Niagara Falls visit tips

Posted 70 day(s) ago 1239 Views 33 Replies

Niagara Falls visit tips

Headed up there in a couple days. Yeah, we're going to the Canadian side. In fact, wife and I are staying at a b&b in Canada.

So what are some must-see/do tips from the LT pros? TIA

Originally Posted by ouwasp View Post
    Headed up there in a couple days. Yeah, we're going to the Canadian side. In fact, wife and I are staying at a b&b in Canada.

took my son there for spring break. stayed at a hotel in Ontario overlooking the falls. it's a really beautiful walkin around city but there isn't a whole of to do other than take in the culture and the sights. everything is incredibly expensive so be ready. I ran out of snuff and spent $20 on a can of Copenhagen. have fun.

Rent a car and drive SE until u hit I-95.
    Take 95 south for approximately 20hours until you hit West Palm Beach vicinity.

Just kidding... niagara is cool especially on the Canadian side but outside of Niagara, I didn't find much to do
    The following users like this post: ouwasp

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    took my son there for spring break. stayed at a hotel in Ontario overlooking the falls. it's a really beautiful walkin around city but there isn't a whole of to do other than take in the culture and the sights. everything is incredibly expensive so be ready. I ran out of snuff and spent $20 on a can of Copenhagen. have fun.
    I went 40 years ago and it's most likely the biggest tourist trap I've ever seen.

As far as the Falls go the Maid In The Mist is a must do. We were also able to go in these caves behind the Falls. not sure if you can still do that. The shear power of the water is amazing.
    2 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: ouwasp, RockE

[QUOTE=JBret;3419722]Rent a car and drive SE until u hit I

Never been. Feel free to share the experience.

Maid of the Mist. One of those things you have to see to believe.
    5 users like Snickerfritz's post: BoomSoon2016, Chk, IndySooner, KCRuf/Nek, ouwasp

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    I went 40 years ago and it's most likely the biggest tourist trap I've ever seen.

As far as the Falls go the Maid In The Mist is a must do. We were also able to go in these caves behind the Falls. not sure if you can still do that. The shear power of the water is amazing.
    it's still very much a tourist trap but I came prepared with food and drinks and what not. there is a huge indoor water park at the hotel we stayed in so that pretty much kept my son busy all day. I was able to keep an eye on him from the bar area. that was nice. overall I really liked it there. cool place to spend a few days.
    2 users like RockE's post: KCRuf/Nek, ouwasp

Don't go. Go to Toronto instead. Tacky town, not much to do, I was ready to leave literally 20 minutes after we arrived. I assume going on the Maid of the Mist would have been cool, but that wasn't in the cards.
    The following users like this post: IndySooner

Test your mother ****ing Barrel first....!!!!!
    3 users like Breadburner's post: KCRuf/Nek, Mississippi Sooner, Pokoloco

The historical Love Canal, located in Niagara Falls, New York.
    The following users like this post: Keef

Originally Posted by RockE View Post
    it's still very much a tourist trap but I came prepared with food and drinks and what not. there is a huge indoor water park at the hotel we stayed in so that pretty much kept my son busy all day. I was able to keep an eye on him from the bar area. that was nice. overall I really liked it there. cool place to spend a few days.
    Excellence in parenting! Good job, dad.
    4 users like Mjcpr's post: KCRuf/Nek, Mballard85, OUDoc, Stinger_1066

Canada during the day, American side at night. Go to Tim Horton's 14 times, do all the touristy stuff, especially Maid of the Mist.

Went there around 15 years ago. The American side was a total dump. A wasteland in reality.

Do not take the barrel ride. It's cheap, but a bit rough.
    2 users like meandmybutt's post: 1stTimeCaller, ouwasp

Niagara Canada has a "tourist tax" that you can get waved if you ask for it to be waved. They might **** at you about it, but it's not a mandatory thing. The fee is often found at the bottom of someone's bill underneath the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST) and it may be called a Tourism Improvement Fee (TIF), Attractions and Promotions Fee (APF), Niagara Falls Destination Fee (NFDF) or Destination Productivity Fee (DPF).

That investigation found that many hotels, restaurants and attractions in Niagara Falls were charging customers the fee without telling them it's voluntary and that there's no third party collecting the money and monitoring how it's spent.
    3 users like dallasstars10's post: KCRuf/Nek, ouwasp, the-rover

If you have the time (and a car) I highly recomend driving about an hour or two South to Watkins Glen State Park. It's incredibly beautiful and looks like something out of New Zealand

The one time I've been we drove through Sault Ste. Marie Michigan and then along the border on the Canadian side to Toronto. And then to Niagara. The whole trip was a blast and I thought seeing the Soo Locks in action was awesome. The drive along the border was an extremely long stretch of beautiful green and empty country. By comparison once we reached Toronto it felt like there were billions of people everywhere. The falls were great and definitely worth seeing once but the Canadian side is much cleaner and nicer.

Out of Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls, I enjoyed Niagara Falls much more. Very beautiful place. I didn't find lunch and dinner to be overly priced. Ate lunch at Hard Rock, can't remember where dinner was. Not the greatest meal, but I don't remember it being a price gauge and paying $40 for a large pizza like I did at the Grand Canyon. Definitely looked like more fun on the Canada side though.

Originally Posted by S00nerJay View Post
    Out of Grand Canyon and Niagara Falls, I enjoyed Niagara Falls much more. Very beautiful place. I didn't find lunch and dinner to be overly priced. Ate lunch at Hard Rock, can't remember where dinner was. Not the greatest meal, but I don't remember it being a price gauge and paying $40 for a large pizza like I did at the Grand Canyon. Definitely looked like more fun on the Canada side though.
    GC > NF. We packed our lunches at the GC. $40? someone saw you coming.

