Punt Returns

Posted 73 day(s) ago 3122 Views 49 Replies

Punt Returns

So I'm rewatching OU vs OSU and even in the 1st quarter I'm noticing some really stupid strategy on our punt returns. Not only were they not blocking OSU players, but since they weren't you had 5-6 OSU guys getting free releases. Now most of you are going to say so what because of how much we fair catch. Normally I would too however if I'm Gundy im telling punter to throw sum**** since they aren't rushing you. Kid would have had at 3-4 targets to throw to and only about 3 OU guys covering. It'll be interesting to see if that was a Stoops thing or does Boulware just really suck at special teams.

Regarding special teams, I hope Lincoln has a better grasp of when and when not to try a FG.
    6 users like soonerson's post: BozTheGreat&Powerful, RDC212, RockE, Rufus T Firefly, SA OSO, zcaa0g

refer to the Clempson playoff game. Shittiest punt coverage in all of FBS.
    4 users like lauderdaleOU's post: Hallucinogenic_Toreador, RDC212, SA OSO, zcaa0g

What are these punt returns of which you speak?
    7 users like SoonerScribe's post: BozTheGreat&Powerful, CalSOONER, gratefulRed, jakel, ouwasp, RDC212, zcaa0g

Originally Posted by TheJaffe View Post
    So I'm rewatching OU vs OSU and even in the 1st quarter I'm noticing some really stupid strategy on our punt returns. Not only were they not blocking OSU players, but since they weren't you had 5-6 OSU guys getting free releases. Now most of you are going to say so what because of how much we fair catch. Normally I would too however if I'm Gundy im telling punter to throw sum**** since they aren't rushing you. Kid would have had at 3-4 targets to throw to and only about 3 OU guys covering. It'll be interesting to see if that was a Stoops thing or does Boulware just really suck at special teams.
    Tp he fair, some, if not all, of those guys aren't eligible to catch passes. I've voiced my concern on the free release, no punt rush strategy.
    The following users like this post: Zeeb10

Answer is quick kick every third down. If the other team figures it out we quick kick every second down. If the other team figures it out we quick kick every first down or run the fumblerooski.

Originally Posted by lonetreebill View Post
    Answer is quick kick every third down. If the other team figures it out we quick kick every second down. If the other team figures it out we quick kick every first down or run the fumblerooski.
    3rd down? If we get there, fire the OC.
    4 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: BozTheGreat&Powerful, lonetreebill, RDC212, Tough Guy

Go back and watch DeDe's PR TD vs. KU. Is it just me or did Coach Stools look peaved off?

Originally Posted by majsooner View Post
    Go back and watch DeDe's PR TD vs. KU. Is it just me or did Coach Stools look peaved off?
    can only find the return. you have a link?
    The following users like this post: soonerduke

This is possibly the most offseasony off season thread ever.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    2 users like Deepfried's post: RockE, SoonerNow

Originally Posted by majsooner View Post
    I always hated it when Coach Stools got peaved.

Originally Posted by Deepfried View Post

Nah Auburn fan paints dog takes that award. This at least was about OU football.

Originally Posted by soonerson View Post
    Regarding special teams, I hope Lincoln has a better grasp of when and when not to try a FG.
    This season, over 30 yards? Don't.
    2 users like the_edge's post: BozTheGreat&Powerful, TheJaffe

I think most of this was a cautionary move by Bob Stoops. In his mind, it is safer to put a guy out there who can catch the kick....first and foremost, and not fumble. Even if we start at our own 10 yard line, that's better than a turnover. In some ways, this is the thought process of a seasoned, mature coach. I don't think Riley will operate this way at all.
    The following users like this post: RockE

Originally Posted by the_edge View Post
    This season, over 30 yards? Don't.
    In all seriousness if it's over 40 for the love of all that's Sooner, just go for it. I actually think he will too.

