The Open Week

Posted 125 day(s) ago 5976 Views 105 Replies
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

The Open Week

Anxious to see what this year's goat track looks like and what type of winter weather will roll in.
    The following users like this post: Fugue

I think its smart to play the European tour tourney the week before

Originally Posted by barlowd View Post
    I think its smart to play the European tour tourney the week before
    Two weeks even better. Scottish Open last week, then several played the Irish open week before.
    The following users like this post: ChocoLab

Ok my top 5, one of which will win at Royal Birkdale:

1. Hideki Matsuyama
    2. Jon Rahm
    3. Jordan Spieth
    4. Justin Rose
    5. Alex Noren

Outside chance: DJ, Daniel Berger, Sergio, Tyrrell Hatton, Shane Lowry, Lee Westwood

My Master's pick won, Matsuyama tied for second at the US Open, otherwise my picks sucked. I feel like the winner will be one of these five...

got back from vacation (oregon coast) just in time for my favorite sports event (outside watching my sooners).

tv is golf channel/nbc and starts at 12:30 tonight, central time.

get the coffee ready and stay up late!
    2 users like blackfrancois's post: ab5sr, Morningwood

Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    got back from vacation (oregon coast) just in time for my favorite sports event (outside watching my sooners).

"coffee" that what the kids are calling it these days?

I still can't say "the open." It's the motherfucking "British Open." This whole "open" shit started what? last year? Year before maybe? The first person who was born after 1980 and goes "it's been "the open" since Rodney Dangerfield popped a keg on the front 9" will get ceremoniously disemboweled. I've been watching/playing golf all my life, and the whole "the open" thing is newer than millennial peach fuzz.
    The following users like this post: SoonerVikeThunder

1. Fowler
    2. Fleetwood
    3. Spieth
    4. Berger
    5. Koepka
    The following users like this post: ab5sr

Originally Posted by Slytherin View Post
    "coffee" that what the kids are calling it these days?
    yes.

but coffee always goes better with a bite of hash brownie ... and the open championship on the tele.
    The following users like this post: Uncle Mo

'Midnight Drive' starts in 30

They have to pound these putts.

I see Todd Hamilton is playing again this year. Previous starts this year 0, and money $0. I think he just goes to party...
    The following users like this post: RockFlagandEagle

Does anyone like Nick Faldo besides Nick Faldo?

Naa he's a dick, and when he verbally assaulted Jack at the Memorial I sort of lost respect for him.

I like Frank Nobilo. Solid dude.
    2 users like ab5sr's post: KCRuf/Nek, RockFlagandEagle

Spieth. Man such a clean round. Off the tee he was better than I've seen him in awhile, and his scrambling was really good. Decision making superb. He's going to be tough to beat out there.

Two short birdie misses as well...
    Last edited by ab5sr; July 20th, 2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: forgot

Need our resident golf enthusiasts to weigh in on this. I'm all for the outift that was banned but only if worn by the right people.

Is Outift Too Sexy?

Originally Posted by RockFlagandEagle View Post
    Need our resident golf enthusiasts to weigh in on this. I'm all for the outift that was banned but only if worn by the right people.

Is Outift Too Sexy?
    Womens golf needs whatever it can get to gin up interest. Playing in bikinis could only help.

But I didn't watch with sound... is the girl in that video the 'professional' golfer whose not really an LPGA golfer, but looks damn good brandishing a golf club in her skimpy outfits?

Originally Posted by Morningwood View Post
    Womens golf needs whatever it can get to gin up interest. Playing in bikinis could only help.

But I didn't watch with sound... is the girl in that video the 'professional' golfer whose not really an LPGA golfer, but looks damn good brandishing a golf club in her skimpy outfits?
    I believe so.
    The following users like this post: Morningwood

Dammit....looks like we get to watch Charlie Seymore Hoffman's teeth play golf all weekend.
    3 users like RockFlagandEagle's post: ab5sr, Hogarita, Morningwood

Dammit....looks like we get to watch Charlie Seymore Hoffman's teeth play golf all weekend.
    He'll fall back, always does. Hoffman seems to surge in a bit tournament then crap out over four days. I think he's a decent golfer...enjoyed the hole-out...not elite of the elite tho of course.

After some Yahoo! searches, I have confirmed it is her.

Is that the one doing all the tricks with her college teammates? If so who cares if she can play.

I grew up watching Laura Baugh and Jan Stephensen. The LPGA has too many chunkys and not enough hotties.

Bubba with the yellow ball? Takes me back to the early 80's playing titlist X outs on my local muni.

Originally Posted by KCRuf/Nek View Post
    Bubba with the yellow ball? Takes me back to the early 80's playing titlist X outs on my local muni.
    He plays a pink one too. Volvik is a new sponsor of his this year.

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    He plays a pink one too. Volvik is a new sponsor of his this year.
    I can't remember seeing anyone play a colored ball. I guess it doesn't matter.