Niagra on the Lake.

Niagra Falls is a horrible tourist trap. The falls are amazing, but the rest of it is a shit hole.

There's a cool War of 1812 fort outside of Niagra on the Lake. My son loved it.

Also, the wine region there is really good. Some of the best wine we've had at Jackson-Triggs.

I went in March. A road trip from Akron with a bunch of foriegners. The Falls were a frozen chunk of ice.

It was cold.

In hindsight, I wish we would have skipped the falls altogether and spent more time on Mackinac Island. Enjoyed the boat ride across and the island was awesome. Touring Fort Mackinac was fun too.

The American side is so pretty at night with the water all lit up. I liked wandering around the park, too. I'm not cool enough to be as jaded as the rest of you.

Originally Posted by cfin5256 View Post
    In hindsight, I wish we would have skipped the falls altogether and spent more time on Mackinac Island. Enjoyed the boat ride across and the island was awesome. Touring Fort Mackinac was fun too.
    Ironic...we were planning to go to Mackinac, but I got a passport in anticipation of an overseas trip next summer...So we decided on Niagara. We came up through Ohio to take advantage of some antique shopping. We'll still do Mackinac Island at some point during an Oklahoma July. I've been there before, the weather is glorious in the summer.
    2 users like ouwasp's post: cfin5256, Petro-Sooner

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    GC > NF. We packed our lunches at the GC. $40? someone saw you coming.
    Was on the south end. Was one of two restaurants. Town was the only one within 30 miles. Hotels were also $250 on up. NF has nothing on this shit town.

A few years later, took the sky bridge on the west side of GC. Was like $30 for gf and I to enter to "park" and another $40 to walk on the sky bridge.

By the way, cfin5256, you need to go to the Ohio islands in Lake Erie some summer. Put-in Bay is a nice 15 minute boat ride out from Sandusky. There's a small group of islands, some golf courses, cafes/bars, War of 1812 monuments, great temps...
    The following users like this post: cfin5256

Originally Posted by S00nerJay View Post
    Was on the south end. Was one of two restaurants. Town was the only one within 30 miles. Hotels were also $250 on up. NF has nothing on this shit town.

A few years later, took the sky bridge on the west side of GC. Was like $30 for gf and I to enter to "park" and another $40 to walk on the sky bridge.
    Blame the ****s for the sky walk. We stayed in Flagstaff and drove the hour to the GC.

Originally Posted by cfin5256 View Post
    Meh. I'm 20 minutes from Mackinac right now and I won't go anywhere near that tourist trap this week.

Originally Posted by IndySooner View Post
    Niagra on the Lake.

Niagra Falls is a horrible tourist trap. The falls are amazing, but the rest of it is a shit hole.

There's a cool War of 1812 fort outside of Niagra on the Lake. My son loved it.

Also, the wine region there is really good. Some of the best wine we've had at Jackson-Triggs.
    Loved Niagra on the Lake. Be sure and try some ice wine too. It's what wine should taste like to a non wine drinker. Have only been to the Canadian side but we had a good time.

Originally Posted by kingswitz View Post
    Loved Niagra on the Lake. Be sure and try some ice wine too. It's what wine should taste like to a non wine drinker. Have only been to the Canadian side but we had a good time.
    I didn't like the ice wine. Too sweet. I suppose that's the point, though.

Ironically, we are with my family right now and my wife and sister are planning a trip there again next year for my parents' 45th anniversary. We will stay at Niagara on the Lake this time instead of in Niagara Falls.

I didn't like the ice wine. Too sweet. I suppose that's the point, though.

Ironically, we are with my family right now and my wife and sister are planning a trip there again next year for my parents' 45th anniversary. We will stay at Niagara on the Lake this time instead of in Niagara Falls.
    Exactly the point. It tastes like Welch's g**** juice. lol Wine tastes like ass to me. Even though ice wine is an aperitif and not something you drink several glasses of, I like how it tastes.
    The following users like this post: IndySooner

Don't fall in? Seems like as good a tip as any.

Meh. I'm 20 minutes from Mackinac right now and I won't go anywhere near that tourist trap this week.
    I was there for 1 day. It's possible my recommendation was influenced from wishing that I'd had more than one day to spend there. Of course I didn't waste money on the overpriced souvenirs and bike rentals so that might have helped as well. I still think my favorite part of the whole trip was the locks. Very very cool watching how they operate.
    2 users like cfin5256's post: IndySooner, ouwasp

Had a fine time at NF. We went last night when we arrived to watch the fireworks over the falls and get a feel for parking. Went early this morning to get a prime parking spot. On the Canadian side the boat trip to the falls is now called Voyage to the Falls. Still Maid in the Mist on the USA side. Magnificent. Bought an all-day bus pass, went to Niagara-on-the-lake. Great little trip, we saw Lake Ontario and did some shopping. Wanted to try the ice wine, but it seemed pretty pricey for something I wasn't sure I'd like...So I settled for a Guinness. Looked around a little more, saw the real cheesy tourist trap crap <shrug>, not for me, but those there seemed to be having a good time. Ate some terrific ice cream as we watched the falls for a bit longer. Caught a bus back to parking and just finished some leftover pizza from the Boat Dock last night. Pepperoni and mushroom...mucho bueno.

Today's weather was perfect. In the 80s and partly cloudy. The crowds weren't too big, and folks were friendly. I've never been around so many French speakers in my life. Are black folks in Canada labeled African-Canadian?

I would recommend the NF experience for others. Thanks to all that offered input, pro and con.
    2 users like ouwasp's post: IndySooner, JBret