Chris Spielman sues tOSU over in stadium banners

Posted 6 day(s) ago 2006 Views 27 Replies

http://www.dispatch.com/news/2017071...thletes-images

Scholarship contracts are going to look like a phonebook in the next 10 years. Recruits are going to have to have their lawyers sign off on everything before signing day.

I'm with Spielman on this. Ohio State can hang banners for outstanding players but it is wrong to have a car company or another corporate name on the banner. Ohio State makes the money off Spielman's name.

I think that Chris is doing the right thing.
    The following users like this post: MichSooner

Can't really argue with his reasoning.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Originally Posted by article
    Spielman said he would donate any money he might get back to the Ohio State athletic department.
    lol

First world probs
    The following users like this post: BellyOption

Originally Posted by GoonerSooner View Post
    First world probs
    right next to your complaints about dancing asian girls in the recruiting threads, eh? first world problems, indeed
    3 users like RockE's post: Bootlegger'sBoy, Breadburner, meandmybutt

This is probably what the banner looks like:

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    right next to your complaints about dancing asian girls in the recruiting threads, eh? first world problems, indeed
    Degenerates such as yourself can get your pr0n fix elsewhere yet you insist on sullying this once honorable website smh
    The following users like this post: theend

He has a point no university should use a player in commercials like this. Shame on you tOSU.

On a unrelated note, anybody seen the new AT&T sugar bowl commercial?
    5 users like Chicagophoenix's post: Bob, CrimsonOberon, JW3K, LASooner, SA OSO

Degenerates such as yourself can get your pr0n fix elsewhere yet you insist on sullying this once honorable website smh
    oh boy. goon, I haven't sullied shit. I don't even know how to post pics. I like that this site will allow us to be human. when did u have your wiener chopped off? you are the funniest "troll" around but again this should be in 1st wp.
    The following users like this post: meandmybutt

can get your pr0n fix elsewhere yet you insist on sullying this once honorable website smh
    it is a weird form of a circle jerk.

but i think it fits in well with all the avatars of boobs and asses.
    The following users like this post: RockE

Who you calling a boob?

He's not wrong its just going to lead to generic banners - not what he wants tho

Originally Posted by StoopsIsLoose View Post
    He's not wrong its just going to lead to generic banners - not what he wants tho
    ....careful or Boren might sue you for your avatar

SS

Originally Posted by article
    Spielman said he would donate any money he might get back to the Ohio State athletic department.
    So, the real winners are the lawyers? All Spielman won is that he will never show up on tOSU banners again.

Originally Posted by MichSooner View Post
    I'm with Spielman on this. Ohio State can hang banners for outstanding players but it is wrong to have a car company or another corporate name on the banner. Ohio State makes the money off Spielman's name.
    The logical thing to do then is to simply not put up any pictures of any past players in a way that celebrates the history of the program. Those banners aren't free to design and print. They wrap that recognition into a sponsorship in order to get those things paid for. So, pull down the pictures of the Buckeye greats and never put anything up honoring them again. Case closed.

Originally Posted by BellyOption View Post
    The logical thing to do then is to simply not put up any pictures of any past players in a way that celebrates the history of the program. Those banners aren't free to design and print. They wrap that recognition into a sponsorship in order to get those things paid for. So, pull down the pictures of the Buckeye greats and never put anything up honoring them again. Case closed.
    Or a university AD that has revenue of $170M a year could just.....I don't know.....pay for some damned banners itself.
    5 users like Vic Ferrari's post: DakotaXIV, MyT Oklahoma, RockE, Saul Good, SoonerTSS

Is your argument really that Honda paid for the banners, in order to support the players?

You serious Clark?

Yes they cost money. TOSU made money while the big stars played. Current fans attend games and look at them with pride...and continue attending games, paying big money. The OSU can afford nice banners easily.
    The following users like this post: BoomSoon2016

Spielman is 100% in the right about this issue. You slap a corporation sponsorship along with an image, the former athlete should have a right to refuse. Boneheaded move by tOSU athletic department.
    3 users like DelMarSooner's post: CalSOONER, MyT Oklahoma, SoonerTSS

Originally Posted by DelMarSooner View Post
    Spielman is 100% in the right about this issue. You slap a corporation sponsorship along with an image, the former athlete should have a right to refuse. Boneheaded move by tOSU athletic department.
    Exactly. And issues other than just wanting a cut come into play. What if a hypothetical player had family devastated in the 08 crash, and he finds out that he's on a banner advertising JP Morgan/Chase or Wells Fargo, something he would never have agreed to do regardless of getting paid for it or not? Spielman's apparently a very religious guy, and what if he finds himself advertising a company that he objects to on religious grounds? Spielman's right, and I love that he's made it clear that he's not out to make a penny on this and is acting purely out of principle.
    The following users like this post: DelMarSooner

Why am I not surprised that Ohio State is screwing over their former players to make a little more money? Its wrong of course but I am not surprised.

someone from the department could literally go to signs r us and have some banners made for $200 each. the cost of the signs isn't the issue. it's the sponsors getting advertising and tosu getting paid to put his name there while he gets none of the sponsorship cash.

ya know, honor the players that have made the program so profitable on their own dime.
    The following users like this post: MyT Oklahoma

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    someone from the department could literally go to signs r us and have some banners made for $200 each. the cost of the signs isn't the issue. it's the sponsors getting advertising and tosu getting paid to put his name there while he gets none of the sponsorship cash.

ya know, honor the players that have made the program so profitable on their own dime.
    And I guess with Spielman there's a direct link. An article says that he's had a promotional agreement for 20 years with Ohio Mazda dealers and now he's on a Honda banner. That's not right;. Now add that OSU happens to have a massive institutional and research relationship with Honda with whom they jointly operate one of the major auto research facilities in the world and are now going in together on autonomous car tech, and you get why Spielman might be feeling like an unwitting pawn in the whole thing and more than a little pissed at the whole thing. Honestly, I think it really speaks to the dignity of the man and his love for his university that he's even willing to donate any benefits of the suit back to them.
    2 users like Vic Ferrari's post: MyT Oklahoma, RockE

Originally Posted by Vic Ferrari View Post
    And I guess with Spielman there's a direct link. An article says that he's had a promotional agreement for 20 years with Ohio Mazda dealers and now he's on a Honda banner. That's not right;. Now add that OSU happens to have a massive institutional and research relationship with Honda with whom they jointly operate one of the major auto research facilities in the world and are now going in together on autonomous car tech, and you get why Spielman might be feeling like an unwitting pawn in the whole thing and more than a little pissed at the whole thing. Honestly, I think it really speaks to the dignity of the man and his love for his university that he's even willing to donate any benefits of the suit back to them.
    that is some damn fine information. I feel confident saying this is probably an isolated case but Spielman has always been a standup guy and it'll be wise for tosu to make the necessary changes.

It took 11 paragraphs before the article said why he was suing tOSU. This seems to be a growing problem with journalism. A lot of talking and quotes before actually explaining what it's all about.

Originally Posted by traxx View Post
    It took 11 paragraphs before the article said why he was suing tOSU. This seems to be a growing problem with journalism. A lot of talking and quotes before actually explaining what it's all about.
    Got to get people fired up so they will comment before finishing the article. Look what happened here? The truth finally comes out that Spielman is in bed financially with a competitor and he's not on a crusade for the student athlete. Everyone's talking about the football dept made $XXX and they can just make banners themselves. Sure. They can also have zero advertising and watch that dept revenue sink to $X. The advertising is a huge part of the dept revenue.