Sooner Wrestling 2017-18

Posted 167 day(s) ago by nocalsooner6190 Views 76 Replies
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Results so far this year look like a step backward from last year which was not a good one.
    Perhaps Lou just needs a few years to shake things up, change the culture and clean house from the guys he inherited.

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    it bugs me, OU doesn't wrestling in enough big time tourney's. Midlands are awesome now the Southern Scuffle
    I had the same reaction. Most of the strong programs are competing over the break. Any idea why we basically shut it down for a couple weeks?

Seems like Midlands, Scuffle or even the South Beach duals would have been good experience for the team.

Maybe Lou is pacing them.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Results so far this year look like a step backward from last year which was not a good one.
    Perhaps Lou just needs a few years to shake things up, change the culture and clean house from the guys he inherited.
    Can’t totally disagree, but it is still early. If the team doesn’t show improvement by late January, I will be concerned. Then again, we have some stud young guys, including redshirts. Next year is the first year I would truly expect to see some big steps forward. Even more so the following year.
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Sadly there seems to be so few OU fans interested in the wrestling program. When I was at OU 57-61 attendance at wrestling approached that of basketball.
    Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all you die in the wool OU rassling fans and let's hope out there somewhere a future Danny Hodge, Dale Lewis, Stan Able, Schultz brothers, Wayne Baughman etc on the horizon to revive our once glorious program.

I'm not too concerned with the holiday shutdown. I believe Ohio State didn't compete in the Midlands, Scuffle or South Beach duals either. Okla. State only sent some 2nd-teamers to the Scuffle.

I won't be totally surprised if we end up about the same as last year or maybe a little worse. I think we will be very strong in the next few years but this year may still be tough. Not a good sign when you start true freshman at 184 and Heavyweight (although I think both those guys have a bright future, you normally don't see true freshman have much success at the upper weights).

I think Moody and Mejias have a good shot at AA. Maybe Longo and Jeffries too if they wrestle more consistently. Rosselli's first recruiting class have done pretty well in the open tournaments this year and I think they have been pushing the upperclassmen. This year's recruiting class also has some highly ranked guys. I think the future is bright for Sooner Wrestling.

I love watching Sooner Wrestling and think it will be fun to see their improvement this season.

Originally Posted by 93Sooner View Post
    I'm not too concerned with the holiday shutdown. I believe Ohio State didn't compete in the Midlands, Scuffle or South Beach duals either. Okla. State only sent some 2nd-teamers to the Scuffle.

I won't be totally surprised if we end up about the same as last year or maybe a little worse. I think we will be very strong in the next few years but this year may still be tough. Not a good sign when you start true freshman at 184 and Heavyweight (although I think both those guys have a bright future, you normally don't see true freshman have much success at the upper weights).

I think Moody and Mejias have a good shot at AA. Maybe Longo and Jeffries too if they wrestle more consistently. Rosselli's first recruiting class have done pretty well in the open tournaments this year and I think they have been pushing the upperclassmen. This year's recruiting class also has some highly ranked guys. I think the future is bright for Sooner Wrestling.

I love watching Sooner Wrestling and think it will be fun to see their improvement this season.
    Normally Osu took off from tourneys this weekend because of this Italy trip and finances

Sadly there seems to be so few OU fans interested in the wrestling program. When I was at OU 57-61 attendance at wrestling approached that of basketball.
    Anyway, HAPPY NEW YEAR to all you die in the wool OU rassling fans and let's hope out there somewhere a future Danny Hodge, Dale Lewis, Stan Able, Schultz brothers, Wayne Baughman etc on the horizon to revive our once glorious program.
    I know the thread isn't about this topic but I can remember even in the 'late 70s there would be 7-9000 for duels with OSU, Iowa, Iowa State and whoever else was highly ranked that was coming to Norman. Most of the top wrestlers were household names among sports fans in Oklahoma.

Both nationally and locally things began to change when basketball enlarge the tourney circa 1979 and then got the larger television packages in the early '80s. By the time Wayman got here wrestling started becoming an afterthought both locally and nationally (with Ewing, Michael Jordan, Sampson and those guys). Wrestling just couldn't compete with all the exposure basketball was getting. Then in the mid '90s women's basketball pretty much took wrestling off the radar completely.