Originally Posted by Mazeppa View Post
    I always hated it when Coach Stools got peaved.
    Darn autocorrect! Go to the 58 second mark of Holakyle's highlight video. He even throws the headset on shoulder.
    The following users like this post: Mazeppa

You ****s will just cry about when they have a starter returning punts and they get hurt....

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    You ****s will just cry about when they have a starter returning punts and they get hurt....
    I'll only complain if they have one of our top 2 rb's returning em. we have so much speed at other spots for once that we can have a true ST return man.
    2 users like RockE's post: SoonerNow, TheJaffe

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    I'll only complain if they have one of our top 2 rb's returning em. we have so much speed at other spots for once that we can have a true ST return man.
    There is a reason your best players on the field for special teams...
    The following users like this post: tennsooner

Originally Posted by Breadburner View Post
    There is a reason your best players on the field for special teams...
    not when we fair catch punts and settle for touchbacks.

if we set up returns, sure we need the best player in that position. again, if Rodney Anderson is back there and gets hurt on a return, I'll complain.
    2 users like RockE's post: Hammer2Bones, TheJaffe

if we set up returns, sure we need the best player in that position. again, if Rodney Anderson is back there and gets hurt on a return, I'll complain.
    Thing is though as you alluded, we have multiple players to man that position.

Let Brown try PRs. Anderson should be a great KR, but chance of injury may be to great.

Originally Posted by Bustarime View Post
    I think most of this was a cautionary move by Bob Stoops. In his mind, it is safer to put a guy out there who can catch the kick....first and foremost, and not fumble. Even if we start at our own 10 yard line, that's better than a turnover. In some ways, this is the thought process of a seasoned, mature coach. I don't think Riley will operate this way at all.
    Agree. But that thought process birthed a lazy punt return team that gives up 30 yard catches to linemen.
    2 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: Bustarime, tcrb

Since OU has gone into a "fair catch" mode on PRs, have there been any turnovers on fumbled catches? I. E. has safety 1st paid off?
    Back up several years and PRs were a serious weapon in the OU arsenal of attack.
    2 users like 61sooner's post: CrimsonHeaven, JW3K

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Since OU has gone into a "fair catch" mode on PRs, have there been any turnovers on fumbled catches? I. E. has safety 1st paid off?
    Back up several years and PRs were a serious weapon in the OU arsenal of attack.
    I'm Antonio Perkins, and I approve of this message.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Impossible to tell because it isn't just turnovers. You can't judge the result of the strategy simply by saying 'no TOs in fair catch mode'. 10-12 yards could result in a FG or TD that otherwise turned into a punt back. As I mentioned above, it dang sure resulted in a successful, game changing fake punt by Clemson.

It would fire me up to no end when Shep is standing back there with 6-7 defenders around him ready to pounce on a muff. Where did the other 10 OU players go? They jogged straight to the sideline after standing on the field for 3 seconds with the ball still in the air. 1999 Stoops would have kicked 2015 Stoops square in the ass while calling him a ****.
    6 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: JW3K, odin's beard, RockE, SixBean, SplitTD, tennsooner

Our kicking game, judging from last year, needs work on both sides of the ball. Remember the "Kick-6" against Houston? Our kicking team just stood and watched the receiver catch the ball and take off. He was gone before anyone bothered to move and give chase. Unacceptable.

Originally Posted by TheJaffe View Post
    I'm confused.

I thought you catch the punt and drop to one knee?

You mean, you can run it back?

FUBS!

If we're fair catching, what's the risk?

