by SoonerAtty View Post
    It was The Lower Deck in the early 90s. That’s where the 2 girls kissed and got kicked out. Made satellite truck news. Early 90s. I sat at the bar with a buddy and talked to Eschbach as he was broadcasting there one night before all that went down.
    I remember that, too! I recall the LBGA (It was easier to spell back then.) planned a big gay kiss-off down there. The bar owner caught wind of it, and closed the place down for a week. After all of that, business never recovered. He finally sold the place. Dude died a tragic death not long thereafter.
    2 users like Bootlegger'sBoy's post: McRib, SoonerAtty

2 years (Don't saddle me with any more than I've earned.) The Nixons were regulars at Rome, and they were awesome! Can I get an "Amen"?

After college, the Vista wound up being my favorite spot for about a decade. My kids were little, so I didn't get out much, but when I could catch a break I lived close enough to walk to the Vista.

I'd like to see that jackass contractor deported. He's on my list for more reasons than that project, but that was some BS. You know that after he farted around for three-and-a-half years, the job still had to be re-done?

I remember that, too! I recall the LBGA (It was easier to spell back then.) planned a big gay kiss-off down there. The bar owner caught wind of it, and closed the place down for a week. After all of that, business never recovered. He finally sold the place. Dude died a tragic death not long thereafter.

Ope hahahaha sorry dear, in my mind though we are all still 17 & changing clothes on a bus at the duck pond
    Good times tho, so much. Brb gotta get my 90s playlist goin for the day. ❤️
    The following users like this post: Bootlegger'sBoy

Scrolled through the thread looking for mention of Vista. Had some good times there but mostly remember it for the loss to little brother in 2002
    The following users like this post: McRib