Sooner Wrestling 2017-18

Posted 125 day(s) ago 2652 Views 37 Replies

Sooner Wrestling 2017-18

The 2017-18 schedule is up. First time I can recall from all my years of fandom, that we aren't wrestling a home-and-home series against OSU. The schedule shows only one match vs. OSU (in Stillwater). Maybe for the best.

The tournaments in the fall look interesting. But sorry there's no west coast swing to California this year.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211660613

Nice to see more schools added to Big 12 Wrestling especially Northern Iowa.

Originally Posted by nocalsooner View Post
    The 2017-18 schedule is up. First time I can recall from all my years of fandom, that we aren't wrestling a home-and-home series against OSU. The schedule shows only one match vs. OSU (in Stillwater). Maybe for the best.

The tournaments in the fall look interesting. But sorry there's no west coast swing to California this year.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=211660613

wow that is crazy! I wonder why???

Very excited for this season, but I haven’t seen any big recruiting announcements. Last year Lou went on a run and landed some top guys.

I don’t see OU listed on many of the top guy's school lists (at least the ones Flo posts). Are we getting shutout so far this year—or is it still too early?

Originally Posted by NYSoonerFan View Post
    Very excited for this season, but I haven’t seen any big recruiting announcements. Last year Lou went on a run and landed some top guys.

I don’t see OU listed on many of the top guy's school lists (at least the ones Flo posts). Are we getting shutout so far this year—or is it still too early?
    We got a tough 133lber coming in. Trust me, with Guerro coming over and working that part of wrestling, OU is only going to get better. We will not be a Penn St, Iowa, OSU or TOSU...but I do believe we can end up competing with your Michigan's etc. Where you see Chris Bono making a move, OU will move ahead of teams like that in my opinion. We will start getting some AA's as well. But it takes time, this program was in BAD SHAPE, very bad shape.

I am very high on what Lou is bringing to the program. If we can hang onto him, I believe he can make us a top 10 (maybe even a top 5) program again in a few years.

What I was asking about was whether he is having the recruiting success this fall that he had last fall. I was very impressed with the class he put together last fall, especially given the late start he got.

I am very high on what Lou is bringing to the program. If we can hang onto him, I believe he can make us a top 10 (maybe even a top 5) program again in a few years.

What I was asking about was whether he is having the recruiting success this fall that he had last fall. I was very impressed with the class he put together last fall, especially given the late start he got.

dude I don't want to be a dick and run you off, lord knows there are not that many of us wrestling fans around, but you can google this shit. We got Tommy Hoskins Ohio kid, ****ing stud. 125 or 133 but I think he will end up 133. Anthony Madrigal IL kid, 133 or 141 but I see him at 41. Both these kids were recruited by all. So, yes he is chipping away at getting legit kids in here. He will not leave, I don't think
    The following users like this post: northspeter

Ha. Don’t worry, you won’t run me off.

Appreciate the perspective. I try to follow the sport fairly closely, and was simply asking because Flo doesn’t have us ranked at all (so far) in terms of this year's recruiting class, and they had us ranked fairly high last year. Was just looking for info from someone closer to the situation.

Thanks.

Ha. Don’t worry, you won’t run me off.

Appreciate the perspective. I try to follow the sport fairly closely, and was simply asking because Flo doesn’t have us ranked at all (so far) in terms of this year's recruiting class, and they had us ranked fairly high last year. Was just looking for info from someone closer to the situation.

Thanks.

here is what I am looking for. Landing that 1-2 kids that can make an impact. I think Lou knows he is not competing with your PSU's, OSU's, TOSU's Iowa's right now, but if you can sneak 1 or 2 kids and start building the foundation, you got something and then start landing 4-5 studs. Hunter Steiber is helping with recruiting, but the big kicker is Logan is working out a lot in the room. How appealing is that to a kid? come here and get some go's with LS? PLUS Snyder is spending a lot of time around there as well. How big is that? Besides Burroughs, prolly the biggest name in wrestling. Both those guys are close with Lou and want to help him succeed. I am telling you, we got the real deal now. My worry, is a big name school snatching him up. He is a game changer. He has this traning center going now and that is attracting them from all over. Him taking Guerro (not a fan at all) from John Smith helped as well. Mark my words, in 3 years we will be in the area of the second tier wrestling programs, and that is perfectly ok. I don't know if we will ever be in the same place as PSU and Iowa OSU...etc

Yes—I think your vision is dead on. It’s a process. A couple top level recruits a year will quickly build to more.

Very excited for this upcoming season.

I don't expect us to compete for the national team title. I'd be thrilled with a top five finish. But I'd like to see at least 3 or 4 All-Americans each year, with a couple of Sooners wrestling in the finals. When I was young, I recall OU held the record for most consecutive years with at least one national champion.

Red/White scrimmage tomorrow.. Anyone going..?

Sent from my LG-K428 using Tapatalk

Been a Sooner wrestling fan since seeing 1st dual meet in '57. Don't have to get to the peak like Port had us, then Tommy, then Stan but PLEASE make OU Wrestling respectable again.
    Thanks to the above for updates and keep them coming.

Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    Red/White scrimmage tomorrow.. Anyone going..?

No, I can't.

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Been a Sooner wrestling fan since seeing 1st dual meet in '57. Don't have to get to the peak like Port had us, then Tommy, then Stan but PLEASE make OU Wrestling respectable again.
    Thanks to the above for updates and keep them coming.

we will be.

We went to BA and did a workout with Guerro for USA wrestling. Guerro is now running the Oklahoma Training Center, which is going to make Oklahoma kids better. He runs a tight ship, again I am not a huge fan, but this is a good way to get the foundation built and then you hope OU gets some of these kids since it is in that part of the state.

2017-18 Red-White Scrimmage Matchups

125 Christian Moody, RSo. (RED) vs. Dalton Duffield, So. (WHITE)
    133 Clay Vincent, RFr. (RED) vs. Jacob Rubio, RJr. (WHITE)
    141 Mike Longo, Sr. (RED) vs. Noah Teaney, RJr. (WHITE)
    149 Dom Demas, Fr. (RED) vs. Davion Jeffries, Jr. (WHITE)
    157 Justin Thomas, RFr. (RED) vs. Jared Schieber, RJr. (WHITE)
    165 Jeremy Thomas, RFr. (RED) vs. DaWaylon Barnes, Sr. (WHITE)
    174 Yoanse Mejias, Sr. (RED) vs. Anthony Mantanona, Fr. (WHITE)
    184 Hayden Hansen, RSo. (RED) vs. Matt Waddell, Fr. (WHITE)
    197 Andrew Dixon, Sr. (RED) vs. Jake Woodley, Fr. (WHITE)
    HWT Connor Webb, Fr. (RED) vs. Lance Dixon, RJr. (WHITE)

Lots of rookies in the red and white.

Most interested in the 125 battle that began last year and how the rookies fare in the 149 through 184 matches.

2017-18 Red-White Scrimmage Matchups

125 Christian Moody, RSo. (RED) vs. Dalton Duffield, So. (WHITE)
    133 Clay Vincent, RFr. (RED) vs. Jacob Rubio, RJr. (WHITE)
    141 Mike Longo, Sr. (RED) vs. Noah Teaney, RJr. (WHITE)
    149 Dom Demas, Fr. (RED) vs. Davion Jeffries, Jr. (WHITE)
    157 Justin Thomas, RFr. (RED) vs. Jared Schieber, RJr. (WHITE)
    165 Jeremy Thomas, RFr. (RED) vs. DaWaylon Barnes, Sr. (WHITE)
    174 Yoanse Mejias, Sr. (RED) vs. Anthony Mantanona, Fr. (WHITE)
    184 Hayden Hansen, RSo. (RED) vs. Matt Waddell, Fr. (WHITE)
    197 Andrew Dixon, Sr. (RED) vs. Jake Woodley, Fr. (WHITE)
    HWT Connor Webb, Fr. (RED) vs. Lance Dixon, RJr. (WHITE)

Lots of rookies in the red and white.

Most interested in the 125 battle that began last year and how the rookies fare in the 149 through 184 matches.
    Mejias v. Mantanona....

Jeffries, both Thomas brothers, mejias win

Lance Dixon has really blown up to be a hvt. And he's listed as only 6'.
    Is Mantanona not going to able to crack the starting lineup at either 165 or 174?

It means we're very thin at hwt

We'll see about Mantanona. Wrestled a senior tonight. Redshirting wouldn't be end of world. I think he'll be a good one.

Somehow I missed the 125 bout.

We'll see about Mantanona. Wrestled a senior tonight. Redshirting wouldn't be end of world. I think he'll be a good one.
    Mejias was the most talented guy on the team last year, just very inconsistent...

Somehow I missed the 125 bout.

they didn't wrestle, I don't know why. I think Duffield goes up to 133, I know he beat Moody last year but he caught him. Moody will be the 125lbr next year.
    The following users like this post: nocalsooner

Originally Posted by 61sooner View Post
    Lance Dixon has really blown up to be a hvt. And he's listed as only 6'.
    Is Mantanona not going to able to crack the starting lineup at either 165 or 174?

the Dixon's have underachieved big time. They were highly recruited out of highschool and they have not done shit. Great kids, but did not continue to get better

I know this is Sooner wrestling, but the wrestling community is a smaller one so thought I'd let you all know in case you all know him (since his family is a long time Oklahoma wrestling family). Stillwater High Head Coach Doug Chesbro lost his son last night in a one car accident in Texas. His son was married with several kids. Good kid. Sad deal.

Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    I know this is Sooner wrestling, but the wrestling community is a smaller one so thought I'd let you all know in case you all know him (since his family is a long time Oklahoma wrestling family). Stillwater High Head Coach Doug Chesbro lost his son last night in a one car accident in Texas. His son was married with several kids. Good kid. Sad deal.
    Todd? heading to google now, thanks Keef

Originally Posted by H82Lose View Post
    Todd? heading to google now, thanks Keef

Todd is Doug’s little brother.
    The following users like this post: H82Lose

Originally Posted by Keef View Post
    I remember Todd. Had not heard about the wreck- no good.