Originally Posted by MI Sooner View Post
    If we're fair catching, what's the risk?
    cheap shots like what happened to Mixon?

my point is if we do return punts, I'd hope it wouldn't be a guy that is so integral in the running/passing game. if we have 2 clear cut starters then people would complain if one of them got injured doing something silly on returns. I wouldn't blame em.

my point is if we do return punts, I'd hope it wouldn't be a guy that is so integral in the running/passing game. if we have 2 clear cut starters then people would complain if one of them got injured doing something silly on returns. I wouldn't blame em.
    If the return man doesn't have the skills necessary to be a difference maker you just as well play it safe and fair catch. I for one wish Nebraska would have thought Johnny Rodgers was too valuable as a receiver to return punts,as well as that Oklahoma state guy who broke it off in us on the re kick. I'm personally in favor of playing with your best in what ever position might put you in a position to win and let the chips fall where they may. There is a chance for injury on every play .
    2 users like tennsooner's post: RockE, RockFlagandEagle

I'm thinking Riley is gonna be a gambler and encourage all punts be returned when possible. Just something about being young and bold...
    3 users like mexican/ninja's post: BozTheGreat&Powerful, RockE, tennsooner

....not returning a punt sends the wrong message to the players and fans, a wasted opportunity, what's next, kneeling before you reach the end zone?

SS

Originally Posted by TheBoots View Post
    I'm confused.

I thought you catch the punt and drop to one knee?

You mean, you can run it back?

FUBS!

Originally Posted by South slider View Post
    ....not returning a punt sends the wrong message to the players and fans, a wasted opportunity, what's next, kneeling before you reach the end zone?

SS
    Lmao that kneel gave OSU hope for this year. "You guys only beat us by 18 points".

Originally Posted by mexican/ninja View Post
    I'm thinking Riley is gonna be a gambler and encourage all punts be returned when possible. Just something about being young and bold...
    ----It also depends on who you have returning it and how much time you want to spend on it in practice

Originally Posted by SoonerScribe View Post
    What are these punt returns of which you speak?
    Antonio Perkins says hey

Peterson returned kicks....

Originally Posted by biglynn View Post
    Our kicking game, judging from last year, needs work on both sides of the ball. Remember the "Kick-6" against Houston? Our kicking team just stood and watched the receiver catch the ball and take off. He was gone before anyone bothered to move and give chase. Unacceptable.
    The problem was trying it in the first place! Our kicker struggles with anything beyond 40 and is not cool under pressure. A lot of people think he will inprove if he doesn't have to punt this year. I hope so but frankly don't think he has the mental makeup to be a big time kicker.

Originally Posted by Soonershocker View Post
    The problem was trying it in the first place! Our kicker struggles with anything beyond 40 and is not cool under pressure. A lot of people think he will inprove if he doesn't have to punt this year. I hope so but frankly don't think he has the mental makeup to be a big time kicker.
    Don't forget that wasted timeout that gave Cheeseburger an opportunity to put a guy back there.

Antonio Perkins says "Hey"

Edit...damn soonerschooner beat me to it lol
    Last edited by okie66; July 16th, 2017 at 07:12 AM.

Would someone acknowledge Antonio Perkins already?

Antonio Perkins was pretty good at it.
    The following users like this post: Mississippi Sooner

Hopefully one of the young guys steps up and takes on the PR role. It'd be nice to see that become somewhat of a threat again. I think Jalen Saunders was the last solid one.

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Antonio Perkins was pretty good at it.
    an expert at not waving his hand while looking for blockers to open a hole. then, he ran it as far as he could! I want to see that again now! it's inconceivable!

for real though, I don't care about kickoffs but anyone have an idea who will be our punt returner(s)? its a massive part of the game and we have burners for days but I don't know if we have any sure-handed guys.

AP will alway have the record. I just want to see a player impact the game when needed.
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

People always complain. Might as well not hand off or throw to our best players because they could get hurt. Punt returns are a great chance to get your best players touches in the open field.

Originally Posted by Deepfried View Post

New round these parts?

Originally Posted by CalSOONER View Post
    I'm Antonio Perkins, and I approve of this message.

Easily one of my favorite Sooners of all time. What a stud. We went from having the best special teams in the country to having damn near the worst in a matter of two years.

[QUOTE=REDREX;3418833]

It's one third of the game so you spend a third on it.

[QUOTE=CrimsonHeaven;3419141]
    Originally Posted by REDREX View Post

It's one third of the game so you spend a third on it.
    But it's not 1/3 of the game...unless your team is really bad.