However, one of the most incredible sports memories I have was listening to the radio call when Washington's Larry Owings beat Dan Gable from ISU in Gable's final colliegiate match. Gable had never lost a match in high school or college.
    3 users like Yuck Fu's post: H82Lose, NYSoonerFan, SoonerNow

To your point, this winter will be all about Trae Young at OU, and for good reason. That is a great show.

If Lou can get this program turned around in the next couple years, and compete head up with OK State, I am hopeful the administration will support and promote the program. OK State seems to draw nice crowds, especially for their big duals. They have also gotten most of the top in state talent (although we have some strong guys coming on). Unfortunately, our program just isn’t anywhere close to them right now.

I live far away and it isn’t really feasible for me to attend events on campus. I do watch almost every one of our duals and tournaments online, etc. Fans are out there. The program just has to get itself to a place that gives fans a reason to show up. Fingers crossed...

Originally Posted by NYSoonerFan View Post
    To your point, this winter will be all about Trae Young at OU, and for good reason. That is a great show.

If Lou can get this program turned around in the next couple years, and compete head up with OK State, I am hopeful the administration will support and promote the program. OK State seems to draw nice crowds, especially for their big duals. They have also gotten most of the top in state talent (although we have some strong guys coming on). Unfortunately, our program just isn’t anywhere close to them right now.

I live far away and it isn’t really feasible for me to attend events on campus. I do watch almost every one of our duals and tournaments online, etc. Fans are out there. The program just has to get itself to a place that gives fans a reason to show up. Fingers crossed...
    I also think Lou can eventually get us competitive with Okla. State. I look forward to the day that McCasland is too small to host wrestling and go back to the Lloyd Noble Center like when I watched as a
    kid. Maybe I'm looking at this with crimson-colored glasses, but when I see Penn St and Iowa wrestling in front of a packed house, I think that we could eventually get to that point in a few years.

Having said all that, we look pretty bad last night. The lower weights didn't wrestle with much energy. 157 and up looked better but I didn't think we would lose to West Virginia. I thought it would be a closer match than the last 2 years but not a loss. Hopefully we will look better at Pitt on Sunday.

I agree. We looked terrible last night. Tough having Moody get caught in a cradle to start things off. I’m hoping Longo was just sick, because he looked so gassed I wasn’t sure he would finish the match.

Tough start to Big 12. WVU gets their second ever Big 12 Dual win.

Oh well. Trust the process...

Wow. Another terrible showing. Lost to Pitt. This team is in a bad place right now. Hard to watch.

Originally Posted by Yuck Fu View Post

However, one of the most incredible sports memories I have was listening to the radio call when Washington's Larry Owings beat Dan Gable from ISU in Gable's final colliegiate match. Gable had never lost a match in high school or college.
    I was so lucky to have seen that match in person, March 1970. I was living in Chicago when that NCAA tourney occurred at Northwestern's fieldhouse. The crowd gave Owings a very long standing O, and then one even longer for Gable, due to his fantastic overall record, and in my mind, also for the great contribution he made to the sport of amateur wrestling.

Wow. Another terrible showing. Lost to Pitt. This team is in a bad place right now. Hard to watch.
    It is definitely hard to watch. They at least wrestled a little harder this time compared to Thursday night. I can't believe that Longo gave up 6 points in the last :20. I though he had it won. Jeffries looked ok but not an AA performance. Barnes and Mejias looked pretty good. I did read on Intermat last week that Marquise Overton will wrestle HVY for OU now that football is (sadly) over. I don't know how much skill he will bring since he hasn't wrestled in a few years but I don't think he will get manhandled like we are getting now. Maybe they can get a few things turned around for the Virginia Duals.