More PinFall Recruiting Retweeted ⚡️Curry Jaryn ⚡️
    Top 25 170 Jaryn Curry - Choctaw, OK 2x State Champ with a 3rd place medal as well is going to Oklahoma (@OU_Wrestling)! In the #PFRdatabase.

Not much into wrestling but this kid from Choctaw commited to OU yesterday
    4 users like Drake's post: 61sooner, H82Lose, nlight1, nocalsooner

Well, this is a nice way to start the morning ....

Well, this is a nice way to start the morning ....

The rest of the day wasn't so nice...

Originally Posted by northspeter View Post
    The rest of the day wasn't so nice...

I watched the last two duals. I’m just a fan, but since there is rarely any discussion in this forum, I thought I’d throw out my observations (more informed folks may have had a completely different reaction):

Moody is a stud. This kid is going to keep getting better. He gave Suriano all he could handle, and he dominated a solid wrestler in Cox.

Rubio Looked fairly solid against very good wrestlers. Not sure if anyone else will be at this weight for us, but he can be a contributor. I like his attitude and the way he competes.

I feel like Longo has improved from last year (physically and technically) , and I think he can be a big contributor this year—but he didn’t have a great day. He needs to get on his offense. Felt like he was wrestling very conservatively. Based on what I saw at the Michigan State tourney, he has the technique to wrestle with anyone, and should be wrestling with confidence. Obviously Jack is a likely NCAA finalist, but Longo should have given him more of a match. He will get it going. I love this kid.

Jeffries drives me crazy sometimes. He routinely turns simple takedowns against into back points against, with his undisciplined (to my eyes) wrestling. Sometimes it is best to give up the two points and count on your own scoring to get back in it. I think he exposes his legs way too often, and has a tendency to lose his cool during matches. When he wrestles with discipline he can be very good—even great. Tons of talent. The kid he beat from NC State is a solid wrestler (although he was very low energy for some reason). The NC State match was a solid performance by Jeffries. His actions against DeLuca, however, were silly.

Thomas bothers. First time I ever saw them on the mat. Really liked what I saw. Competed hard. Lou will turn these kids into beasts.

Barnes. This kid is fun to watch, but it feels like he is always looking for the big move. Can be frustrating, but it sure is fun to watch when he cradles these guys up. I hope he gets more mat time, becomes I really like him and it feels like more live reps will make him much better.

Mejia’s. So talented, but it feels like he sometimes wrestles a little "lazy". He seems completely lost on top—not unlike a high school stud trying to adapt to college rules. Never tries to ride guys. Maybe that is how Lou wants him wrestling. I don’t know the technique of the sport well enough to judge, but I sure would like to see him going at it harder and not giving up so quickly in certain positions. He could be dominant if he could keep guys on the mat.

Waddell looks like a tough kid. Another one that will be fun to watch Lou develop.

Dixon. To my eyes, he is easily the most improved wrestler since last year. Just incredible how much better he looks to me on his feet, and he is wrestling hard. Not sure if it is the cumulative effect of Lou's program, or working with Heflin, but they have this kid looking good. Nice to see.

Webb. Wrestles hard, but watching the heavyweights makes me appreciate how good Ross was. In each of the last two duals, as we dropped a few matches, I kept thinking how different I would feel if I knew our heavyweight had a high probability of getting us 6 points!

My overall observation is that our guys need to protect legs better (too many easy takedowns given up), and get off bottom. How about that for great insight ; - ) Those two things really hurt us in those duals.

These were two really good teams we wrestled in the last two duals. I view NC State as a good example of what OU's program can become in a short period of time. Good to get tests like this early in the season—gives Lou and the wrestlers a good feel for how they stack up against top competition. We have a ways to go to get back in the upper tier. That said, I’m not discouraged at all. It seems like we have a lot of great kids, and Lou and his team will keep improving them on the mat.

Look forward to watching this team develop.
    2 users like NYSoonerFan's post: nocalsooner, northspeter

I like all of this, thank NY. Moody is from our high school he will be good. Jeffries was from our school too but ended up st BA. Agree 100% here too. He tries too much funk all the time

Managed to watch a number of the matches on Flo this weekend. The team looked strong this weekend. I felt like our guys wrestled hard, and they generally handled the competition that they should have handled. When facing the better wrestlers from Missouri, they struggled a bit more. That said, I thought it was a good showing and they won some of those tough matches.

All the positive things I commented on last week were on display. Just loving the way Dixon is competing. Doesn’t look anything like the kid I watched over the last few years.

Also watched OSU dismantle Minn on Sunday night. Wow—we’ve got work to do!

We didn't look too impressive in Vegas, I go back and forth with this team. Jeffries is the biggest disappointment to me, he cannot stay consistent.

I agree with you. I was able to watch a few of the matches on Flo. There seemed to be less energy with our guys than I saw in some earlier events.

Hoping they start to get it going soon.