After some Yahoo! searches, I have confirmed it is her.
    Yeah I mean don't get me wrong... I'll watch her try to swing a club all day as long as she looks that good doing it

I can't remember seeing anyone play a colored ball. I guess it doesn't matter.
    Me neither on the PGA tour. Lots of ladies use Volvik
    The following users like this post: KCRuf/Nek

Yeah I mean don't get me wrong... I'll watch her try to swing a club all day as long as she looks that good doing it
    This one?

yeah lol I think that's her KC

I saw an article and video about her a while back. She seems nice.

Is the Bones on the telecast Phil's Bones?

Is the Bones on the telecast Phil's Bones?
    Yep, they parted ways and he's an on course commentator now. I think this is his first event.

Originally Posted by Mjcpr View Post
    Yep, they parted ways and he's an on course commentator now. I think this is his first event.
    I knew that. I believe they split after the TPC. Remember the disagreement they had on 17? That was epic.

He seems to do well. If anyone would know what and how to play it would be him.

Originally Posted by ab5sr View Post
    I see Todd Hamilton is playing again this year. Previous starts this year 0, and money $0. I think he just goes to party...
    if invited to the open as a past champ (like david duval, john daly) don't they feel a kind of -- what's the word -- obligation or duty to tee it up in the greatest tournament in the world?

Originally Posted by open exemptions
    All previous Open Champions who will be age 60 or under on the final day of the tournament are exempt.
    so the exemption limitation is between the masters (lifetime) and the u.s. open (10 years).

past champ mark o'meara also finds himself at the bottom of the leaderboard. and at age 60, this will be his last. he made the cut 3 of the last 4 years. but given the honor of playing first today, his tee shot went o.b. -- an omen on the way to posting an embarrassing 81.

in his defense, the weather was awful at 6:30am. he said, "my day was toast, and most people still hadn’t had their breakfast."

it wasn't that long ago that tom watson at age 59 finished 2nd. i was never a huge fan, but i miss seeing him out there. he will be remembered as the greatest links player of all time.

The new LPGA dress code is beyond stupid. If that chubby/fat chinese girl Feng can wear a cow print outfit and that's OK, why can't the sleeker ones wear something nice.

It's not thongs and bras. They are covered up, so what. Look at female tennis players, not much uproar over the clothing in that arena.
    The following users like this post: Stinger_1066

if invited to the open as a past champ (like david duval, john daly) don't they feel a kind of -- what's the word -- obligation or duty to tee it up in the greatest tournament in the world?

so the exemption limitation is between the masters (lifetime) and the u.s. open (10 years).

past champ mark o'meara also finds himself at the bottom of the leaderboard. and at age 60, this will be his last. he made the cut 3 of the last 4 years. but given the honor of playing first today, his tee shot went o.b. -- an omen on the way to posting an embarrassing 81.

in his defense, the weather was awful at 6:30am. he said, "my day was toast, and most people still hadn’t had their breakfast."

it wasn't that long ago that tom watson at age 59 finished 2nd. i was never a huge fan, but i miss seeing him out there. he will be remembered as the greatest links player of all time.
    Oh I guess so. At some point a golfer will say goodbye and stop playing...Tom Watson first comes to mind. Daily is just starting his sr career and won his first Champions event this year. Hamilton is neither playing much and very competitive. Obligation or duty? Sure.

I see him every once in awhile at the range, he lives in the area. Maybe I'll ask him one day.

Oh and Duval...love the dude. Nobody gets his hips around like he does, love watching him hit the ball! i see he shot +9 today

Is that Phil in the booth?

kuchar just took the sole lead at -6.

rory has the best round of the day going (-3).

most on the first page haven't yet teed off.

leaderboard

kuchar just took the sole lead at -6.

rory has the best round of the day going (-3).

most on the first page haven't yet teed off.

leaderboard
    I'm ready for this second group. Rory just lost a couple (or is in the process). Someone is going to shoot a low one this pm amongst a ton of high scores.

This one?

Paige Spiranac can polish the head of my driver anytime she wants.
    2 users like Stinger_1066's post: ab5sr, KCRuf/Nek

They mentioned the old starter...4 decades now retired. I miss him too. Listened to him back when I was a jr. golfer
    The following users like this post: ChocoLab

I'm kinda out of the loop with access today. Is the course playing more difficult?

Originally Posted by Fugue View Post
    I'm kinda out of the loop with access today. Is the course playing more difficult?
    Yes, very windy and rain in the area although I don't think it's raining at Birkdale. Thought I heard someone say average score was 75.

Edit: now raining. Lovely day.

Nasty downpour now. Lovelier yet.

Have they stopped play?

Have they stopped play?
    Play is back on. Maybe the greens will be like dart boards.
    2 users like KCRuf/Nek's post: ab5sr, RockFlagandEagle

Anyone have pxgs? My golf coach says skip em and stick with your titleists.

I guess i'm not good enough to hit them

11 players under par.

I get the whole Open experience but playing golf in the rain like that is ridiculous.

They actually called it for an hour or so with no lightening. Yeah a torrential downpour is a bit much.

Must be nice to be able to watch this shit all day long. Some of us actually work? Is that POS whorn still leading it? If so, I'll just go work some more tomorrow.