There must be a real lack of depth at a lot of weights if those not wrestling in duals can't win a challenge during the week to replace what goes by as 1st team on this roster. If there wasn't a 6 point forfeit against Pitt, the score might have been must worse.
    Lucky in SOCAL we have Big 10 network free on our cable package and get to see plenty of good dual meets weekly.
    At Rutgers today they had over 5,000 in attendance against Ohio State.

Does anyone know what happened to Dalton Duffield? I hadn’t been paying attention, and I just realized he is no longer listed on the roster. Couldn’t find anything re transfer, etc with a google search.

He was a bit undersized, but had some talent.

Does anyone know what happened to Dalton Duffield? I hadn’t been paying attention, and I just realized he is no longer listed on the roster. Couldn’t find anything re transfer, etc with a google search.

I didn't even notice that he wasn't on the roster any more. With his talent, I'd think he'd be a valued transfer if he decided to leave OU.

Hope Overton gets some mat time this weekend. He can't be any worse than what OU has been putting out at 285 so far this year.

Hope Overton gets some mat time this weekend. He can't be any worse than what OU has been putting out at 285 so far this year.
    I was hoping he would get on the mat this weekend, too. Unfortunately, he lost 9-4 against Bucknell in his only match. He's probably a little rusty since has hasn't wrestled in a few years. Hopefully he will get more opportunities. Especially against big HVY's. Webb just isn't big enough to handle the bigger HVY's not to mention he is only a true freshman.

At least the guys went 3-0 today. No. 9 Virginia Tech tomorrow will be tough.
    The following users like this post: northspeter

I thought Moody might have a chance to AA this year, but the way things are shaking out, it is going to be really tough for him. 125 might be one of the most loaded weights this year at the NCAA's. NATO destroyed Lizak last night

Moody got the only win against tech.. Didn't see mejias in the results..?

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

Smoked by UNI to finish 4th... No mejias at all today, injury or something else..?

Saw that Overton lost twice. Scored some points. Any idea if he had any takedowns or must of his score based on escapes/letups?

Saw that Overton lost twice. Scored some points. Any idea if he had any takedowns or must of his score based on escapes/letups?
    I watched the live stats and I don't remember him getting a take down in either match.

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    I thought Moody might have a chance to AA this year, but the way things are shaking out, it is going to be really tough for him. 125 might be one of the most loaded weights this year at the NCAA's. NATO destroyed Lizak last night
    I was with you. Loved the way Moody competed early in the year. Hopefully he gets it going and makes the needed improvements, but 125 is a buzzsaw this year. And it likely doesn’t get any easier next year.

I’m very worried about Longo. He looked great at the start of the season. He can’t seem beat anyone at the moment, and it looked like his motor was giving out the last time I saw him wrestle. Holding out hope he figures it out.

Somewhat disappointing season so far, but there is time for guys to improve.
    The following users like this post: H82Lose

I was with you. Loved the way Moody competed early in the year. Hopefully he gets it going and makes the needed improvements, but 125 is a buzzsaw this year. And it likely doesn’t get any easier next year.

I’m very worried about Longo. He looked great at the start of the season. He can’t seem beat anyone at the moment, and it looked like his motor was giving out the last time I saw him wrestle. Holding out hope he figures it out.

Somewhat disappointing season so far, but there is time for guys to improve.
    I'm also concerned about Moody, Longo, and I'll add Jeffries to that list. Moody is good but 125 is stacked. Longo and Jeffries haven't looked good recently. Still about a month or so before the Big 12 Tournament but they are running out of time.

This may be our "bottom out" year but hopefully gets better from here.
    The following users like this post: H82Lose

I stumbled onto his new bio at UCO. Will sit out this season. I also noticed Sam Hazewinkel is an assistant coach over there, which would be a good attraction for small guys interested in freestyle or Greco Roman.

http://www.bronchosports.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=8657

Joel Dixon transferred over there last year, sat out, and will compete for starting slot this year.

Que Overton got his first W today.. Pretty grueling match against a decent opponent. It went to 2, 1minute sudden victory OT's & & 4 30second ot's..

Also apparently mejias has/had a hand injury, that's why he hadn't competed recently but did today & got a W...

2 users like northspeter's post: 61sooner, nocalsooner