'18 LB Merlin Robertson - Offer - Undecided

Posted 200 day(s) ago by TheBoots35616 Views 167 Replies
Page 4 of 4 2 3 4
    I don’t know what’s going on but committable offers for this kid are dropping like flies.

Originally Posted by RDC212 View Post
    I don’t know what’s going on but committable offers for this kid are dropping like flies.
    where are you getting this information?

Originally Posted by LawtonSooner1082 View Post
    Speed is more valuable at OLB(but needed at all LB positions) because not only do they have to help DE's set the edge in run support, they are also responsible for coverage, commonly in the flats.... this is the Big XII where every team has vertical passing threats at every position.

Height and reach are a premium for ILB/MLB's because height and reach allows for ILB's to close passing lanes over the middle.

Rocky Calmus is a great example. He was long and tall in addition to having great ball skills and being a proficient open field tackler. He had a lot of big game INT's while at OU.

Jordan Evans was a late bloomer, but he ended up being pretty good the further he got into his college career.
    So awesome to remember a time when our linebackers picked off passes

Like last year...oh and this year?
    Originally Posted by smusooner View Post
    So awesome to remember a time when our linebackers picked off passes
    3 users like qaz's post: Bear_Jew, Hogarita, NickDangerThirdEye

Originally Posted by Soonskin View Post
    where are you getting this information?
    From his own head of course. He’s all seeing and all knowing and don’t you dare question him
    The following users like this post: CalSOONER

Maybe teams are getting full?

Lawton/Ft. Sill, OK, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere

Originally Posted by OkieThunderLion View Post
    I agree with your examples of Evans and Calmus. Length was asset in coverage for sure. But I'd still prefer pad level over length for the inside guys. Give me Lofton!

Regarding OLB, you bring up a good point about speed and coverage, especially in the B12. Which is why I didn't understand the move of Grissom from DE to OLB his senior year. I understand it's where he perhaps profiled in the NFL, but he continually got abused in coverage. He was at his best in '13 with his hand on the ground.

So there are 2 opposing theories here. Do you want quick OLB to maximize your coverage? Or do you want size/length for the hand-to-hand combat vs OTs? NFL 3-4s favor size. But perhaps quickness is more important in college.
    This will be my last response on tactics because people are catching feels, and technically, I am derailing the thread.

This depends on who you're playing, the type of offenses they run and the ability of their personnel. In a perfect world, one would hope that your OLB's, and all LB's for that matter, are physical enough to best OT's and fast enough to not let RB's/TE's/WR's behind them in coverage and/or being able to run them down once they pass the line of scrimmage.

Against a competent Texas team, you need elite OLB's because their TE's & SE's are great run blockers in addition to being able to run routes and have good hands. Since Texas OL's have been trash, they haven't been able to run or pass block with consistency.

Against teams that pass a lot.... basically three-fourths of the teams in the Big 12, coverage is more important.

That is no excuse though to have basic fundamental deficiencies. Eventually, during the course of a season, an opposing coach will be able to figure out what those deficiencies are.... and if they have the personnel to execute a game highlighting those deficiencies and play a clean game, the team gets exposed and you lose a game that you're not supposed to lose. Generally, you cannot win championships with one-dimensional players... that's all I'm going to say on that.

The NFL prefers elite... at any position.

Thanks for the compliment, even though you erased it. I did play football growing up, but a career-ending injury took away any chance of playing sports. It's funny, because my first love is soccer.

I wouldn't mind getting into coaching though.
    The following users like this post: Milehisooner

Last edited by LawtonSooner1082; December 16th, 2017 at 07:10 AM.

So, are we still chasing this guy or not?

Originally Posted by landrun View Post
    So, are we still chasing this guy or not?
    TFB reported back on the 6th of December that OU had moved on.

Not sure if related, but on the 2nd, LR sent out a cryptic tweet signalling 3 possible silent verbals. One may have been White. That would be the spot Robertson was slated for.

That said, he retweeted this 2 days ago.

Wonder if they have someone else lined up? Or did White take his spot?

We have so many OLBs right now I can see them moving on from a 190 lb guy. We need ILBs!

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    We have so many OLBs right now I can see them moving on from a 190 lb guy. We need ILBs!
    Merlin is about 6'3 240

I'll be rooting for him wherever he goes, seems like a great kid and mean football player. Really bummed we don't have a place for him, and I'll leave it at that
    The following users like this post: MyT Oklahoma

Last edited by TheBorenSupremacy; January 7th, 2018 at 10:47 PM.

Originally Posted by TheBorenSupremacy View Post
    I'll be rooting for him wherever he goes, seems like a great kid and mean football players. Really bummed we don't have a place for him, and I'll leave it at that
    Yeah, but I am proud of Riley for not dicking him around. A whole bunch of coaches would have strung him along all the way to Signing Day.

Originally Posted by smusooner View Post
    Merlin is about 6'3 240
    Hehe I only checked the link posted here

Wonder why that isn't from his main page link

Appears Texas is after him now, as he is in the process of setting up an official there .